main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

Presumably the change was made at Lucas' whim, I would imagine. Since in Ghosts of Mortis, Filoni picked two Sith Lords - one of which was Bane - and seemed prepared to stay true to his EU appearance.

I don't know if Lucas was adamant about, or even cared what Bane's face looked like. But I assume that Filoni came to Lucas with artwork of Bane from the comics and that Lucas didn't like it and instead favored the idea of Bane in more Samurai-like attire. So it's possible that he's still a bald human that looks very much like he did previously. But as far as attire goes, I'm guessing the implication was that Lucas did not like this:

[​IMG]

And preferred this:

[​IMG]

As for the embers, I think that is just part of the hellish nature of the vision, not part of what he would have looked like in life. Though still looking more like Shredder and less like Uncle Fester with a Dracula cape.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It made me think of Shredder as well.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Bane is the Sauron to Dark-Yoda's Gollum.

4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Indeed.
    [​IMG]
    Credit to 7hot-feanorians at DA.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Good analogy Revanfan1. That's exactly what I thought when I just saw this now. =D=

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's very Shredder-like actually, now that you mention it. Which means it's Samurai-like, which means it's Vader-like.

***dammit TCW. Is it really so hard to sell villains with original designs? Does everything have to be vaguely reminiscent of something in the films for it to work? ****ing casuals man, sapping the creativity out of everything.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's so obvious now- Palpatine was copying Bane's look when he picked out Vader's suit, just like he copied everything from Vitiate's empire. ;)

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Would not be surprised if some EU person puts that in there book.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It would have been interesting to see revan in this arc.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Currently it's supposed to be done in the same style as certain Sith War Droids:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vader's_Armor

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    In the yoda arc I mean.

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Our final addition to the edifice that is the EPCCCC is now complete!
    The Finis Floor for Characters Who Should Be Dead’ is now open!

[​IMG]
    However, now that the show has wrapped up formalities for this organisation will henceforth cease. We cannot promise that we won’t re-open this centre when Rebels rolls around with a new name like the Garm bel-Iblis Centre, or some such, though.
    Here is the final list of items that cause confusion for us through the six seasons of the show.
    May the Force be with you into the future! Jack, out.

· Ryloth
    ·
    Even Piell

·
    Mon Calamari having a monarchy

·
    Greedo's backstory

·
    Dengar's backstory

·
    Hound's Tooth backstory and how Bossk acquired it.

·
    Not a huge problem, but could use an explanation how Wilhuff Tarkin became a "Captain" when he had retired from the Republic military service as a Commander. It would've been more fitting to see him as a politician alongside Palpatine than some Jedi servant.

·
    Seeing R6 and R7 astro units. They aren't even supposed to be seen until after the GCW.

·
    Dac's capital is not Mon Calamari City. It's Coral City.

·
    Be consistent with Dac's name. I realize Dac's name was not all that consistent in the past, but saying "Mon Cala" as supposed to just "Mon Calamari" is inexcusable. No other source said that before TCW.

·
    I would mention this as an issue, but apparently they already fixed the issue with Mandalore's capital. Keldabe is the actual capital while that glass dome Sundari is only the New Mandalorian's capital.

·
    New Mandalorians...

·
    Jango was a Mandalorian...

·
    Boba was a Mandalorian...

·
    Ventress = Rattataki

·
    Maul = Zabrak and Iridonian

·
    The Mortis trainwreck and its spreading throughout canon

· Grievous: his stupid purposed backstory. Jason Fry making people choose between the shuttle crash vs. his stupid proposed backstory. Just go with the shuttle crash and find something to fix how he became a badass to just being plain garbage.

· Originally it was Mace who created Greivous’ cough, but thanks to TCW, not anymore....
    ·
    Anakin having a Padawan

·
    Anakin being knighted so early

·
    Anakin and Obi-Wan not meeting Magnaguards for first time in ROTS, as per novel

·
    Jango's helmet blowing up

·
    Anakin and Tarkin meeting during the Clone Wars

·
    Anakin seemingly having the scar before Republic #71 dueling Ventress

·
    Ventress' and Maul's backstory

·
    Mandalore becoming Mauldalore; where does Spar fit in?

·
    Onaconda Farr's death

·
    Malastare government

·
    Boba Fett – the whole timeline of his CW exploits is up in the air.

·
    Grievous and Ventress' first meeting

·
    Gardulla

·
    Darth Maul's survival

·
    Eeth Koth still alive

· Teckla killed by Embo

· Adi Gallia killed by Savage

· Sifo-Dyas' lightsaber not given to Grievous anymore, rather left behind in his shuttle

· Jedi only discover Tyranus is Dooku towards the war's end, unlike when they used to know from mid-point

· Valorum is still alive in 19BBy, despite supposedly already dying in 21BBY.

Order 66 is now a brainwash command created before birth of the clones

· Moraband as opposed to the name that has existed previously: Korriban.

[​IMG]

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    So the problem isn't that they discover this fact at all, but that they discover it too late?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I thought season 6 took place in 20bby not 19bby but it really does not matter because he is still alive. I will also be amazed if the clone wars era EU stays Canon after what TCW has done.

16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Migrating a newer topic over here to revive the discussion; here were my instances of conflict with the movies created by TCW:
    • Anakin and Obi-Wan meeting Dooku. It's clear from the dialogue in Revenge of the Sith that their duel was a long-awaited rematch and not one of like 10 encounters in the past few years.
    • Obi-Wan meeting Grievous. Another case of Grievous introducing himself in Revenge of the Sith, and revealing his lightsabers and arms for the first time to Kenobi. Why would he introduce himself if he met Obi-Wan multiple times in the Clone Wars?
    • Anakin taking an apprentice was something highly unlikely within the films
    • Darth Maul being brought back was never suggested within the films (until Solo made it canon in the Disneyverse), though this was apparently suggested by George Lucas, and apparently Lucas would have had Maul live past Return of the Jedi.
    • The Clone Wars assumes the merchandising switch-up of the Jedi Council members that is not a part of the film continuity (Eeth Koth became Agen Kolar, Adi Gallia became Stass Allie). Narratively, splitting them into different characters creates a plot hole where the council members seen earlier in the film are not in the group that is supposedly all of the Jedi currently in the temple.
    There was another continuity mess around the character of Lott Dod. His actor confirms that he was the Neimoidian senator present as Nute Gunray's companion on Geonosis. The original Clone Wars shows his fate is being captured after a Republic victory at the Battle of Muunilist.
    [​IMG]
    I'm wondering whether the timeline of The Clone Wars retcons this by Lott Dod's presence in the series (I'm not certain of the timeline)
    [​IMG]

The concept of Mandalorians is pretty messy. Logic says that there were no Mandalorians before the creation of Boba Fett. That was simply a vague term invented to suggest some sort of belonging and backstory. But now that term doesn't even apply to the character that coined it? What was the thought process? The same thing happened with the Tonnika sisters. They were retconned to be different characters than the previously established canon had their heights wrong. So the current characters are new characters disguised as the original characters.

Anyways, Boba Fett's backstory changed a bit since the original 70s outline simply had him carrying a grudge after the group of Mandalorian warriors he belonged to was defeated in the Clone Wars by Jedi Knights. Later it was specified that he also had a feud with the Skywalkers, suggesting some kind of interaction with Anakin in the Clone Wars (which would also assume he didn't know who Darth Vader really was). Though in the end, we see the roots of his hatred of Jedi in Attack of the Clones. I think his connection to the Mandalorians was still in place since he was simply following in the footsteps of his Mandalorian father, which would include him by proxy. I do applaud the Clone Wars for simply including the Mandalorians in the conflict, but eliminating Jango (and Boba) from their ranks breaks the canon just a little bit.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The original CW show is not canon anymore.

Erkan12 likes this.
  18. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    The fandom at large has largely rejected the canon system now.

Snafu55 likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Doesn’t really matter. Especially when talking about contradictions

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Citation needed.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Everyone on Reddit loves to throw the word canon and legends. The amount of times I see people talking about the Fetts being Mando and it always ending in it isn’t canon or what have you shows that people very much care what Disney considers canon

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    In fact it was. It was stated by Pablo that the unfinished arcs were considered to have happened.

*Continuing the discussion from the TCW thread since we have a couple of people who are acting like Emperor Palpatine in the TV forum.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    cwustudent likes this.
  23. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    As someone who is a supporter on following 'what is/isn't canon' I can understand how things can get messy. After all, if 'character A' does THIS in one source, but then 'Character A' does THAT in another source at the same time, what do you believe?

I used to run detailed presentations on the whole canon process for our club meetings and what to do when there is mistake. Ironically the Story Group were specifically created to avoid continuity/timeline errors but they still happen from time to time (hey even the original GL films contradicted each other on occasions).

In any event there is still level of seniority to follow, so if two things do clash there is a system to fall back on to help clear things up.
    1) Films -----> Anything mentioned in a film is lore, however, if one film contradicts another then by default the latest release film is correct
    2) Live Action TV shows ------> So far this only accounts for Mandalorian
    3) Animated TV shows -------> This does NOT include CW micro series. Mainly TCW, Rebels and FOD
    4) Books ------> Novels from 2012 onward
    5) Comics -------> from 2012 onward

If there is anything left over from the old EU days which isn't contradicted by ANYTHING mentioned above, then you can pretty much slot that in, at least until it is either verified in canon or replaced by something else.

It is the way. :)

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree Pablo did say that or something along those lines, but those statements seem to no longer be true or it’s more vague as unless Beckett was lying he killed Aura. Perhaps The Mandalorian will shed some light on what happened to a Bane

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    spoilers, Bane's under the helmet.