main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, it would help a lot! :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Findswoman likes this.
  2. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    All righty! I have now updated the main challenge post with a list of all the participants (I'd been keeping one anyway in a Word document), and I have added Lazy K and Sith-I-5 to the list too.

Lazy K, thank you for the link to your story. I've added it to the Fanon Roulette challenge list. (Just a quick note for everyone: It's fine to post a challenge response story here after the challenge deadline—I'll still add it to the index for that challenge. It's just that you miss out on the voting and the chance at winning, etc. :p )

Sith-I-5, if you take a look at list one in the challenge post, you'll see what the Hoatzeri are: an original species. :)

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I found out from the mods that we're on for colors for this next challenge! I'll put that in the challenge post as well. Thank you, mavjade and Briannakin!

Kahara, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Good-looking species, the Hoatzeri.

I was torn between two story ideas last night, but just now, I have made a decision. Dun dun dun.

Kahara, Gamiel and Raissa Baiard like this.
  4. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think I'm going to be a contestant for this round. I've got two in-progress fics on my plate right now. However, I have been reminded that I still need to provide that sketch for the Guaymaran species (and maybe the Antirr Dragon) in case Lazy K intends to use that species in his story (because when I describe original elements I haven't drawn yet or have only drawn back in the day when I had a lot more time for drawing, I tend to add some details that weren't described at all).

Kahara likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Raissa Baiard

What would the height be for a young female Hoatzeri, say 13 standard years? Would she be within your two metre minimum?

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    After doing a little more research on the lifespan of ostriches, I'd say yes, that at 13 years, she'd be almost fully grown. Ostriches (according to Wikipedia) reach maturity at 2-4 years and live 40-45. I'm going to assume that sentience and its benefits would lengthen both their lifespan and childhood, but that they would mature somewhat faster than humans.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So to make her the equivalent of a 13-year old human, I need to make her a bit younger. 2-4 years feels a bit short, and you are right, to fit in the sort of education a teen gets, a Haotzeri childhood would need to be longer.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    This post will probably turn into a collection of weird Force traditions and techniques that my muse keeps tossing my way.

The Wheel

Each citizen of the planet Wadatz is conditioned at a very early age to use the Force subconsciously in one specific capacity: to turn the Wheel of their city, a metal cylinder ten meters in diameter and thirty meters long. The Wheel provides power for the entire city in two ways: directly through a complex system of gears and pulleys, and indirectly by turning the turbines for power generators. Because of this, Wadatz has never experienced the pollution and depletion of fuel resources that normally beset a society upon industrialization.

The original Wheel was created by Mau Rinn, the last of the Force adepts. According to legend, the Force adepts were a group of Force users who used their powers for the good of Wadatz. However, after a war with the Dark Ones (either Force adepts who fell to the Dark Side or malevolent supernatural entities depending on the legend), Mau came to the conclusion that access to the Force was not something that could be trusted to any individual. He constructed the first Wheel and devoted the rest of his life to its spin.

Although Wadatz was part of the Old Republic, social taboos prevented testing for midi-chlorian levels and no visiting Jedi has detected anyone who was unusually strong in the Force. It is thought that only a fraction of the population can actually use the Force to turn the Wheel, and that those with the potential to become Jedi are extremely rare.

The Cradle of Light

The Cradle of Light is a very large group of Force sensitives connected by a weak telepathic bond. The bond enables them to know what emotions the others are feeling at all times, although it is impossible to know who is feeling what at any given moment. When someone feels a "Dark Side emotion" (anger, despair, etc.) the others send encouraging waves of warmth and contentment through the bond until the emotion dissipates. Originally the Cradle was formed to protect younglings from the lure of the Dark Side of the Force.

Members of the Cradle, especially those who have been in the bond for a long time, often have difficulty trusting those who are not connected. Despite this, they are quite passionate in their recruitment of Force sensitives, sometimes spending years in the community of a potential member. Occasionally charges of brainwashing have been brought against the Cradle. Although no evidence has been found to support this accusation, its near perfect success rate in recruiting continues to raise doubts.

Queggarhen

In the Maggarhal Empire, there is a slave caste of Force users called Queggarhen (lit., the tainted ones). The caste is not hereditary; its members are those who are found to be Force sensitive in mandatory tests and stripped of identity. Queggarhen are not considered to be Maggarhala - or even animals - but weapons.

Queggarhen first have cyberneural interfaces surgically implanted into their brains. Then they are tortured, both through the interface and by more traditional means until they a) lose all sense of self and b) access the Dark Side of the Force. At the same time they are conditioned so they can use the Force only when certain signals are transmitted through the interface. When this process has been completed, they are sealed inside a life support casket where they are kept in a state of constant agony.

Queggarhen can only use telekinesis, although with such strength, range, and precision that they are used on capital warships. In ship-to-ship combat, they simply crush their enemies' guns as quickly as the targeters can locate them. While it is possible to use them automatically against starfighters, there are strict laws and strong social taboos against granting them even this limited level of autonomy.

The origins of Queggarhen date back to the reign of Empress Mattherhaas, a benevolent Force user. As her health declined, her Force sensitive children and courtiers plotted to gain the throne in increasingly sinister ways. Eventually one turned to the Dark Side of the Force, and the War of Succession soon began. In the final stages of the war, both factions that remained embraced the Dark Side, although there was a small band of non-Force sensitive guerrillas still loyal to the dethroned Empress. These guerrillas captured a troop of Dark Side soldiers who had had their higher brain functions stripped away by enemy attack. In their desperate need, the guerrillas trained these soldiers to use their abilities - and the rest, as they say, is history.

Present day Maggarhala have a deep cultural mistrust of the Force and those who use it. In fact, the Maggarhal Empire came into being largely because they could not tolerate the existence of free Force sensitives. Its expansion stopped only when there were no more hyperspace routes available. Since their hyperdrive technology is several generations behind the rest of the galaxy, this is likely to change.

Wuu'si Monks

The natives of the planet Si'ki have little to no Force sensitivity. Despite this, they discovered the existence of the Force during their pre-hyperdrive era, calling it Zhen'qan (lit., fountain of truth). They believe it to be a source of ultimate wisdom, but only those whose minds are completely unclouded can grasp this knowledge in its pure form. It is only by achieving the state of Wuu (lit., emptiness or nothingness) - by clearing the mind of everything which is not Truth - that this can be accomplished. Many ancient texts advise caution against Untruths, which may seem to be epiphanic manifestations of Truth but are merely preconceptions deeply imbedded in the cultural subconsciousness.

The Wuu'si monks devote their entire lives seeking Wuu. While training in Force techniques - especially those of physical enhancement and manipulation - is encouraged, it is not required. In fact, some of the more traditional sects believe that heightened sensitivity to the Force is a distraction that, like all other concerns, must be set aside to attain Wuu. Since there are no reliable records of anyone actually achieving this state, this has been and continues to be the subject of much debate. It should be stated that Force sensitivity is not a prerequisite for becoming a Wuu'si monk.

Broadly speaking, there are two approaches to Wuu. One is to live ascetically in a Wuu'si monastery, devoting every waking hour to this goal. The other is to live selflessly among the populace, helping out wherever possible and using this experience to find the universal Truth. Although the former is more revered, the latter is more appreciated. Both, however, have earned the enmity of those in power at various times in history by failing to comply.

Shamans of mTeth

On mTeth, there are many creatures which use the Force in some way. Some use it to hide from predators - who, in turn, use the Force to find them. Some use it to enhance their speed. Some use it to make fruits ripen out of season. And some use the Force to communicate among themselves, sometimes even forming primitive hive minds.

The Uk'mTeth are a sentient species not native to the planet. Believed to be the descendants of colonists who were cut off from their home world, Uk'mTeth society has devolved to a primitive state. While the Uk'mTeth are naturally Force-blind, they have discovered that ingesting certain fungi can waken the telepathic centers of the brain, enabling them to join the aforementioned hive minds and thus gain temporary access to the Force. While the fungi themselves have no hallucinogenic properties, coming in contact with the otherness of a hive mind usually results in surreal visions.

The hive minds the shamans join are predetermined by subconscious identification with the species in question - in other words, the shaman's (and almost always the tribe's) totem. The Force abilities gained are those employed by the totem creature: enhanced strength from the predatory n'habu, speed from the gazelle-like dong'ang, etc. While it is possible for shamans to use the Force in other ways, this is rare since a) it requires the hive mind to use a set of psychic muscles evolution hasn't prepared it to and b) it doesn't occur to the shamans that such a thing is even possible.

Tzetic Cartographers

The Tzetic are - or, possibly, is - a Force user from a race of mobile, sentient plants that reproduce by budding. Because of this, none of the offspring had the opportunity to develop individuality, functioning as one mind in many bodies. They are proficient in two Force powers: long-distance telepathy among themselves and the ability to sense gravity fields.

These two powers combined enable the Tzetic to keep an accurate, up-to-date gravitational map of the galaxy (at least, of sectors where they currently are) in their heads, which in turn allow them to plot hyperspace routes with a precision that has been described as "threading several moving needles with one attempt". This uncanny ability has led to rumors that the Tzetic can use the Force to create a tunnel through hyperspace gravity shadows, or even to move stars out of their way in times of great need.

While the Tzetic tend to gravitate to areas with a high concentration of matter, at least one can be found in most known sectors. When they bud, the offshoot usually stays with the "parent" until it reaches biological maturity (15 to 25 years, depending on growing conditions), then heads out toward uncharted regions. Presumably the Tzetic's objective is to create a map of the entire galaxy, although no-one knows for sure why.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lazy K Interesting and different idea. Do you have any information about Wadatz and its population?
    It feels like you are missing a word or two here.

10. Lazy K

Sep 22, 2012
    Ugh. This is what I get for posting three hours before I should be waking up.

Not really. But . . . hmm . . . [face_thinking_out_loud]

I suspect the Wadatzii have an aversion to the Force in general. There may even be a few cities where they don't consider turning the Wheel to be using the Force, or that the Wheels are turned by people. Probably the believers of "malignant supernatural entities" mentioned above, in which case Mau Rinn may be worshiped as a god (or a prophet at the very least) instead of a mere Force adept. Such societies may have miniature Wheels in their households - something akin to prayer wheels, perhaps?

Re: industrialization, while there would be little to no air pollution from burning fossil fuels, other industrial waste products would have been a problem in the past (and still may be). I'm assuming the invention of the Wheel ( :p ) took place relatively early in Wadatzii history (analogous to ancient Greeks, or even Bronze Age?) so . . .

While the Wheel could be used to plow fields and such, it wouldn't be practical for hard-to-reach places (terraced rice paddies come to mind) unless there was some way of storing that power (chemical springs?).

. . . hmm . . .

To be honest, Wadatz and its natives were a spur-of-the-moment addition to the Wheel. I doubt I'll be expanding that particular bit unless inspiration strikes (i.e., my muse hits me with a hammer).

11. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    As someone particularly interested in the relationshio between Force teachings, beliefs and traditions among the Jedi vs. average people, I find this all very interesting. You're turning my thought wheels! No play intended. ;)

Gamiel, Findswoman , Kahara and 2 others like this.
  12. Lazy K

Sep 22, 2012
    I've added The Cradle of Light and Queggarhen to my list of Force oddities.

Basically, they're all variations on the theme of "How can you keep someone from turning to the Dark Side and wreaking havoc on the galaxy? I mean really?"

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Findswoman , Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  14. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Lazy K

Sep 22, 2012
    I've added the following to my list of Force oddities:

Wuu'si Monks
    Shamans of mTeth
    Tzetic Cartographers

The Tzetic Cartographers were inspired in part by Gamiel's post here. And the gastronomic alchemists also mentioned there are giving me ideas, too . . .

Kahara, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

Also, I have not had time to read your post but soon, soon... [face_devil]

Oh, if you want some more posts in similar style for inspiration, just give me a call :)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That some wonderful ideas Lazy K =D=, keep them coming :D
    I suggest naming Mau Rinn's group something else then 'the Force adepts' since Force adepts is such a generic term. It reads to me like somebody would write "the last of the knights", but that could just be me.

Do the Cradle have any other powers then their tele-empathic bounds? What group was behind their original creation? Are there only one group of the Cradle of Light or are there many? If the later do all the different groups chare a bound or do they only share abound with the own group? Are they a one planet group or can you find them spread among the stars? What species do the recruit from or do they try to recruit any Force sensitives they find an like? What reach do their tele-empathic bound have?

Oh, feels very Warhammer 40k.

Any idea where the Maggarhal Empire lay? How do the empire know if an outsider Force sensitive is Force sensitive? How do they react to species with psychic powers? How may systems do they control? Is the empire a single or multiply species empire? If the former: how do they react to other species?

Also, I think you are missing a word in this sentence: "Since their hyperdrive technology is several generations behind the rest of the galaxy, this is likely to change."

I am reminded of Dune's Mentats; Adept Koriel Zeth plan from Graham McNeill's Mechanicum novel and Buddhist monks (even if the last one have some people who supposedly have reached enlightenment).

What Force techniques do they know? What Force techniques do they not know?

What species do the Uk'mTeth belong to? Where do mTeth lay? Any ide what kind of environments mTeth have?

I have some suggestions on some more Force powers the shaman could be using if you are interested?

Is there only "one" Tzetic or are there "groups" of Tzetics? How do they react to other Force guided hyperespace navigators who use the dark side, like my illtravellers? Do it/they have any relationship with any other groups?

I call telepathy that can reach between the stars 'astropathy', a portmanteau of 'astro' and 'telepathy'.

Do they have an aversion against the Force as thought by the jedi or against anything that is supernatural/magic in their world view? If the later what do they think of psychic powers? What about other religions and their miracle workers?

I like that idea.

Batteries is one idea, you could also use vapour engines or just animals, it took a long time for machines to take over most kinds of man/animal powered duties even in western Europe. You could also have that Water and wind power are the main energy sources after the Wheel.

*Hands Lazy K's muse a new hammer.*

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Serious discrepancies between where the comlinks on Wiki intimate how far it is from ground to orbit, and what counts as Low Earth Orbit in RL.

I've had to change my choreography, and invent an updated comlink to compensate.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do people want to see from me this month?

* A dictionary for the slang used by the characters in 'Searching for lost Irellion'?
    * Munto Codru’s Wild Wizards?
    * Green Kensei and Green Kensei space?
    * Night worlds?
    * Different blasters/blaster tech?
    * Near-arkanian species?

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The first should be in the story's footnotes, IMHO.

I want night worlds. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

22. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    not sure if i've done this right (but i'm sure someone will tell me) this is a planet i've created for a story i'm working on, enjoy.

Carros in the Ukatis system

Ukatis (in the inner rim) was ruled by a monarchy, in around 4000BBY they realised that their planet was in danger from a rogue planet heading for their system. They immediately started plans to deal with the rogue but being unable to outright destroy it they opted to divert it instead using a series of gravity generators and massive weapon strikes on the surface they succeeded in diverting the rogue into a stable orbit at the very edge of the system naming it Carros after the niece of the astronomer who first discovered it. As a result of the bombardment and constant gravity shifts Carros has been ravaged by massive tectonic activity leading to volcanic eruptions that scour the surface and maintain a temperature just above freezing in the tectonically stable areas (in the centre of tectonic plates) and skyrocketing temperatures around the edges of the plates. Carros' atmosphere is mostly nitrogen and the few inhabitants (mining engineers and surveyors) live in sheltered areas or underground. The sun appears as a small bright sphere, enough to illuminate the surface but not enough to brighten the sky making the sky look black as pitch with not a star to be seen. Carros is sparsely populated by roving teams of miners who travel in large armoured mining rigs from one side of the continent to the other extracting useful ores from the volcanic debris. There are two or three firmly established mining complexes featuring mining tunnels that extend deep underground, most of these tunnels have played out leaving the sites available for third parties to use them for whatever they wish but not without the permission of Ukatis royalty. Since the planet's poles are shifting almost constantly due to the punishment it's taken over the years electronic equipment performs erratically on the surface and if not shielded doesn't work at all and transmissions have to be sent from a powerful transmitters if they are to stand a chance of leaving the surface.

EDIT: the planet does not have any native life or transplanted life as it's surface is extremely harsh and unbreathable requiring breathing equipment to walk on it the terrain is like a barren windswept tundra interspersed with jagged mountain ranges and wide ravines where tectonic activity has opened fissures and driven layers of rock up to form mountains, from above there are regular craters spread across the surface some so large and filled with water they seem to be oceans. What water there is on the surface is mostly frozen (in the continents) and at the edges where volcanic activity is high it remains liquid.
    Weather - Mostly snow and hail with occasional storms that build up every few years to form super storms making it almost impossible to set foot outside
    Inhabitants - Mostly humans from the Ukatis system who are on Carros for mining either in the mines or supervising, some of the mines are run by the government as a penal colony. Some of the miners have heard tales of a snow beast that devours any hapless victim it finds on the surface, whether it exists or not is up to whoever uses this.
    Ores - the usual ores that are common on any world along with the rarer tydirium and cortosis
    The mining rigs are huge blocky structures the size of towns (imagine an oil rig but instead of pylons sunk into the ocean they have tracks that look like the jawa transports on Tattooine) these transports are organised into blocks, most of them are dedicated to ore extraction, scooping up the surface ash deposited by volcanic action and extracting ores within, other blocks are separated into habitation and entertainment which are further split into workers and supervisors (who live in more comfort)
    Equipment - since cortosis mining is dangerous all miners have to wear filters and use hydraulic mining equipment (in the underground mines) while the mining rigs use a process similar to fracking to extract the ores from the surface by blasting the target area with high pressure water and sucking up the end result.

I hope this has answered some of your questions, if you have any more just ask and i'll see what i can come up with

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that you did right Iix_Hunter , ignoring the double post but that happens to the best of us ;)

Now you will have to suffer my traditional questions [face_devil] :
    Regarding Carros: How do it have any native life and if so, how dose it look like? How do it have any implanted life and if so what? Any unusual kind of terrain or terrain that is unusually common? Any ore that is has in high amount? When was Carros put around Ukatis' star?

Regarding the people on Carros: What specie/s are they? How do they dress? Any group/species that they have prejudice to? Any unique superstitions? Is there a kind of technology/gadget/items that they don’t have/use or is unique to them? Do they have any kind of martial tradition and what arms and armour do they use? How is their food? Is there any large scale organised crime? How do the mining rigs look like? How do the architecture of the mining complexes look like? What do they do for entertainment?

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Kahara, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that horses those Dunai elder are riding on or some horse-like species?

26. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I will soon post this month's fanon regarding some nightworlds but I was wondering what people would like to see from me next month's fanon?

* A dictionary for the slang used by the characters in 'Searching for lost Irellion'?
    * Munto Codru’s Wild Wizards?
    * Green Kensei and Green Kensei space?
    * Different blasters/blaster tech?
    * Near-arkanian species?
    * The Proud (a UR species)?
    * Lost Force traditions?