main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rogue11lovesjag, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Has anyone in SW ever said 'get laid' or 'getting laid'? This is urgent.

2. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Earthknight: Has anyone in SW ever said 'get laid' or 'getting laid'?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Then again, I've only read most of the adult books, about 15% of the young adult books, none of the very young reader books, a few comic books by DH, and the Saga edition of the SW RPG. Also I've seen the six movies and the Clone Wars animated series, have vague nostalgic memories of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons, have been meaning to watch the made-for-TV Ewok movies, am wondering about the new animated movie, and have no idea how much of the audio book scripts made it to the actual recordings.

What I'm trying to say, basically, is that there is a lot of SW out there. The only people who can answer your question in a definitive way are a) those who have seen that particular expression used and b) one of those collectors who not only own everything, but have read/watched them and can remember all the details.

If this is merely a question of Earthisms in the GFFA, I suggest you use it if it seems right. It's your fic, after all.

This is urgent.

Um . . . take a deep breath or two, please. Unless someone is pointing a gun at your loved ones, it's rarely that urgent.

- lazy

3. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Final question: is a stun baton as strong as a electrostaff? Meaning can it deflect a lightsaber just like an electrostaff?

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Earthknight: is a stun baton as strong as a electrostaff? Meaning can it deflect a lightsaber just like an electrostaff?

*checks "stun baton" at SW Wiki*

Hmm . . . sounds like a souped-up version of these thingies. Short answer: no.

- lazy

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Are there 'fairy tales' in SW? I would like to use the term but think it might be too Earth-like.

6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    The idea of "fairies" seems too specific to apply to the GFFA as well. Ideally I would go with something like "old myths" or "oral tradition" but they're not always interchangeable with fairy tales. Maybe "bedtime stories"?

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks. It's meant to be insulting so I guess I'll have to think of something else.

8. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Insulting by using it as in 'you're delusional'? (you know, like 'you still believe in fairy tales?')

9. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    It's only a minor detail, but I've been going back and forth on this and would love any inputs. :)

During the Rebellion/Empire era, would Rebels issue dog tags (or the IU equivalent) to the members of their fighting force? Or are they too secretive for that?

Thanks! :)

10. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Hmmm. I don't think there's a definitive answer, but I like to think of "ragtag" as a keyword for the Rebellion, which leads me to think they wouldn't do something as administrative as getting dogtags made. Especially considering how many they'd need, that is just asking for the Alliance rep who made the order to get nabbed for seditious behavior.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of them would prefer to hide their identity so as to protect their family members.

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm looking for a planet that has cold and snowy winters that celebrates a holiday like Christmas during the winter. I know that's a bit vague, but I'm not really looking for anything specific, it just has to have snow and something like Christmas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

12. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Coruscant. There's snow and they celebrate fete week.

Outside of that, the only close holiday is Life Day from Kashyyk, and canon doesn't say yeah, or nay on snow for them.

Of course, you could just put it on some random world and have a generic yule-like celebration.

13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks, Face. I can certainly buy that. [face_peace] Maybe it could depend on the particular Rebel cell, too, whether they did it, didn't do it, left it optional, or never even thought about it.

14. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Hello all. I'm trying to think of a insulting term a Force user might use for someone who isn't Force sensitive. For example, Telepaths refer to normal people as 'Mundanes' in Babylon 5, and genetically-enhanced Coordinators call other humans 'Naturals' as an insult in Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny. The only idea I've come up with is a bit open to mocking, as my dear brother was so eager to point out...

Anyway, help would be appreciated!

15. NightSword

NightSword Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2008
    Zekk called Jag a "Force-blink space jockey" in Exile

Otherwise, I can't really think of anything else...

16. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Hmm... I'm looking for something a bit more... generic. Almost a racial slur, for the purposes of my fic.

Thanks anyway!

17. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Normals, maybe?

18. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    **smacks self over the head** Okay, that one is so obvious I cannot believe I didn't think of it. It's very good actually. Thanks!

19. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks! Glad I could be of help :)

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Can someone help me with writing about pregnancy? I'm likely to have a lot of questions, largely dealing with what it's like to be pregnant from conception to birth. If anyone has any useful links that might help in any way, that'd also be good.

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Is there a GFFA equivalent of action figures?

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure about action figures but in ANH after Luke first took the droids into their new home he had a toy shuttle. He was playing with it when C-3PO mentioned the rebellion. I think it's safe to assume that there might have been something like toy stormtroopers.

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Is there a virus or something that turns people into zombies? I remember seeing something on the wook, but I couldn't find it.

Edit: nevermind, I found what I was looking for. The Walking Dead Parasites.

24. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    A quick search found these fun-filled BRAAAAAINS-related infections for you to check out:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rakghoul_Plague

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Walking_Dead_parasite

Hopefully those should point you in the right direction

EDIT: I didn't see your edit [face_laugh]

25. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I need somebody to teach me military language and protocol.[face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.