main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The extreme PT bashing/LOTR fanboys

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Shelley, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Why would a thread discussing Star Wars go in a non-Star Wars forum?

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Why would a thread discussing Star Wars go in a non-Star Wars forum?

Why would a thread discussing EP III in the AOTC forum be directed to the EP III forum?

Whether they are threads that are "discussing Star Wars" is a matter of debate. I'm using the Amphitheatre as an example. If an exact forum doesn't exist, one can be created. In an ideal world, LOTR threads could exist peacefully in the SW forums. In practice, this is not the case.

"Jar Jar vs. Gollum" (in terms of fully rendered characters) is a separate topic than "Boromir vs. Anakin as tragic heroes." Both are separate topics than "Palpatine vs. Sauron as paradigms of evil." All are germane and would provide interesting discussions.

"Gollum rulez!", "Jar Jar vs. Gollum", "Lucas wishes he could have made Gollum", etc. are redundant and would be locked.

Why force the mod to split hairs? Just make it easy and move LOTR discussions elsewhere.

3. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Are you suggesting that there should be a separate forum for all SW/Movie X comparisons?

4. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    Are you suggesting that there should be a separate forum for all SW/Movie X comparisons?

Sort of. But not when said like that because it sounds silly ;)

What I mean is that the AOTC forum should be about AOTC (and AOTC's relation to the other SW movies). Anything that falls outside of that range would be directed to a "misc" type of forum. It's just my personal opinion that this would improve the "atmosphere" there. I could be wrong. The TWoP forums are heavily regulated. Yet they are very enjoyable and filled with discussion.

There are many types of threads that want to compare LOTR (the franchise) to SW (the franchise). Currently, such a thread doesn't fit in any particular SW movie thread, but it would fit in a "misc" forum.

5. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Directing the discussion to a location deemed appropriate is not "stifling" discussion

Zid People, naturally, want to go where there's more traffic, and the topic is relavent. AOTC and Phantom Menace seem to be valid forums.

People will create threads where they will create them. It is a natural and fluid process. If they are redundant the mods will remove them.

6. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    People naturally, want to go where there's more traffic...

I don't believe that is relevant. When AOTC is new, then the TPM traffic goes down. So this argument would say that TPM posts are OK in the AOTC forum because there is more traffic there.

Heck, just have one large diluted forum where anything goes if "traffic" is the relevant variable.

7. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    If you read my reply, traffic + relevancy to topic are the variables.

Why should someone post an interesting topic in Amphitheater, where no one hardly goes?

And also, reading the opening post I don't think we should give a hoot to what the media thinks.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Maybe if people were directed to go to the Ampitheater, it would become busier.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *EDIT*
    Mis-read previous post [face_blush]

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    A few years ago, I posted at an XF message board. I was perhaps the only person there who didn't worship the ground Scully walked on and criticized her. I refused to back down. People, who felt free to snipe at Mulder, got angry with me and one told me to: "SHUT UP AND LEAVE SCULLY ALONE!" Several people applauded her and one said about me: "People have stopped posting because of her. She has basically ruined this board."

IMO, the bashers and LOTR fanboys have basically ruined this board with their venom and negativity, which is much stronger than my criticism of Scully on that XF board.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Only ruined in your mind. You seem to attach an awful lot of value to the opinions of others, Shelley.

Like I said: ignore the trolls and they'll go away. If it's a redundant thread, lock it and re-direct them.

12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't have the power to lock a thread. I see your point about putting too much value on their opinions, but ignoring them is hard to do when they spread their venom everywhere.

13. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    A few years ago, I posted at an XF message board. I was perhaps the only person there who didn't worship the ground Scully walked on and criticized her. I refused to back down. People, who felt free to snipe at Mulder, got angry with me and one told me to: "SHUT UP AND LEAVE SCULLY ALONE!" Several people applauded her and one said about me: "People have stopped posting because of her. She has basically ruined this board."

Maybe if people were directed to go to the Ampitheater, it would become busier.

Then you're saying that was bad?

You basically want to brush people off to some place where they won't be noticed.

I say where there's relevant discussion let it happen. If you go to the AOTC board right now there's a number of positive and negative threads, which is how it should be.

It is cyclical and a natural process where people post what they like, and what occurs to them. Taking away this vibrancy in the name of controlling "venom" is not wise. Let people be honest.

14. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Let people be honest? I've been banned any number of times because my honesty went against some rule or other, and sometimes even when it didn't.

Anti-EU people were directed to keep it in one thread, or "brushed off," if you will. I don't see why that has to be the case for the EU forums when it isn't for the movie forums.

And IMO, in many bashers' cases, they aren't "being honest," they are trying to start trouble. They create innumerable socks because slamming the PT under one name just isn't enough. It slants the forums toward basherdom, drives away people who like the prequels, and creates more negativity.

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Because the demographics and general behavior of regular users between the two forums are vastly different, for one.

We're not talking the broad, high-level posting concepts and philosophies. We're talking about arbitrary guidelines which act towards those high-level site goals that have been found to work for one forum, but not work for other forums because of those differences in general forum demographics.

The guidelines that you see in the Lit. Forum Welcome thread, have been developed based on the behavior, character and nature of the Literature forum such that it can run as smoothly as possible.

Quite simply stated, a number of those guidelines will not only not work for the movie forums, but would in fact cause widespread problems for the movie forums if they were applied there.

16. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Because the movies have a broad audience. That's why people come here to the movie boards, because Star Wars is a widely acclaimed movie phenomenon.

I don't know how many people read the EU.

Plus, if a thread doesn't have much interest, it'll die anyway.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    There are many types of threads that want to compare LOTR (the franchise) to SW (the franchise). Currently, such a thread doesn't fit in any particular SW movie thread, but it would fit in a "misc" forum.

There is a misc forum here, that kind of discussion would be perfect in there.

18. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    There is a misc forum here, that kind of discussion would be perfect in there.

My preference would be that all LOTR-related discussions be directed there, including comparing SW movie X to LOTR. I would like to see the SW movie forums more tightly focused. It would make them more useful to fans. My recurring themes are usefulness, utility and efficiency. It's inefficient to have "TTT vs. AOTC" belong in one place, "LOTR vs. TPM" in a second and "LOTR (the franchise) vs. SW (the franchise)" in yet a third place. These should all go together.

No discussions would be stopped, they would only be directed to the appropriate place. It's my opinion that this would be beneficial to both those who want to discuss AOTC (in the AOTC forum) and those who want to discuss LOTR (in the misc forum).

...ignore the trolls and they'll go away.

It doesn't work this way. LOTR fanboys and bashers post everywhere, throughout all of the threads. A few of them are determined to keep it up for months on end. There is too much to ignore. I again draw the analogy to a search engine. I don't want to have to wade through pages of search results to find what I'm looking for. It becomes too inefficient so I go elsewhere. Even with a broadband connection, visiting these forums is a matter of click, wait, wait, wait, wait, read. It's quite slow. Focusing the forums more tightly would help this.

If you go to the AOTC board right now there's a number of positive and negative threads, which is how it should be.

Positive/negative thread count is not a solid measure of the problem that Shelley and I are complaining about. The cynicism and negativity pervades the whole forum. I believe this is because many of us who like the movie have already gone elsewhere.

I say where there's relevant discussion let it happen.

My preference would be that anything outside the range of AOTC would be deemed relevant only in the misc forum.

Just ask yourself this question: Why do I not want to have one large SW movie forum where anything goes? The list of reasons you give in answer to that question is the same list I give for wanting the AOTC forum more tightly focused.

Shelley has described the situation very accurately.

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Thank you, Darth_Zidious.

I also consider "Just ignore the trolls and they'll go away" to be a copout. It is a copout for a teacher/principal to tell a fifth-grader who's being mercilessly picked on (to the point where it affects his health and grades) to "just ignore" the kids who are being cruel, and it's a copout to tell people who are sick and tired of the viciousness and negativity of posters trashing movies they like to "just ignore it." The trolls will NOT go away. Even if they leave, they only come back under new socks to start a whole new round of trouble.

As I said in my first post in this thread, the bashing isn't cyclical as Josh Griffin claimed. It has been going on for over three years, and the only variation is in the intensity of the viciousness.

20. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Here's an idea. Start your own board, so you can have everything to your liking. What do you want? Everyone to agree with you all the time? Do you want people punished for having a negative opinion towards something you obssessively love? This thread is absurd.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    That is not what I want, something I've made abundantly clear in my posts, but go ahead and think that if it makes you feel better.

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    What would you like?

23. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    What would you like?

These are my thoughts. I'm only speaking for myself.

Statement 1: The positive/negative overall tone of the AOTC forum is not something that can or should be controlled.

Hypothesis 1: The reason that the overall tone has gone so negative is that posters like me have left.

Hypothesis 2: Part of the reason posters like me have left is because of too much discussion about non-AOTC topics, with LOTR being a prime example. (Thus my comments about inefficiency and usefulness).

Proposal 1: Make the AOTC forum more narrowly focused. Only discussion of AOTC and the relation of AOTC to the other SW movies. All other discussion is directed to misc or where appropriate.

Hypothesis 3: With a more focused forum, the positive/negative balance may return to normal.

I may be completely and totally wrong, but these are my thoughts.

Thanks for listening.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for putting these thoughts and ideas out here for us to see. Have you talked with any of the AOTC mods about your ideas and thoughts?

25. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    I figured I was communicating my thoughts here, and that was enough. Even YodaJeff, one of the AOTC moderators, has been active in this thread.

My guess is that the policies at these forums have been carefully considered and so are unlikely to change in the manner that I wish. I am just happy to be able to express my thoughts.

And I didn't realize I was conversing with a Master of the Blue Yoda society. Ahhh....sweet memories of the leaf and the stick, if I remember correctly. Those were the days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.