main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The First Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Eh, whatever. Seeing as how I don't have Kobe, I'm not gonna get into defending him too hard. I'll just say for now that these statments...

kobe, as far as i've been able to see for most of his career, didn't.

but he sees himself as the GOAT (still find that hilarious), which means everyone's below him and not due his respect.

... are just straight-up, 100% false. Incorrect. Not true. Has he been a perfect player and teammate throughout his career (or really, ever in his career)? Hell no. But that nonsense up there is, well, just that. Nonsense.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    can only go by what i've read shurron. and the mess with shaq proves you a little wrong. maybe not to the extent that i said, but still he has NOT been a perfect teammate his entire career. a ballhog isn't a perfect teammate. and when he gets called on it sometimes he refuses to shoot for almost an entire game. i don't call that being a perfect teammate either. that is selfish. and he STILL does it. there are examples of it this season.

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Isn't calling him a ballhog a bit of a double standard though. I eman I hear some people knock on LeBron for not wanting the ball in his hands, especially in big situations(mostly in Cleveland I heard this) so the fact Kobe wants to carry the team to me is a good thing. If he is confident enough to want to have the ball and feels he can carry the team that sounds like someone who wants to win and if that is the case I want him as a teammate because I know he will give his all.

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the difference is jordan. he learned it. after he came out of retirement he COULD have done what he did before, and everyone knew it, instead he got his teammates involved more and the whole team was better for it. you can't do that if you're taking 30+ shots a game, which kobe has a history of randomly doing. sometimes it works, other times he'll go 7-34 and put the team in something of a major hole. that is hogging the ball and hurting the team. and as i said, when his coach has called him on it he sometimes won't even shoot the ball the next game, thereby hurting his team that way. either way you slice that it's selfish and childish. if jordan was told he was shooting too much he'd scale back, get the others involved, but still take his shots. HUGE difference to me.

5. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Um... When Kobe was REALLY shooting, IIRC, his team was terrible. MAYBE his team with Shaq could stack up against Jordan's Bulls, MAYBE. But Jordan had people who could shoot. He had a team that could go into the playoffs and win some without him. He didn't NEED to put the team on his back all the time.

Kobe did, and sometimes he still sorta does. Jordan had to sometimes, against great teams or teams having a great night, but don't act like Kobe's cast is what Jordan had in terms of other options. He's got some good ones now, but it's still not that.

I'd still agree though, Kobe has been childish.

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Where is this... Tom? I was hoping to make my picks tonight

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So did I. Kobe, for all his ball hogging during the stretch (though he still, from time to time, jacks up ridiculous shots) from '04-'08 (February of 2008, when the Gasol trade happened) didn't have a lot of talent with him. Obviously, there's all his nonsense with Shaq, and the fact that he his sort of a ****, but barring a horrible injury, he can be playing well into his late 30's, and rival Kareem with that longevity (and usefulness), and could challenge/break the all time scoring record. No surprise he went so high in this draft.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

8. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I had a feeling you wanted Bird as well, he seemed like the perfect compliment to Kareem. I actually wanted Magic with my first pick but that was a long shot I figured.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    With the 12th overall selection, the Atmospheric Fireballers select:

The Lawgiver of Basketball- Moses Malone

But, being that he alleges himself to be slow of speech, we have gotten a mouthpiece who definitely is not. The Master of Shaq Fu- Shaquille O'neal

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    interesting pair of picks yak. be interesting to see how you use shaq.

i'll update the list after i get out of class today, unless one of the other judges wants to do it. [face_batting]

12. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    [image=http://www.schlaglesports.com/Basketball_on_fire.gif]
    I will use him to win.

Hopefully.

13. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I would've taken Shaq in the top ten, and I think he'd dominate any of those other big guys, but I was also cut from my 7th grade basketball team.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    alright somebody has to do it. with my next pick i select lebron james.

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    shaq can't run the court with... well, most of the people on the list actually. that's one thing i always remember about him, pretty much always being the last one at the other end of the court if things shifted quickly. and by a couple seconds. that's why i say it'll be interesting.

ah. was wondering how far he'd fall.

16. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    You mean rise?

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    i'll update the list after i get out of class today, unless one of the other judges wants to do it.

Ok, I'll bite :p

Draft Order

Round 1

1. PointGiven - Michael Jordan
    2. DarthMcClain - Kobe Bryant
    3. RX Sith - Magic Johnson
    4. Empire Forever - Wilt Chamberlain
    5. DarthTunick - Kareem Abdul Jabar
    6. Gunny - Larry Bird
    7. NightHunter319 - Hakeem Olajuwon
    8. Shurron - Tim Duncan
    9. New_York_Jedi - Oscar Robertson
    10. JediMaster1511 - Karl Malone
    11. tom - Bill Russell
    12. Yak - Moses Malone

Round 2

1. Yak - Shaquille O'Neal
    2. tom - LeBron James
    3. JediMaster1511 On The Clock
    4. New_York_Jedi
    5. Shurron
    6. Nighthunter319
    7. Gunny
    8. DarthTunick
    9. EmpireForever
    10. RX SIt
    11. DarthMcClain
    12. PointGiven

Player List

Bill Russell
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Kareem Abdul Jabar
    Karl Malone
    Kobe Bryant
    Larry Bird
    LeBron James
    Magic Johnson
    Michael Jordan
    Moses Malone
    Oscar Robertson
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Tim Duncan
    Wilt Chamberlain

Coach List

Leave the list alone, only Judges and the Commish can update the list. If you want it updated ask, it should be done in a timely manner.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Dang I was hoping Moses would slip by unnoticed. :p

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    'bout time Shaq went. I'll do first round grades tonight, provided I get home at a semi-decent hour.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    honestly don't see a point to a first round grade a this point. everyone has one of the best people to ever play the game, and it's pretty much varying shades of A.

and thanks R...J.

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Same here. Grades really aren't that helpful until later rounds.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    alright, here's a grade list (based on where drafted)

A+

jordan, jabar, chamberlain, robertson, russell

A

bird, olajuwon, magic, m. malone, k. malone

A-

duncan

A--

bryant

i'd have taken karl, russell or moses malone over duncan there. and i can't quite give bryant a B but he was the worst pick of the round. and jabar and chamberlain should have been 2-3 to me. and i'd have taken robertson fourth. probably the best team player out there, and one of the best scorers out there to boot. and russell to me rounds out the top five, so getting him at near the bottom of the round was kinda a mini-steal. jordan pretty much has to go first really, so he's pretty much an A+ going anywhere.

23. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
  24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    The guy that does the Snickers commercials?

25. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, but before that he was one of the best centers in the game and a New York Knicks legend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.