main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Feedback Junkies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Aeron_Azzameen1839, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, for a bit of some background for me, there's a thread I made yesterday that can be read here. In that thread, I mention 3 fanfics I've written that no one's replied to, pretty much. Take your pick. :D
    I think no one's replied to 'em because they kinda "go against the grain" of what's currently at the Fan Fiction Stories forum; everyone's writing torture/angst/romance stories about Jedi Academy, prequel-era Jedi, or NJO-era Jedi. I write OT old-school action stuff, Rebel Alliance style (which is why I'm *loving* 'Star Wars NJO: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream' right now). I dunno if that topic of fanfic ever *was* popular, but it was popular enough to make the original SW films a lot of money and make the X-wing series a best-selling series, and I guess it's not popular now. :D

2. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Here's a toast, to all those, who hear me all too well...

Here's to the fics we want to write
    Here's to the boards where they took flight
    Here's to replies we want, but aren't comin' soon...

Yyyyep. One that I'm working on is "Need for Speed" (link is in my profile), a semi-AU that assumes the latter part of the NJO isn't happening. Count yourselves lucky if you got a half-dozen replies after the first post, but I've only gotten that many in TWO PAGES' worth of posts. All my efforts for a catchy title and a summary that hopefully will get people's interest...It's like the world is determined to ignore every best effort I make. It happens in real life as well as this life. Sigh.

3. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Hear hear. ::raises a pint of oil in response to the toast:: I second that. I know how it feels, unfortunately.

4. Aeron_Azzameen1839

Aeron_Azzameen1839 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Hey, what's all this about the feedback junkies?

5. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Feedback junkies? We wanna know how we're doing! We wanna know if it's worthwhile or if we're just wasting board space! That's apparently what I was doing. I threw in the towel and locked my current fanfic last night cos it was generating almost no interest at all.

6. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Eh, I promised myself to not give up. I linked to my fanfics in my profile, and I'll leave 'em unlocked. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will dig 'em up from the depths of time or something.

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Sebulba2179!!!! thats called giving up. i keep on writing fics even though not many people read them. for example, i started another story that only ONE person replys to, so even if only one person is reading it i still post. remember do or do not there is no try. now Sebulba2179
    unlock that story, it is NOT going down because i won't let it or ANY GOOD story go down the drain.
    now write even if one person responds!!!

8. Aeron_Azzameen1839

Aeron_Azzameen1839 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Hey, I give up on stories all the time. Mostly because my friend reads it,gets herself in a fit of laughter, then says,"what a stupid story!" Boom. That's where it ends. Sometimes even I don't like the stories I write. I think. ?[face_plain] I'll have to think about that.

9. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm not giving up, I'm just being realistic. Only one person's even shown a glimmer of interest in it, so I PMed the rest to him. And surprise, surprise, nobody's PMed me in protest, which can mean only that

NOBODY
    WAS
    INTERESTED.

I've had to learn how to live with a lot of crap in the last few years, and this just happens to be some of it.

10. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well... perhaps other people were *reading*, but not responding? I know I'll read a fanfic, but not post any sort of response. Yeah, kinda makes me a hypocrite in light of this thread's topic... but I try to only respond to fanfics I like (no offense to people)

11. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    A word of encouragement to you guys:

I'm a new writer here, but I seem to have a sizable group of regular readers, and they seem to think of me as a decent writer, so perhaps I can lend some encouragement.

You know how I got them? I went into profiles of other A/A and PT writers I liked, and talked to them on AIM. I went and posted on a fic thread and got a spirited debate going, which made a couple people interested in what I was writing. I wasn't afraid to ask for betas-you'd be surprised sometimes, people are usually quite nice and willing to help.

The other thing I think that helps is to act like you have confidence (albeit, justified confidence-be honest with yourself) about your writing ability. Don't say "I think this story sucks, but..." If you really do think it sucks, then don't post it!

Sebulba: I've read your fic, and you do the kind of story you do very well. If only I were more into the NJO...heheh. Don't be dependent upon feedback-if you have a great story, then it should be written.

Just my humble thoughts,
    -Tim

12. Angel_Skywalker

Angel_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2002
    Everybody wants replys, especially positiv ones, my first reply in my first fic said, that my grammar is awful, my spelling is tataly wrong and my writing style is too bowring!!
    But I didn´t stop writing and now I´ve two fics, one with lots of readers, the other with some!!!
    I´ve learned, DON`T GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!
    Sebulba2179, sometimes you have to wait for readers and one reader should be a reason to continue!!!

Angel_Skywalker

13. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I wouldn't have given up either, except that I've been ignored my entire life, and as a result I've learned when to stop wasting my time.

14. Angel_Skywalker

Feb 10, 2002
    Writing a starwars fic, you never waste your time, especially if you have at least one reader!!!

Angel_Skywalker

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, I mean, if you like writing fanfics, keep doing it. It should bring you enjoyment, not anguish.

16. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Sebulba: I've read your fic, and you do the kind of story you do very well.

That must be where I run into problems, though. Everybody likes mush, angst and Obi-Wan these days (often all three), and nobody has time for my kind of story, which is good hard sci-fi action/adventure.

17. Angel_Skywalker

Feb 10, 2002
    Don´t worry, times changes it can´t turn worse, right!!!

See it this way, your faster than the rest of us ;) :p !!!

Angel_Skywalker

18. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    This is exactly me. I feel your cosmic pain. I only have 2 readers that cared and care to post on my story threads.

I'm quite disheartened.

The links are on my profile - no I'm not shamelessly plugging myself! [face_mischief]

19. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Wow! Hey all, over the last two weeks I've picked up about four new readers on Legacy!!! I'm so happy! I think part of it is just persistence-- yesterday was teh six-month anniversary of it. 313 pages in Word, double spaced, and not finished yet. I'm very proud of it. :)

20. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Better to write for yourself and have no audience than to write for your audience and have no self.

Good advice. I wish I could remember who said it.

21. Angel_Skywalker

Feb 10, 2002
    The advice is really interesting and totaly correct!!!

But having no readers you´re nevertheless disappointed :( !!!

And the only way to deal with them is writing, waiting and writing :p !!!!!

Angel_Skywalker

22. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    "Everybody wants replys, especially positiv ones, my first reply in my first fic said, that my grammar is awful, my spelling is tataly wrong and my writing style is too bowring!!"

Angel, I read the review that said this, and I don't think he meant to say your writing style was boring. He was just telling you that boring is spelled without a 'w'. There's one less thing you have to worry about! 8-}

*SB*

23. Angel_Skywalker

Feb 10, 2002
    Thanks StarBlazer, I feel better now ;) !!!

Angel_Skywalker

24. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Definitely count me in on this one. I thought I had what was a really good idea
    for a fic, and started posting it (see my sig line) but lately it feels like I've only
    been posting for myself, and I pretty much gave up on it :confused:

25. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Don't give up, Klimt. Like I said, Legacy suddenly has readers now . . . after six months of writing and over 300 pages on Word! All it takes is perseverance and a good beta. :)

If your writing is worth reading, then peple will read! Just keep trying, keep getting better, and most of all, don't give up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.