main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Isn't the recent "new" though that now according to the story group that everything going forward (movies, TV, comics, novels, video games) will be incorporated into a single canon all at the same level of importance. Of course, I don't actually believe this, but it is what they are saying.

2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Its no doubt true that Disney doesn't care about continuity as much as the fans do, but they SHOULD care what the fans thing because they're the ones who are going to be buying the product. *shrug*

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not to forget that a good many of the Bantams had a listing and plot synopsis of the other novels at the back - as well as wording (something like - "Actions in one novel will have consequences in another").

Also not to forget the contents of Libraries and Second-hand (book)shops.

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    That's my point that the shelves at many stores could end up with the old stuff sitting there in the "Star Wars" section. I have to believe lot of books stores have piles of Star Wars stuff in their warehouses and will load the shelves with the old stuff once the new movies come out. They are not going to understand anything about old vs. new canon, they'll just want to sell off their inventory.

I would assume anything remaining in the canon would be reprinted with a new front matter removing the old timelines.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    They might come up with some sort of label to distinguish new materials from old EU.

I really hope it is a "Story Group Seal of Approval."

6. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    It'll no doubt be clearly labeled: "Official Adaption of Star Wars Episode VII"... "Official Tie-In to Star Wars Episode VII."

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hope they put these labels on stuff that has nothing to do with the films.

8. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I would doubt most stores have much if any Star Wars stuff that's on the shelves. They tend to not keep much on hand other than the big stuff and best-sellers rather than sit on inventory that they don't know will sell.

More often than not what they have on the shelves is about it, and they move it between stores in the chain (assuming it is a chain) to keep stock available where it needs to be and reorder as infrequently as possible.

And I doubt they'd reprint removing the timelines. Bantam novels have gone to new printings for over a decade now and haven't changed a thing.

9. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Oh, there will be the "Official Bedspread Set of Star Wars Episode VII."

That will happen.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If LFL doesn't have a problem with the old Clone Wars timeline, assuming it is still in the multimedia project related novels, and can basically tell us that timeline means nothing in the ERC, then I guarantee everyone they won't have any problems with the existing novel timeline no matter what they do.

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    So, we have have gone from a Chicken, to a Horse, and now a Mouse.

I blame the zoological influence on the sad state of Star Wars canon...

Darth_Henning and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That wouldn't surprise me, if I'm honest. Ever since they announced spin-off films to fill the gaps between Episodes, I've resigned myself to expecting 90% of the non-film output to be direct tie-ins of one form or another.

I mean, if Star Wars: Boba Fett came out as a movie tomorrow, there isn't not going to be a novelisation, a graphic novel, some spin-offs, the Boba Fett Video Game, and all the other assorted merchandising.

son_of_skywalker03 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    A week ago (before recent twitts from Leland) I was watching credits for SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter (I was just bored) and I noticed that Story Group is mentioned over there:

[​IMG]

Today I checked if Story Team is also mentioned in Rise of the Hutt Cartel credits, but it's not, just Leland as "Keeper of the Holocron".

14. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Story Group to Story Team, iz az Grape Juice to Grape Drank

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it is being overblown to what extent the EU will be purely spinoff material. EA and Disney announced that future Star Wars games will explicitly not be adaptations but their own original works.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/st...ir-own-franchises-by-lucasfilm-ea-1200860159/

FFG will have the game license for a long time to come and they aren't producing direct tie in stuff, at least that they've announced, but thus far they have produced their own material.

I think that this idea that the novels, comics, games, et al. will just be adaptations of the films is pretty contrary to the whole point of the "story group" because why would they need story watchdogs if the story is just an adaptation? And for EA and FFG, at least, one gets the impression that they're still going to be producing material not directly related to any upcoming films.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, I'm not expecting just adaptations, but I expect everything to be closely tied to the new films in some way, rather than distant offshoots like TOTJ or LEGACY like we enjoyed in the past.

In other words, until Episode 9 is done, I imagine the primary bookline will be equivalent to the Clone Wars run that we had in the early 2000s (i.e. instead of Anakin and Obi-Wan's ongoing adventures, it'll be [Insert Film Protagonists]), and that any "other stuff" will be tied to the "other films", like the Han Solo one, or Boba Fett one, or whatever else they plan -- that doesn't just mean "Boba Fett: The Movie Novelisation" but simply books about that film's other characters, settings, antagonists.

Think Splinter of the Mind's Eye or Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. I foresee books like that, rather than books like Into the Void.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If there's an Exar Kun movie, will he still have a blue saber and will the galaxy still have the technology shown in TOTJ as opposed to the technology shown in KOTOR?

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Umm, hopefully, but...how would we know? :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    If they make a Crystal Star movie, will Waru be CG or practical effects?!

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If they make a KOTOR movie, would Darth Malak be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger?!?

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Waru requires no CGI or practical effects... those are false idols, shame on you for even suggesting that. [face_shame_on_you]

The great Waru will appear to all true believers WITHOUT the need for fanciful special effects.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And will there be smell-o-vision.

23. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Waru can be played by... Waru himself! Isn't he trans-dimensional? We could get him to somehow travel from his dimension/universe to ours eventually.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yes but we do not speak for the majority of the fanbase, were just idiotic fanatics.

CooperTFN, Gamiel and DigitalMessiah like this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.