main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions The first piece of the EU that you owned?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Imperial Reject, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    so what was it that made you realize Star Wars was more then just a movie series? what made you "Take your first step into a larger world" what was the first EU book/comic/game thing you ever owned? I've been in a nostalgic mood lately looking at old Star Wars stuff on Ebay, remembering those early days of my Star Wars fandom, My big brother had all the cool Star Wars stuff that I wanted lol he had a friend that was an even bigger fan than he was and I hung out with them alot

Anyway back to the topic If I'm being honest here the first piece of the EU I Got was Dark Empire #4 "Confrontation On The Smuggler's Moon" when I was seven
    [​IMG]
    I was very very confused but it was Star Wars so I didn't care I'm still that way today lol

that was the first but the one that made me get into the EU more was the "Young Jedi Knights" series I was given "Shadow Acadamy" for my 8th Birthday. I still own it to this day!

[​IMG]
    I still have a soft spot for that series in fact though I don't own all of them I just ordered "Lightsabers" recently and am anticipating its arrival!

Dagobahsystem and whostheBossk like this.
  2. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Do video games count? If so, it would be Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 from 1997.

3. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes of course anything EU, I think my first Star Wars game was Super Return Of The Jedi for the Super Nintendo. I still have my Dark forces 2 game also

4. REJECTED

REJECTED Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Not counting video games, my first piece of EU literature was the Book of Sith, which was a gift from my girlfriend. I'd always been a fan of EU and had played SW:TOR, KOTOR, Jedi Knight etc., but that book really kickstarted my interest in it.
    I started buying the books in chronological order, because I prefer the Old Republic and pre-Old Republic time.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The first piece of EU that I owned... Hm, that has got to be an issue of the arc Twilight in the Republic comic series.
    I, however, aren't too sure about that. It could also be an issue of the Crimson Empire comic series.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Droids: Pirates and the Prince.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye - then The Thrawn Trilogy -- both as soon as they came out.

Sarge, whostheBossk and DarthIshyZ like this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I think it was Heir to the Empire.

9. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    For me it was a children's book they had at the library. I don't remember what it was called, but it was about two kids and Lando and they go into some kind of theme park and it becomes kind of a suspense/horror thing.

After that, I didn't really get any more into the EU until like 4th grade when I bought Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Still my favorite piece of the EU.

10. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear- Tash and Zak Arranda. I have some of those.

Mine was Jedi Search. Brand new book at the time. Didn't know then that there was even anything outside of the movies. Haven't looked back since.

11. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014

Thanks for the info! As a result the last half hour I've been on wookiepedia tracking down all the old EU stuff I read - I remember now reading a lot of the "Jedi Apprentice" books as well as the little "has-more-words-than-a-picture-book-but-is-still-not-even-a-junior-novel" books that would focus on a character.
    This is kind of off topic, but since we're discussing old children's Star Wars novels, I have a bit of a mystery. I remember one that I can't seem to find on wookiepedia. It was about Anakin. He was competing in a podrace but didn't finish and blew up the pod. Then in a bar or something he meets some fighter pilot or something (he looked a little like that grey-and-white suited pilot in the cantina in ANH) and he tells him about the universe and then Anakin has a dream he won the podrace. There are a bunch of children's books about Anakin podracing, but none that seem to match the plot or time of release (I would have read it around 2000). Interesting. Maybe my memory is messing up part of it. I remember it depressing the heck out of me since it was so melancholy.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    First book was the Jedi Academy trilogy, first comic issue was either Vader's Quest, Dark Force Rising or The Last Command, first TPB was Episode 1, first game probably was Episode 1 Race for Game Boy Color,

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Do things like the essential guides count? If so, then the Incredible Cross Sections for the original trilogy ships is the first piece of EU I ever had (even before seeing Star Wars, it was a Christmas present from a family member who thought surely I must've seen it). If it's just stories that count, then Dark Apprentice.

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    well I don't know if it's my first step into a larger world because I didn't buy and read my first EU novel until after TCW came around, but the first thing I owned, back in 1994, was the video game TIE Fighter for the PC, and it was awesome! To this day I still relish the feeling of sweeping in behind an X-Wing and blasting it out of the stars.

15. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I believe my first exposure to the EU was through the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, the Republic comic series and Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast.

16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Marvel's Star Wars #7.

17. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Game I'm fairly sure was Shadows of the Empire.

The earliest novel I remember actually owning was one NJO books from around the middle of the series - I want to say it was Rebel Stand because I distinctly remember Wes Janson being in, but then I also remember being owning a NJO book with K-Wings in it so it might have been Star By Star. Whatever it was I traded it and a few other NJO books to a friend for Pokemon Red when we were 12.

By that point though I'd read all of the stuff that my primary school library had from the EU (a couple of the X-Wing books, Darksaber and two of the Jedi Academy Trilogy).

As far as sourcebooks/source material I got the OT visual dictionary when I was 7 and have treasured it ever since.

18. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I know I had a few Star Wars comics back in the 80's, but at this point couldn't honestly remember the stories or tell you what happened to them. Had a lot of action figures as well back then.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

In fact, this is the first piece of Star Wars anything I owned, except for a couple action figures. My uncle bought my siblings and I an Xbox and it came with this game, and I hadn't seen a SW movie at that point. It was after I played the game that I decided I want to see the movies. So really, the EU is more responsible for me becoming a SW fan than the movies. :p

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here except an arc from Star Wars Droids for me. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. zodiac brave

zodiac brave Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    the first EU thing I OWNED was the first 3 of the x-wing novels series. an older cousin of mine was really into star wars and my mom had gifted me the then new "one last time" vhs boxset. i think another family member had shown me ESB when i was really young, and i never had any real inclination to get into SW, but just like trek and planet of the apes, my mom just took the initiative and bought me the movies. thats when i was 12. after a while my cousin started telling me about all these books and comics and stuff that were about star wars, but not like the movies, and while there were some of these novels that had the movie characters in them, the best ones where the ones where they took a small character and fleshed them out. he showed me his book collection which back then were those three x-wing novels, most of the jedi apprentice stuff and the thrawn trilogy. i was hooked when he started telling me about wedge and tycho and how they fit into the actual movie stuff. it kinda blew my mind. the christmas we started being fans "together" he got me those 3 novels.

before that though, he'd let me watch him play rebel assault 2 on playstation whenever i was over and that was my first real taste of the idea of an "EU". Recently rebought that game and its still fun as hell! :D

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    This and it was glorious!
    [​IMG]

Maulfly , Sarge and COMPNOR like this.
  23. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I remember seeing some Droids and Ewoks when I was little and Caravan of Courage. Also played the Super Star Wars games on SNES but for the first that I owned? Probably the SOTE N64 game. Probably same with the novels with SOTE or X-Wing - Rogue Squadron… hard to remember now. Reference book would be the Star Wars Chronicles book.

24. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    First that I owned... I'm not even sure. Probably Rogue Squadron. First that I read was Tales from Jabba's Palace. My brother told me to read it after I wouldn't stop bugging him with questions about Return of the Jedi (which was the first movie I saw).

25. Uhl Eharl Khoehng

Uhl Eharl Khoehng Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2000
    I Jedi, I think? I was working at night and had a lot of time to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.