main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Well damn. That was an All Good Things...-worthy finale.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Watched again with my son in law this morning and had him

pause it on the screen of the assault team going for the rail guns on the ring station. What a great list of easter eggs and between the two of us we got all but 3.

Point Given and FatBurt like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I got several at the time (these guys LOVE Aliens) but figured someone would screencap and cover it...

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-expanse-series-finale-easter-eggs/

yankee8255 and Healer_Leona like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Brilliant finale. My God. That fight was almost as intense as the Vespa bike chase in the Book of Boba Fett!

Seriously, though, it was so great to see John Snow, I mean, James Holden get chosen for that crucial bridge-building role. And then the pivot to Drummer! Absolutely perfect. And I think Averasala was redeemed, while also not simply being “right” in the end. It was James and his non-nationalistic humane approach that won out. And a humane Belter who gets to hold that power they never held. Great storytelling.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I liked the ending, it felt like a suitable resolution whilst also leaving the Laconia threads dangling should they manage to agree to continue either with Amazon or another production company.

As it stands, I can leave it there. A thoroughly satisfying adaptation of an excellent series of books (WoT writers please take note).

Covering off the Laconia endgame would be superb if they could do it and to this high level of quality.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This obviously isn't Game of Thrones in space, or else we'd have...
    Drummer losing most of her fleet by "forgetting" the rail guns near Medina station, then Drummer blowing up Ceres after becoming president of the Transport Union, only to be stabbed by Naomi. and then resurrected boy Xan becoming leader because he has the best story

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    FatBurt and Healer_Leona like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yesterday, I watched two excellent TV show finales in one day - The Expanse and Station Eleven. Unprecedented in my TV watching career. It was a good day.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I have to share the drawing my son in law did for me.

[​IMG]

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  11. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    So if there was going to be a relaunch of the show continuing the story, we would've heard something by now, right? Like I can just give up on that fantasy now?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not even remotely.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This was just an excellent show, with a great finale. It would have been perfect if a competent artist had designed the space ship and space station interiors (you know, so they didn't look like futuristic fire escapes), and if Jon Snow had just a touch more personality, but I can overlook that. Enjoyed it almost as much as BSG.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well it’s supposed to be “realistic” though space travel is still a little too fast.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    What's wrong with the ship interiors?

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They’re ugly as sin? Belter interiors are generally better, but man is that Roci interior (and Marco’s ship’s interior) a totally uninspired design. Anyway, I love the show. It’s just not that great visually when it comes to space-faring.
    I get and respect that. But there’s a way to blend realism with great design. My guess is that the concept artists that created the initial look of the Roci interior, for example, weren’t the best in the business (wasn’t initially a huge budget for the show), but that aesthetic simply got locked in as the show progressed and the budget increased.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way. They’re almost objectively uninspired-looking in every respect.

But it’s a nitpick from a huge fan of the show, so…it’s fine. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    dp

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The Roci was a warship. Aesthetics are never high on the design side of warships. Utilitarian and easy to fix is the name of the game.

mobile drive by post

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. But there’s a way to combine utilitarian with good design. That’s literally the job description for concept artists designing these things. Make it look useful, but cool. Instead, the Roci interior looks like the stairwell of my college gymnasium.

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I mean, it looks like a stairwell because it basically is.

Ghost and FatBurt like this.
  21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    That wasn't a bad ending, sad to see the show finish. Looking forward to a complete Blu-ray box set now

Healer_Leona likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What do people think of the book series ending?

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    If I remember correctly from the first book, the Show design is pretty spruced up. The design in the books is completely functional.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Spruced up or not, it’s just ugly and boring as a design. And functional doesn’t mean it can’t look cool. I’m not saying I wanted a shiny Star Trek bridge. Just something better than metal stairs with railings and some swively computers.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The realism is part of the appeal.

yankee8255 likes this.