main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force at the Figueroa

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthBreezy, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    That was great, A_N! With that attitude, you'll do fine :).

2. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    [face_laugh] I can lay the pathos on thick. Somehow posting those niggling fears dispels them - somewhat.

3. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I think we all have that sort of fear, I am coming from Alaska and, although I will be standing in many lines, I know it will be great because C3, even with all the problems was great. Also, unlike C3, I didn't have an awesome group to hang out with at a hotel. This time I am staying at the fig and will be wearing the fig badge. WOOOHOOOO...LOL

PS. The scroll bar countdown is cool...LOL

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    The hotel that my wife and I stayed at for C3 really didn't have any fans there for the convention. It kind of stunk not having any fans to shoot the breeze with while we were at the hotel.

But that is all gonna change now for C4. With how many people from this board who are staying at the Figueroa, the fun & excitement will not end once you leave the LACC. It will carry right over to the Fig, which is a huge reason why I believe C4 is gonna blow away C3.

The wait till May 2007 is agonizing...

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    I kinda wish now we had thought about a Figueroa shirt.. with the caption "You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villany."

-GJ

6. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Apparel is always an extremely tough thing to do. So many sizes - how do you know what quantity to make for each size? Even if people request a certain size, you know how a Large in one shirt can sometimes fit like a Medium, and so on.

I think the Fig badges is the perfect idea. It's a "one size fits all" kind of thing and is gonna look sweeeeeeeet.

(BTW, that Mos Eisley caption was already done on the shirt with Vader's helmet on the front at C3. It said that on the back. That was my favorite shirt at C3!!)

7. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    It's simple! We did it with the 1st Gen Shirts. See the thread, Dude.

8. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Gotcha. Well, I still like the Fig badge idea as an alternative to T-shirts. It's a little more creative (actually, a LOT more creative). Just my opinion...

9. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh yes.. I know. The badge idea is fantasic and I can't wait. It was just an observation. I wasn't trying to take anything away from that. I just love that line in the movie.

-GJ

10. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    Hi, Figs! How are ya? :) It would have been nice if the Figueroa offered discount 'convention rates' but I suppose $135 is cheap anyway for LA. The fact that the hotel is so close to the convention center makes it worth the money even if I could book elsewhere for a cheaper rate. I'll just concentrate on trying to get a cheap round trip flight.

11. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    $135 a night is PSYCHO cheap. And you have NO idea what you'll be saving in parking! Downtown-hotel parking (and this is SELF parking, NOT valet) is $45 a day!!!! You might as well buy your car its own room... The Figueroa charges much, much less than this for parking.

The Parrot
    Caryn B.

12. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    The $135/night is cheaper than the discounted room we got in Indy for C3. We thought it was pretty reasonable. :D

13. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I agree - $135/night for a double room is a very fair price. My wife and I were shocked when we booked our room at the Fig and were given that price.

But we were going to C4 no matter what the rooms were fetching. $100, $200, $300 - didn't matter to us! Our Star Wars C4 budget knows no limits! We're gonna go on a Republic Credit shopping spree at C4!!! :p

14. Anapad Nabooine

Jun 19, 2005
    Wow! I had no idea... Guess I have nothing to complain about. :D

Parrot, I love your American Gothic Jedi icon!

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm just hoping that the new grocery store that is supposed to be built near the Fig is completed before we arrive there for C4. That will make buying "real food" (ie. no crappy/expensive convention food) so much easier and affordable. We plan on loading up our room fridge with fruits, cold cut sandwiches, and other snacks and then packing them each day for the hours spent at C4.

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Unfortunately according to the Downtown Business Association the store won't be finished until late in 2007 :(. I'm going to keep following this and see if anything changes.

17. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Bummer. I was really hoping it would be completed before C4.

Do you know if there are any other grocery stores within reasonable walking distance of the Figueroa Hotel?

18. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    Yeah, I too was hoping for a grocery store in safe walking distance. I survived C3 on SW Poptarts and Fruit Chews, with convention center pizza for lunches and a late night TGIF snacks every evening. I was pretty sick at the end since I normally eat well. Happy and in a SW bliss fog for days afterward, but sick. I was hoping to rectify that situation this time, but it looks like I might not be able to. Hmm... What is the Fig restaurant like, I wonder?

Lufta Shif

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The only "store" that can be associated with "grocery" is the Grand Central Market downtown, which hours I think are 9 AM to 5 PM, not real conducive for somebody at the convention center. There are some smaller places, but nothing within walking distance, I don't think. Once the weather cools off around here I'm planning some additional field trips, and we'll see what we can discover.

And I'm afraid I don't know anything about the restaurant at the Figueroa. I'll have to see if I can do some more scouting.

20. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Hmmm, seems like our options have run out. I guess my only other choice would be to grab a taxi and have him drive us to a grocery store in the nearby vicinity. I wasn't planning on renting a car during my trip to help cut down on the overall cost, and nor do I want to.

If it is too costly to hail a taxi and have them "wait" while I run into a grocery store, then I might be forced to live with the terrible convention food. The food at C3 was almost unbearable, with soggy hot dogs and bland hamburgers. One can only eat so much of that garbage before the ol' stomach tells you otherwise. I was hoping to have the choice of packing more nutritious and healthy foods for my trip (especially given the hours and hours we will be indoors at the convention), but it is sounding more & more like that will be extremely difficult to achieve.

21. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    That is what Tofu and I plan to do. Especially since there is no food court near by. LOL

22. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I think I can live off of McDonalds for a few days. I was hoping to get out to a decent resturant a few nights.. hopefully with some of you guys. That would be pretty cool.

-GJ

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    We're going to be there for 7 days, so Mickey D's might cut it for 1-2 days topps for us. I'm not a big fast food eater, which is why I was concerned about neighboring grocery stores for some "real food".

But I agree with you, we definitely got to have at least one night out at a restaurant for sure with fellow Figgers.

24. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    So, I am assuming there is a McD's near the Fig. I could manage that. I rarely have it, but in a pinch it would do fine.

Lufta

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The McDonald's site says there's a McDonald's on Figueroa right by the convention center, but I don't remember seeing it on my last field trip down there. I'll have to go down there and check again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.