main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The fates of Artoo, Threepio, Chewie, the Millennium Falcon?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, May 24, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Chewie and the Falcon should join Han in the afterlife.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And then they fly the Falcon out of the afterlife.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That would be awesome. Especially if the Afterlife is a giant alien creature that tries to eat them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Completely agree, killing off any of "these" is not necessary. Because, really, what purpose does it serve. What would be it's importance to the overall story. Han's death, whether people like it or not, had a context within the story. Luke's death, again many don't like it and there are many issues beyond this thread concerning this, but again there was a context for his death within the story. And I feel Leia's, whilst forced upon LFL, will be the same too.

Not every character needs to fall on Kylo's lightsabre to reinforce the fact that Disney now owns the Star Wars franchise and not George Lucas. I already understand this fact.

phatdude1138 and Whipstir like this.
  5. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Star Wars for kids in 77 is not the same as kids in 2017. That’s kind of where, because i saw it in 77, people lived in the culture during a period in which we viewed the films as characters. It wasn’t a story ( not yet )and so we focused on a character driven story of good and evil. The toys reinforced our personal world building and we went into the sequels with strong characters and a result of that trilogy there became a story of good and evil with a personal side story involving family. The prequels told a story and the characters were different but at this point it was more about story than character and with the novels came this underlying groundwork of what became known as canon/non canon- - an abstract behavior that didn’t exist at the time of the OT.
    Fast forward to the age of reason, intellect, on demand, perfect plots, connective storylines, mystery boxes and you have a very different group of fans. With even more entitled
    demand for perfect storylines.

But for us old folks it’s still a character driven story, despite the side canon stuff, and we expect within the context of OT, legacy characters being important to the storyline. I still watch for the characters not the over analyzed story line.

In the ST i felt the first story was a prologue to understand current events and han solo proved the old adage sometimes nothing changes and sometimes fairy tales end unfairly. At my age i understand this. I also understand Luke going from helping to not wanting to help...again another thing people my age understand. It’s happened to
    us or others we know in real life. I felt ,as characters i thought, they grew old just like i did. So their choices made sense to me.
    What i did kinda struggle is why bring a new toy in it? The droid seemed like a little too futuristic - bb8 is awesome and like him as a character but not to the point where the droids are sidelined. This is why i reverently hope R2/3pO and Chewie will be the saviors and heroes of the day and that the skywalkers, while maybe not present, contributed in a legendary sense peace to the galaxy once again.

war always returns. mankind proves it but that’s another story, another time.

6. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    You have articulated the thought really well. Couldn't agree more.

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm one who saw the original OT as a kid and agree with a lot what you say but that sentence kind of threw me. Reason? Intellect? Perfect plots? Nope, none of that is true of cinema (and the world) today.

Grilled Hutt and 11-4D like this.
  8. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    Good point, i should have clarified that it’s the expectation and entitlement of afforementioned things in modern films and i was really trying to say people were maybe expecting too much from some films/franchises. Sometimes a popcorn film is just a popcorn film, as an adult i want more but as a kid i wasn’t asking a whole lot. But expectations are a big part of people so that’s also understandable. Hope that clarifies that.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  9. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    The story did not necessitate that luke die. There was absolutely no reason to kill him off after the force projection. He shouldn’t have died from force usage. Kylo, rey, and snoke didn’t die from the very similar force Skyping sessions. That actually seemed like a more difficult feat, because snoke was controlling two different people in two different parts of the galaxy, and it didn’t affect him. Luke, from the very powerful skywalker family, shouldn’t have died from a few minutes of force projection.

In fact, it would have been better for the story if Luke would have lived. Rey still needed training. Luke was the only Jedi master. It would have been better if she would have gotten her force knowledge and skills through training with Luke than through downloading them from Kylo.

And @Grilled Hutt , I disagree with the idea that the way Luke behaved made sense pretty much because “that’s the way it is with older people”. Luke was supposed to be 53 in TLJ. That is not ancient. Most people that I know in their 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s have NOT given up on life. They don’t just become irresponsible and refuse to do what needs to be done or be helpful to others. In fact, most people that I know in those age groups are MORE willing to help others and to accept responsibilities and duties. They are NOT useless, and most of them aren’t grumpy and bitter either.

And I agree that there is no reason to kill off the droids or Chewie or anyone else from the OT in episode ix.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    jedi-soon and 11-4D like this.
  10. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    But notice how your response is more tied to the story and it’s logistics as opposed to the character. As a character i understand the motivations, as a story it’s a space opera ..i didn’t say it was right or wrong; just that I understood - i don’t look too deeply into that side of it.

His death wasn’t what i took from it, his sacrifice is. He won a battle without any weapons. As for who should or could die from force usage or non usage isn’t something written in stone. Why the force is stronger in some than others has to do with the force not a legacy or heir or study or storylines because that’s how the force is to me as a character. If anything we learn more about the force as each movie came out and i don’t really disagree with any of its “choices” as it’s not my place - i’m neither writer or director. The assumption that skywalker is all powerful is not a fact in anything other than publications no longer considered canon - i was ok with that characterization when it happened and i’m fine with this newer canon and look forward to where they go with it. Maybe it’s a glass half full half empty thing but yeah it’s just my opinion man.

11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Remember the quote from RotJ? “ The Force is strong in my family”.

And even if Luke had been an average force user, I don’t think that a few minutes of force usage should have killed him. Snoke didn’t even break a sweat from performing a feat multiple times that seemed more impressive than what Luke did.

Luke’s “sacrifice” was for nothing. He didn’t really accomplish anything except get himself killed. It was rey who really saved the resistance survivors. luke died a complete failure in every way, and I don’t think that iconic character should have been disrespected that way.

And I’m not a guy. ;)

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is a thread about Artoo, 3PO, and Chewie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  13. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    Well I mean there’s like all that time until
    then...i’d just as soon as reserve my judgement until they fill the gaps in at some point. Until then we have the strange inside knowledge how they die someday. I suppose it is not too different watching 123 and knowing how ObiWan was going to die. Or Yoda. Or Boba Fett. I’m just not sure Luke gets any special favors just because it’s strong in his family. There’s no specific criteria listing his abilities yet in canon.

It’s not the whole story / these latest films.

the “ just my opinion man” was a poor imitation of jeff bridges in Big Lebowski ...not gender specific but meant in good jest.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've never seen that reference get so muddled. =D=

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  16. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    3PO's actor seemed rather giddy about the production.

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Is it written in his contract to appear in every Star Wars movie? Or is that just like an ongoing thing that is being honored but doesn't need to be? I'd love to see his reaction when they finally tell him he's not in this one, when that does finally happen. I'm sure Simon Pegg would gladly take over the role of C3PO.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This isn't Pirates of the Carribean 3 ;)

JohnJonBinks and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    R2 & 3PO I think will be fine and survive the ST. I'd like them to get something more to do in IX, but I would be disappointed if they were destroyed.

Chewie - I really want him to go off with Lando in the Falcon at the end, old buddies off on new adventures. Realistically I think he'll stay with Leia and whatever forms out of the Resistance when the First Order is defeated.

The Falcon - If they go down the route of Ben being redeemed and dying in an act of self sacrifice, I could see him going out with the Falcon. More likely it will remain with Leia/Chewie & the Resistance.

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    No matter what, R2 will survive. Star Wars is a story told to us by R2.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    R2 could settle on Ach-to. I think he would want to be with the ghost of Luke. They seem so tied together.
    He may power down, perhaps to be found again when X happens someday, or he may potter about with the fish nuns.

3PO... he is attached to Leia now. So I'd like to know her fate. But maybe he follows R2.

Maybe he makes the Big Sacrifice of the movie. Pulls the lever that blows up the Thing.
    A final grand act of nobility would be sad, but nice in a way.

Chewie... My wish (said before) is that he takes the Falcon back to Kashyyyk. He lands, steps out to the hugs of his family, and the final scene of the Saga is the lights of the Falcon clicking off. Story over.

SKYGUY23 likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I also think R2 will survive. I could see a little kid befriending him at the end of the movie which will lead to speculation that that the kid will grow up to be the next hero.

SKYGUY23 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  23. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    I think they will all survive. Joonas was there on the final day with Daisy and Adam, and so was R2's actor. He said it started with R2 and is fitting to end with him.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I also think they will all survive and that Chewie will be given the Falcon. At least that is who I think should have it.

25. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    I think that Threepio and Artoo are kind of relics in the ST. I would like to see them have a last moment of heroism and go down in a blaze of glory, like go down with a FO ship they sabotaged and burn up in the atmosphere after they say poignant goodbyes to each other.