main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Challenge The First Ever Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge (RESULTS POSTED)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Announcing...

***The First Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge***

[image=http://www.gildedquill.net/Graphics/Gilded_Quill.gif]

Greetings writers from around the boards! It's the distinct pleasure of the Roleplaying and Fanfiction Moderating Teams to offer to our communities, and the Jedi Council Forums, the First Trans-forum Writing Challenge. It is our profound hope that this friendly competition increases the dialog between writers here, bringing our mutual hobbies closer together and inspiring a feeling of excellence among us.

Fanficcers and RPers alike, step right up and show us your talents!

Act I: The Challenge

How will these talents be judged one might ask? In designing this event, we needed to look for a shared bridge between Fanfiction and Roleplaying. To this end, we've settled on one-post fanfics / single RPG posts. This is a great way to judge the shared writing talent of our posters. The prompt will be given once we have our participants, but it will be Star Wars in topic. The prompt will center around one character, with the ability to incorporate other characters (RPF: In the form of NPCs). To prevent a tsunami of novellas, we will be enforcing a word-count limit. All entries must be above 500 words and must not exceed 2000 words.

The timeframe for this challenge will be as follows. From the posting of the prompt, there will be one week alloted for sign-ups, three weeks for writing the entry, and two weeks for the JC to vote on it.

Act II: The Participants

In a competition such as this, we unfortunately cannot extend the ability to participate to everyone. While your writing is a joy to read, we can't ask our judges to shift through pages and pages of writing. To solve this, we are going to have interested writers PM their respective mod teams of their interest. At their discretion, they will pick four writers from each forum to participate. These writers will be picked due to their quality of writing, and their reliability as posters. When the prompt is given, these posters will be the one's writing for the contest.

Act III: The Judgment

Judgment for this contest will be done by PMed vote to a Competition Sock. The writings of the contestants will be posted in the neutral, 3rd party "Census and Games" board. There RPers, FFers, and non-affiliated JCers can all vote. Everyone is allowed to vote, though sock checking will be strictly enforced. The writings will be randomized and anonymous to achieve complete impartiality.

Judgment for this competition is a very delicate subject. We want the judgment process to be truely based on the merits of their writing, not on partisanship towards any one person's respective forums. We're doing a few things to make this happen. Firstly, we're going to be asking chosen participants to remain anonymous. While we, the Mods, cannot enforce this outside of our respective boards, we're going to use an honor system and hope people live up to their promises. Secondly, as stated above, we'll be making the writings anonymous. They will be given code-names so that they will be indistinguishable amongst each other. Only their literary merits will be observed. Finally, in making the awards sock, all involved mods will be able to access the account. This will check any allegations of bias amongst the vote-checkers.

Its our hope that these carefully laid measures will make for the most fair competition possible.

As for the winners, we are opting for the simple approach. Users will PM to us their top three candidates. The one awarded first will get 3 points, the one awarded second will get 2, and the one awarded third will get one. At the end of the voting period, the contestant with the highest amount of points will be awarded the winner.

ACT IV: The Reward

As with all good contests, there must be a reward. To fit the scope of this competition, we will be playing for forum pride! Thats right friends, the winner of this c

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Oh, and feel free to use this thread for questions, comments, rabble-rousing, etc. ;)

3. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    [face_good_luck] BRILLIANT!!!! [face_good_luck]

4. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    *rouses some rabble*

:p

I agree with Corellian_Ale. This is a brilliant idea!

5. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Oooo, I am very much intrigued. :D This should be fantastic!

6. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This is a very interesting idea! :D I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

7. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    If I didn't have exams, I'd be deluging the mods in PMs right about now.

However, I do . . . so my already abysmal fanfic workrate is asymptotic to zero atm. Ah well. I will definitely be following this, and cheering on Team Fan Fiction. Go people!

[face_dancing]

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awesome idea!

=D= =D= =D=

I look forward to reading the entries. :)

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    So THIS is the project I_H spoke of.:eek:
    You know, you had me scread out of my socks for some time. [face_shame_on_you]

I love the idea, though.[face_love]

10. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    From the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/28404367/p1/?8]sister thread [/link] in the RPG Forum:

Game on Fanficcers!

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh, this is great! :D The first five stories I posted on this board were based on roleplays I'd participated in. Even if I'm not one of the ones picked to represent the fanficcers, I'll be paying close attention.

If I interpret the rules correctly, the entries would be PMed to the contest sock so the mods can post the stories anonymously?

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    That's right - PM us, and we'll put those up in C&G.

And it is so not Hammer time...RPF's goin' down.

13. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    What a wonderful idea, I'm quite intrigued. :D

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    nice idea and all about OC's?

15. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Can't wait! Let's get our cheer section ready now!

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Say What????? o_O

17. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a question that might be premature - but what do we do about betas? If someone is picked, can they use their normal betas even though they're sworn to secrecy? Or would the mods prefer we find someone off the boards - or ask one of them? [face_mischief]

And I also assume that, unlike in the RPF, we can use the NPCs as we wish?

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    [blockquote]How will these talents be judged one might ask? In designing this event, we needed to look for a shared bridge between Fanfiction and Roleplaying. To this end, we've settled on one-post fanfics / single RPG posts. This is a great way to judge the shared writing talent of our posters. The prompt will be given once we have our participants, but it will be Star Wars in topic. The prompt will center around one character, with the ability to incorporate other characters (RPF: In the form of NPCs). [/blockquote]

Is there any hint as to which era the challenge will be in? Before, Saga or Beyond? Or anything more specific other than 'Star Wars'?

Aaaaaaaaah, acronyms. I run into these at work all the time. What is an NPC?

19. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    NPC = non-player character. As in, someone the person running the role-playing game controls (or in video games, someone the player doesn't control).

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    Entries can be with Original characters or Canon characters.

The RPF'ers generally do not use betas. We can't tell you not to use a beta, but in the interest of fairness and confidentiality, this might be a good time to give our betas a well-earned vacation. ;)

Any era. The entries will be posted in a neutral forum, so the timeframe is up to you.

Go Team Fan Fic!! :D =D=

21. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Having RP'd and written fanfic...my bet is for the Fanficcers. :D

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Word Wiz Game Co-Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *planted FanFiction's banner in enemy forum*

Edit: I didn't post the actual banner, but you know, it's the spirit of the thing.

23. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    [image=http://www.grimghosts.com/wdw/v-hitch.jpg]

Best be careful when visiting other forums... [face_alien_1]

Lest an RPFer will follow you hooooome!

So this is Fanfiction Resource eh?

*Looks around*

's nice...

Kinda big...

Don't like these little underliney things when you post though...

Kinda freakin' me out...

Hello all you silly little Fanficcers, you!

*Pinches cheeks*

*Scurries back to the RPR*

-I_H

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Word Wiz Game Co-Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

OW!

:mad:

25. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    *Picks up the FF banner from the RPF scurries to the FF and breaks the banner into dozens of tiny unmattering pieces before firmly planting and indestructible, unuprootable, RPF banner in the FF*

We gonna pwn you FFers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.