main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The First Advisory Council Weekly Update (March 4-14)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tellesto, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Star Wars fans, geeks and fanboys extraordinary of all ages, gather round, for you?re about to hear an amazing story.
    This is no ordinary member update on the progress of an institution within the Jedi Council though, no sir, this is an amazing tale of men, women and moderators gathering about to discuss issues and problematic situations in relation with the regular user population of the Jay Cee.

First off, you might be asking yourself, ?why should I care about the Advisory Council, much less waste my precious time reading about its weekly update when I could be hocking a few laughs off the recent exploits in Community?? Well sir, or madam, it?s certainly your choice as to what you decide to do with your time, but I urge you reading members to stick around, because tonight, I promise to put on a good show.

You want to have a word on the Jedi Council do you not? And in a similar state, you also are concerned about this new Advisory Council and what it means about you as the humble member and what will happen to your beloved message board from it?s actions?
    You will soon know, and you will also have many of those important questions answered and more in the very first weekly update of the Advisory Council.

Getting Started:

It was a bright and sunny day in the world the day I was asked to be an Advisory Council member.
    The birds where singing, the air was warm and temperate, children where outside laughing and playing, and I was inside on the computer reading the current issues in Communications.

You see I was currently engaged in a bit of a debate, a political war of sorts in Communications, and it was a thread that I meant to see give the administration a licking. Lord Bane and other moderators had announced that the Jedi Council Community was in a perilous state, and he claimed that the administration couldn?t tolerate the work anymore.
    I was never one to enjoy the line of thought that an admin was working when he or she was administrating on the Jedi Council, or that their job was without perks. They have the fancy colors, they get to post in the private forum and they get access to exclusive and different icons from the average members.

By all rights ladies and gentlemen, the administration is in my opinion a group of complaining elitists.
    Other members and myself where heatedly locked in pounding out posts and replies to ?The Future of your Jedi Council Community? thread, never once stopping to think about the consequences of what we were saying.

Of course, we all had our opinions?

?First solution, make it a limit of three socks for any user. Let a user decide which one(s) to keep, and ban the rest.

Second solution. Do something about those silly 'social threads'. Do we really need a bar brawl and a JCC Prom and a sanctuary etc etc etc. Let people discuss certain topics, not fill up threads with worthless spam.?

-Darth_Dagsy

?To be clear (and fair), LB said Internet_Drama and socks like it are a problem. Obviously, you can't blame the state of an entire forum on one sock.?

-Spiderdevil

But when you come right down to it, we had taken off the kid gloves and decided to throw a few punches at the mods for even bothering to complain about a job they had taken on willingly.

?Here's a solution that the administration won't like. Instead of complaining about the amount of work that it takes to maintain something that so many people use, that so many people enjoy quite a bit, why don't we just get admins who don't mind the work? Who are actually passionate about preserving the community we have instead of trying to change it constantly?

You guys complain and moan about doing what you volunteered to do! If you have such a problem with the way things are, let someone who may enjoy it take over. I can think of plenty of responsible users who could do a credible job, many of whom have posted in this thread previously.

I don't think stricter rules or tougher enforceme

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh, and I gave Spiderdevil the muther of all Atomic Wedgies

EDIT: Also, these will be weekly updates from now on....we do realise that 4-14 March is not one week.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    That's some good dramatic wording there. Keep up the good work.

Oh yeah, and do good stuff on the AC too.

:D

¤Night

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well its a start, good to see some openess around here, no more of that attitude "if oyu don't like it go somewhere else, its a private message board, i can own slaves here if i wish" ;)

seriously though, do something about those permanent members, they really don't fit with the whole idea of a genuinely representative advisory council...make em mods if you have to;)

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    That's a good point, Humble e. If they are going to remain on there permanently, why not just make them mods? Essentally, that's what they are, minus the colors and direct access to the banning, locking, and editting buttons. ;)

6. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    Good job Tellesto!

However I agree with Humble, all members of the Advisory Council should be rotational. Something more along the lines in which the semi-permanent 3 could have terms of 6 months, while the others are 3 months.

It would prevent any cliques from forming within the Council and help towards assuring the general members certain Advisory members haven't become disenchanted with their jobs.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Tellesto,

Next time, can I just get the "Executive Summary" version. :D

Keep up the good work.

8. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Thanks for letting us know what's going on :) Keep up the good work

9. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Much thanks to you all for devoting your time to making this place better for all of us. It is appreciated.

10. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    At last no "You guys suck, the whole damned system sucks!" posts... Thanks guys for the kind words, they mean much.

11. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    BTW, guys, we are hoping that this update will give everyone an idea of what we are and what we do.
    Hopefully now everyone will feel more comfortable and confident in approaching us (even those that you might not know particularly well) if you have problems that you want discussed.

12. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    And it's a little long and without order because I felt that it would be better to write a whole little "log" out rather then just list stuff like this:

-Discussed new forum for E3
    -Discussed plans to turn Jedi Council into worldwide house of Lucas
    -Discussed plans to upload new icons

Expect me to throw some emotions into these things folks, but whoever takes my spot after I leave will probably add their own style to the update.

13. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    I enjoyed the way you presented the log. You spoke to us as fellow friends and members. :)

14. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Nice presentation structure, Tel! :) I enjoyed the way it was more detailed than we had expected and was more indepth :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Cinca

Cinca Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I think a sock should be nominated to be on the council. We need proper representation.

16. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    was there any discussion about my application for a grant to produce a work of modern dance to commemorate the upcoming 4th Year Anniversay of Foundation?
    An artist like myself can only go so far without bread you know, and ballet shoes don't pay for themselves

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    They've decided that you need to send us more etchings. We need to get a firm and quasi-noble grasp on the decisivness of your dance number.

18. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    We wouldnt be doing our job if there wasnt discussion of the grant. But do you think you are the only one to apply? We have tonnes of audition videos to go through.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Nice, well-written summary Tellesto. I like the idea of the council and it seems to be helping as intended.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sapient...
    "I like the idea of the council and it seems to be helping as intended."

Is that opposed to say "helping in ways we never intended" or "not helping, just as intended ;) :D "

21. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Good job. Alittle long but an informative report nonetheless :p ;)

22. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    None of that stuff really happened. We've actually just been in heated arguments with the moderation over which was better "Cannonball Run" or "Cannonball Run 2".

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    And it's obviously Cannonball Run. Can't beat the original.

24. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Tellesto and rhetoric
    Tellesto and rhetoric
    Go together like a horse and carriage.

:p

25. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    No, Cannonball Run 2 has Tony Danza and an ape driving a car! How can any movie possibly be better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.