main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Fields of Elysia - (Qui/Obi, OCs, JA) - *9th Update - 23/9*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ithesock, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    [face_dancing] WooHoo, an update. [face_dancing]

Great update, but oh cliffies are just evil. [face_devil]

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I'm so glad to see you updated this :)

3. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hmmm... [face_thinking] [face_idea]

Methinks this is in need of an up so that it doesn't get lost. :D

4. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Ooh, I can't believe I missed this! I love the conversation between brother and sister. Interesting that they have such different reactions. I think it is also interesting how they seem to know so little about Qui-Gon and Jedi, but I guess if their parents didn't want to talk they wouldn't hear much and Jedi don't really concern them.

Ah, so Qui went to do some investigating. I wonder how much he'll find out? [face_thinking]

I hope there'll be more soon!

5. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    More, pleeeeese? Just stumbled across this, and I need more!

6. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    This needs an up for the holidays. :D

7. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Is there any chance of an update soon?

8. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Up Up up up up up up up up up please Princess!

9. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, I'm trying to do something, here - my muse is working, but my brain isn't functioning right - or something like that. I'm trying to write the story in short pieces for a while, which means I'll be updating as much as I can. This post is a short one, bear with me, please. :)

Meanwhile, thanks for all the wonderful ups. Love ya. [:D]

Part VIII - 1

Obi-Wan looked down at his plate, trying to assimilate the yellow and brown lump, a sprig of green twigs and a fragrant bowl of something red and gold. All were, he guessed, Naboo delicacies and probably Amri-Lon?s favourites?as the meal had been for him in the first place, and which the farmer had now relinquished to the young Jedi. He knew what was required of him, and at other, hostile situations, had actually managed to make the best of it, for who knew when a Jedi would have to go without food? Qui-Gon had taught him to accept refreshment wherever they could.

He picked up a dainty spoon, made of some sturdy, yet fashionable metal ? selveire, he guessed. It was currently the rage among elite; practically every ball and social gathering sparkled with antique selveire-ware. It was surprising to see it among the household cutlery of the Jinns, especially at a mid-day meal, but perhaps this was some relic, an heirloom lovingly handed down from one generation of the Jinns to another, produced during special occasions?

Amri-Lon and Sarta were talking to each other, and trying very hard, he could see, not to pin too much of their attention on him. Their eyes darted to him again and again, flicking over his hair, his eyes?he felt the distinct prickly feeling he had fine-tuned within himself, that alerted him to the slightest scrutiny. The air fairly buzzed with their questions, thoughts, speculations?and a curious, jumbled mixture of excitement and eagerness.

He had been in the act of swallowing some of the fragrant soup, and put down the spoon slowly. Amri-Lon?s eyes flickered to him at once, as though glad of an excuse to look fully at him.

?Isn?t it good?? he asked anxiously. ?Don?t you?don?t you eat soup, Master Jedi??

He felt himself jerk his head slightly, half amused. It seemed a little too much to be addressed this way by a man he had good reason to think of as?he wished he could bend his mind to think of as?Qui-Gon?s father. Sarta was a little more composed, her hands laced underneath the table.

?We do,? he smiled with some effort, idly wondering what an everyday citizen of Naboo knew about Jedi. ?The soup is excellent,? he spoke quietly. ?But I should like to wait until my Master returns. And I?m only a padawan.? He saw Amri-Lon look enquiring, and had the satisfaction of watching his face clear almost at once. ?Please address me by my name.? He didn?t quite know why he was so formal, but it felt safer, for want of a better word.

?Oh.? There was a pause. ?But you must be hungry,? Amri-Lon protested. Obi-Wan could almost see the words ?growing lad? running through his mind. ?It must have been hours since you had first meal.?
    It seemed rather pointless, somehow, to tell the farmer that they hadn?t had morning meal at all, instead having spent the day in frazzled meetings in the Royal Palace. Not that their hosts had been remiss in their hospitality, but Qui-Gon had decided on one of their morning meditations on the Living Force, and they had come to a tacit understanding about having mid-day meal at an earlier hour, to compensate.

Now, of course, those plans were non-existent.

He sent another absent tendril questing towards Qui-Gon?s presence in his mind, and pursed his lips. His master?s end was still blocked. He felt trapped, as though inside a sealed vacuum chamber, with the air running out.

Out, his mind whispered breathlessly. I have to go out.

He got up swiftly, aware of Amri-Lon?s startled gaze and Sarta?s puzzlement.

?If you will excuse me,? he said politely. ?Where is the refresher?? It would be much too impolite for both him and his Master to suddenly deci

10. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    First reply!

Lovely update...Obi-Wan's so sweet... :p

11. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    A post! Huzzah! [face_dancing]

Is Obi-Wan going to encounter Qui-Gon's siblings outside? He's not going to get much relief if he does. :D

12. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Oh, Master that was lovely! Simply devine.

Obi-Wan's emotions came across so clear and clean that it's very hard not to empathize with him!

Oh, and how badly Qui's father wants to impress his... umm.... Grandson by association?

At any rate, more soon please!

Ever your paddy,
    Seven

13. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    That made me very happy. *grins* If I haven't told you that I love your Padawan!Obi-Wan more than I do anyone else's, then I should have long ago. I also love Sarta's perceptiveness, and Amri-Lon's almost-diffidence. And I certainly couldn't tell from your writing that you've been having trouble. I can't wait for more.

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    He thought the Jedi didn't use indoor freshers...LOL. He's very confused. I liked that Obi-Wan was trying very hard to be polite and not hurt anyone's feelings but his need to get out was quite understandable!

Good job. What's Qui-Gon been doing?

15. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Really long bathroom break... :p

So, nobody'll be embarassed if I give this an up, right? :D

16. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm on a roll here... :D Up!

17. BrightFeather

Nov 13, 2005
    Update? Please?

18. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    A/N: Resurrecting long-forgotten stories. Again, apologies for the delay. Do forgive? [face_plead]

Part IX

He saw them standing side by side, against the wall of the building. It was obvious that they were siblings: they were not really alike in colouring, but Obi-Wan now had the advantage of knowledge. He could see the lines of the nose and the curve of ears. The eyes and the hair. They were certainly as unalike as could be ... but genes did count for a lot. They stood close to each other, almost as though they were barricading themselves against a possible onslaught. The woman's fingers gripped each other tight, while the man was leaning against the wall, seemingly casual, but with an arm around her shoulders.

He was careful not to gaze at them openly, although the temptation to do so was irresistible. Now that he knew who they were ... and there was no doubt in him that they were his master's siblings. He felt some surprise at the way his mind had accepted it. Perhaps it was do with the way the Force moved around them. It seemed a tangible presence - moving and swirling around them all, now touching one, then the other. The more he felt the movements of the Force, the more correct it all seemed. The Force showed him more about them, than could be seen by the naked eye.

He walked along the grassy surface, aware of their gaze on him, knowing that they had probably been discussing him as they watched his back, knowing that it couldn't really have been a cheerful discussion. There was always the possibility that it couldn't have ... but it seemed right to him, somehow, that they shouldn't be very pleased. Why was the feeling so strong in him? He cast his mind back to the first meeting with the woman, unconsciously falling back on his Jedi training, sorting out the memories, the emotions, and bringing back the feel of the room as it had been. As his master had taught him.

And knew the reason at once. The woman's eyes. They had given her away. That was the reason for his discomfort.

Resolutely, he pushed back the unease that surged up within.

What puzzled him was the why of it. Why this? Why now? What was to be gained by this? By bringing them face to face with bonds and ties a Jedi was better off not knowing? To Qui-Gon, of all people. Qui-Gon Jinn, who advocated his apprentice to 'feel, not think.' Who lived in the moment, relished and immersed himself within it. As he had once done with another. With Tahl.

Tahl.

He stopped abruptly, right in the middle of the sunny wheit field. Vaguely, his mind registered that there was no sign of a refresher here. There couldn't be, unless one of those ramshackle buildings to his far right was a refresher. Why had the woman said that the refresher was outside? Had she been flustered and nervous? He had sensed amazement and surprise, but no nervousness. A remarkably strong woman, that one. Had she known that he simply wanted to walk out? Walk out and then stand right in the middle of a wheit field, rigid with memories of what happened to Qui-Gon and Tahl.

There. There it was, whatever had been niggling in the back of his mind. The little thought, growing and growing, that had finally thrown him out of the house.

It was as though he was suddenly surrounded by a bubble of vacuum; the air had been sucked away. His lungs were not working. His heart felt as though it had lodged itself in his throat, and he felt the edges of his vision swim. Startled, he shook himself. It had been years since he had felt such a strong reaction. He hadn't allowed himself to feel such things in a very long time. Except on hard missions, when it seemed as though everything was going to end in a disaster ...

Breathe, he told himself. Breathe, you fool. Fool, that you think of this meeting a disaster. That Qui-Gon Jinn, famed Jedi Master would ever let his feelings grow too much, let his affection for his birth family, destroy everything he felt for the Order. A family that he had not seen for decades. That he had never known. He would not. Not aft

19. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Oh m'gosh - a post! :eek: AND I get the first reply! [face_dancing] All is forgiven, ithesock, as always. :)

Looks like that bathroom break didn't relieve anyone, did it? :p

Poor Obi-Wan...all his insecurities back in a flash. Thank goodness for Kasche. Hero worship does a lot for the ego. ;)

Jesetta, Jesetta...must you complicate things unduly? <sigh> I guess she'll learn eventually - probably more than she wants to know about the Jedi in general and Qui-Gon in particular.

Good job, Darth_Cliffie! =D= The next post should see some action, hmmm?

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan. Will he always think that he comes last with Qui-Gon? Just because Qui-Gon takes care of other life forms doesn't mean that Obi-Wan is pushed to the side. Rather it means that Qui-Gon is sure in his affections and regard, enough to not have to think about it when he deals with everyone else.

At least, Obi-Wan has an audience and rather hero-worshiping at that. Good job.

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, poor Obi-Wan! [:D]

With another Master, the question would not even arise. No Jedi, no matter how much the temptation, would choose ties that bound. Even if he were to be tempted, it would remain just that - a temptation. Or at least, there would be the hope that the Jedi would not yield. But Qui-Gon ...

Qui-Gon would. He would always veer towards affection and love. They would always matter. And he would be right. A Jedi must always follow his heart, if that was what he chose. In that Qui-Gon had never faltered. The Force showed him things it would never show others. He listened to something, words that would never fall on the ears of a lesser being like him. Qui-Gon Jinn was wise, compassionate, and with a great capacity to love. And with an extraordinary affinity to listen to the Living Force.

If he decided that his family deserved a place within himself, then he would grant them that. It would not matter that he had an apprentice to train. Obi-Wan Kenobi would once again be relegated to the position of that-which-must-be-endured. As he had always been.

He knows his Master well, but I think he underestimates the strength of the bond Qui-Gon has with HIM!

Lovely update! So glad to see this one active again! =D=

22. BrightFeather

Nov 13, 2005
    Hm. If that's what a bit of nagging gets me, I should nag more often! :D Not sure I have a high opinion of Qui's sister at this point. I mean, does she really think that a Jedi would purposely harm an innocent child? And poor Obi!

Bright

23. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    I love this story. The lond lost son returns, the anger and perhaps jelousy of the siblings, nosy social climbing neighbors, the insecurities - they all make a wonderful bubbling brew.

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh Obi-Wan. :(

The heart could stand a great many things; even the heart of a Jedi. But not neglect. Never that. He had craved some semblance of acceptance so desperately. He had been willing to grind his own self into the dust for it. And wasn't that what the highest Jedi principles advocated? The absence of self? If so, he had certainly placed everything he was, at Qui-Gon's feet.

What a universal truth that is. But Obi-Wan is seeing things from a potentially destructive point of view, thinking it's 'Jedi' to sacrifice everything of himself for Qui-Gon. That really made my heart ache, reading that post. A graceful, realistic handling of Obi-Wan's emotions and his attempts to control them. =D= Your posts are always worth the wait. :)

25. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Gotta get this one up and running...

Well, up anyway. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.