main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If you had a continuum of all sci fi tv shows ever made, with the BSG remake at the very top and Star Trek: The Next Generation at the very bottom, where would The Expanse fall, more or less?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    About the same place Lord Vivec would fall on a continuum of all guesses about film grosses ever made, with "everyone's predictions for TFA" on one side and "Kylo Ren's Jurassic World prediction."

Lord Vivec and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ....does BSG have to be at the top? Also I don't understand what this continuum is saying.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Look, it's simple. Rank every sci fi tv show ever made including the Expanse. Send me the list, notarized with a $25 money order to cover processing fees.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm finally caught up! Yay international travel!

Also, BSG sucks and The Expanse is awesome, so there's that, Other-Jabba.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The cumulative honor of all the characters on the Expanse don't equal the individual scores for any number of BSG characters. You are a lunatic.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, I couldn't ever get into nuBSG, because I grew up with BSG marathons on Thanksgiving and I didn't like the changes from the original, so I am inclined to agree with such an assessment.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well the benefit I think for me is that the Mormons are clearly presented correctly as utter lunatics with too much money. BSG on the other hand was a thinly veiled Mormon parable so I guess I can see why some of you who, as adults, believe in magical fairies named Jesus, would enjoy it.

The Expanse though is exponentially better than BSG. If Wocky were anyone he would be Anderson Dawes.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I finally got around to finishing Babylon's Ashes. It....was my least favorite of all the books. My thoughts from goodreads.

really wanted to like this book. And you know what? In any other context, this would be a good book. But stories don't exist in a vacuum. Without giving away spoilers, the story of The Expanse was set in motion by a major event in Leviathan Wakes, and the story kept building in each subsequent book. But more importantly, the one thing that made this universe, this series, unique, was the main mystery of the Protomolecule and its effects. The Nemesis Games arrived, and it took a back seat to the current plot. The only problem is, the story of Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes is at best the B plot of one novel. Instead, what we get is two books where this B plot is THE plot. We have entered the realm of generic 20-minutes-into-the-future Faction A vs Faction B with nothing to make it unique. And that's the sad thing, because if this was the plot to only Nemesis Games, I would have been okay. But because it's been dragged out all the way through Babylon's Ashes as well, it's actually retroactively reduced my enjoyment of Nemesis Games.

A lot of people liked this story, and if you liked the direction Nemesis Games went in, you'll probably like Babylon's Ashes as well. But I didn't. I had to put the book down for months at a time because the plot didn't interest me. And I'm not sure I'll be reading the next book. I'll be waiting to read the synopsis to decide.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've watched up to episode 3 of season 2 and I like this show a lot. It has a fairly realistic portrayal of what the future would be like if society as it is now colonized the solar system-- that is, it's Capitalism... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

I love that the show answers a lot of my questions about the world. I really appreciate when people who write this **** actually try to build a coherent universe. For example, I was thinking, "If Earth has 30 billion people and Martians are still living in domes, then how the hell is Mars a threat to Earth?" And then the show gave an answer: they've delayed the terraforming project by centuries in order to make their military match/exceed Earth's. (That's horrifying, by the way.)

I love the way the characters are portrayed. Holden is kind of bland, but I think he's supposed to be more of an audience avatar? (Maybe it's just the actor.) Amos is one of the most terrifying "good guys" I can remember encountering. And I love that Miller just ****ing shot Mengele. I understand why others were upset with him for it, but it was a satisfying response to that guy's monstrous rationalization.

Maybe I'll get around to the books at some point.

EDIT: I don't understand the Mormon thing, unless the author has some sort of bone to pick. Why not Jehovah's Witnesses? Scientologists? A made-up cult?

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I love the Expanse. I truly do.

The second season was grand.

As for Mormons....why not Mormons?

redxavier likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Frankly, because they are the most-likely Christianity sect to be into space-exploration -- as well as the Generation Ship makes total sense to Mormons going to find their own planet...

... also it may be an in-joke for Battlestar Galactica.

Count Yubnub, TX-20 and Ender Sai like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Persepolis Rising, the latest book, is out this coming Tuesday.

Persepolis means "the Persian City" or "City of the Persians", it was a ceremonial capital of an empire.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    How many books are there? And have they been releasing them at a regular pace? hate to see The Expanse run into a GOT situation where the show outpaces the source material to adapt.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The latest book is number 7 I think and the authors appear to be getting them out every 1 to 2 years so I don't think the show Will outpace the books.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The latest book is number 7 I think and the authors appear to be getting them out every 1 to 2 years so I don't think the show Will outpace the books.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The2ndQuest likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's funny that Persepolis Rising comes after Babylon's Ashes considering Persia conquered Babylonia.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So has anyone started on PR yet?

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, the Trump Administration pretty much ensured the destruction of PR...

... oh, you meant the book! :p I haven't read past book 1 because I'm a cheap ******* and wait for them to show up on Kindle deals. Got Book 1 for $1.99...

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    another thing you could do is use your library. just a thought!

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I prefer to support my entertainment financially, you non-bootstrapping hippie! :p

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    then pay full price you cheapskate! :p

Ender Sai and Lord Vivec like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But... I'm Jewish!

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gonna start on the TV show soon. Finished Abaddon's Gate the other day and am just starting Cibola Burn.