main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fate of Kamino

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by toochilled, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Some would say that Kamino will be all but destroyed {structures, not planet} in Episode III.

Discuss the relative merits of this ;)

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think it will be destroyed. I think it will fade away from the forefront and will give us something else to speculate on forever.

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It could perhaps br snnexed by the Republic/Empire and hold no more importance as just another cog in the Imperial supply chain.

Of course, if it gets destroyed, one would hope that Sidious/Palpy would have already established some other facility using the Kaminoan cloning process to serve as a backup facility and/or to act as a suppliement to the facilities on Kamino.

4. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I'd LOVE to see a battle on Kamino. I think that if the seperatists knew that the Clones were coming from Kamino, they'd launch an attack on it. But I dunno. Could go either way. It'd promise to be an incredible battle if it came to that. :D[/color]

5. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I think it will simply exist without anyone ever really thinking about it again - just another planet never thought about again. I think it's jumping the gun a little to think that because we don't see it in the OT, it must have been destroyed in the time of the PT.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't think Kamino, Naboo, or any other PT planet will be destroyed in E3. Why would they need to be? I think GL will focus the story away from grand scale combat in this movie.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    In my opinion, destroying any planet in Episode 3 would take away from the emotional impact that should be associated with the destruction of Alderaan in A New Hope. Alderaan's destruction will be even more dramatic if we get a glimpse of life on Alderaan in Episode 3.

Just like some planets only appear in one of the OT movies (such as Hoth), I think there should be some planets that only appear in the PT. Just because we don't hear about a planet later on doesn't mean that it doesn't exist anymore.

Edit:
    After re-reading the thread, I realized that I need to learn how to read. :p

Anyways, some sort of war on Kamino would be interesting. I'm sure ILM could pull it off, and it would look fantastic.

8. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I think the real question is that are the cloning facilities on Kamino going to stay in operation? I never assumed that Kamino would be destroyed completely. But I think it would be a good move for the seperatists to try and take out some of the cloning facilities before the clone army gets too big. I would be interesting to know what happens with that. Do the Kaminoans keep on making clones for the empire? Where do they get the Genetic supply for the clonings? Boba?[/color]

9. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Kamino will probably still be around, but not spoken of. I see it this way: with the Clone War going on, there's a good chance the Republic will be going through a great many clones. Somebody has to keep growing them, and the Kamino indicated that they'd be more them happy to continue to do so. Kamino might be out of sight (again), but not out of mind.

10. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

After the events of the Clopne Wars and the Empire takes power, Kamino will just fade into the history books.

I would that there would be a certain ammount of stigma attatched to it and the people that did know about it, wouldn't discuss it.

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    In my opinion, destroying any planet in Episode 3 would take away from the emotional impact that should be associated with the destruction of Alderaan in A New Hope.

Jeff, I totally agree. But certainly the cloning facilities or even the Kaminoins themselves could be threatened or destroyed.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I seem to recall word of an EU comic titled The Battle of Kamino or something of that sort.

Perhaps EU will deal with it? It's no longer significant to the primary storyline--it only existed to create the clones. Now that they are around, it serves no plot purpose.

13. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    ''I think the real question is that are the cloning facilities on Kamino going to stay in operation? ''

Indeed.

The big point, imo, is that the cloning will cease {presumably}.
    Old Ben's line in ANH about them being 'limited in numbers' hints to me that something has happened to the cloning facilities. Something that he knows about.

14. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I think it is safe to assume that the Confederacy will attack the cloning plants of the Republic while the Republic attacks the foundaries of the Republic.

15. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree with Ternian. While I don't believe Kamino will be destroyed, I do think it possible that an attack could be made on the planet to destroy the cloning facilities. The amphibian Gungans could lead an underwater attack on the structures, for instance.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    That would kinda jive with one of the early TPM rumors - word waaaaaayy back in the day said that there would be something of an underwater battle featuring lots of bongos and other Gungun seafaring vessels. Given that Lucas has done a battle of some kind in just about every type of environment, an underwater battle wouldn't surprise me much for Episode III.

17. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    An attack led by Kenobi? At the request of Amidalla?
    The first act of the 'rebellion' perhaps?

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "I think GL will focus the story away from grand scale combat in this movie."

But Lucas has hinted at a "great" event occuring in the PT, which might explain the absence of these planets in the OT.

I think Vader's line of "the ability to destroy a planet is nothing compared to the power of the Dark Side" will be given new weight in the OT.

Also, I don't think this will detract from the DS in the OT. It would further show the Empire's resolve to eliminate any dissenters at whatever means possible. Such a use of the Force would be extremely draining, hence the Emperor's OT appearance. Rather than risk his life repeating this action, he has the Death Star built, so that planets can be easily destroyed at his whim. what we see in ANH would be a continuation of this policy. The ease with which Tarkin chooses which planets to destroy is still very menacing.

19. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't think anything will happen to Kamino. The Separtists won't find it and clones will continue to be churned out of Kamino till the Empire collapses.

20. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I can see the Seperatists attacking the cloning facilities of the Republic, but keep in mind that it won't be by Palpatine/Sidious's doings. He (Sidious) is ultimately responsible for the Seperatists, secretly through Count Dooku, but his goal is to create a conflict so that he can claim emperorship of the galaxy. Now that he has the power and army, he will not put THAT at risk. Count Dooku on the other hand, may have differing plans. I see him eventually wanting to overthrow Palpatine and proceed to set up his own seperatist government, which he probably feels will work better than both the Old Republic and the Empire of Palpatine. I could see Dooku and his seperatist betraying the Sith and attacking Kamino in an attempt to wrestle power into their favor. Take away the Emperor's army and he will fall! Palpatine won't be so easily defeated though, nor will the cloning facility be so open to attack. I don't think that, in the end, the seperatists' attack would succeed in the destruction of the cloning facility.

21. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Kamino will probably still be used to produce Stormtroopers.

22. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    Clones = Stormtroopers. Stormtroopers are seen on the Death Star...omigod! . . .
    Kamino IS the Death Star!!

23. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Some would say that Kamino will be all but destroyed {structures, not planet} in Episode III.

Well some would be wrong :p

Besides Kamino is where the Stormtroopers are manufactured. Plus the Separatists will have been defeated before we could ever see Kamino being damaged in any way. And even the Jedi don't have the resources to destroy the structures on the planet.

24. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I believe that Palaptine would be prepared for any contigency if it were to occur around his cloning facility!

25. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Kamino, I think, won't be mentioned again. There's no need. The only reason it exsists is to make clones. Once the Empire milks for the clones, Kamino will lose all important and just fade from the Star Wars saga.

Of course, they could destroy it. There is the possibility that Sidious will see it as a threat and destroy it. A clone producing world? It poses a threat if the Jedi are driven to desperation and want to clone themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.