main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The First (Only?) SWC Triple Threat Mini Draft

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthIntegral, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Love the arguments Jordan has put forth for Iden, but IMO ... just not quite on the same level as Soontir Fel. Fel has just demonstrated a little more against the elite of the elite pilots, and even prep doesn't close that gap.

I'm big on Adi and Saesee individually, and together, they are damn good Kyp is good, the prep makes it a little closer .. but not quite.

And, apparently, I need to hand over my title of "judge with the highest opinion of Poe Dameron" because while I do think individually Poe > Wedge, neither Poe nor Wedge are busting that Gavin/Corran trump.

- - - - -

@Jordan1Kenobi 2 - 2 @SithOverlord101
    we're going to teams!

@RX_Sith 4 0 @clone commander bossk
    Rexy Wins!

- - - - - - -

One last team battle to bring us home

Poe, Tycho, Wes, Iden, Saesee, and Adi vs. Gavin, Corran, Jagged, Maarek, Soontir, and Kyp

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh boy, these are stacked!

3. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
  4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Alright I'll make up my previous delayed judgment by jumping in here...

@Jordan1Kenobi vs. @SithOverlord101

Poe, Tycho, Wes, Iden, Saesee, and Adi vs. Gavin, Corran, Jagged, Maarek, Soontir, and Kyp

Individually...

--Tycho = Soontir, this is mostly b/c I don't wanna kill myself breaking it down, but also b/c I think Tycho is prob more well-rounded experience-wise while Fel is maybe a tick better one-on-one. This is obvs a teams battle vs. a straight dogfight, but then Fel also gets a bump by doing most of his work in a TIE, so...just let me live please.

--Poe = Gavin, similar story as above. I can see Poe going over Gavin purely individually b/c he pulls more wild **** in a way usually reserved for Skywalkers, though that's also why I think he could be more of a liability in a group of peeps vs. Gavin's consistent level-headedness (though he's not stagnant either, he came up with that tactic of using your inertial damper to prevent a dovin basal from stripping your shields). Anyway, I need to stop copping out here.

Though to be fair it could easily net out as Poe < Fel and Tycho > Gavin too, which is the same but with far less ~intrigue~.

--Wes < Corran, okay here we go. I saw Corran described once as like that kid when you were playing super heroes with your friends, who would just keep stacking powers out of nowhere until no one could really challenge him. Which is pretty much what happens in I, Jedi and most of Stackpole's stuff. But it does technically happen, so, yeah that's hard for Wes to leapfrog. I'd rather have a beer with Janson though.

--Iden < Stele, in a battle of the classic Ace Video Game Imperial Who Works With Rebels Later On, the TIE Strategy Guide really sticks out, as does the fact that Stele can match her breadth of craft types both piloted and faced. But the fact that Iden is even in this convo, as well as the last match w/ prep, is testament to her abilities.

--Saesee > Kyp, pretty simply I think Tiin's better, though not if Kyp were to sneak in a StealthX for this one.

--Adi < Jag, I was #TeamZekk mostly b/c I thought Jag acted like a **** sometimes and also seriously how incestuous is Star Wars? Soontir marries Wedge's sister and his son marries Han's daughter and it's like wow the galactic tabloids must have made some mad coin off all that. Thank god Rey ended up being a nobody (though if she had turned out to be a Kenobi, I'd take all that back).

Oh and Jag is just definitely better than Adi to me.

I think if you shift around how those match up it could look even closer, but I think SithO has an edge regardless. Who has the better TEAM though?

Let's be clear, only one squad has real ~drama~. Jag & Kyp had their love triangle in Dark Journey, and if we go with "You are forced to fight here b/c Jaina is imprisoned and will be killed" it'll be pretty awkward. Kyp & Corran aren't exactly best buds, and honestly is anyone best buds with Corran? I try to block out post-NJO stuff given their general plot direction was "TURN EVERYONE AGAINST EACH OTHER" but in Horn's case it was probably a long time coming.

Actual, um, starfighter-wise though...Jordan's got rock-solid duos in Tycho/Wes and Saesee/Adi, with Poe probably knowing *of* Iden but both of them being DisnEU outliers. Similarly SithO has Kyp/Corran and Soontir/Jag, with Gavin having just missed Papa Fel's Rogue service. The difference is Stele, who not only flew in the 181st with Soontir but could also lock in with the Jedi's Mind Meld. Kyp/Jag also have Twin Suns together, and specifically as a shield trio w/ each other & Jaina (lol seriously wtf authors) where they'd have to physically fly in tandem to boost that tactic Gavin came up with.

Not sure there's much more to pontificate about. In a match with these kind of razor-thin margins, a tiny individual edge paired with more demonstrable unit cohesiveness goes a long way.

Winner: SithO

But congrats to @Jordan1Kenobi who won the war if not this particular battle (to me)-- a dominant performance across all 3 areas and a well-earned ring for one of the more active draft vets. In retrospect starting with the SFD would've added more intrigue, with the bonus of prob removing Luke from the Jedi portion which...yeah (speaking of, just realized we all missed that RX picked Iden in the Muggles portion, not that it dramatically impacted the proceedings :p).

Congrats also to @SithOverlord101 for solidifying your SFD chops and getting other experience, @RX_Sith for somehow getting me to vote Yoda over Caedus (?!?), and @clone commander bossk for completing your first draft.

And of course the next two guys for helping the coaxium transport trains run on time. Especially Inty for coming up with yet another draft type in his quest to like get the Hall of Fame named after him.

@DarthIntegral @Point Given

5. SithOverlord101

Sep 1, 2018
    Give me a StealthX for Kyp

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Been overthinking this one, because it's really close. But ...

SithO has the best individual pilot (Poe), the most cohesive pair (Adi/Saesee), and slightly fewer questions about cohesion. in a match that razor thin, those kinds of margins sway me, and I think he nips this one and prevents Jordan from the sweep.

Winner: @SithOverlord101

Final Standings (SFC):

SithO 3-0 (8-4)
    Jordan 2-1 (8-4)
    Rx 1-2 (7-5)
    clonecombo 0-3 (1-11)

Final Standings (Overall)

Jordan - 13 points
    Sith0 - 10 points
    Rx - 7 points
    clonecombo - 0 points

That means ... your winner ... and neeeeeeeew champion

[​IMG]

@Jordan1Kenobi

(Some mod type - get this man some colours!)

7. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  8. SithOverlord101

Sep 1, 2018
    Congrats Jordan

@DarthIntegral Poe is on Jordan's team. As are Saesee/Adi

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    KenKenobi and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    whoops. in that case, I actually voted for Jordan!

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    So it’s not over yet!

@Point Given, it’s all down to you now!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  11. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gonna go with Sith Overlord. I just love that midfield of the Fels plus Stele too much.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, for real this time:

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    My first Star Wars draft win! Now I have a comics and SW one under my belt. Not bad.

Thank you to all the judges and competitors, it's been so much fun! My starfighter drafting obviously still needs work, but I love the Jedi and Muggles portions a lot.

I think this draft has definitely increased the reps of a few characters for future drafts.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    P.S. For my colours I'd like them to resemble Ahsoka. White text, orange background, white border. Thank you!

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Jordan1Kenobi and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    'tis done and done, congratulations on your win @Jordan1Kenobi, the colors look good on you. Let me know if you want them changed!

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you :)

KenKenobi and Bardan_Jusik like this.