main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

"The First Day" Writing Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sara_Kenobi, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The First Day Challenge

Everyone faces a first day in their life's. A first day at school. A first day at work. So I was thinking how great this would be if it were applied to the Star Wars Universe.

The Challenge

Write a first day for any character in the Star Wars Universe. It can be for any place in the Star Wars time line. It doesn't matter. It can be the Solo twins first day at the Jedi Temple, or written how Dooku faced his first day as Yoda's apprentice. Any category that you feel most comfortable writing in. Please post either links to your threads in the forums in here, or post your completed stories inside this thread, so others can read them too that take part in this challenge. This challenge can be written as a simple vignette, or in short story format.

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18511497&replies=0]My edition.[/link] :) Enjoy!

3. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, great idea,Sara! Let's see if I can write something. :)

Edit: Great vignette! :D

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Thanks, LaYa! :)

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I should have a new edition for this soon. I have a few ideas. :)

6. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18519080&replies=0]What the Sea Left (Vignette in response to THREE challenges!!)[/link]

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    That's awesome, Ty-Gon! :p=D=

8. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Away, plot bunnies, or I shall attack you with my lightsaber of DOOM!

Sigh.

I should have known it wouldn't work.

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    You're being attacked by bunnies? Does that mean you're trying the challenge? I hope it does. 8-}

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/18524134/?0]First Day[/link]

This is a plot bunny that actually bit a while ago, but I just jotted down the idea and didn't do anything with it. It fit so nicely with this challenge that I finally dusted it off and took a whack at it.

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    This is a great idea for a challenge Sara and I'll see if I can come up with anything to contribute -- I have a few bunnies right now :D

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Thanks, guys. :) Thanks, VaderLVR for contributing, and I'm glad happy the bunnies are after you too, Layren. :)

13. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Since I write Obidala. I'll write about Padme and Obi-Wan's first day as Wife and Husband.

14. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    I have a question: The vignette/short story can be about someone remembering the facts that happened on the particular first day? Or that first day has to be happening really, at the present time? [face_batting]

15. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    You're being attacked by bunnies? Does that mean you're trying the challenge? I hope it does.

Yeah, it means I'm trying the challenge.

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    It can be LaYa. :) And thank you, Karebear. :)

17. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Hi.

This one spoke to me, (in the form of a rabbit with very sharp teeth) so I wrote a little ficlet about it. It's not very long, but I kinda liked it.

Here's the link [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18556880&replies=0] The First Day Challenge response: A journal entry by a new member of the Rebel Alliance [/link]

I know the title is scarily long, but I just dont have any skills with that sort of thing.

18. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    [blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Sara_Kenobi]Sara_Kenobi[/link] posted on 2/25/05 11:30am
    [hr][/blockquote]

Thank you Sara. [face_grin] I'll post my edition only tomorrow, because I have a few things to study today ;\ . >

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Sara, You've managed to inspire a small missing scene from me as well. :) Thanks.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/18558473/?0]The Legend Of Myth[/link]

20. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I hope you don't mind, but the first piece I posted here matches the challenge. But I might write another first day piece yet. But here is the oldie:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/14988395/]Zhar Zhar's Lesson[/link]

21. Gina

Gina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I couldn't resist this challenge.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/18617820/?]Upon My Young Shoulders[/link]

22. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I'll just post this viggie here.
    Shmi's first day as a mother.

The young woman cradled the bundle breathlessly in her arms. The med droid had handed him to her moments before and she had been told that in a few minutes someone would be in to record the child?s birth.

But for now the time belonged to her and her child.
    He was sleeping now, which was a relief considering how loud he had been when he was first born. The droid had cleaned him, but he had fussed all the way through.

She had rocked him gently singing softly to him in Bocce and he had quickly calmed down. The pain of his birth was almost a distant memory as she looked at his small face, the delicate skin, so fragile.

Fear shot through her suddenly as she realized he was completely vulnerable! She was his protector, his only chance for life. The responsibility was overwhelming for a moment. Then it dissipated as his little mouth opened in a perfect yawn.

She gently kissed his forehead.

?You are mine, my son, my child and I will love you forever,? she said softly.

She knew that she would be released from the medcenter soon, she would be expected to go back to her duties as well as care for the child. She knew because she was a slave that he was owned also?and oh how that hurt!

But she also knew that she would do anything for him.
    She did not understand in the slightest how he had come to her, she knew there were certain steps to his conception that were missing, but she didn?t care.

Tears of joy gathered in her eyes. She had had a hard life, never having a family, never being able to love another person. But here was someone she could give her whole heart to, someone she would always love, and never let go.

You have to let go someday, a thought spoke in the back of her mind. She nodded to herself, instantly accepting the reality of that. There would come a time when she would have to let go for him to have a better life. She didn?t know how she knew but she was certain that day would come. I will have to let go someday.

?But not today,? she whispered, ?today I will hold you and keep you close. And I will love you forever.?

23. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Aww, that was so sweet, and sad... Bittersweet, that's the word I was looking for. Still, great ficlet.

You just gotta feel for poor Shmi. She really didn't have an easy time of anything, did she?

24. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I posted my story for this challenge. I have it [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/18627218/]here[/link]. It's a bit of a take on the whole first-day bit, but still rather interesting.

25. Gina

Gina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    kateydidnt

This was a beautiful vignette. Poor Shmi. My heart really went out to her. pokey1984 described it perfectly - bittersweet.

You have to let go someday, a thought spoke in the back of her mind. She nodded to herself, instantly accepting the reality of that. There would come a time when she would have to let go for him to have a better life. She didn?t know how she knew but she was certain that day would come. I will have to let go someday.

?But not today,? she whispered, ?today I will hold you and keep you close. And I will love you forever.?

I especially liked this part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.