main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Answering my final question:
    Yes and No. It's terrible in that it's not very accessible, there are many stations that can only be accessed by stairs. Some of the lines run terribly, are often late or delayed. It can also be pretty confusing to those not used to it. It's old (as in the tech and trains haven't been upgraded in a long time, and also one of the oldest systems in the world) and it shows. But it runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and it's the largest rapid transit system in the world, and is the busiest in the western world. So any time they have to do work, it's a huge inconvenience to a lot of people. It's severely underfunded for what a system of it's size should be.

And now for my questions for @Briannakin

- How are you doing with all of the social distancing?

- Favorite West Wing episode? (And since you let me have more than one, you can too! )

- Favorite current TV show (So currently on air, or very recently released)?

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm actually doing pretty okay. Then again, this all has really only just started, so maybe ask again in a few weeks and my answer will probably be different. Though I've been trying to isolate myself since last Friday, things have come up that I've had to go out for (though I tried to practice keeping a fair distance away, proper hygiene, and none of it was in crowds - twice was actually to see one person at their homes), but now it has really started. But I've been kinda 'trained' for this.

I grew up in a small, northern town with not many accessible activities in the summer or winter. I recently did distance learning for my MA and I did probably go weeks where all I would do is go to the grocery store and see my mother once a week, though this will likely be more extreme. But I did spend one summer in high school (which were all pretty isolated anyways since all my friends went to camp) with my grandfather and uncle and a few of their workers as they were doing some construction IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I was hired to make their lunches and cook their dinner, but because of their work (and fishing) schedule, and the fact that I was a 17-year-old who liked to sleep and stay up all night, I barely saw them. And I did this for like 4 weeks in a cabin in the woods without wi-fi or a cellphone (I think I had an iPod, laptop with the Sims and audiobooks, and a nintendo DS).

So, yeah, anyways, I think I'm prepared. I've got provisions, a variety of activities to do, and some stuff I should actually accomplish. If anyone wants some tips or other advice on how to stay sane working from home or being in social isolation/distancing in general, please do ask me!

Oh man, why did I ask you this? Such a hard question! Honestly it probably changes on the day, my mood, and what I want.
    If I want something serious with intense emotions, I'd probably say my favourite was Noël or Two Cathedrals. And, if I had to pick one episode above all others, it (probably) would be Noël. I can watch that one and catch something new every time, yet with every watch, I still feel such strong emotions. Shadow of Two Gunman (I and II) also fit into that intense emotion category, plus that one is major hurt/comfort (but really, all hurt unless you also add in The Mid-Terms) and I love that genre.

I also really love the more comedic episodes like 24 Hours in America I and II (though the ending hits in the feels, and yeah, I probably love it for the same reasons you listed), and Take this Sabbath Day (really, anything with Joey Lucas). Sam's storyline in 24 Hours when he has to do Josh's job while sleep-deprived just cracks me up and yet, it is so relatable.

Then there are those feel good episodes, particularly of the campaign that just make me happy and not think too much (Plus, you know, looking at Jimmy Smitts and Brad Whitford for 45 minutes never upset anyone). A Good Day is one of my favourites from that category. I also just shamelessly love the final few episodes particularly Tomorrow. I'm just a sucker for a good ending with everything wrapped up and they really did that so well.

Also, I'm sorry to all the people who have no idea what I am talking about. I could write so much on my love for The West Wing and I'm just in a blabby mood.

Hmmm. This is a hard one because I'm a notorious binger of TV shows that have been over for years (or decades). Season 3 just finished last week(?) but I love the Great Pottery Throwdown. I'm not huge on current reality TV but that one is just so well done. It's a British show and actually all the episodes are on Youtube if anyone needs something new. It's a pottery reality TV so it's creative but theres also a element of risk and all the contestants care about each other (usually). There's no cut-throats or sob stories. It's one of those great balances between entertaining enough to sit down and watch, but you don't need to really pay attention so you can do other things while having it on in the background.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    favourite parings in SW?

favourite non-canon parings in SW?

favourite parings in West Wing?

favourite parings in non-SW/WW fandoms?

favourite crack parings? In any fandoms.

any parings (canon or fanon) that have great chemistry but should not get together? In any fandom

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If you discovered a new planet, what would you name it?

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Luke/Mara will always be my original OTP! But I also love some of the lesser seen parings that, you know from the characters that they were a great relationship, even if we didn't see much of the relationship: Winter/Tycho, Tendra/Lando, Kam/Tionne, and my number 1: Bail/Breha
    Poe/Finn. I will go down with this ship! I just love how much they clearly adore each other, but their squabbling in Rise of Skywalker was one of the few things I loved about the movie!
    Ummm. Hmmm. Lando/Mara is my crack paring for SW. I just think those two would bicker endlessly but still love each other.
    I can't really think of any other 'crackships'. Donna/Sam from the West Wing maybe? I'm not sure if it counts as crack but it's non-canon and the two don't interact much so they often aren't shipped together often since one or the other is usually with Josh, but I ship it if I'm shipping Josh/Joey.
    Hmmmm. Another hard one. I never much appreciated Obi-Wan/anyone. He had decent chemistry with Sabé (fanon), Siri, and Satine but I never really thought he should have been romantically involved.

AAAAAHHHH, the pressure! I really shouldn't be in charge of naming anything! I suck at naming anything besides cats! Ummm... Proserpina??? She's the Roman equivalent of Persephone and Persephone needs more love. And Persephone was a planet in the Firefly 'verse and I'm just a nerd like that.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Favourite SW culture and why?

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can you provide tips how to remain sane during this pandemic?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, awesome questions and answers all, so far!!! It's great to get to know you a little bit more, Bri!

So, to start with a few questions of my own:

* What's your favourite gif?? (I had to turn that one back around, because you always seem to have an awesome gif for everything! ;))

* If you could master any one skill, what would it be?

* What are the top three things on your bucket list?

* What are the last five songs your music player of choice played on random?

:D [:D]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    * When writing fanfictions, what do you do when you're stuck--and what tends to be the thing that gets you stuck--the beginning, middle, or end?

* Of Legends content, what or who are you glad is gone now and what do you wish was re-brought into SW even if changed a bit as to back-story?

* Favorite era in SW that you hope gets expanded either in a TV series, a movie, or books?

* Are you good at board and/or card games, i.e., remembering the rules?

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lots of questions! I do love it! I wanna give everyone answers they deserve, but I also want to focus on the topical question regarding self-isolation since I kinda do have experience with working from home/ being distant (see above answer to mav) that I think could be a help during this time. But I also want to save my spoons (and if you are unfamiliar with spoon theory, please ask me about it!) for some of my own writing later tonight.

Would have to be a tie between Mon Calamari and Togruta. Mon Cals are basically alien mermaids and I love mermaid lore and underwater creatures in general. The Togruta we know well have this dichotomy between being peaceful but also being very badass and I think it works so well.
    Alderaani. It is peaceful and believes in democracy... but they aren't afraid to start rebellions when needed.
    I don't like it when other fiction works show up in SW. I just don't think it's needed. SW is already so vast and creative.
    I'd like to see some sort of sentient non-human culture on Hoth based on Nepali or Tibetan culture. Many of their cultural practices are derived out of the fact that limited things grow in their harsher climates (like their funerary practices) and I'd like to see something like that in SW.

THE KISS AT THE END OF RISE OF SKYWALKER. JUST, UGGGHGGHHG! I could rant about this forever but the fact that they went for relationship ending for Rey and Kylo (even though Kylo then died) just reeks of normalizing abusive relationships as well as other problematic things. There's other, bigger things I'd change but that one is just stuck to me. It could have been left out and nothing would have changed.
    I'm not 100% sure if it hasn't completely not appeared but technology to terraform planets.

Like in the US, here in Canada, pies are more sweet desserts (with the exception of chicken pot pie and quiche which is more of a egg dish IMO) and I'm also a vegetarian, so I'm going with blueberry pie.

Absolutely! If you are in social isolation/distancing, routine and variation are key. Hear me out:

If you are working from home, have a dedicated space to work (desk, end of dining room table, etc) and keep relatively normal hours and schedule (take your weekends on your weekends). If you are not working, try to spend some time per day still being productive (laundry, housework, etc. I'm doing a deep clean of my place and today was dedicated to the cats' litter closet in the spare room since I had to change out their Pretty Litter anyways).

As for how to spend the rest of your time: make sure it varies. If you can make it outside and still be secluded, get outside for walks and exercise while keeping distance guidelines. Or even just sit outside on your porch/patio/balcony. Have a variety of activities you can do both online/looking at a screen (writing, video games, movies, TV shows), and not looking at a screen (puzzles, boardgames, books, LEGO! but you can also do these things while watching or listening to something). Find a new TV show or book to read, BUT also dive into an old classic! Comforting things like watching your favourite TV show or reading your favourite book are important too in times like these.

Start up new projects! My friends and I are going to probably start a book club over Zoom! (a FaceTime like app)

And, everything in moderation... including moderation. Mix it up as often as you can, but if you wanna spend all Saturday in bed, watching Star Wars, then you do that! Just make sure to bookend it with two more productive days.

And if you're not in social isolation/distancing, please do it if your not an essential service. It's not about you, it's about slowing the spread of the pandemic as to not overwhelm health care.

Also, above all else: wash your hands! Stay informed but don't give into the media frenzy.

Oh god, I have so many. But this captures my feelings towards humans most of the time:
    [​IMG]

Hmmm. Playing the piano I think. I played through Elementary and played pitched percussion in high school so I was decent but I've stopped playing long ago, but it would be awesome to be a master at an instrument.
    1. Go to Fiji
    2. Skydive or bungee jump
    3. Travel Europe (particularly Scandinavia) for a few months
    I just put my Spotify liked songs on random and here's what I got:
    1. Midnight - Tyler Glenn
    2. Gold - Jamie Scott, Christina Perri
    3. 9 Crimes - Damien Rice
    4. The Adams Administration - Hamiton (because of course!!!)
    5. Hallelujah - Cinematic Pop and McKenna Breinholt

I swear I also listen to happy songs... sometimes.

I've recently discovered changing the POV can really help. And usually it's the middle; getting from A to C,
    Honestly, I'm glad Jacen is gone (I never liked that punk) and all of LOTF. But I'd like to see Mara back, even if they changed her story a bit. AND WINTER. Bring back Winter as a Rebel Spy!!!
    Hmmm. I really don't know. I'd love to see a TV show or movie on Meetra Surik (Jedi Exile from KOTOR 2).
    Yeah, I'm pretty decent at remembering rules and I'm a fairly good crib player.

11. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Do your cats wear hats? If so, what hats do your cats wear and would advise all cats should?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  12. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    @Briannakin: who are the 10 people (past, present, fictional, &c.) you would invite to your next dinner party?

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, neither appreciated it, but my sister decided they should be Anne Oakley for Halloween one year. Aggie at least tolerated it long enough for photos.

Well, I wouldn't invite anyone over as I am practicing social distancing and everyone else should be too :p. But if I could have a Zoom/FaceTime meeting with anyone... I think I'd want everyone else to have a great conversation and be like already a group that knows each other so I could just listen. I could go all philosophical and great minds, but can I give the less 'deep' answer and go with the former cast/crew of The West Wing? Most seem like they all still get along and they would have such great stories both of TWW and other projects they have done: Aaron Sorkin, Brad Whitford, Martin Sheen, Richard Schif, Dule Hill, Joshua Malina, Marlee Matlin (and Jack Jason), Janel Moloney, and Jimmy Smitts.

Or can I just go barfingly sentimental and list close family members, both living and diseased?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Briannakin

Favorite places you've been on vacation?

What subjects did you like the most and the least in school?

Favorite and least favorite SW movie and novel?

Do you read novelizations of movies?

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    If you could do any job, with no worry about skill, education, accessibility, etc. what would you do?

Favorite one episode West Wing Character?

Favorite minor West Wing Character?
    (And yes, I'm stealing your questions because I want to know your answers!)

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Cuba was so much fun. Sometimes you just gotta go somewhere warm and do all the touristy and relaxing stuff. It want really a vacation (well... neither was Cuba, kinda), but Leicester (England) was such a fun city to explore! It had such history and wasn't really touristy; I loved it.
    I HATED English. I mean, it was stupidly easy, but most of my English teachers were awful (and there was that one year where my class didn't have a teacher) so it was just so boring.

But I loved Social Studies (History). My teacher was fantastic and I'm just a history nerd!

Fave movie: Empire Strikes back (so many nostalgic memories)
    Book: Visions of the Future (LUKE FINALLY GETS MARA). Outcast gets a shout-out for all the Luke and Ben banter!

Least fave Movie: I think it would have to be TLJ. I just didn't like Luke's characterization, but his death was well done.
    Book: Children of the Jedi. Not only was it bad, but it was so poorly written. Like I had moments of "is my reading comprehension this bad?" but no, it was the prose.
    I've read some. Nothing can beat the ROTS novelization.

Oh, man this is hard! President of the United States??? Because y'all could use someone with a bit more sense down there. Unfortunately I am too Canadian and probably too queer.

But I think maybe astronaut? Because I'm an adrenaline junky and a huge nerd. I always say Physics was my road not traveled (along with Law).

Oh man. Another hard one. My gut answer is Lionel Tribby. As much as I loved Oliver Babbish, who doesn't love John Larroquette? Plus:

[​IMG]

But also shout out to Bernard who appeared in two episodes!

Uhhh. Define minor character?? I mean, I love Joey Lucas, but is she a minor character or a reoccurring character?

But also Ms. Fiderer! I mean, who doesn't love Lily Tomlin? But all she had so much sass yet was so proficient! She was professional but still weird. I mean, I loved Mrs. Landingham and she and Ms. Fiderer had similar personalities, but Ms. Fiderer had that element of weirdness that I LOVE. I mean, I think she gave President Bartlet the sass he needed after Mrs. Landingham died, but she jumped right in and was able to do it without knowing the guy his entire life.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What now Legend non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition would you like to see in the new EU and why?

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about?

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in ST and the NEU would you like to know more about?

Which background character/s in ST deserve to get its/their story told?

18. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Briannakin Thanks for all your answers! Two more questions:

What is your favorite Canadian city (or cities) and why?

What tips or advice would you give to someone who wanted to take up quilting?

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Warning, my answers for all these are probably going to be lame and not up to your "standards". I really don't keep up with the New EU at all (I've seen the Mandalorian and I'm trying to catch up with the Clone Wars and Rebels) so I really don't keep track of what has/has not appeared in NEU.
    I honestly can't think of one that NEVER got ANY description.
    Again, not a big NEU consumer. Baby Yoda as a species maybe??? So little know is about the species which was a choice in legends but I think it would be cool if NEU made a different choice.
    Uhhhh. Theres probably someone I'm forgetting someone but Commander D'Arcy?? She's kinda been fleshed out but I would like more.

Uuuuhhh. Man. I've traveled a bit in Canada but mostly to smaller places (.... not that there are many large cities In Canada anyways). Vancouver is always an amazing time - I was born just outside of Vancouver, but grew up in the North, but I still have family there and many of my friends from high school ended up there. It's a beautiful city with so much to do like walking along the seawall,, and the aquarium, and the shopping is top notch!
    Go to a proper quilting store and get nice fabric for quilting (it will always be cotton but cotton's quality can differ so much). A proper quitting store will have middle to higher end stuff for the same price (as opposed to those mass fabric stores that sell every type of fabric). Or, if you are following social isolation policies or just prefer to buy online, Missouri Star Quilt Co carries all the brand names most quilters - no matter what your is level is - use (and they have all the other supplies). Plus they have pre-cut fabric which really helpful for newcomers (or lazy people like me)! And their tutorials on YouTube will tell you everything you need to know (Youtube in general is a wealth of information if you wanna take up quilting), and their patterns (either in print or on video) are so easy to follow. A great way to start is just pick a video with a block pattern you like and they will tell you everything you need to know about doing what is called the quilt top, then you will have a few different options to finish it (IE sending it to a "long-armer" or quilting it yourself - I do both depending on the size of quilt).

Gamiel and devilinthedetails like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Non of the old have appeared beside the Nightsisters, but we have had some new ones.

You would be surprised how many species that are just an background character in a picture or a short description in a story.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any podcasts you want to recommend?

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I certainly need some new podcast recs, so I second that question!

@Briannakin
    Speaking of podcasts, I'm going to turn more back on you, because I'm not creative like that - Favorite episode(s) of The West Wing Weekly?

Fandom(s) you read but don't write in? Why do you think you've not written for them?

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't listen to many, and the few I do listen to tend to be fandom specific, but I know of one you might really enjoy. Spirits podcast is about mythology, legends and lore, where the hosts (while drinking spirits) delve into a mythology or character in mythology (or other related genre). I've kinda just skipped around to episodes that I've interested in, but it's always fascinating.

Potterless is always on I recommend to anyone who remotely likes Harry Potter. It's hysterical. It's a 20-something guy reading the Harry Potter books for the first time (with guest hosts who have read the books before). He starts out really cynical and just rags on the first few books (and the first few books he does like chunks of the books at one time) and the sound quality isn't great for those first few books, but then around Prisoner he gets REALLY INVESTED in it (in both time and production quality) and it's just so heartwarming to hear him fall in love with the books - but he's still hilarious. He's done all the books and movies and is now doing all the spin-off material, which I'm less interested in, but the first 100 episodes are just SO binge-worthy (if you got nothing else to do, I recommend giving it a listen). Harry Potter and the Sacred Text is another HP podcast I recommend.

Then, of course, the podcast which Mav got me into (which got me into podcasts in general), The West Wing Weekly. I recommend it for fans of the show, or anyone wanting to get into the show but aren't well versed in American government/politics.

Oh man. First off, I have to note that I'm not finished the podcast. I took a break when they started season five, because it was season 5 (which wasn't as bad as I remember it) and because just so much RL stuff was going on, and it's just not one of those podcasts you can just put on and listen to a bunch of episodes because I like actually watching the episode before listening to the podcast episode. So, anyways, I only just recently picked it back up in January and I'm currently on The Wedding which is half-way through season 7... and I love the season, but I think the White House/Bartlet heavy episodes are soooo boring so I haven't listened to it in a few weeks - plus I know once I get like 2-3 episodes past this one, then you get all the amazing final election and transition episodes which I love and I won't be able to stop till I'm done, then it will be over (and I'll probably listen to it again!). SO ANYWAYS, I haven't gotten to some really good episodes... or the Jimmy Smitt interview yet.

ANYWAYS. TO ANSWER YOUR ACTUAL QUESTION: Uhhh.... Really, any of the episodes with Brad Whitford are instant favourites because those are just so funny (you can tell he and Josh Malina are such great friends and I loved it during the season 5 opening episode I believe, Brad just gave Hrishi absolute crap for not watching past season 4). The Marlee Matlin episodes are such treats too, and Dulè Hill.

Recently I listened to the episode with Alan Alda and it was just fantastic!! I'm a huge Alda fan anyway and he talked a bit about his time on MASH. The episode on Dead Irish Writers was a favourite because THEY GOT PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU!!! Thus proving just how much better Canada's leader is than the US counterpart (as if the current situation wasn't enough to point that out). And the interview with Pete Buttigieg!!! Also the special with Lin-Manuel Miranda was just a nerd-fest and I adored it!!

The Martian is a big one for me. There's so much potential to continue the story afterwards or AUs, and I particularly love fics that continue the story immediately because there's so much potential for hurt/comfort both physically and mentally. I don't think I've written for it because what fanfic has already been written has just been so fantastic and takes all my ideas anyway. Plus most my ideas for stories in that 'verse are LONG EPICS, which my muse just can't/doesn't do. But I have an idea for a short story and I just realized it kinda fits one of my mini-challenges so never say never??

Harry Potter is another fanfic-hole I like to get lost in, but as much as I love a couple AU couples/concepts, the muse just hasn't bit hard enough.

Also, Hamilton. But I don't know enough about American History to be comfortable adapting it into fiction. Plus, I'm fine reading characters who were real people but I get weird about writing them. I've tried in drabbles and that's about as far as I can go.

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Briannakin

What's your favorite season and why?

Do you like to play April Fools Day pranks? If so, what are some of the best pranks you have played?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Autumn. I love all the leafs changing, "sweater weather" and cuddling up as it gets colder outside.

Not really. I've been a part of a few Board pranks (like when Mav and I decided to turn all of fanfic into West Wing fanfic - that was fun) and those are always amusing, but I'm not much of a prankster in real life.