main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Mira_Jade If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?

If you could have any job with no worry about skill/talent or actually making money, what would it be?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    @Mira_Jade what is your favorite mode of transportation? Car, boat, train, plane, walking, biking?

3. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    @Mira_Jade: who are the 10 people (past, present, fictional, &c.) you would invite to your next dinner party?

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    More great questions, all! I hope you're having as much fun reading my answers as I am writing them! :D

I most certainly would not have minded! It definitely would have made the story more interesting. [face_mischief]

I'm a plain Jane with my pizza: just good ol' fashioned cheese and pepperoni for me. But it's one of my favorite foods!

For burgers I like BBQ sauce and crispy onion rings and bacon. Yum! =P~

I do prefer a plain glazed doughnut, but custard filling is a close second. There's not really a doughnut I dislike, though. ;)

Oooh, spicy chile lime Cheetos! I can't get them here north in Michigan, but that's a always a must buy whenever I'm in the Southwest. [face_love]

Ooooh, this is such a hard question!!! There are so many amazing places in this world that I don't even know what to begin. I want to see everything there is to see! [face_hypnotized]

But Green island on the Great Barrier Reef is so high on my list, and probably the most difficult to get to. My next big trip I'm realistically planning will be to Iceland, though, most likely! :D [face_dancing] [face_love]

Without money being a question, I would love to work on my art full time. There could be nothing better! [face_love]

Well, I am very partial to airplanes, especially thanks to my job! [face_mischief] The science of aviation has always fascinated me as a whole, and flying has yet to lose its wonder!

To get more creative with that answer, though, I love hiking. And my kayak! Both are definitely essential to my heart and happiness. [face_love]

Oh! What a fun question!!

They would definitely be my favourite authors and artists! J. R. R. Tolkien, Jane Austen, Timothy Zhan, and Lin-Manuel Miranda would definitely be there! Alphonse Mucha, Michiel Sweerts, Omar Rayyan, Lisa Ann Watkins, Alyona Nickelsen, and Lisa Lachri would all have seats too on the artist side of things! Yep, I just want to sit down and pick everyone's brain! :D

What a fun question!! The first thing that jumped to mind is a peacock. Or a lion fish or a chameleon! Talk about lots of interesting possible design elements. Basically, playing around with colour and an unusual profile could lead to all sorts of fascinating world-building from there about their physiology, environments, and culture. [face_thinking]

[:D]

Kahara, divapilot, TheRynJedi and 7 others like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A follow up on those two questions:

What would you most like to see in SW: Space-Polynesian peacock-people, or Space-Mongolian lion fish-people or Space-Sami chameleon-people? And why?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What non-SW but Disney created/owned non-humans would you like to see in SW?

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW?

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A friendly reminder that there is one week left to ask @Mira_Jade all your questions!

9. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    What's your humble opinion of cats wearing cute, tiny hats? Which hats do you think cats should absolutely wear, which ones not? Asking for a friend. [face_whistling]

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew! Sorry to be late on these replies. DRL was particularly Sithy this week, lemme tell you. :p :oops: 8-}

I see what you did there! [face_thinking] A fascinating question that deserves a much longer and thought-out response than I'm going to give. I honestly can't think of particulars off of the top of my head - I usually world build in tandem with my stories and what my plot requires, but I am definitely going to stew on those and if/when I use them in a story you will be the first to know. :D

Another interesting question! I can't say that I could think of many off the top of my head, but the various non-humans of Lilo and Stitch immediately jumped to mind. The Grand Councilwoman, in particular, had a design that I always liked. :D

Oooh, the Alteans from Voltron or the Vulcans from Star Trek are two of my personal faves that I wouldn't mind seeing cross over. [face_thinking] :D

Well, I think that a cute cat wearing a cute hat makes the cuteness level jump exponentially. It's simple mathematics. If a cat decides to wear a hat, it should be worn, no questions asked. I would never tell a cat what not to wear. ;)

[:D]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you, @Mira_Jade, for an excellent first interview to get us all started on the right foot, and thank you to everyone who joined in the fun to ask questions of their own.

Next up is another one of our marvelous mods, @mavjade. Thank you for volunteering to be interviewed on this thread. Some starter questions to break the ice:

1) With published books, who are some of your favorite non Star Wars authors and why? Who are some of your favorite Star Wars authors and why? Have any of those authors influenced your own writing, and if so, how?

2) If you could have a Star Wars lightsaber of any color, what color would it be and why? If you could have a lightsaber of any design, what design would it be and why?

3) Which is the most delicious New York City cuisine: pizza, bagels, or deli sandwiches? Why?

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Woot! I'm excited to answer some questions!
    Thank you Mira for giving us some insight into you! And thank you devilinthedetails for hosting this thread! It's always fun to learn about each other!

And I'm going to say sorry from the beginning, I tend to be long winded.

Oh... starting off with a hard one!
    For non Star Wars published materials, I don't know that I really have a favorite author. Kinda weird, I know, but I tend not to read a book just because so-and-so wrote it. And I find I'm mostly reading non-Fiction the last few years, so if I had to say someone it would probably be Ron Chernow. The way he writes biographies and history is really engaging. In fiction, I do really like young-adult stuff, The Giver is probably my favorite book of all time, I love Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Looking back at my Kindle, it looks like the last fiction I read was The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman. I liked it, but I like the TV show much better.

As for SW authors, I pretty much stick to old school: Aaron Allston, Tim Zhan, Troy Denning. I don't know that they specifically influenced my writing in how I write, but they certainly did in what I wrote for a very long time. They were the ones who's characters and books got me to write fanfiction, specifically Zhan with Mara Jade. I got to take short writing classes from each of them at Star Wars Celebration, and just listening to them talk about their writing process was inspirational. I also got to hang out with Aaron Allston for a very little bit before he died, and he was so loving of fans and so enjoyed that we loved his characters.

Purple!! Mostly because it's my favorite color, but also because Mara Jade's light saber was purple (before Luke gave her his) and she will always be my favorite no matter if she's canon or not.

For design, hmmm... it would have to be kinda small because I have tiny hands. Traditional Jedi single blade. The design of Anakin/Luke/Mara's saber has always been my favorite, so probably something like that.

I'm gonna have to go with bagels. There is nothing like a NYC bagel, with cream cheese and lox. Mmm... it's the best. Story is, it's the water that makes NYC pizza and bagels so good, and the water is really good so I believe it!

I'm not actually a big pizza fan because I don't like tomatoes or tomato based things. I can eat pizza under the right circumstances which mostly involves dipping it in ranch, but you don't want to do that in a pizza joint in NYC. Nope, not a good idea. I do like white pizzas, but sometimes they are hard to find around here. Deli sandwiches are also great! An unknown for most people who don't live in NYC, the corner bodegas also tend to have good sandwiches!

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It was great learning more about Mira! But I'm also very excited for our next victim!

1) Favourite episode of the West Wing (it's okay, you can pick a couple :p )

2) What's your current go-to munchy snack

3) What's your favourite gif?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Favourite SW culture and why?

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @mavjade

* How did you discover the JCF?

* Of all your stories, what's the one you like the most/remember with greatest fondness?

* What do you like about Luke and Mara as a couple?

* Han/Leia -- what is your heart canon about their relationship post ROTJ?

* Favorite decadent snack?

* Most enjoyed vacation destination?

* Favorite things to do on a lazy afternoon?

* Favorite burger toppings?

* Pancakes or waffles, and do you like Nutella? [face_laugh]

* What would your job be in the GFFA?

* Favorite SW culture and why?

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Want to hear a stupid joke?

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You just break out with the really hard ones, don't you?! That's not fair and you totally know it's not fair.

Noel - Partially because Josh is my favorite character and I love me some whump. But also because how well the show portrayed PTSD, especially at that time. It's also on list of things we watch every year at Christmas. The hole story (youtube link for those who are curious) is something I think about often.

20 Hours in America: Part II - I don't know that there is an episode of TV where I can laugh so hard I'm crying and then be moved so much I'm crying. I use the quote "Can we have a civilization?!" all the time. Also, with Josh being my favorite character, I really like how they show -through Sam- that though he may sometimes (all the time) seem like a dope, there's a reason he's White House Deputy Chief of Staff and he's very smart and good at his job. Another also, a Josh/Toby road trip comedy is what everyone needs in their life.
    [​IMG]

The Supremes - One of the few season 5 episodes that is good. But not only is it season 5 good, it's a great episode, period. It's my 'I'm having a really frustrating/upsetting day' episode.

The Cold- It's just... FINALLY! I mean it's more that Josh and Donna finally kiss, but it's also such a joyous episode with the campaign doing so well. You're happy things are looking good for your heroes. It's just an episode that makes me very happy.

tl;dr - I love TWW. Sorry to all those who know nothing about The West Wing, I could talk about it all day.

Hmm... it just depends on my mood. I love Cheeze-Its, trail mix, pop-corn. But if I'm being really bad it's usually something gummy-like, Swedish Fish, gummy bears, Dots, etc. (I just ate a ton of Swedish Fish and now I feel bad about myself. )

This is also so hard!
    All time favorite has got to be this. It just has so many uses!
    [​IMG]

- - - -
    - - - -

Probably Chadra-Fan, if only because I love the idea of them and though she didn't get all that much book time, I loved Tekli in Legends.
    I'm also a pretty big fan of Twi'leks just because I've always liked their lekku and the idea of them.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha also asked this so I'm tagging her here so she doesn't think I wasn't answering her.
    I don't know that I have a particular favorite, but I do have an interest in the Lanai, specifically the females who are the caretakers on Ahch-To (aka the Judgmental Fish Nuns). To keep care of a place for so long has to have a rich history and they seem so interesting. I also find the Twi'lek culture interesting as well.

I'm going to have to give these two some more thought and come back! They are great questions, I just don't have answers at the moment.

I would have kept the Legends 'verse going as maybe an alternate universe. It would have made us old EU fans happy and it wouldn't have cost them anything. Comics have managed to keep multi-universes going for a long time. There were several series that they'd announced I was excited about (Jaina Solo trilogy) that got scrapped.

Maybe transporters a la Star Trek? I've always thought that was a cool tech that is quite useful.

In the US when we think pie, we usually think sweet, where pecan pie is probably my favorite. But I do love chicken pot pie, and savory hand pies, mostly chicken.

- - - -
    - - - -

I was looking for info on ROTS and at that time TF.N was basically the only place to get good info. They had the boards in a decent place on the front page and I stumbled my way in looking for fanfic. I lurked for quite some time before making an account. My first post was to ask if anyone in games had instructions to Star Wars Risk because we'd lost ours.

Hmm... probably a story I wrote called Voices. It was about Ben Skywalker and Luke and a story that was told throughout Ben's life as a comfort. It's a little bittersweet, but even now it gives me warm feelings.

I just love their love story, how Mara wanted to kill him, but he wormed his way into being her friend and then to loving each other. I love how she keeps Luke down to Earth (for lack of a better phrase) and he keeps her in the present, reminds her that she is capable of love and worthy of being loved. They bring out the best in each other and love each other for who they are, flaws and all.

To me, the Legends canon will always be my H/L heart canon. They got married, had a few Force strong babies that kept them on their toes, grew old together. I understand why the movies did what they did (I think), but yeah, that's just not their life in my heart.

Probably really nice cheeses. I love a strong stinky blue, a creamy brie, there's this one cheese we get for special occasions that have truffles in it. Basically, I've rarely met a cheese I didn't like (cottage cheese is the only one I can think of off the top of my head).

The Maldives - dp and I went there on our honeymoon and we didn't want to leave. It was so beautiful and warm, the food was terrific. But it's extremely expensive and hard to get to.
    I also really enjoyed Costa Rica and it's probably close to the top. We stayed half the time on a coffee plantation in the mountains and the other half on the coast at the beach. The food was amazing (are you seeing a theme here?), it was beautiful, I got to see sloths (!) and capybara in the wild and I've never been somewhere that people were so nice.

Take a nap! More specifically, read something awesome until I start to fall asleep and then take a nap. I particularly love to do this on vacation and do it on a beach (under something, not directly in the sun) with the warm breeze and the sound of the ocean.

My favorite burger has blue cheese, bacon, and caramelized onions. I particularly like it on the impossible burger, which sounds a little strange to have a plant based burger with bacon, but it's good and is less meat than otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I do like a regular burger, but I just really like the impossible burger.

Pancakes!! My favorite are chocolate chip pancakes, but I only let myself have them on my birthday. Otherwise I usually get banana and walnut pancakes. However, I do like waffles too. And YES! I love Nutella! I can eat it right out of the jar.

Hmmm.... Do I get to be a Jedi?! If I do, I'd probably be a healer. Otherwise probably still something medical. My eyesight is to terrible to be a pilot, or I'd say that.

Of course I do! I love stupid jokes! Dad jokes are my favorite! :D

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Best dressed in PT?

Best dressed in OT?

Best dressed in ST?

Best dressed in SW overall?

SW culture with the best fashion sense? And why?

Mara Jade's best outfit/s? And her worst?

19. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Why did you chose to go into the healthcare field?

What advice would you give to people who would be interested in working in this field?

20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'll post the stupid joke in the social thread.

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Is there an answer other than Padme? :p I mean, I want to be able to wear the vast majority of her outfits. Even once she's no longer Queen, she's still quite stylish. I do like the Jedi uniforms as well, though. Specifically Jocasta Nu's.

I'm going to have to go with Leia. I always thought she looked comfortable but stylish. However I do love Luke's look in ROTJ! Also, can we take a second for Krennic's cape. I love that cape!

Ugh, I feel bad for saying this but, I gotta go with the Sith Fleet command uniforms. They were quite sharp. But Leia also gets a mention here because she clearly remained very stylish her whole life!

I think it's got to go to Padme. The eclectic nature of her outfits puts her over the top in my eyes.

Naboo, because their Queen always dresses spectacularly and clearly everyone else does as well, though maybe not so over the top.

Best is this one. I like it because it's like her classic black bodysuit (which I love) but a little more laid back. The popped collar really works for me, too!
    [​IMG]

Worst: her wedding dress in Union. I don't think it was her at all. I didn't have a problem with Mara wearing a traditional Earth type dress, just not that one.

- - -
    - - -
    I always really enjoyed anything health and anatomy related when I was in middle school and high school. I also loved the show ER and later House which made me want to learn more. I was constantly looking up things they mentioned. When I was in high school I got to shadow some doctors all over the hospital and I thought it was the most exciting thing ever! Also, as cliche as it is, I wanted to help people, to be a part of their lives when they were at their most vulnerable.

I would say first and foremost, see if you can shadow someone in the field where you want to work to see if you like it. Learn what it's really like to work in that particular job. Remember when you are studying, you aren't doing so to pass a test, but to help someone who is in need of your help, maybe to even save their life. It's not always an easy job, but you will make a difference in people's lives, even if you don't see it. And most of all know that if you decide it's not right for you -no matter when you've decided that- if it's before you start, while you are in school or a few (or many) years into your career, it's okay.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    SW species/culture/planet with best fashion? Beside Naboo

A) Pic an non-human species B) pic a real world culture/sub-culture's (alive or dead) fashion that you think would fit that species

A) Pic an non-human species B) pic a real world culture/era's archetecture that you think would fit that species

What non-SW but Disney created/owned non-humans would you like to see in SW?

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW?

We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Here a few non-SW questions ;)

1) Favourite reoccurring (non-main) character on The West Wing?

2) Favourite "one episode" character on TWW?

3) do you have a fandom you love, wish you could write fanfic for, but the plot bunnies just won't come?

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have loved reading your answers so far, mav! Especially for TWW themed questions - it's been ages for me, but you're making me want to rewatch the series now. :p

So, let's see, for a couple of random get-to-know-you questions, how about . . .

* If you could master any skill, what would it be?

* What's a fun-fact or interesting feature about NYC that you would like to share with us?

* What are the top three absolutely-must-dos on your bucket list?

* What were the last five songs your music player of choice played on shuffle?

:D [:D]

25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @mavjade A second batch of questions based on your answers (I'm getting the hang of this interview thing;)):

1) Did you see the Giver movie? If so, how did you think it compared to the book?

2) Do you prefer Katniss with Peeta or Gale and why?

3) Did you hear that there was is going to be a Hunger Games prequel telling the story of President Snow? If so, what do you think of that idea?

4) Who is your favorite Harry Potter professor and why?

5) Which Hogwarts house would you want to be Sorted into and why?

Kahara likes this.