main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder if the guy would be praising Chee if he knew he was probably the biggest EU fan that there is, and I am guessing if it were truly up to Chee he'd keep everything.

2. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Somehow I doubt he even used wookieepedia. More like a google search and skim the results.

Contessa likes this.
  3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Remember when LucasArts collaborated with Timothy Zahn to produce that series called Thrawn, which was about a guy named Admiral Thrawn after the Empire had already fallen? That was the only EU work ever authorized by LucasArts.

4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    How is Disney supposed to categorize the Star Wars canon now that they've closed down LucasArts with their database?

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Maybe they'll have a brand new standard?

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Oh look, another highly uninformed opinion. How refreshing. Seriously, for those still unsure if it is possible for an opinion to be wrong, take a browse through that "article."

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Kindly exercise some quality assurance on these links you post please and don't bother with rubbish like this, your others were of far superior quality! This one is an exercise in hyperbole overload masquerading as reasonable opinion.

CooperTFN and RC-1991 like this.
  9. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Suddenly a fleshed out universe is a bad thing? Like you said it's geeky minutia, which would mean that the writers who are actually writing legitimate stories and what not DON'T CARE and won't be hindered by them.

Heck, stories revolving around stuff like the Lightsaber forms, the establishment of Sienar, or establishment of the Hydian way are pretty much done in the Essential Guides already. It's not like we're getting a novella that'll delve into how Jedi saw blasters as uncivilized weapons or anything.

I'm willing to be that all this world building will not be erased once we get into the new EU and it'll be kept the way it is.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Has my snark been too stealthy for my own good...?

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You're all terrible people and I'm embarrassed to have ever interacted with any of you.

BigAl6ft6 and CooperTFN like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What always irks me with that is how they only seem to hate it with Star Wars.

Marvel? People normally enjoy the idea of this big universe, links between films, etc.
    Halo? Even the video games themselves have incorporated stuff from the novels at times.

But Star Wars? Bah! Expanded Universe! Hate! Hate! Hate!

Sure, Marvel and Halo have been more open to altering things, but the mainstream media have still enjoyed the idea of a big universe... something so many of these news websites so vehemently attack with Star Wars. (Sure, the EU has some clangers... but name me a franchise that hasn't?)

I never particularly enjoyed the idea the Master Chief wasn't the last Spartan... then Bungie went and made a whole spin-off game based off the Spartan III program that the novels invented. But journalists were perfectly receptive to that, when with any darksiders after Endor they cry bloody murder.

13. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Harry Potter is slowly doing it as well with Pottermore and nobody has issues with that either.

I suppose it just boils down to the sad truth; people love to hate on Star Wars because they thinks totally da kewlest thang evar.

son_of_skywalker03 and Zorrixor like this.
  14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't the concept of different Lightsaber Forms come from the RotS script - thus direct from GL? They were certainly mentioned in the novelisation, both during the Dooku boss-fight and when Mace was talking to Obi-Wan before he left to deal with Grievous.

15. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Possibly, but I definitely remember first mention of Lightsaber forms in Insider #62. To my recollection that was the first time that the lightsaber forms were established to be seven and each have their own styles and whatnot

But I believe Vaapad as a name and variant of Form VII came around with the ROTS novelization. But Insider #62 also gave other stuff, like the names of the marks of contact, and why the Sith used red blades. Dun Moch also got its name here.

And I suddenly remembered why I love the Insiders. They gave so much awesome world building stuff.

16. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    In the event we lose everything post-ROTJ, I would like to hope that one of the upcoming TV shows would be an animated show that adapted the best stories from the old EU into the new continuity with any changes necessary to make them fit. Otherwise it is going to be this weird system where the names of planets and ships and other things are used in the new EU, but the source of those names may no longer be canon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    So, Waru may be a human in this new EU?

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Why not? Durge was made into a human in THIS continuity :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    A much better take on the Story Group, one I think people will enjoy, compared to the train wreck from before
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57616851-1/who-decides-star-wars-canon-meet-the-story-group/

From FB

[​IMG]

The Cost of Star Wars Fandom shared Dark Horse Comics'sphoto.

7 hours ago

This is exactly why Star Wars movies will make more use of the Expanded Universe over the next few years, as Disney will use it in a way that Lucasfilm didn't.

Firstly, the practice of using expanded universe themes, story/character elements seems to be getting more common now in TV sci fi serials that command their own merchandise via books and comics.

Aside from the movies, SW has been generated for a long time now by its own EU plethora of stories. Whereas we probably won't see direct copies of say, The Thrawn Trilogy, there may well be elements that appear from them as Disney starts to really get underway with their era of SW.

From a marketing point of view, better to have a movie of which the hard core fans can instantly recognise a character or story element they've read. And to the casual fans, it's a new, original story, but also designed to encourage them to buy and read the comics.

Disney aren't investing in the switch to Marvel so they can just dump the EU in a garbage chute. Far from it. Dark Horse have produced much exellent work regarding their SW comics over the years. And Disney want a slice of the same. So why the switch? The cynical among us will be quick to point out that Disney of course invest in Marvel.

But it's also more generated by accessibility. Especially if they're to capture the attention for the casual fans. Not everyone will have heard of Dark Horse, but will be instantly familiar with Marvel. Especially as they're the spiritual home for SW comics in the first place.

So count on it that we're going to be seeing quite a lot of use in some form or another of Expanded Universe ideas in Disney's SW movies, and vice versa. It's the way things are being done these days after all.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Amusing thought, someone only now being able to find a Star Wars comic book because they didn't know Dark Horse but know Marvel.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Interesting that it comes out now, when the Infinities is over 10 years old.

It was mandated that the heroes have to win even if it was Infinities. If there had been prequel infinities, would Palpatine have won in all of them?

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
  24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

thats one of the few things i am happy about is the loss of LOTF comics

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    While I doubt it'd be a huge number, I must admit I wouldn't be surprise if there are some people who have been like that, and just think "Who are these guys? Don't know the names. Must suck."

Lots of people are like that with films, video games and novels if they're "only" a small indy release with no big star names, so I guess the same must apply to comics, even if only to a lesser extent (given comics are a smaller niche market to start with).

Obviously, the STAR WARS title should be its own pulling power... but sadly, I suspect there's a lot of truth in Darth Xalfrea's comment about how its "cool to hate EU" and people just thinking: "Huh? That lame Star Wars EU stuff? And this no-name publisher? Not Marvel? Screw wasting money on that." I've certainly had a lot of gaming friends who have loved KOTOR or Jedi Knight or TOR, but who won't touch the EU with a barge pole (yet they play TOR... ironic).

Outside people here on Lit, I know nobody who has even heard of the Mass Effect comics either, let alone read them. Even when they've been way bigger ME junkies than me, for whom it's just been a passing RPG interest that I've played and moved on from.

It's a shame Brian Wood has only done a OT series, as I was going to say "Maybe it'd be interesting to compare his figures with those by someone like JJM that most wouldn't recognise?" But Star Wood has the added mainstream attraction of when its set, so it becomes hard to pin down how much is Wood's name on the cover and how much the familiar movie setting. But if Brian Wood had been able to then go on and do, say, a Legacy spin-off or something tied to TOR? It'd have been curious how much his name pulled readers with it, even had he plunged into oh noes! That awful Star Wars Expanded Universe stuff! Yuck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.