main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I got Elvi Okoye, which is pretty cool, I'll take it!

oh yeah the finale...well that ruled! Had to advise my friend who's reading corresponding books before watching the new season to just read all the books that are available before watching this because

LACONIA BABYYY

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    mavjade likes this.
  2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I got Fred.

Ghost likes this.
  3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just bought the Kindle version of book 1 for 99p in Amazon's Deal of the Day. Anyone else in the UK who has liked the show and is curious about the books (but also cheap), today would be the day to pick up the first one.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My latest stickers on my car.

[​IMG]

Today had a car get real close at a light and I could see them pointing at the different stickers I have on Gort. Then a couple blocks later they were next to me. Honking, the driver rolled down his window to say he liked the stickers. The Expanse ones are on that side and when his passenger notice them he screamed "OPA sasa ke!"

I chuckled all the way home.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    One of my brother-in-laws does 3D printing for fun. He has three printers, all customised. One can use multiple different coloured plastics for printing. About a year ago, I asked him to print me a Roci. He said sure, and asked me to find the programming. I found two, one that just a solid grey (then you can hand paint) and one with colour. He preferred the grey one, but then spent about a month modifying to add colours (I could not find the Roci paint scheme, so it's the original)

After that he printed the hull in three sections. The back part kept failing - the printing is layers of 0.1mm so it can easily happen. The ship is about 45CM, so 4,500 layers. So he had to tweak the programming multiple times

He was not an Expanse watcher, but this side project got him into it, and he even printed one for himself aswell :)

I have the option of adding the four side guns, and if I want he'll put a light in the flame, which screws off, and a switch on the bottom of the ship.

It was printed at a 90 degree angle to how it is here, so I think the part that took the longest is where it says MCRN on the top, because four colours are used, and between each colour the printer has to purge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Don't let @mavjade see this or she's going to make me contact you on FB and get one for her... :p

(also, that's amazing! I wish one side of the base said "Legitimate salvage!")

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mean I can ask him. I have no idea of the cost though.

8. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    That is fantastic, I'm so jealous! lol

Diggy likes this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh wow, that is amazing!! (And I totally want one!)

Diggy likes this.
  10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    One of the many Expanse twitter accounts I follow retweeted this

guy made brilliant Lego bookends of the Roci going thru the Ring. Immediately thought of you @Lord Vivec

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    They've posted a description of Leviathan Falls (Book 9) on Amazon with a release date of November 16th. The James S.A. Corey website confirms this release date.

The Laconian Empire has fallen, setting the thirteen hundred solar systems free from the rule of Winston Duarte. But the ancient enemy that killed the gate builders is awake, and the war against our universe has begun again.

In the dead system of Adro, Elvi Okoye leads a desperate scientific mission to understand what the gate builders were and what destroyed them, even if it means compromising herself and the half-alien children who bear the weight of her investigation. Through the wide-flung systems of humanity, Colonel Aliana Tanaka hunts for Duarte’s missing daughter. . . and the shattered emperor himself. And on the Rocinante, James Holden and his crew struggle to build a future for humanity out of the shards and ruins of all that has come before.

As nearly unimaginable forces prepare to annihilate all human life, Holden and a group of unlikely allies discover a last, desperate chance to unite all of humanity, with the promise of a vast galactic civilization free from wars, factions, lies, and secrets if they win.

But the price of victory may be worse than the cost of defeat.

12. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    That sounds damn exciting! Just wish it wasn't the last one. :(

darthcaedus1138 and mavjade like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ah, give it 20 years.

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I'll just say I don't want to. :p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The first 3 chapters of the last book are available.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd been struggling whether to read them or not, then I saw a Ty Frank tweet that amazon pulled the chapters because some people got a glitch that sent them to the epilogue. That made me decide wait.

mavjade likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't know if it's been posted here but the short stories and novellas are getting a hardback collection. Due March 2022.

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

“the final season” :_|

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Also a reduced episode count, 6 episodes this season rather than 10 (or 13 if you remember back to Seasons 1-3)

Not super pleased with the reduced number, but I think between COVID precautions being taken on set and a possibly decreased budget this is the best we're gonna get keeping safety and overall quality in mind. So tentatively fine with it, but actually need to see the episodes/how the story plays out to know for sure.

Strange Dogs is going to be integrated into the season so I'm definitely interested to see how that plays out.

EDIT: Also Leviathan Falls got delayed back to November 30th, because of supply chain issues probably. I'm still hopeful I can finish the books before the show come out lol

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    6 episodes !? Eek, that's a red flag in some ways, but I found season 5 really dragged so maybe it can work for them.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah I think S4 and S5 get a lot of flak for draggng, I didn't mind overall but I think if S6 is very focused on the conflicts and tying up the story they've been telling it might address the issues people had.

I'm personally interested in seeing how they wrap up while keeping the door open for more, which I've gotten an impression they want to do.

They have time on their side, because
    the next 3 books are after a fairly large timeskip, and I could see them attempting to do (hopefully a series of 3) movies to wrap up the story. The Laconians being a big Imperial power make for much more battle and epic scale story so I think you might be able to wrap those up with shorter time....there's a lot to cover though. Even from the POV of us going into the final book there's so much to learn about the two alien groups, though Laconia seems to have mostly been defanged. Some great moments in 8 lol.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Personally didn't see any previous season dragging and while Ty is consoling some on twitter with '6 is better than 0' or better than more episodes of lesser quality, I would watch 10 seasons of them just trucking around the galaxies with no battles whatsoever.

mavjade and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Final trailer for final season...

darthcaedus1138 and mavjade like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like a good shoot 'em up, but I hope there's more to it.

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I started re-reading Babylon's Ashes, I'm 33% of the way through it and I understand why this can work better as 6 episodes. I'm sure they could have stretched it to 10, but 6 seems appropriate.

Gonna read this, then re-read the newest two books and then finally Leviathan Falls.

Healer_Leona likes this.