main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Podcasts! Any you recommend?

2. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    @amidalachick asked:
    First: Swivel chairs are the best chairs, yeah?
    There are good swivel chairs and not-so-good swivel chairs. My rule is that a prospective purchase gets a good shakedown to see if it's ready for the job ahead. Go into a store and ask the clerk if he wouldn't mind you knocking out a few righteous 720s in that Model 6400X w/ Lumbar Support—perhaps bag an extra 3-wheeled power slide down the aisle.

Second: You mentioned listening to music while writing and basing components of your fics around songs. Do you have any favorite music? And do you have any favorite music for writing specifically?
    I enjoy classical, rock, world, and electronic. I once hummed the major bits of Piano Concerto No.24 In C Minor throughout a trail race to keep me in a cadence.

When it comes to writing, I'll hope that a particular song will inspire me for such-n-such point or description. But when another song asserts itself and takes me in a new direction, then that's the real gold, isn't it?

I list songs and images in my story notes. It builds on the tone and helps keep the mood consistent by revisiting them—especially as my mood may change about the story in those early days. The Rough Cut drafts went through a complete POV reversal, switching from established Edwin (his younger, less Palpatine-influenced persona introduced in Talay) to the unknown Helena. —The important bit that remained was Helena and Edwin's tumultuous, very humanized (h/t @Gamiel: word choice) past coming up against their different political stations.— When this happened, the songs and images updated. Helena, who is inspired by Myrna Loy (ohhh Myrna), now includes images of Uma Thurman as Mia Wallace (post-overdose), as Helena shifted from the defiant rebel to the resistant captive. Likewise, as the story went from one of direct action to tragic interplay, the thematic song choices changed from electronica (various Crystal Method songs) to songs more dramatic or emotive (Debussy, Alanis Morissette, and a few others).

Thanks for the insightful questions, Amidalachick!

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A friendly reminder that we have one week left to ask @Oddly_Salacious all of our questions!

@Oddly_Salacious, how did you discover this site and what do you enjoy most about it?

4. Oddly_Salacious

Dec 5, 2005
    @Gamiel asks:
    Podcasts! Any you recommend?
    I don't subscribe podcasts, but journey around finding interviews and documentaries. I do watch Rich Roll's podcasts that discuss health and exercise because he is one of the first professional athletes I discovered when I started taking my runs seriously. I'll mutter "run slower to run faster", which may be a corruption of something Rich said about going longer distances.

TED Talks don't fit the idea of a podcast. Yet, I watch those often. In fact, (leans across his desks to a notebook and flips a few pages near the end) "Get as much baloney [bologna] out of your sandwich as you can." —Leonard Susskind speaking about his friend Richard Feynman. TED Talks were the inspiration for the setting in Conventions—that, and 'It's turtles all the way down'. Lots of gems all over the place with TED. And it's sometimes easier to listen than reading abstracts and stuff on phys.org.

My wife showed me Coach Greg Doucette's podcasts just this week. Once I got past the mental image of a super-jacked Gilbert Godfrey, I found his information to be reasonable, if not humorous. Entertainment with data! I like the strong dynamic that he and his wife have, and he seems to be accountable to being human.

@devilinthedetails asks:
    How did you discover this site and what do you enjoy most about it?
    I found the forum fresh off of ROTS through TheForce.Net. Because I've yet to eclipse the riveting story I wrote in the third grade (complete with a dragon and earning me an A), I hope that interacting with people (fellow fans) will sharpen my storytelling. In this modern writing period (era, epoch…), beta readers have truly made the difference. Beta Readers like @Findswoman, @divapilot, and @gaarastar58. Their reviews caught things because they can see the story at a distance that I don't have. They have also taught me to listen. Writing isn't simply writing, but communicating.

Many thanks for the questions!

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you to @Oddly_Salacious for an excellent and enjoyable interview!:)

Next up is the awesome and amazing @divapilot![face_dancing]

@divapilot:

1) What technique(s) do you use to show passing time in your writing (flashbacks, flash forwards, transitions, etc)?

2) What is your favorite Star Wars ship in terms of transport and why? What is your favorite Star Wars ship in terms of a romantic pairing and why?

3) What is your favorite season and why?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  6. Oddly_Salacious

Dec 5, 2005
    @divapilot:
    + What are some tropes that you avoid in your writings?
    + What is a motif that you want to include in your writing, but have not yet done so?

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @divapilot

How much plotting do you do for longer stories?

What is the easiest and the hardest for you to write as to genre, and why?

When you're stuck plot-wise, what do you do to get unstuck?

Favorite burger topping?

Favorite omelet filling?

Are there fanfiction projects you are hoping to get around to, either unfinished WIPs or plot bunnies that have been percolating?

Most liked versus disliked aspects of SW legends and why?

Growing up, what was your dream job?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @divapilot has requested that we move onto the next interview instead.

So, next up we will have the wonderful @ThisIsMe1138!:)

@ThisIsMe1138:

1. How did you choose your username?

2. What is your favorite Star Wars film and who are some of your favorite Star Wars characters?

3. What are your favorite Star Wars ships in terms of transport and in terms of romance and why?

4. What is your favorite season and why?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Favourite SW culture and why?

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ThisIsMe1138

What is the easiest and the hardest for you to write as to genre, and why?

Favorite burger topping?

Favorite omelet filling?

Most liked versus disliked aspects of SW legends and why?

Do you like rollercoasters?

What's your favorite style of music and musical instrument?

11. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    wow I....forgot that I was signed up for this and I'm lowkey taking a break from the forums but I guess I might as well do this because it'll be fun and I've apparently been on the list for a long time [face_laugh]

@devilinthedetails

1. I had just watched The Greatest Showman and it's the title of one of the songs that struck me very deeply when I first heard it. And then the 1138 is just the star wars inside joke ;)

2. my favorite star wars film to watch is A New Hope just because it's the original and I have a lot of good memories of it but objectively I think the best ones are Rogue One and The Phantom Menace. (RO because of the plot and the interesting characters and TPM because of the glimpse of the "peaceful" galaxy and how it normally functions and the dynamic of the jedi order and I find that extremely interesting)

3. transport: the jedi starship things that Anakin and Obi-Wan have in ROTS/AOTC, just because they're small and cute and have cool colors lol. I also really like X-wings. Romance: I don't ship any Star Wars characters like extremely hard but if I had to choose some ships, definitely Han/Leia, Obitine, and probably my strongest ship, Jyn and Cassian. And also those two girls who kissed at the end of TROS [face_love]

4. Fall and Winter because I can wear all of my thousands of sweaters and sweatshirts without feeling like I'm going to melt and also because school starts in the fall, and everything is just pretty and looks and smells nice and it's the perfect temperatures and everything. And then winter has holidays and snow and...more sweaters [face_mischief] (I'm really obsessed with sweaters)

@Gamiel

1. I think Togruta because I love Ahsoka and they also just look really cool to me, plus they're very fun to draw

2. ooohhh that's hard but I think Naboo because (I haven't done a ton of research on this so I could be wrong but) it seems like they have a culture that's peaceful but also very aware, and they value youth and art, and it seems very...rich and respectful and beautiful.

3. do you mean....like a culture from another fictional movie/book or something? Because in that case I have no idea lol

4. of course my mind instantly blanks on the cultures explored so far in Star Wars [face_plain] I think it would be hilarious to have a planet that's basically like this current American culture/level of civilization but I don't think that would be very practical except for like comedy factor ;) Seriously though, if we're discussing real cultures, I think an Asian culture would be extremely interesting to see in a star wars planet, I don't know how exactly but it could be really cool. (I don't really want to explain too much because I don't know very much about Asian cultures and I don't want to say anything wrong by accident lol)

5. Hmmmm I think I would add more diversity - whether it be in the genre of story, the sexuality and races of the characters, cultures explored, villain types, etc.

6. I.... (am sorry that I don't know any of this lol) assume SF means science fiction? Which in that case, I don't know really, I mostly read/watch things for the characters and the plot and I don't pay too much attention to the technology so I have no idea, sorry.

7. Hmmm I haven't had very many kinds but I had some kind of chicken pot pie once and it was literally amazing so if that counts then definitely that

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

1. If we're talking about fanfiction genres, the easiest for me is definitely hurt/comfort because that's my favorite to read so I kind of just...write the story I'd look for and it comes rather naturally. As for the hardest I...don't know because I haven't really explored a lot of other genres but comedy would probably be the hardest unless I was in a very, very specific mindset :p

2. ummmm lettuce because I don't really like burgers if there's no lettuce on it, the lettuce just balances it all out and makes it crispy and....idk feel healthier plus it tastes very good

3. I...don't actually like omelettes and I don't really know what you'd put on them umm [face_blush]

4. Most liked: the way the character dynamics and relationships continued to develop and the Skywalker and Solo kids
    Least liked: how chaotic and hard it is to follow unless you read every single book like there's just so much information and different random stories and people keep dying and coming back and it...confuses me quite a lot

5. I love rollercoasters, and I just went on one a few days ago :D although I do prefer different rides lol; roller coasters are great but they're not the best ride in the world

6. typically I'd just say something basic like pop but recently (aka since July 3rd when Hamilton came onto disney plus) I've....listened to musical songs pretty much exclusively and after Hamilton no basic pop songs sound half as good anymore [face_laugh] (and Dear Evan Hansen songs are also great) as for instrument.... hmmmm probably violins, they sound so pretty especially when a lot of them are played together and can evoke so many different emotions

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What now Legend non-jedi, non-sith Force tradition would you like to see in the new EU and why?

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about?

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in ST and the NEU would you like to know more about?

Which background characters in ST deserve to get their story told?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Edit: ops, somehow I missed that I had posted. Sorry for the dp

SW species/culture/planet with best fashion?

A) Pic an non-human species B) pic a real world culture/sub-culture's (alive or dead) fashion that you think would fit that species

Who is best dressed in PT?

Who is best dressed in OT?

Who is best dressed in ST?

Who is best dressed in EU?

Who is best dressed in TV-series?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  14. Oddly_Salacious

Dec 5, 2005
    @ThisIsMe1138: who are the 10 people (past, present, fictional, &c.) you would invite to your next dinner party?

15. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    @Gamiel

1. and 2. I'm sorry, your questions are amazing but I really don't remember very much of what I read about the EU, I read them a long time ago and I was very confused the whole time I was reading it
    3. Hmm perhaps Maz Kanata's species? Because Maz is one of my favorite characters and I'd be interested to see what kind of culture she comes from and her species in general.
    4. THE GIRLS WHO KISSED AT THE END OF TROS [face_love][face_love] (okay i'll stop ranting about them lol uhhh maybe Maz, and also I'd like to hear the backstories of the kids at Canto Bight from TLJ)

@Gamiel (again [face_mischief])

1. The Jedi (if that counts) I really, really love the Jedi outfits like I legitimately wish I could just wear that without it being socially unacceptable lol. If I had to choose a planet though I think it would have to be Alderaan or Naboo.
    2. a) togruta b) Arabic I guess? (I'm thinking like, the style of clothes in the 2019 Aladdin)
    3. Definitely Obi-Wan, no question. But then also Padme because [face_love][face_love][face_love]
    4. Leia, particularly her ROTJ Endor cape outfit and her snow suit thing in ESB
    5. hmmm I guess Poe? I don't know I don't find any of them to be particularly amazing uhhhhh maybe Kylo? I'm not sure sorry
    6. I...have no idea because I don't really know what they look like?
    7. Sabine - absolutely legendary 10/10 I wish I looked like her and had that armor

@Oddly_Salacious that's such an amazing question this is going to be hard [face_laugh]

- Lafayette (historical)
    - Lin Manuel Miranda (the most talented man currently alive)
    - Qui-Gon Jinn (star wars)
    - Daisy Ridley (present)
    - Micarah Tewers (present)
    - Jasmine Cephas Jones (present)
    - Peter Parker (fictional)
    - Jemma Simmons (fictional)
    - Alexander Hamilton (fictional/historical it's complicated)
    - uhhh Jesus maybe that would make it fun

(I'm not including people I personally know because there would be too many and I don't want to leave anyone out considering that some of them are on this website lol)

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A) Pic an non-human species B) pic a real world culture/sub-culture's (alive or dead) fashion that you think would fit that species

A) Pic an non-human species B) pic a real world culture/era's archetecture that you think would fit that species

What non-SW but Disney created/owned non-humans would you like to see in SW?

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW?

We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why?

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ThisIsMe1138

If you could live on any world SW-wise, what would it be and why?

What is the coolest bit of SW tech?

Favorite droid?

----

Favorite cake, pie, cookies?

Favorite color?

18. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    @Gamiel

1. I'm...confused is that not what you asked in your previous list of questions?
    2. I mean that's somewhat hard because I feel like through TCW and other things we've seen a lot of the architecture for each well-known species but i'll try uhhhmmm a) pantoran b) hmmmmmm maybe some kind of like ancient Greek architecture? like a more modern, futuristic take on the grace and elegance of greek architecture. ....now I really want to see that in Star Wars [face_laugh]
    3. I....don't know if these are owned by Disney because they're Agents of Shield which is...in association with Marvel but I'm not sure if it's actually owned by Marvel? But anyways it's these dudes (I think they're called Kree?? But I think they're different from the ones in Captain Marvel? Maybe? I'm confused but it's these ones)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4. I...feel literally so uncultured but I don't really know any non-humans in the public domain?
    5. Hmmm this is a good question lol. It would be extremely entertaining to see something comical like...idk a platypus or something but seriously hmmm maybe lions? Because I think that would look really cool and it could also make for a very interesting culture/society if it was based off of the actual lives/habits of lions. (I know that's kind of cats but very specifically lions would be really cool). Also I don't know how they would do it but birds would be really cool as like a...humanized, non-human species.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

1. Naboo because I like their culture and what I know about their government and education systems and being but a young one I like the way they treat/think of children and teenagers. And also Alderaan because of its climates and art.
    2. I think speeders, and particularly speeder bikes; when I was like 13 I got genuinely sad that I would never have one [face_laugh] It would just be so cool, it's like a motorcycle but it can go in the air?? and it's open so you could feel the wind if you were going fast, idk it just seems really cool to me and the speeder bike scene in ROTJ makes me...legitimately jealous [face_blush]
    3. My personal favorite is probably R2-D2 just because he's been there all along and he's not annoying like 3P0 lol and I'm just most emotionally attached to him but K2-S0 is definitely the most entertaining and the most fun to watch.
    4. Do you mean...favorite of the three or my favorite of each? because my favorite of the three is pie but my favorite of each kind is ice cream cake, egg custard pie when it's really cold, and chocolate chip cookies [face_mischief]
    5. ummmm basically any kind of light pink or red (and also most pastel colors I literally love pastel colors) like...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

devilinthedetails and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :oops:

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Just a friendly reminder that there is one more week left to ask @ThisIsMe1138 all our questions!

@ThisIsMe1138 If you could travel to any country, which would it be and why?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ThisIsMe1138

What is your dream job: i.e., one that you think would be exciting/interesting?

Do you like the beach or mountains more for either scenery and/or vacation?

Favorite flavor of chips?

22. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    @devilinthedetails

1. hmmmmmm maybe Australia so that I could meet Khalia (a user on here who lives there) but aside from meeting specific people, maybe Ireland because I love the accents and it's very pretty, India or Japan because it's a culture that's very unknown but very fascinating and beautiful to me, or Sweden because I'm extremely interested in their government and education systems.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

1. Hmmmm I want to be either a child/adolescent therapist or a teacher because I want to be a mentor to kids who don't necessarily have positive adult/parental figures in their lives and give them safe spaces to be themselves and heal and so that I could teach them and hopefully influence their lives for the better in the time that I know them, so I'm not entirely sure which one I'd like to do but that's my ideal role in general :p

2. I like the mountains better in terms of climates and scenery, etc. but in practice I like the beach better because I've gone to one particular beach...since I was born, as did my dad and my grandmother so it's kind of like a family thing, and sometimes my entire family (like aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) all go together or sometimes it's just my parents and siblings and sometimes we can bring our friends and a large percentage of my best memories of my life come from that so it's very special to me ;)

3. Hmmm probably doritos although idk which flavor of them [face_thinking]

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you, @ThisIsMe1138 for a fun and insightful interview!:)

Next up is another is another excellent interview host, @Jedi Knight Fett!:cool:

@Jedi Knight Fett:

1. What is your favorite scene from each Star Wars movie, and why?

2. What is your current favorite song?

4. Do you prefer sweet or salty snacks?

ThisIsMe1138 and Gamiel like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Episode 1: Darth maul entrance because it’s so cool

Episode 2: Kiss on the kart before the arena battle, because it’s just amazing especially the music

Episode 3: you were my brother. Most emotional of the series

Solo: Darth Maul for the surprise

RO: Vader scene since it’s epic

4: Obi Wan sacrifice as it shows how wise he was

5.) I am your father do I really need to say more

6.) Vader last talk with Luke as it really made him feel human

7.) Han’s death one of the saddest in Cinema

8.) Leia space walk since I love Carrie

9.) Palpatine’s introduction since he was so creepy

Never gonna give you up I do love a good rick roll

Salty especially on chips. Nothing better.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Jedi Knight Fett

What do you enjoy doing on the weekend?

Do you enjoy ghost stories?

Oddly_Salacious likes this.