main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force at the Figueroa

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthBreezy, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    In any event, I think dealing with a taxi service and/or shuttle service is still going to be cheaper than renting a car for the entire week in LA. Remember, C4 will be held during Memorial Day weekend next year, so you know rental car fares are going to be increased for the holiday travel.

Renting a car in LA for the week during Memorial Day weekend? Not for my wallet. I'd much rather deal with taxis and shuttles for the 1-2 trips that I will need to take.

2. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I believe we are taking a taxi durring the convention. then when we go to disney we will rent a car. A taxi is just easier, i think. because they know their way around the city. Most of the time we will be walking anyway since we are so close to the convention. :D

3. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm not going to need a car for any of it... I just wanted to go in with a few people for a van or shuttle from the airport to the hotel since Val says it's pretty far. I guess no one knows if such a service is offered. =)

-GJ

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
  5. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Gracias!!!! I'm sure as the date gets closer some of us will work out the details and share the drive over to cut down on costs.

-GJ

6. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    I cannot strongly enough recommend the Amtrak/Union Station-LAX roundtrip shuttle bus. It goes every 45 minutes around the clock (I think, may be an hour during wee hours), and is ***$3*** each way per person, which CANNOT be beat. When you get to Union Station, go downstairs from the Patsaouras Transit Plaza bus bays, and go right into the Red Line station, where you pay $1.25 one way and catch the red line to the 7th/Figueroa station -- that will put you in striking distance of nearly all the major hotels. If you're able to wrangle your own luggage, and depending on where you end up, it will get you from the airport to your hotel for under $5 a person, which is unheard-of. If not, take the shuttle just to Union Station, then catch one of about a gajillion cabs from there, which will be WAY cheaper and shorter than trying to cab from the airport.

MCP

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up, MrCotton. Any advice that ultimately saves me $$$ is welcomed anytime.

8. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Well I guess that takes care of that. Thanks!

9. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003

Thanks for the info...may not rent a car after all...Guess it all depends on how much it will cost to get to Disneyland from the Fig :)

Also, just wanted to register my complaint that registration isn't available yet...I am kind of surprised...I figured it would have been up last week at the lastest....:(

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Just an FYI -- you can get from Union Station downtown to the Anaheim Station for Disneyland via Amtrak (you would then take a taxi from the station to the park). It will take just over an hour, and cost around $9.75 one way (not counting the taxi).

A taxi ride from your hotel to the park would be very expensive (maybe $45 one way?), but if you have a couple other people with you, you could share the cost.

11. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Yeah, unfortunately a seamless public-transport Amtrak Station-Disneyland connection is pretty much nonexistent -- which is weird to me, since it's so well-honed everywhere else around there. We live in the SFV and we have thought of taking just a fun overnight trip on the train many times (instead of the whopping 45-minute drive) but the chink in the armor is the station-hotel hookup. There are two buses from there daily, VERY early in the morning (for commuting workers) so a taxi is pretty much the way to go. Fortunately, it is not all that expensive (about $15 one way from the station to the Grand Californian), and there is a dedicated taxi phone line in the Amtrak station. Note: USE it. Many, many people are calling cabs from there, and during peak hours (rush hour) you may have a wait of about 45 minutes. We also have hooked up with other friendlies, and when we find we are all going to the same hotel or general area, we have shared expenses (easy to do if it's a van type cab, which a lot are). And if you need a van cab, definitely use the dedicated line, and expect to wait longer, again, at peak hours.

MCP

12. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks for all the transportation info posted so far, everyone.

Well here's a copy of an email exchange I had with the Fig or Mr. Thimansson (Uno) himself.

>"Dear Mr. Uno (I forgot this was his first name, so this isn't a good start),
    >
    >Do you have a reservation for me for the dates Wednesday, May 23 through
    >Monday, May 28, 2007 in a room with a queen size bed? My
    >confirmation number is ~x~.
    >
    >Is there a discount room rate available for the Star Wars Celebration IV
    >Convention which will be held at the convention center two blocks away from
    >the hotel during those dates? I believe most the guests at the Figueroa
    >during that time will be conventioneers. (Maybe too pushy here.)
    >
    >Thank you for your time.
    >
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >~~~my name~~~"

The prompt reply was only:
    >
    >"As of this moment we are sold out."

Uno Thimansson
    Figueroa Hotel, 939 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles CA 90015
    TEL. 213-627-8971 FAX 213-689-0305 EMAIL unofig@aol.com
    http://www.figueroahotel.com

Hmmmm. [face_thinking] Well I guess it sounds like I was trying to make a reservation, but if I give you a confirmation number then you should realize I already have one, look me up, and confirm it by your email response. Right? So I just sent him another email stressing that I already have a reservation and just want an email confirmation. If I don't get a response in a couple of hours, I'll call. I'm not purchasing a plane ticket if the man 'lost' my reservation. [face_plain]

13. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I have looked into that hotel and I think really its kind of stupid that you cannot make reservations online like any normal hotel does in this day and age especially being so close to a convention centre, I have heard alot of stories about the owner of the figueroa hotel through peoples feedback from various travel sites so he does sound quite a character.

14. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    Yes, I've read some things about him on the TripAdvisor forum. I took a chance because of the location although I think there's another hotel across from it and down the block. (?) Anyway, he sounded pleasant and sane when I made the reservation back in May. I should have asked for an email confirmation then as well as calling once a month or every other month since this isn't a chain hotel and he is known to be eccentric. But eccentric or not, he's going to have to give me something in printed form so that I'll have peace of mind. I'm not traveling 2000 miles away from home only to be surprised to find myself homeless for six days in a strange city. No can do. [face_not_talking]

15. skywalker_1982

Dec 25, 2004
    Well I am the same I want to get it all sorted now than ever as I am coming from the uk and its nerve racking going all that way to a place I do not know, celebration europe has been pretty easy for me cause I know london.

16. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    That's really wonderful that you're able to go to both Celebrations. Looks like 2007 is going the be 'The Year of Star Wars.' Whoo-hoooo! [face_dancing]

17. skywalker_1982

Dec 25, 2004
    Well whats even more wonderful is I have got into the holiday inn across the street for C4 and also into the ibis hotel which is also across the street from earls court exhibition centre for celebration europe :cool: [face_dancing]
    Twice in a year opening curtains and seeing the street full of star wars fans like me cannot be bad.

18. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    If you are having trouble with Uno, ask to speak to Elyse when you call the FIg. She is the reservation agent and is quite professional and was very reassuring when I recently called and confirmed. :D

19. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks, Lufta! That's what I'll do tomorrow and then I'll rest easier.

20. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    I didn't have to call. I was sent an email confirmation today. Yay! [face_good_luck]

21. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    OK, let us in on your secret. How did you pull that one? How did you get to book the Holiday Inn? Lord knows many of us here in the Fig thread tried. Are you a SW Kingdom VIP or C4 vendor? :cool:

:D Lufta Shif

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I expect he went onto the website.... ;)

23. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    Ah yes, I just read about it on another thread in here that there is a website with rooms available at the Holiday Inn. My bad for not reading more threads before posting! [face_shame_on_you] Sorry about that.

I wonder why they just released them. Perhaps the event tix and hotel block release are right around the corner (as we know they are) and some rooms outside the block were let go?

We are getting closer folks!=D=

24. skywalker_1982

Dec 25, 2004
    I am not a vip or a c4 vendor I wish I was though :D
    I think it must have been the whole english thing I dunno

Heres my proof;
    Guest Name:
    BEN JACKSON
    Check-In: Fri 18 May 2007 at 03:00 PM
    Check-Out: Fri 1 Jun 2007 at 12:00 PM
    Hotel Info
    LOS ANGELES-CITY CTR(CONV CTR)
    Holiday Inn
    1020 SOUTH FIGUEROA
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90015
    1-213-7481291
    Driving Directions:
    TRAVEL S. ON 101 HOLLYWOOD FREEWAY, EXIT OLYMPIC, TRAVEL EAST. TRAVEL N. ON 110 HARBOR FWY, EXIT 9TH ST., TRAVEL EAST ALONG PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ROUTE (DASH).

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Very interesting. I'm not sure how anybody was able to reserve a room at the Holiday Inn beforehand. However, I did check their website over the weekend (just for the heck of it) and put in May 22nd - May 29th 2007 as the check-in / check-out dates. Room availability did show up, albeit at $189 per night. Just wanted to pass that info along...

But back to the Fig for a sec. I sent Uno an e-mail over the weekend confirming my room reservations (I'm booked for two rooms). He responded back confirming it along with my original confirmation number.

For those of us staying there, I would recommend confirming your room reservation(s) every few months or so just to be on the safe side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.