main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fifth Element

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Cobranaconda, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    After being unable to come up with a witty title, I just used the name of the film. The Fifth Element, in my opinion, was the best Sci-Fi film of the nineties. Combining French art film stylings and a furiously paced plot, plus a cast that features stars from the world over, this had the makings of a great film from the beginning. Add to that the score by Eric Serra, one which I think is possibly the best score of the past 50 years, surpassing even all of John Williams' work, and it all adds up into one huge rollercoaster of a film, and practically got Sci-Fi working again, along with the other Sci-Fi films that were released the same year, such as Men in Black and Alien Ressurection.

Also, the CGI Manhatten was supposedly used as a basis when creating Coruscant for The Phantom Menace.

So, any fans of this highly artistic French/American action movie, discuss :p

2. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    The biggest reason why this film is cool:

[image=http://glaurung.mordor.ch/milla/Fifth_09.jpg]

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    This movie was pretty cool. The alien bad guys were lame and so were there weapons. But the main bad guy with the limp and the wierd black hair had an awesome gun. The one with the two thousand round clip and the red button on the bottom. I could use one of those...

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Leeloominai Lekatariba Laminatcha Ekbat D Sabat.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I love this film. One on the list of films I can watch with regularity and never get tired of it.

Although it actually took me until just a few weeks ago (so 8 years of watching it every few months or so) until I realized that it was supposed to imply the origin of our moon, seeing as how the new dead planet became a second moon.

M. Scott

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dorkman I had not even thought of that. Good call, I like it.

This flick fooled me. All I saw of it was the teaser trailer and maybe one commercial, both of which had an ominous look to them. Then I go in the theatre and it's essentially a comedy. It has everything:

Future metropolis.
    Air speeders.
    Religion.
    Space travel.
    A hot Supreme Being.
    Who doesn't mind being naked.
    A love story.
    Mangalors.
    The Jamaican guy who refueled the ship(I need some heat man!)
    A black President.
    Lot's of fun.

I love it.

7. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I just watched this film last night on DVD. It is an amazing film that manages to have wide appeal without being generic, to have humor without being corny, and to be an actioneer without being dumb. It easilly ranks as one of my all-time favorites.

Not to mention Gary Oldman just plain rocks this movie.

8. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002

Combined to fix.

PS: Gimme the cashhhhhh!

9. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    :D Heh, look who's in this thread ;)

I like this movie a lot, too. Proto-Corustantian city (including falls from great heights through traffic, of course ;)) plus funk and saving the world, plus backstory (Azziz, light!!) and Sci-fi. Oooh, yeah. Oh, and the humor, that's a biggie. Can't take yourself too seriously, and this film doesn't stop to do that. It's just pure fun.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    This movie was green.

Supergreen!

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    MULTI PASS!

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Does anyone else feel that there was a sequence missing from the movie ?

Specifically after the opera sequence when Dallas (Willis) gets the four elements - to the point where he emerges from the theatre?

Inside he's smartly dressed, but there are a load of alien-types to deal with - then immediately after that he leaves the threatre, with ripped shirt and covered in blood. I always wanted to see that sequence as it would have been high action.

Was it cut, or just never filmed, leaving the viewer to imagine what happened (which is key to many of Besson's movies.

13. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm putting my money on the 'leave it to their imagination' side.

14. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    i agree with the leave it to the imagination. anyway,. Fifth Element was Great. Alot better than I thouhght it was gouing to be.

15. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    a definite classic! c
    obra, you raving about the score makes me want to watch it again and pay attention to the music.. i don't really recall the music too much, but i has been awhile since i seen it..

16. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I love this movie.

[face_plain]

17. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I really liked the movie, but every time I watch the movie I find myself thinking, "How did they get Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman?" To me, it feels like a good B-movie, but still a B-movie.

18. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Great film, I love the quirkyness of it all. And yeah, an excellent soundtrack, I just had to get the CD of it, a great mix of more traditional soundtrack stuff mixed in with some electronic ambient music and a bit of reggae chucked in too. And Lee Evans is in it! :D

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe it's just a matter of having different expectations, but I was massively dissapointed by this movie- I went in expecting a serious, kick-ass sci-fi flick, and instead got a cartoon trying to rip off the message of The Abyss: SE.

It has so many concepts, ideas, cast and elements going for it that gave it such potential to be a classic film, but the supercamp/sitcom approach they took just ruined the whole thing.

And damn was Chris Tucker freaking annoying in that movie.

Still, some good action that, combined with the "enjoy it because it's so bad" aspect of things and it's watchable. Plus the opera scene was well done, but the film as a whole is one of the big "couldabeen" films of the 90's had they siezed upon it's potential.

20. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    yeah, a good flick.

should have named the thread Korbin Dallas Multipass.

I thought the aliens at the start were goofy. The walking eggs. I liked used CGI for story telling and not for flashy effects. Love this flick

dkt

21. PICTURETHIS

PICTURETHIS Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    There ARE many enjoyable moments and intriguing visuals and characters, but ultimately, it doesn't really resonate with me. There was so much potential in this idea, but too many nonsensical ideas being introduced, e.g., the golden turtles in the opening scene. I didn't care if actor Luke Perry was in this because this is a Luc Beson film, however, those armored 'turtles' waddling in line formation just gave me doubts about film and unfortunately for me, they weren't promissing, it was guaranteed. Next, as I've said before, there are many breathtaking scenes and really wonderful visuals, but those odd ideas kept showing up, for example, the fight scene between Leelo(?) and the alien assasins. I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I WAS SEEING. Instead of being a highlight or an additional plus, it turns comical. WTH? It just didn't register with me. What's worse, it wasn't even funny. Now, Christ Tucker, got mad love and respect for him but WTF? It was very jarring to suddenly feel like the rug's been pulled out from under me and the tone of the film felt off. That's just my honest feelings on it. After discovering La Femme Nikita and really enjoying that and then being very impressed with Leon, I was really giddy with excitement to hear L.Besson delving into sci-fi and the fact that it is based off his own work when he was 16! Cool. Unfortunately, he should have made some reconsiderations and some forgiveable compromises. But, I wish him well and hope he has something he will soon share with the world, again.

22. darth-volta

darth-volta Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2003
    hi....i'm here just to say that this film is an exact copy from a comic made by moebius and jodorowsky named "el incal"

el incal is the best sci-fi comic ever.

period.

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really enjoyed this film - very original and weird.

24. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Its a good film :)

25. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I think if more people thought of the Fifth Element like they would with Star Wars, there wouldn't be half as many arguments...just a theory.

The movie was fantastic, I loved it in the theatre and I still love it when it plays on TBS sometimes lol.

"This case is empty, the opposite of full!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.