main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Following Takes Place Between 35:3:8 and 39:3:7 of the GCW. Events Occur in Real Time.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 3, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Man... I hearing from some friends on Tatoonie that their tracking some random droids across the desert. Either way heading to the shuttle for Muunilist.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  3. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Quest, what are today's events? :D

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    35:3:5

Luke Skywalker and Threepio track down Artoo in the Jundland Wastes, but are attacked by Sandpeople. They are, in turn, rescued by Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Meanwhile the Jawa sandcrawler and Lars homestead are attacked by the stormtroopers tracking the droids. Luke, Ben and the droids discover these horrific acts late in the day.

Elsewhere in the galaxy, with the Death Star now operational, the Emperor disbands the Imperial Senate (and, along with it, the last traces of the Trade Federation) "for the duration of the emergency" in regards to the widespread declaration of rebellion.

This results in COMPNOR involving itself over the Imperial bureaucracy, the Imperial Ruling Council becoming the centralized leadership within the Empire and Regional Governors and Moffs being given direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of the Death Star.

Having returned to the Death Star aboard the Devastator, Darth Vader uses drugs and other techniques to interrogate and torture Princess Leia while pretending to be her father...

An interesting note that Eddie brought up on FB regarding the ANH timeline: the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook has a senior Sandtrooper stating that it took "several days" for them to track down the Sandcrawler and search/attack it.

So, even though the official timeline of events doesn't support that, one could theoretically accommodate it by having R2 & 3PO spending an extra day aboard the Sandcrawler before being sold to the Lars (thus making the search last two days- the minimum amount needed to satisfy the "several" description).

You'd have to condense the events of two subsequent days (likely "today's" events with "tomorrow's")to maintain the proper timespan of events in the long run though (and there could be problems with doing that kind of shift as well that I'm not thinking of, but it's something to consider as a possibility).

eddie1969 likes this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I always found interesting that Tales indicated (with the Tonnika sisters story set on this day) that the DSII was already under construction. Have we had any other source state this? (I know Force Commander doesn't have Endor scouted until after Hoth).

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Choices of One, set 9 months after the Battle of Yavin, the incomplete DS2 is above the Forest Moon, and already looks like a half-sphere.

7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Found it in COO. Thanks!

8. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Another TESB observation from the WEG Movie Trilogy Sourcebook:
    "It was particularly difficult for Luke Skywalker to watch Zev Senesca's snowspeeder burst into a ball of flame. Just days before his death during the assault on Hoth, Zev had flown the patrol that had spotted Commander Skywalker and Captain Solo."

9. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Yet in Star Wars Galaxies, often vaguely placed at around 1.5 ABY, the DS2 is nowhere to be seen in the system. Nor is there a huge imperial presence, just a few troopers down on the moon and some starfighters, shuttles and a few Ye-4 gunships and VT-49 Decimators in space.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Trust me not seeing the Death Star at Endor was one of the lesser canon problems with that game....

Sounds like more then on most Rim worlds. :)

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Aren't all the Ewoks stories supposed to take place after TESB but before the Imperials set up shop on the moon?

12. KamSolusar

Mar 8, 2001
    Yeah, I've played the game for 8 years. It wasn't quite as bad as its reputation though.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    35:3:6

Luke, Ben and the droids travel to Mos Eisley Spaceport, a wretched hive of- ok, okI'll stop quoting the movies. Booking passage to Alderaan with a Corellian smuggler and his Wookiee co-pilot. A Rodian named Greedo-the-Indeterminable-Age is killed by the smuggler (said corpse of Greedo is soon to become Hutt juice). Luke, Ben and droids board the smuggler's ship, the Millennium Falcon, and escape from Imperial forces tracking the droids.

They'll arrive at Alderaan at 0200 hours the next day. Or, at least, they would have.

Tarkin attempts to lure the location of the Rebel base from Princess Leia by threatening to use the Death Star on Alderaan, her homeworld. She names Dantooine as the base's location. Tarkin proceeds regardless an the blue planet is vaporized.

The death of so many lives simultaneously sends out a shockwave in the force, causing discomfort or even great pain to Force users such as Ben or Keyan Farlander.

Subsequent investigation by Imperial forces find the remains of the Dantooine base, but realize that it has been evacuated for quite some time. As punishment for the deception, Tarkin orders Leia's execution.

Elsewhere, many of the TFTMEC stories intersect or resolve (including Het the Jawa's fate- damn that Ranat!). Many Alderaanians manage to survive the destruction of the planet by having been offworld at the time.

Carlist Rieekan was one such survivor who was on Delays near Alderaan. He ignored requests for evacuation and aid, hoping to avoid implicating Alderaan with the Rebellion (obviously he did not read TFU). Such hesitation cost many people their lives, or so he told himself afterwards.

Around this time (and, perhaps, the preceding day or two) X-Wings, astromechs and proton torpedoes are acquired for use by Yavin Base.

Rookie One, Ru Murleen and other Rebels escape from Tatooine around this time, heading for Gamma Base.

Brenn Tantor continues pursuit of the droids to one of the locations the Falcon could have gone to besides Alderaan.

So, yeah, a lot of video game stuff is going down ;).

Point Given likes this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    GAMMA BASE IS NOT ON HOTH. That's all I have to say. :mad:

The2ndQuest and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If Alderaan was destroyed today, doesn't that mean it's Tycho Celchu's birthday?

Point Given likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indeed. So, uh, "happy" birthday, Tycho?

I feel we should underline that, effectively, 2 billion people "died" today. That's like wiping out the entire populations of China, Russia, Brazil and the USA combined.

Point Given likes this.
  17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm super excited about this--I've long wondered about the viability of placing all the sources that have to take place in just the first two months in the first two months (and that was before Scoundrels, which spans a couple of weeks!)...this should be an excellent test.

This is officially the first date I'm taking issue with in this thread: there is no way I am that old. Clear continuity error there. ;):p

TC

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will say in advance that I'm uncertain if I'll be able to read Scoundrels myself by time we hit it in the order, so I'll be leaning heavily on the analysis of others when we get there (but at least we have a pretty good idea of where it actually takes place!).

(BTW, you want weirdness in the passage of time? When rereading Empire #14 I noticed an ad for ROTJ Infinities. There's no way *that* series is almost 10 years old!)

19. KamSolusar

Mar 8, 2001
    Though if you believe Star Wars Galaxies ([face_clown]) they actually only discovered a decoy base, while the real base on the other side of the planet remained hidden and operational.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    R.I.P. Alderaan :(

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Is this thread going to cover the post-Yavin non-adaptation children's books like The Maverick Moon as well?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to try to cover whatever I can find listed on general timelines, but my ability to break content down day by day will be limited to that which I have access to.

Anything I don't have I'll go by what other sources have to say about it, or, a summary at the very least.

This will mean that some short stories, game levels and obscure children's content won't be looked at as in-depth as other content but I'll do my best to at least bring them up.

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    So does that mean you'll be covering the super-obscure short stories that were posted on the Galaxies website, as well as the scenarios for the Galaxies card game? [face_praying]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If I stumble across them in a timeline reference list, I'll try, but to be frank, I wasn't even aware of the latter until you just mentioned it ;).

35:3:7

The Millennium Falcon is captured by the Death Star in the Alderaan system. It's crew and passengers manage to sneak around the station and rescue Princess Leia.

Meanwhile Obi-Wan is able to free the Falcon from the tractor beam imprisoning the ship and confronts his former apprentice, Darth Vader, in lightsaber combat, buying time for the others escape, and calling Stormtroopers away from the Falcon with the Force to open a Path for said escape.

This distraction would cost him his life, as Vader strikes him down. Kenobi's body, however, vanishes into the ether...

After fighting off a TIE Fighter patrol, the Falcon and it's remaining passengers escape the Death Star and arrive at Yavin Base, where Artoo and General Dodonna will analyze the Death Star plans.

They do so with haste, suspecting that an Imperial homing beacon (later discovered by Artoo to be a droid) has been placed aboard the Falcon, providing the Death Star with the location of it's next target...

Elsewhere on Yavin IV, Biggs and Dantels recover a flower for a medication to help the sick and injured Hobbie Klivian.

Also sick, Wes Janson is unable to transfer to Yavin Base when called upon. Jek Porkins will fly in his place.

Tantor arrives on Ruul, discovers the Falcon did not go there, but finds a Rebel Base transmitting stolen data. They eliminate the base and capture the data.

25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    There's no way Empire is almost ten years old...I remember when that series was just coming out and I was really concerned that it would contradict stuff in this era. (It did a little; but no one cared because it wasn't a TV show or something. :p )

You should definitely check Scoundrels out, though, it's a really fun read and has lots of fun continuity references. (It goes to show that we live in a totally different era now when there are multiple Marvel references in a Zahn novel...)

TC