main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Anedon some more/updated concepts:

* Water world with the existing landmass mostly in form of sea-stacks. People live as fisherman and sea-farmers in villages built around the stacks, with some of the sea stacks having small spaceports built at the top.
    As of two generations so have the [name] pirates made the planet their base, in a way becoming its protector since they don’t want slavers or other pirates to prey on the natives. The pirates are ruled by a council made up by all ship captains and representatives of the natives, the elected leader of the council is known as the Admiral.
    There is a working relationship between the natives and the pirates (and sometime more with pirates having families among the natives) – the pirates protect the natives and pay for stuff they break or take, the natives give the pirates part of the food they make as protection tax and get to trade food, vine, song and love for whatever the pirates have looted this time. The pirates don’t allow their own to go wild among the natives since they understand that while they can keep them check by fear and killing anybody that tries anything it would be bad for business and the natives would work against them in all small ways they can be undetected doing.

* a planet where an family of hutt exiles has made their home for over a 100 years. The hutts live in castles (usually just one to three huts per castle) protected and served by the descendants of their original servants and the natives that has found work for the hutts better than their original lifestyle. Each caste is either large enough to house the whole servant body or have a town just outside of it.
    To get along with the rest of the Teris sector have the hutt family has forbidden slavery in their space and from time help out with slaver/pirate hunting.

* mineral rich swamp-world with very little highland, making it so that nearly all mining operations has to be done directly in wet lands. The planet is warm with no permanent ice poles and the equatorial region is considered an uninhabitable steam sauna by most humans. Island exist all over the planet but they are nothing but hard packed dirt, sand and/or clay, often kept together by the vegetation growing on them. Many a spacer have found out that a spaceship is a bit heavier than several of those islands can handle without the ship beginning to sink into, usually the sinking stop ones the landing gears have disappeared in to the island and the hull rest directly upon the islands surface but sometime a ship land and makes the island go to pieces. There is also that many areas of open calm water get a layer of surface growth that the unknowing can mistake for solid ground, the natives always find it funny when outsiders try to land their ships on those areas.
    The flora and fauna is filled with counterparts to all manner of swamp and wetland creatures that exist, or even have existed, on Earth; there are countless of leeches, disease carrying mosquitos, and all predators know how to use the swamp to their ultimate advantages, they belong here – you don’t.
    The native population can roughly be divided after how they create their settlements: on stilt-houses built at the edge or around an island; on stilt-houses standing alone; in the trees; or on the surface of an island. Many of the settlements use nearby islands as farmland, either to keep animals or grow plants.
    Ins.: AtLA’s Great Swamp; Rescuers’ Devil's Bayou; Scenic Dunnsmouth to Lamentations of the Flame Princess; Southern Comfort (1981); any real life swamp, delta, or wetland, like the Louisiana Bayou; the Amazon Delta; etc.

* planets whose rotational speed and orbit are perfectly synchronised, resulting in a local day and a local year being of identical length. Life exist in the constantly moving twilight-belt with the native life either surviving by hibernating through the day-summer and night-winter, only living one season or in by being in constant movement. The people live a nomadic lifestyle on the back of animals and hover-towns.
    The animal life is similar in shape to the migrating ones found on Earth’s grassland but lack fur and scale; the flying animals come in two great families – one resembling bats while the other is reminiscent of rays – both groups come in many different sizes, colours and has both predators and herbivores among them.

* green islands of grassy hills, rocky slopes and forested valleys, perfect for racing [space sheep]. People live mostly of fishing, agriculture and rockworks. Boats are used for fishing but hover/flying crafts are used for most kinds of longer travel. People dress similar to Wild West villagers/farmers [note the “villagers/farmers” part, as in "not like cowboys or gunslingers"!] combined with some spacer and seafarer elements, fish leather is a highly common material. Guns are common, either as personal protection or just as a sign that you are a free man that can carry one and more or less ever household has a rifle or similar.
    Buildings are mostly of the 19th-centery pioneer/boomtown style but with more use of rocks as building material. Since flat land is rare so are most settlements built along the slops with the road serpentineing in-between the houses.
    People live in larger family units - known as great-families - that can be between 20 to over 1000 strong. Each great-families control an area which usually has at least one village, sometime even town; the cities [which are small by our standard] are divided between great-families, newcomers and people who don’t want to mention their family name - no single great-family control a whole city. To protect against raiders and pirates so are most towns equipped with at least one weapons platform and/or some kind of bastion where the people can take shelter, the villages usually lack any kind of weapons platform but many of them has some kind of “bomb shelter” like structure/s beneath one or more of the houses and sometime a group of villages that are close to each other have a collective keep where they run to for protection.

* a primordial planet (think LV-426 from Alien) whose native life is only made up by microorganisms, where a number of small shantytown/cities have been created out of old spaceships, landers and pre-fab hab-units. People farm (mostly beans, fungus and algae) inside jury-rigged-turned-permanent greenhouses.
    You need a filtration mask to be able to breath the air (which is low on oxygen but not deadly low), and the near constant rain is irritating to the skin but not harmful, unless you’re in it for longer time.
    Some of the fungus farmed has marijuana like effects if prepared right and are used by the natives for recreational and medical purposes.

* Asterian is one of the more populated world in the Teris sector and consists mostly of endless forests/jungles in between countless small villages are located. In-between are a few city-state, built in and on the ruins of athenar cities, which house most of the planets population. The villages are mostly inhabited by the original settlers while the cities are more universal with people descending from many different waves of settlers. No matter city or village background so are the Asterians known to not forget easily, neither kindness, nor wrong.
    The city-states manufacture and rebuilt droids, and are known for giving the droids they make/remake wooden plating.
    The planet has a bad reputation in the sector as it was the heart of the corsair group that plagued the sector from 5 ABY to 36 ABY. These corsairs lead by a mysterious dark Jedi had taken over most of the sector and oppressing and enslaving the inhabitants. During that time so was the city-states droid makers/fixers ordered to make them/reprogram stolen battle droids for their pirate forces.

Anedon likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Intresting concept though there are a few things that don´t really fit: The Terian pirates usually aren't buiness related. Its more people who at least to an extend sympahize with the Terians. Usually these pirates don't get rich and accept that. So I would say these well organized money focused pirates wouldn't fit there. I could see them on a place like Asterian maybe but not on a world as you mentioned. Also most Terians would rather die than pay protection tax.
    Also keep in mind the Terians are effectivley anarchists not democractic so even elected leaders like the admiral you mentioned wouldn't really exsist, they again could exsist in pirate groups with a more loose connection to the sector you could find on worlds like Asterian or Darvin but don't really fit on a more backwater world like this example.
    Maybe we could change the pirates to have them fit better?

No, I don´t really want Hutts in the Teris sector, maaaybe one or two individuals ivolved in shady buiness.
    Also the concept sounds basically like Serian just with Hutt exiles instead of human nobles exiles.

Intresting idea, should defenetly work.

Maybe entire hover towns or on towns on the back of animals are a bit too technically advanced for the Teris sector. Maybe have them more down to earth nomands who live in tents?

Should work though again everyone carrying weapons is the norm in the Teris sector.

This drugg stuff is certianly something that could and would exsist in a libertarian place like the Teris sector, nice idea.

Well keep in mind that the cities on Asterian aren´t really well organized city states as your idea implies and more overcrowded, messy pirate dens, and the world actually has a bad reputation by most other Terians. Many people from Asterian actually made up these pirates(the leader was a Sith Inquistor who deserted after Endor and only brought a handfull of followers to the world, it was there that he recuited his following from the young and hopeless in the slums of the cities), so I would change it into the manufacturers working for him instead of being forced into it.
    The traditionalists in the villages were mostly left alone and stayed out of it.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was not really thinking money focused, more along with resources (technology, foodstuff, spices, medical items, droids, etc.) and that they in practise used barter system between each other and the natives. Also the protection tax is not really a tax as it's originally extortion - by paying it the natives are not just protected from other pirates but also from the [name] pirates.

Looking over my writing I see I made them sound more organised than I was imaging them - the admiral is meant as more of a speaker then any real leader and the gatherings of captains are not orderly and are called whenever something that needs to be decided and then only the captains that are on planet. I should probably have written 'The pirates are "ruled" by a council' to indicate that it does not really rule

ok

Just wondering: would something like town sized versions of Mortal Engines' Traction Cities work?

Here is an interesting example of how people read the same thing in different ways - I originally had written cities but change them into city-state to indicate that the cites was not united.

Anedon likes this.
  4. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I got that, again no Terian would submit to something like this. At best they would do it to buy themsleves some time while preparing to crush you. Not to mention the other Terian´s would stand by when such abuse happenes. Also again outside pirate groups would be more likely on places like Asterian than remote worlds like this.
    Maybe we could change this a bit. Maybe instead of the pirates opressing the locals they are actually one people. Basically one half of their society lives the pirate livestyle while the other half lives on the world, providng a safe heaven for the pirates. It could either have some sort of system which determinds which of these two paths a youth will follow or it could be a loose system were people follow both at different times. In this the locals would share their "products" with the pirates and vice versa, woth both mainly working for the community.

How about this? The ships technically belong to the community as a whole but when they are in space/on raids and so on the crews elect a captain who for the time of the raid is in command but outside of the action isn´t really above anyone else. That kinda fits with the Terian way of appointing a leader in times of great need, like Gaven was. Same thing could go for the admirals(though I would maybe change the particular title for something less militaristic) they are choosen for one particluar opperation and during it have command authority but not outside of this situation. Though of course succesfull captains and admirals would be more likely to be elected again thus kinda keeping the title to an extend.

Not really to be entirely honest, Keep in mind the Terians are dirt poor compared to the rest of the galaxy. They would hardly have the resoucres or know how to craft things like this. Though looking at the concept in general, which I actually find pretty intresting, there is really nothing in it that would mandate this place exsiting in the Teris sector. Maybe you could put it somewhere else in the galaxy?

Well to me city state implies an organized quasi nation that mainly consists just of one city. Like the Italian city states of Venice, Florence and so on.

5. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    No new entries (even to lists), but I've made a few minor updates to pre-existing entries.

I've added some more details on how Force Combustion works. Namely, the user focuses on a specific point in space to generate the explosion rather than just a specific target (and that some users combine this with precognition for taking out moving targets).

On the list of Forceless Collective creatures, Rapthounds, while kept alive by their symbiotes, are constantly starved to make them more vicious (the symbiote just supplies the bare minimum nutrients for survival), and are unable to fully satisfy their hunger because of that big eyeball plugging up their throat.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Exeter and Gamiel like this.
  6. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    It’s been a while, hasn’t it! :D Pleased to announce a couple new fanon posts that have been added to the index:

@Gahmah Raan, if you could please send that information about your updates to this sock by PM, that would be very helpful for recordkeeping. Thanks so much. :)

And I'm open to suggestions for new discussion topics, too, because it may be about time for one of those. Anyone? :D

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Findswoman had an idea some pages ago:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My idea was that the pirates had begun as oppressors but by now one, two or tree generations later, they have become two communities living side by side with intermarriages and different duties

from a discussion point of view: what do you think about the idea that the original settlers had the "Traction villages/towns" with them when they arrives as a way to be prepared for their new life there but the investment into the "Traction villages/towns" is the reason to why they are dirt poor.

And that's bad because you think that's to organised in you mind?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Findswoman likes this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well maybe, but then defenetly without stuff like a tax or so. MAybe both would share their respective "products" with each other but I don´t really see Terians being forced to pay taxes and tolerating that. Though it would beg the question why the Terians would develop closer relationships with former oppressors.

Don´t think that works, its just doesn´t fit the Terian astetic which is more a lack of tech rather than a tech based society. Also if these people had money in the first place to buy these machines they wouldn´t go to the Teris sector, that´s usually the last place people from the rest of the galaxy would go to. And even if they couldn´t go anywere else the Teris sector is large enought to find a place that doesn´t require such a huge investment.
    But again first and foremost the astetic and tech level don´t fit with the Teris sector in my opinion.
    Again its a good idea but I would suggest using it in another place of the galaxy.

Yeah, keep in mind the larger cities are the places were newcomers and non traditionalists would live and they are pretty much a mess.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Life happened.

With which I mean is that what I have seen, as a history student, is that when a new group arrive to an area is that unless they completely lock themselves out from the others* so do they interact and interaction leads to friendships, children, people adopting each other's cultures, seeking employment at each other, etc. The pirates are not that many don't really have any more notable stream of new people coming from space/other planets so they are going to have to interact with the natives and at least some of the natives are going to be interested in trying out a life of piracy for a season or more.
    * and they need larger number to do that (and possibly a stream of new arrives (or not caring about inbreeding)) and either having people knowing all the crafts they need or the ability to completely lord over the others so they can do that for you.

I would keep the title of admiral, if for no other reason that its humours: its a joke that the guy whose role is that of a speaker of the assembly but beside that don't have any power is called admiral

You do give me problems when it comes up with interesting or alternative tech for planets while also not making it to primitive, I think that's the one thing that makes it hardest for me to come up with stuff. But that's why we have this discussion.

Feel to me like you are underestimating peoples ability to organise, just look at places like New York during the 19th century, lots of newcomers (many illegal) a big mess when it comes to the administration and people could still organise. There don't need to be a advanced bureaucracy or census for a city-state to work: just enough roles and laws, and people capable to enforce the more important ones

10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    That could work. I´m just uncofortable with the initialy part of the pirates opressing the people, why not say the pirates went there basically to hide or for another reason and at first their relationship was mainly buiness, the pirates and locals largely ignored each other but then over time began to speak/interact with each other, with these bonds growing as time went on.

Maybe but the thing is titles are kinda frowned upon in the sector for example Gaven was basically the leader of the entire sector for a time and he didn´t have a title.
    But how about this? Maybe when the pirates came to the world they were lead by an admiral who was an abolute ruler more or less, over time and by getting closer to the locals the admirals role became more and more a ceremonial/representative one whith very little real power, with that title being more a relic of their heritage(and if you want even an inside joke of some sorts)?

Well I mentioned ealier that the Terians are certianly below the Lars family like having one or two droids/speeder per village, so I guess these cities are too much. I appologize just for how unclear this is. To me the Teris sector has a certian feel to it, in therms of what could and could not fit, I´ve really trouble putting in clear words, sorry for that.

Well some of that certianly exists, for example factories have a worker unions which leads the buiness, citie districts would have assemblies of the people living there discussing the most important things organizing life. Though anything higher would make Terians hesitant, the general rule of thumb is that most Terians don´t want a goverment that they don´t know and that doesn´t know them. To some extend they might even elect infromal leaders but they would rarely be in control of large areas of life, as again the Terians perfer to have leaders they know and that know them, not ones that have never seen them and have littel knowledge of their lives. For example lets say in a town there is a factory and a spaceport. People in the factory might feel uncomfortable to have someone from the spaceport "rule" over them and vice versa. So both would have their own leaders who of course do work with each other in matters that are related to both of them but otherswise stay out of each other areas. Of course this would depend on the size of both. If its a small town were everybody knows everyone a single leader might be elected on a large town you would have a greater number of themw hich would make overall organizations harder.
    Also on these leaders they are informal and usually won´t have any titles, they are voted for openly and can be voted out of office at any time, also every citizen can approach them if they have a matter to discuss, while important descisions are decided by everyone together.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The way I would probably do it to organise the city-states internally while also representing how complete a mess they are is that each city-state is made up by districts (who are not created fro above (usually)) with more or less each district (and it's possibly that many of them are made up largely of one ethnicity, like Little Italy or China Town in NY) has their own leadership (each which is created in a different way*). Then there is that each larger craft has its own guild** (or more if infighting split them up or they represent different parts of the town), there is also possibly an odd-fellows guild made up by the craftsmen whose craft is to small for a guild of their own; worker unions for the unskilled labour***; there is societies for specific questions or interests (maybe religious) whose membership bridges the different districts/communities/crafts; there are trade and/or pirate houses; oligarch families; larger corporations; and then there are the organised crime groups.
    Most, if not all, of the above exist in each city-state (more or less) but in different ways for each city-state**** (and sizes, a 5000 city is going to have much smaller groups then one of 100.000), and dependin on the city-state the city-state-council is made up by representatives of: the most powerful groups; more or less all the groups; the groups that represent [number] of people; more than one council (maybe similar to UK's upper and lower houses or USA's House of Representatives and the Senate); the members of the city-state-council are chosen by theoretically democratic elections; anybody can join the city-state-council but they most first get the right reaction from an ancient athenar device, if you don't get the right reaction from the device it dose not matter how powerful you are you will not get a position in the council; the city-state-council is only called in times of great need (outsiders attack; political upheavals in the near area; similar) and is then made up by representatives of all groups, during the times of not-great-need all the different groups try to stay out of each other ways or work it out between each other; there is no city-state-council, all the different groups try to stay out of each other ways or work it out between each other when they can't; something special is the main income, or just the symbol, for the city-state (f.ex. mining; advanced glassworks; reaper, scarping and rebuilding of spaceships; etc.) and the groups that are involve with that, in one way or another, are the ones who make up the upper members of the city-state-council/s; etcetera.

There is also that each city-state's council have different rules regarding what they can decide on and how the decision making is done.

Not one city-state is similar to another.

* F.ex: a council made up by the older people with religious training; a council made up by post-menopausal women; the district is lead by the local mafia (think the beginning of the Godfather); there is a decisions making council the first Saturday each month and anybody who is willing to go and take the time has a right to speak and vote on the decisions that come up at that meeting; only people who are of certain high age or has a master title (or similar) in their craft are allowed to be involved in community decisions; the oldest members of each family meet up at least ones a week for caff/similar and gossip, during those talks the community's decisions are being made; the district is lead by a member of an extremely long-lived species, nobody in the district can remember a time when s/he did not lead them and can't really think of any good reason to why s/he should not continue leading them; a rich family is the districts leadership because they are paying for the districts watch and some (or maybe all) of the community service; a guild/union/similar is really strong in the district and its leadership is the district's; there is no system of leadership, who ever says he speak for the district and is not naysaid by too many is the leader;

** there could even be guilds for things we don't think deserve guilds or think of as unskilled labour.

*** which may be different things then the usual unskilled labour

**** F.ex: in one city-state the guilds are really powerful while in another they are among the lower power players; what species/culture is highly important in the city-state and all the guilds/unions/similar are split up after those lines; unions or guilds are less important than the districts people live in; unions and guilds are the real power-players in the city-state, with all the other groups having a rather unimportant role; the crime families have in practise the monopoly on violence in the city-state and it's their shadow-council that has the real power;

All the above create a big mess for outsiders that the people living in it see as organised, understand, can work with and feel like they have a say in (in one way or another) while the city-stat is not too organised, powerful or stable.

I should probably say that much of the above is more thrown out as examples as how it could be than something where every point has to be used.

Part of the problem for me is to also not make them to primitive while not also making them feel to similar to our tech.

Maybe you could give examples of pictures, movies, books and/or comics that you think represent the Teris sector feel, at least when it comes to technology?

I'm actually inspired by a podcast episode about the Russian organised crime that I heard (here if anybody is interested ) where they mentioned that the organise crime begun as "pay us money for protection or we will beat you up but we will not actually protect you from other", continued to "pay us money for protection or we will beat you up but we will protect you from other", and then in a way taking over many of the roles the state, after the Sovjets collapse, had abounded.

Feels like a bit unneeded backstory for what is just a bunch of pirates finding it funny to call their "leader" admiral

12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Again such a council goes against everything the Terians stand for, they have no overarching governemts, period. But I guess your right in that this couldn´t work on a city level, and I was kinda wrong to try and go into that direction, so I discussed this with a friend and we went back to basically my orginal idea of the sector, of a stronger segergated two scoieties model.

The point kinda is that the Terians rarely live in the cities. the cities are the places of the newcomers, pirates and outcasts. They usually don´t have the general terian ideals, maybe they have adapted some but in general they aren´t like that. These cities/pirate dens/places of refugees for people that have no other place to go, could and likely would have some form of despotism of oligarchic leadership. Though still very unorganized and shifting. And there wouldn´t be many places like that, the vast majority of the population lives in small communities, villages and tribes. Keep in mind barely any people really come to the sector, most would consider other places to hide first. I´m sorry for makeing this so unclear in the past and for at times contradicting myself with this but the general gist is that the "traditional" Terians lives in small communities while the larger cities are filled with people who don´t follow these ideals(though some of it might still be present). Sorry for messign that up.

Also the Terians aren´t superstiotus idiots when it comes to Athenar tech, they are intelligent enough to understand the very few things left behind and would certainly not have rituals involving something they don´t understand.

Not sure if there even exsists something like I imagine the Teris sector to be. Also I dislike concrete examples as they can easily lead to the Terians becoming "X in space/SW" which is actually something I try to avoid.
    I´ve you really want it I can have a look if I find some things that fit though I´m generally opposed to the idea.

The Terian´s wouldn´t tolerate that. The cities that do exists as mentioned above, are tolerated because the people there leave the Terians alone, a live and let live policy. These pirates would have been driven of if they ever tried something like this, infact that´s with the main source of conflict in the sector, when people/groups or despots from the cities try to expand their influence and put some of the local communities under their thumb. Keep in mind the Terians are fanatic libertainrians most of who would rather die then live under opression. If they would accept deals like the one you mentioned they would have joined the republic ages ago, they are able to and proud of the fact that they can defened themselves and most would prefer dying fighting to submission, at best they would temprorary accept such a deal but secretly prepare to slit the pirates troaths the when an opportunity arises.

Again if they wanted a safer life with better living conditions the Terians could join the republic and in fact each generation there are kids who do just that. But most of them deliberatly choose this simple and often harsh life because they want to be truly free.

Well to me without any explanation it would just be a silly joke with no merit for it being there.

Again I´m sorry for some misleading stuff in the last few posts, I kinda deviated from my orginal idea which my best friend pointed out to me when we discussed this today, kinda doesn´t work as you noted as well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Findswoman likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @FanonSock Have added Han Solo and Hon Solo to my slang lexicon post

----------------------

Okey.

I feel like I should mention that all those confusing city-state organisation systems were only meant for Asterian in this discussion, not the sector overall. But if you or other people reading this want to use any of it for their own ideas, feel free.

As presented they don't need to not understand it, they need just a peace of Athenar tech that read something* of the person and that the people have decided that a bad read means you are not fit for office.
    * your overall health; your midiclorian count; chances for developing neurodegenerative disease; how hard it's for space wraiths to posses you;

Yes, please. If you find anything

And since it's just the technology of the work not the culture/aesthetics/social order do I think there is not that big a chanse that the Terians becomes "X in space/SW".

But at the same time, as you present the Terian sector so dose it not really feel organised enough for the rest of the sector to really notice if one of the areas on a planet is taken over by pirates.

And for discussion sake: ideals are good enough but many people are willing to live in submission if it means surviving or not being beaten up (or their friends and families not being killed or beaten), at least as long as the oppressors ask too much too fast. They will plan to rise up and/or escape one day but until then they give them what they want. It's possibly what's happened in my idea but before the uprising "life happened" and they are now working together - maybe a much more evil pirate group arrived and they drew it of together; the pirates shown themselves unusually willing to help out to repair after some storms; lots of romance between the pirates and the natives

I would say it has merit in form of showing the pirates having a sense of humour

Nemo problemo.

15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well Asterian especially is newcomers just to keep in mind. The planet has Terians in the traditional sense but they live in small villages scattered throughout the forrest.

Again Terians are fanatically egalitarian they would not consider anyone unfit for a certian role, especially not because some obscure machine they don´t even understand says so. And they aren´t superstitious in regards to the Athenar, if they had such a machine they would have likely traded it for actually usefully stuff with the Athenar long ago.

That´s were the priests and by extension the Athenar come into play. Keep in mind the Teris sector with their no comprosmising attitute towards slavers and any Hutt related people is something of a, literal, human shield for the Athenar who live beyond it. As long as the Teris sector stays as it is no potential enemies can gain a foothold in it and threaten them. So even if many Terians wouldn´t notice the priests who travel the sector would, as would undoubtably the various private merchants and free traders traveling between the worlds and once word would get out about these thing many Terians would be willing to fight these pirates, to aid their brethern and prevent becoming possibly the next victims.

Well as said above if they would think like that they would have retunred to the republic ages ago. Again the Terian are basically radicall libertairans who choose to have this hard, dangerous and probably short life because they value their freedom so much. They simply would not accept this, nor would they be eager to forgive these things after a bit of forced cooperation. And of course they would never begin romances with these people, any Terian who would try would be seen as a vile outcast.
    I mean their desire for freedom really is the defining factor of the Terians and I don´t think it should be compromised in such a way, also generally don´t like the image of people falling in love or starting to care for someone who abuses them.
    Yeah one could bring up RL examples to make some sort of argument for this being possible but this is SW were not everything is always this realistic. For example the Hapans justfiy their misadrism by the evils committed by the Lorell raiders ages ago, shouldn´t realistically this world view have changed in the thousands of years since this ended?
    Same for Mandalore and their warlike clan based livestyle which goes through thousands of years without changing(at least outside of CW and even that was taken back in rebels).
    And its ultimatley the same with the Terians their freedom is the most important thing and I don´t want this to be compromised.

Okay will look into it but I don´t really have even an idea were to look, most Sifi defenetly goes in a different direction astetically.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi again, everyone. Your friendly neighborhood FanonSock here, popping in with a few new items of business.

First, @Gamiel and @Anedon, I'd like to request, very respectfully, that you please continue your discussion about the Teris Sector via PM. I'm always glad to see fanon being discussed, but since the discussion has gone on for some time now and seems to involve only the two of you, PM would seem to be a better place for it. Many thanks. :)

Second, I'd like to announce some updates to posts by @Gahmah Raan:
    • More details on Force Combustion: the user focuses on a specific point in space to generate the explosion rather than just a specific target (and some users combine this with precognition for hitting moving targets).
    • Forceless Collective creatures: Rapthounds, while kept alive by their symbiotes, are constantly starved to make them more vicious (the symbiote just supplies the bare minimum nutrients for survival), and are unable to fully satisfy their hunger because of that big eyeball plugging up their throat.

And third, discussion time! @Gamiel, thanks so much for reminding me of that proposed topic of mine from last fall or so—I think that will indeed be our next topic:

In creating fanon lore, what counts as too much borrowing from real life? This, of course, relates to the whole sticky question of earthisms: at what point does a real-life borrowing become an earthism? Examples are welcome (though please be civil and respectful, of course).

Thank you all once again! :)

Daneira, Gahmah Raan and Gamiel like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hey, not our fault nobody else want to enter in it :p

But will do if it okey with @Anedon , or you might be tiered of me by now ;)

Maybe @Findswoman would like to start since she was the one who suggested it?

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    No, I appreciate your interrest. If you want to continue the discussion just go ahead and send me a PM.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Shell I take your silence as a no to my question @Findswoman? I have an idea for post but I'm a bit of a trouble for time right now.

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sure, I can start. Sorry this slipped my mind; I’ve been in “trouble for time” basically these entire last few weeks. The main example I had was the one I already mentioned:

So yes, I’d say that if someone has just pretty much copied the details of some RL culture, religion, etc. and only changed the names and terms, that’s a RL borrowing that’s reached the point of being an Earthism.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree, but at the same time I like to copied the details of RL cultures and then just change the trappings but when it come to religions so should you not do it since it is often rather easy to see where your inspiration comes from, especially if you go into describing the rituals and/or deeper beliefs.

As stated above do I like to use stuff from RL cultures and I think creator can use real life/historical cultures/nations/sub-cultures as inspiration for fictive cultures but they should not just rip them right of and just make them non-humans, give them space-guns and/or different animals around them. They should change the culture in some way/s - combine it with other; give them some kind of thing that the original inspiration don't have; highly change their appearance; take away the thing/s that it's most famous for that you don't need for the story; etcetera. It should not be obvious at first glace that they are a space version of the cultures/nations that inspired them, that's my problem with the Ryn, I read their description in The New Essential Guide to Alien Species and directly thought that they were highly inspired by the Roma and there was very little (ignoring the physiology) that made them feel as anything else then just transplanted Roma. That they were supposed to be the creators of space tarot makes them feel (to me) as even like a caricature of the Roma in a way.

22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    My gripe is with ceremonies that are too Earth-y. Particularly weddings and funerals. I mean, even canon is guilty of this - Union was incredibly Earth-y. For the sake of discussion, I’m going to focus on weddings. Even here on Earth there are wild variations in what a proper wedding should look like - who should attend, where should it be held, what should the participants wear.
    It’s jarring to me when the bride wears white with a veil, there are bridesmaids, there’s a big, drunken bender of a bachelor party, etc. (still thinking Union...). I think the wedding, if there is one, should make logical sense based on the culture your character comes from. If it’s a culture that values tradition like Naboo, then the wedding should be fairly elaborate and ritualistic. If the culture is more laid back, like Corellia or Coruscant, then the wedding should be more of a civil ceremony. And if the culture is completely hedonistic like Zeltros, then maybe there’s no wedding at all. Same with funerals. The more traditional and elaborate the culture, the more traditional and elaborate the funeral ritual.

Daneira, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I´m generally always afraid of using any direct earther culutures as a refernece because it can easily turn into X in space. So I usually imagine my own general asteticts for the SW factions/cultures I come up with, which of course has the problem that it is harder to telegraf to the reader as I can´t use any real examples for the astetic. I guess some of this is always present as, if only subconciously, we all put certian refences into the fanon we create and I´m certianly guilty of this as well.
    Though my general concern is how misleading these references can be.

Defenetly agree with @divapilot that Luke and Mara´s wedding was very earth inspired to say the least. Generally try to create some different ceremonies for my fanon, some of which I talked about before. Like the Terian´s due to often not being able to recover a loved ones body or loosing someone to slavers, have the forefathers eve as their main mouring ceremony, as opposed to elaborate funerals.
    Now the forefather eve itself is taken from another fictional universe but I changed it quite heavily.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Gamiel, Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people think there is a difference between using RL historical cultures and RL cultures that still exists or at least exist in living memory?

-------------------------

for discussions sake, can you explain why you have problem with something turning into "X in space"?

------------------------

Something that we have not mentioned in this discussion is that sometime when you base fanon on something from the real world you want it to be a "space/SW-version" of what it's based on, possibly even notably so. For example my fanon planet Kenklucky, while not so visible in the quote bellow (will possibly change that in the future), actually begun as a KFC joke and is highly base on Kentucky, both Antebellum era and current, if a more idealized and parodied version of it (so no slaves), with giant hens used both for food and riding.
    --------------------

Also if I remember right so was one of @Ewok Poet fanon posts based a bit on something realworld, o you have anything to ad to the discussion?

25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Because this is not very creative and often leads to it turning into a carrictature of said culture, like your own example about Kenklucky. Its a funny refernce but at the same time stuff like this tends to break the immersion, for me. A sidejoke or quick cameo/refenceses are fine but I genereally really dislike when these refences become too obvious. SW is like the only Sifi I know were there isn´t really a relation to earth. W40K, ME, ST and others are all set in the future of "our" earth and as such earthern refences and culutres fit, but the humanity in SW is completly unrelated to Earth and as such earthern refences don´t really fit in my opinion.

Now I will say that I´m something of a pedant when it comes to this and to stuff that break my immersion, so i´m generally against too obvious references/fourth wall breaking or generally things only present for comedic relief.

Gamiel likes this.