main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The First Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Get everything taken care of Inty. RL comes first. [face_peace]

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me. will get to this as soon as i can. sorry about the wait.

3. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    I'll take over Yak's team so this draft gets done this year

4. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Nice. Okay, I'll regret this I'm sure, but I'm available to judge if commish gives the OK.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm sorry. i got way busier than i anticipated.

yak, if that's what you want to do go for it. same for whiteeagle.

i'll see about dragging prenn or RJ back in as well.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, things have gotten crazy busy here too. If Yak wants to take my place as judge, that's fine by me.

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, I was more thinking of being an additional judge, so 4 instead of 3. Actually that's how the last few comic drafts have been I think. We could really go 5, and just 1st 3 get the decision.

Excuse me while I go change my sig to something about how awesome C M Punk is.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Even number has the problem of potential ties, though.

9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Could just have 1st 3 judges to vote count.

10. whiteeagle

Dec 24, 2004
    Exactly

Edit: I pm'd you Yak

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Gotcha. I'll see what I can do with this with the arguments, research and such

12. whiteeagle

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello . . . .

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Believe it or not, I've been checking this stuff every day, I just haven't had time to do proper research. Hold on I'll give some leans. But keep in mind, yeah, I haven't really researched yet, I need Saturday at least for these teams.

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004

15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Sabonis over Earl? Really. Earl's quickness would leave Sabonis off balance often.

16. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah, pretty much that. And Sabonis could shoot. Even old, half-dead Sabonis was pretty solid. But yeah, mainly the ridiculous height and weight advantage. Probably Sabonis weighs less in his prime, but Monroe is gonna miss sometimes, and Sabonis... Can pretty much just back him down at will. Pretty much the same thing as the Shaq effect, and some other matches as well. This is actually one of the ones I looked at a bit, along with Jordan vs Worthy.

17. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Sabonis will get tired from The Pearl's sweet ball skills though.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm sorry, i haven't had any time for much of anything. if you can find a fifth judge would be a good thing i think, and the first of three to get their decisions up sounds good.

i actually think this is the first time i've even looked at the boards in about a week or something.

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Sorry about the weekend guys, mom is visiting since Thursday and... That has left very little time for research.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Well its been over two months and we're still on the first matchup/

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup.

There's a large part of me that says it's time to euthanize this draft, go back to the drawing board, and learn from our lessons. Namely, that we made it too large, both in terms of number of teams involved and number of matches per round.

22. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    We could do that, but I would think the main... Issue... Would be the team game. This is the only draft I know of where every single match has a team game, and those take notoriously a long time to deal with, just one. And we're dealing with the most vague and hard-to-define "characters" in history. Comics u can look em up, anime u generally know something, but this requires such depth... But u can't scrap the team game either, it's what makes this draft special.

For me though, I'd just keep going as is. I'd probably have been able to judge this weekend if mom hadn't owned my time. And once we get 1 team round under our belts, the rest should get easier. Animated was mad hard the 1st time, but then by the time we'd seen them a few times we basically didn't wait for arguments anymore coming up to playoffs. I expect this would be similar, in some ways. IRL is the biggest thing I think, besides the newness.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Agreed with Yak.

24. whiteeagle

Dec 24, 2004
    Scrap the team aspect but since it's already a month old we need to restart right? It's a very good idea for a draft

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm with yak as well. without the team side of things... it's just drafting individuals and it really doesn't matter if you manage to pull in a well rounded team or not. odds are it won't ever go to teams anyway if that happens. not with this one. i do think things will speed up once we get the hang of things more. i'm not going to be quite as busy for a little while, so i should be able to get judgments up before i go out of town for about four days. although if anything really happens before then i'll be... surprised to be somewhat honest.

anyway, just giving a bit of a heads up on what's going on with me and where my thoughts are with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.