main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The First Baseball Draft Game

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 29, 2018.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    inty can i drop john wetteland or bury him under concrete before this game

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I attribute my second half success to dropping Octavio Dotel so I feel your pain heels.

heels1785 , DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I attribute my second half success to dropping...

[​IMG]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Only if you resign Phil Neikro

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Are the starting pitcher rest days out the window with the playoffs? Also, are we going to be submitting one game at a time? (sorry if you've already answered these at some point)

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Starting pitchers still need three days rest at minimum. with the built-in travel days after Games 2 and 5, that means that a starting pitcher could, in theory, pitch game 1, game 4, and game 7.

I'll be simming one game at a time, so you can adjust lineup and rotation with each game

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I meant more like if it's game 7 could the game 5 or 6 starter be used in relief like we see IRL?

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That's really up to how drunk the sim gets

Point Given and cubman987 like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i laughed

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I just want everyone to know I hate you all and everything about everything.

Also, I fell prey to looking ahead and had set my rotation up nicely for the playoffs, failing to consider I might get swept and have to deal with chaos.

Anyway.

@heels1785

Pedro Martinez starting.

Lineup:

Joe Morgan, 2B
    Mike Trout, CF
    Ty Cobb, LF
    Albert Pujols, 1B
    Shoeless Joe Jackson, RF
    Alex Rodriguez, SS
    Yogi Berra, C
    Ron Santo, 3B

Amazing.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i feel no pity, b

1. CF - Rickey Henderson (Oakland, 1990)
    2. 2B - Jackie Robinson (Dodgers, 1949)
    3. RF - Barry Bonds (Pirates, 1990)
    4. LF - Ted Williams (Boston, 1941)
    5. 1B - Rod Carew (Twins, 1977)
    6. 3B - George Brett (Royals, 1980)
    7. SS - Cal Ripken, Jr. (Orioles, 1991)
    8. C - Mike Piazza (Mets, 2000)

Point Given and cubman987 like this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Thursday Intytober 24th

It's a beautiful day for baseball in Queens. Slightly overcast, and 65 degrees for our 1:05 start time.

Let's go to our booth team and get some insight before the game starts:

Joe Buck: Well. This is a baseball game.

Alex Rodriguez: The key to Amazings winning is me. That's really what it comes down to.

Peter Gammons: The unfortunate thing here is the rotation for Every City. Christy Mathewson was fantastic and phenomenal all season. But, he pitched on Monday, and is unavailable to start today in either game, should Every City beat Amazings in the first tie breaker game. He might be available to come out of the pen, but that's about it. And for both teams, playing two games today means two top starters will be unavailable for the first two games of this series in Seattle, should the winner of this game defeat the New York Highlanders tonight. I think the team that wins this game is the team that goes to their bullpen last. That gives a big edge to Amazings, with Pedro Martinez starting. I think he can go the distance and get a complete game, but I'd be shocked if John Smoltz lasts longer than 7 innings. It's important to not get to the bullpen early anyways, with the winner of this game getting on a bus and going to Yankee stadium for tonight's game.

Tie Breaker Game 1 of 2
    Every City Bandwagoners at Amazings

Single Elimination
    National Anthem Sung by: Mariah Carey

Pedro Martinez was everything Amazings needed.

John Smoltz wasn't quite that for Every City.

Martinez took a no hitter into the fifth inning, Smotlz got chased in the second.

Martinez would end up pitching eight innings, allowing three runs on six hits, and striking out seven.

Smoltz would allow Amazings to bat around in the first inning, with Albert Pujols opening the scoring with a two-run single with the bases loaded. Shoeless Joe Jackson followed that up with a two-run double, and he scored on an Alex Rodriguez single, all before Smoltz recorded a single out.

Yogi Berra would finally record the first out for Amazings, but Ran Santo would triple and make it 6-0, before Smoltz got the next two batters and escaped the inning.

He wouldn't escape the second, though. After retiring Mike Trout to start the inning, Smotlz gave up a double to Ty Cobb and a two-run homer to Pujols. And, that would be all for Smoltz, who was yanked from the game, going one-and-one-third innings, allowing eight runs on 7 hits, walking two, and striking out one.

Rickey Henderson hit a two-out double in the fifth to end the no-hit bid for Martinez, and Jackie Robinson hit a two-run homer in the 8th to end his shutout bid.

Mike Trout hit a homer in the 8th off of Every City's favorite reliever to give us the final margin of the game, before Nolan Ryan pitched the 9th.

Martinez final line was eight innings pitched, three runs allow on 6 hits, and 7 strikeouts.

Amazings couldn't have asked for a better result. They scored early and removed any doubt and stress, and the only reliever they used is a starting pitcher not likely to be called upon in the night cap.

Player of the Game, Brought to you by Jeff Loria's Art Collection: Albert Pujols
    Final Score: Amazings 10, Bandwagoners 3
    Win: Martinez
    Loss: Smoltz

heels1785 and dp4m like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    C'mon over, B... weather's fine...

[​IMG]

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    MY WORK HERE IS DONE!!!

This ended up not being that bad a take, m'man...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Point Given likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Fun season, everyone - thank you again, Inty. Good luck to the playoff sides.

18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I just wish I had more Pedro Martinezes.

Amazing.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you could have had mets pedro, phillies pedro and dodgers pedro. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ask and Ye Shall Receive!

Pitcher: El Grande (Pedro Martinez)

Lineups:

1) Billy Hamilton (CF)
    2) Rogers Hornsby (2B)
    3) Larry Walker (LF)
    4) Jimmie Foxx (1B)
    5) Hack Wilson (RF)
    6) Mel Ott (3B)
    7) Derek Jeter (SS)
    8) Chris Hoiles (C)
    9) <PITCHER>

@AmazingB

21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Do you seriously have Chris Hoiles? Seriously?

Starter: Lefty Grove

Joe Morgan, 2B
    Mike Trout, CF
    Ty Cobb, LF
    Albert Pujols, 1B
    Shoeless Joe Jackson, RF
    Alex Rodriguez, SS
    Yogi Berra, C
    Ron Santo, 3B

Amazing.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes I do. Your entire team are cheaters, so don't knock it! Posey wasn't getting it done!

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Thursday Intytober 24th

It's a beautiful night baseball in the Bronx. Clear skies, and 53 degrees for our 7:10 start time.

Let's go to our booth team and get some insight before the game starts:

Joe Buck: Well. This is a baseball game. And it should be similar to the game we saw earlier. Same rules, same number of innings, unless it goes to extras.

Alex Rodriguez: The key to Amazings winning is me. That's really what it comes down to.

Peter Gammons: Amazings got exactly what they needed from game one, and can be relatively fresh here tonight. The key for them, I think, is to score early and grab an early lead. If they can do that, it'll build momentum for them and help with tired minds and bodies, especially with how they struggled in their last series and sort of "limped in" to the tiebreakers. Of course, that's easier said than done with Pedro Martinez on the mound. I expect Martinez to be locked in and focused - he didn't help his team get out of their deep, deep hole and get to this game just to lose. if Pedro Martinez pitches like Pedro Martinez, watch out, this is going to be a quick, painful night for Amazings.

Tie Breaker Game 2 of 2
    Amazings at New York Highlanders

Single Elimination
    National Anthem Sung by: Lady Gaga

Nine Innings.

Four hits.

Ten Strikeouts.

Zero runs.

Pedro Martinez made sure his team advanced, and booked the New York Highlanders a trip to Seattle.

In what was a telltale sign of things to come, the first inning was a summary of the game. Martinez retired Amazings with ease, setting them down 1-2-3, and then Lefty Grove gave up a run - what proved to be the game winning run - without allowing a hit. Billy Hamilton walked to open the game, stole second, and advanced to third on a groundout by Rogers Hornsby. When Larry Walker grounded out as well, it looked like Grove might escape, but Yoga Berra attempted to pick Hamilton off of third, and his throw went awry, and Hamilton scored.

In the third, the wheels fell off for Amazings. Walker had an RBI single to drive in Horsnby, for the only earned run allowed all game, and then Ron Santo made a throwing error on a ground ball by Hack Wilson. With the extra out, the Highlanders got a two-run double from Derek Jeter, and and an RBI single from Chris Hoiles.

And that was it for scoring. Grove went the distance, allowing six runs, but only one earned, on eight hits in eight innings.

Amazings would threaten a few times, but never score on Martinez. in the third, they put men on the corners with two outs, but Martinez struck out Mike Trout. In the sixth, they would get the first two batters on base as Martinez walked Grove and Joe Morgan, but Martinez would get out of the jam. And, in the 8th, they would load the bases with two out, but Martinez would end the threat by inducing Shoeless Joe Jackson to ground out.

Player of the Game, Brought to you by Bernie Madoff: Pedro Martinez
    Final Score: Highlanders 6, Amazings 0
    Win: Martinez
    Loss: Grove

dp4m likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And so the playoffs are set. Here's the schedule

Saturday, Intytober 26th
    New York Highlanders at stone temple seattle pilots

Sunday, Intytober 27th
    Performance Enhancers at Let's Play Two
    New York Highlanders at stone temple seattle pilots

Monday, Intytober 28th
    Performance Enhancers at Let's Play Two

Tuesday, Intytober 29th
    stone temple seattle pilots at New York Highlanders

Wednesday, Intytober 30th
    Let's Play Two at Performance Enhancers
    stone temple seattle pilots at New York Highlanders

Thursday, Intytober 31st
    Let's Play Two at Performance Enhancers
    stone temple seattle pilots at New York Highlanders (if necessary)

Friday, Novembtwits 1st
    Let's Play Two at Performance Enhancers (if necessary)

Saturday, Novembtwits 2nd
    New York Highlanders at stone temple seattle pilots (if necessary)

Sunday, Novembtwits 3rd
    Performance Ehnahcers at Let's Play Two (if necessary)
    New York Highlanders at stone temple seattle pilots (if necessary)

Monday, Novembtwits 4th
    Performance Enhancers at Let's Play Two (if necessary)

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    1993 Chris Hoiles C 100 3 0 1 1 1 0 1 .333

[​IMG]

Also... PLAYOFF PEDRO! FINALLY!!!