main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

Good observation! April 14 it is. Was RO shareholders reel different from the teaser and/or BTS?

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    How in the name of all that's holy can you denounce the simple line "Who are you?" as predictable and bland, without any context regarding narrative or character?

In Lawrence of Arabia, a man on a motorbike shouts a number of times across a canal to Lawrence, asking: "Who are you?"

Given the identity crisis Lawrence is suffering from in that moment (and really, perpetually as a man that fits in nowhere) it's a compelling line with great character subtext. And when you couple it with the visual language of the scene, it goes from a great line to a classic one.

And yet, based on a tweet, you are already declaring this line from Luke as predictable and bland?

On top of that, if Luke genuinely doesn't know who Rey is at this moment, what should he say?

"I know you not. Name yourself! And quickly. For I am weary of mysteries, and shan't suffer another this day."

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Who are you?" could so easily be the opening of a lesson that goes as such:

"Who are you?"
    "You know who I am... I'm Rey. Your student."
    "Luminous beings are we... er... I mean we are luminous beings, not this crude matter."

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    "who are you" means so many things: who do you believe you are, how do you define your identity, how important is identity to you, how much faith (self-esteem) do you have in yourself, where do you come from, what are you in the depths of your soul, what do you remember, who are you to me, what is your purpose...

the question speaks to the very essence of a person, to a person's idea of themselves, and to how attached they are to that idea.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Ah, the Star Wars equivalent of a knock-knock joke!

Gigoran Monk and vncredleader like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Precisely. And we went into this knowing that the sequel trilogy has designs at being more "spiritual" or "metaphysical" than the prior films. Unless that agenda was abruptly abandoned for some reason. "Who are you" is a central theme in spiritual growth... even amongst people who are fully aware of their outer identities.

7. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    I've cracked the code. Luke was answering rey after she asked what his favourite song was.

#mythbusted

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    For what it's worth, the first line of Hamlet:

"Who's there?"

(It's well known amongst scholars that Hamlet is the most bland and predictable of the Shakespeare canon.)

9. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Maybe it's: Whew, our yew?

He's asking if their tree is OK. :p

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Luke: Who are you?
    Rey: I'm...
    Luke: Do or do not. There is no try.
    Rey: Wha...that doesn't make any...
    Luke: That is why you fail.
    Rey: Wait. Are you just repeating Yoda quotes?
    Luke: Around the survivors, a perimeter create.
    Rey: On second thought, I think I'll keep this.
    Luke: Mine!

11. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015
  12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    MINE OR I WILL HELP YOU NOT

btw we need MeBeJedi to post now...

MeBeJedi likes this.
  13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That last one is great. Just random orders.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That is a baffling way to spell Romeo and Juliet, a play that needs to stop being forced on ninth grade English students effective immediately.

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What do you have against Romeo and Juliet being taught in schools?

16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  17. stoteh

stoteh Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2015
    How the hell has this been allowed to be leaked out? If this is indeed footage from a trailer (but I guess it might not be), then how have Disney allowed this reporter to flood twitter with it? If they plan on releasing a teaser soon, everyone, including people who don't like spoilers, will know a bit of to expect. Btw yes this does mean I can see this information flooding fb and news sites in the next few days lol.

18. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

He says "luke grasps his lightsabre with two hands, goes to a wide shot where luke looks up at rey and then it cuts"

19. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

Leak out? Its a shareholder meeting where they openly show content for upcoming movies. It's a way to market and keep the investors happy that Disney is producing good content.

They did they same for Rogue One.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  20. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

That was the scene they showed before the collection of clips. It was a tease. Really short.

Charlie07 likes this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Eh, I'm quite fond of Shakespeare. Hamlet is one of the few things that stayed with me after high school.

Strongbow and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Charlie07 and oncafar like this.
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh, I adore Shakespeare, to the extent that I tried to make a timeline of al his works as of it were a shared universe, mostly out of boredom (partialy for a personal project), and Hamlet is one of my favorite of his plays. I was just throwing shade at R&J, which... I do not like.

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Shared universe? Gives new meaning to "Shakespeare canon".

PymParticles likes this.
  25. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Winner of CCC Seinfeld Trivia Night star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Another day with intriguing bits of info. It begins... :D Like others have said, "Who are you" could mean lots of things from deep existential questions to Luke pulling a Yoda of sorts. I recall that line also from the TFA trailer spoken by Maz, though it didn't make it to the movie. I wonder if this the idea was scrapped and moved to TLJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.