main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Todd from Breaking Bad. The most punchable character on television. Well, maybe after Prince Joffrey.

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Obligatory:
    [​IMG]

3. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    He's got more of a Sal-Solo relative-type vibe to me...

4. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

And the Friday Night Lights talking. He killed a dude for Tara.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Still no wiser. :p

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  6. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Rather than quote all of @HEDGESMFG's insightful post about possible outcomes for the EU, I'm just going to admit that's one of the better analyses of the possibilities that exist for the EU.

I hope that we'll see number 3 (reboot after NJO), but am prepared to be disappointed.

Personally, if they're keeping the EU, I think this is the best option. It fits well with how old the Big 3 are, and keeps the EU almost completely intact, only knocking out two series that were widely disliked anyway.

Riptide and Crosscurrent can be saved as there's no reference to those, and to salvage MF and MK all you need to do is write a one-shot novel that elects a new Chief of State with the last name Daala (doesn't have to be the Daala we know) who tries to prosecute Luke, rehaul the administration and the military, and involves a new form of the Lescerson Conspiracy.

DN I could see going either way in this scenario.

Given that at the end of TUF Lowie and Lumpy take over Chewie's life debt, we could still give Han a wookiee, and at some point he just needs to pull said wookiee out of the path of a blaster (or something) and say "your dad/uncle gave his life to save my son. You're not going to die on me too." (which would be a fitting line for a crusty old Ford).

Though Chewie being retconned alive (perhaps even in the above suggested one-shot) would be acceptable too.

The only really difficult thing to explain would be if they show Leia's Noghri.

There is a growing number of fans (myself one of the more vocal) who feel this way.

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Obviously a biased writer (and one whom I wish to punch):

:mad:

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah because just Lucas adding to Star Wars added nothing bad to it.

10. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

Screw this guy. I hate people who just throw out the term Mary Sue-this Mary sue-that.

Also, really man? They're "often-literally-vomit-inducing tie-in novels." Really?

11. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I can get people being annoyed by stories, but world building like the lightsaber forms? Are they screwy?

12. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Opinions are the cheapest commodity on earth... Can't say I agree with that article in any way really. There are plenty of novels, comics and games I liked more than the prequels.

One other option regarding the EU is that they will sort of start over, but draw a lot of elements from the existing EU. Like maybe the Thrawn Trilogy happened, only it was ____ Solo born instead of Jacen and Jaina....and Ahsoka arm-wrestled Thrawn. I'm not fond of this idea because of how confusing it will be for a Star Wars EU newcomer, but you never know. And I think there should be some level of respect for the work that has made Star Wars what it is today, warts and all. All I can say is I want them to announce something concrete already!

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This is pretty much what happened when the prequels were released, and frankly it wouldn't surprise me.

And I think stuff like SWTOR is probably safe because EA apparently has a decade long license and is running the game still.

14. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    My opinion about the EU future is well known.

But that completely aside right now, if someone has a rational argument about why it won't work, or why a stylistic choice can be made to rewrite it, or something remotely informed and reasonable, I'm willing to respect their opinion even if I disagree with it.

But of all the articles regarding Cannon thus far, this is the worst written, most ill-informed, deliberately bating, disrespectful piece of **** that has been put on the web. Seriously **** whoever wrote that.

15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    And much like every other commodity on earth, they can spoil if the one who manufactures them is no good.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The authors tone is not surprising. Everyone has an opinion these days, even on subjects they clearly have no first-hand knowledge of.

WMIRTUTSF and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  17. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    World building is just geekery minutia. Who needs that stuff anyway? Having a fleshed out universe just makes it harder for people to work.

This.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You should work for DC.

19. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    Don't I wish...

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    lol journalism

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd be more inclined to respect the opinion of someone who thought the EU was crap if their opinion was predicated upon reading it all rather than... apparently not.

That said if the guy just read the most recent offerings in uberplot from Del Rey I can understand his position.

lol

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  22. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I actually misread that, it's not as funny as I thought. This part is, though:
    Not bashing Leland or anything, but what qualifies him as someone who intimately understands Star Wars? Because author thinks he wants to get rid of the EU? His entire job is based on the EU.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    He wrote the entire article without knowing what he's talking about. It shouldn't be any surprise that he doesn't know anything about Chee or what his job is, either.

24. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    My best guess is because his job is to literally read everything Star Wars and then pull out every minute detail from it. (how the heck did he get that lucky? lol)

But really, that's a groundless statement. Like,, oh 90% of that article?

Of all the people who work for Disney and LFL, he's probably the least likely to want to scrap the EU in whole or in part.

25. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I know, it's great. You can tell he's never read an entire EU work in his life and is just basing his opinions on what people have told him and research on Wookieepedia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.