main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    ANH Novelisation had given it away years earlier, in any case.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, I think there's a difference between expecting people not to realize it and not having the narrative acknowledge it.

3. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

That is pretty much what all the threads on this forum are like where the content being talked about has yet to air. Posters talk about what they want to see, what they don't want to see......wash, rinse, repeat.......for hundreds of pages.

What is amazing about this forum is that people seem to never get tired of the washing, rinsing, and repeating.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But that is what Senator Palpatine's evil twin brother who stole his identity wanted you to think!

purplerain and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You know, if Moffat had been writing the prequels, that's pretty much certainly how things would have gone.

"What do you mean you KNOW the Eighth Doctor fought in the Time War? YOU KNOW NOTHING!"

TrandoJedi and Zorrixor like this.
  6. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If Moffat was writing it, he would have had Anakin capture Mortis and it become his TARDIS that he uses to reappear in Episode 7 and be the Hero Without Fear for the Sequel Trilogy, before transporting back in time to ROTS and becoming Darth Vader to fulfil the Prophecy that he had fixed in time through having already now been Grand Master Anakin Skywalker in 40 ABY.

Edit: Oh, and Grand Master Skywalker would have had a bow-tie. [​IMG]

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is, most Prequels want to throw in something new that nevertheless syncs up with the story it's leading to, therefore the notion of the PT being a double tragedy, that the Sidious = Palpatine doesn't play out how we expect wasn't that crazy a line of thought. Consider: Palpatine actually did act as a good politician, he did do what he could to protect Naboo, then ultimately ends up possessed or replaced by Sidious. Just as any of the good Anakin Skywalker did is destroyed by his becoming Vader, so too is Palpatin's name linked to infamy by Sidious.

Oh and C_B? That Keep Calm riff is far, far too British for you volatile Americans! [face_devil]

Time to return to the Darth Plagueis theory. Why should Plagueis be the villain? Because he was mentioned in Ep3. You watch SW, there's Vader and Tarkin, jump to ESB and there's the Emperor in hologram, jump to ROTJ, the Emperor arrives properly, TPM gives us Maul and Sidious, then there's Sidious and Dooku, what better way to set up an Ep 7 revelation of Sidious being fooled by his master then Sidious mentioning him in Ep 3? It's quite tidy and I just like the idea of Luke and the gang having to go up against the Sith who taught Sidious.

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Although, Plagueis is weaker than Palpatine, so he won't be as big of a threat. Actually, that might not be the case. He's smart and could do a lot of damage without being as strong in the force. Also, I agree, seeing Plaguies would be awesome.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Plagueis' talent was in business; Palpatine's was in politics.

I don't want either of them in the ST because they both died, but I wouldn't mind a spin-off using this dynamic.

Odolwa likes this.
  11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That's always been the basis of my suspicions, too, yeah. Lucas is often pretty... predictable, in that respect.

It also plays into the Fathers and Sons motif that has kinda tied the saga together, only here you'd have the Sith's Father fighting the Jedi's Son, metaphorically that is.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tit, tut! [face_shame_on_you] Remember the no body, no death rule! Plus, in-film terms, we only have Sidious' word for that and he ain't exactly trustworthy.

Yet the business angle would also fit the current climate, when SW came out in '77, the USSR was very much a real enemy, the Cold War in full swing - now the main adversaries, such as they are, are amoral multinational corporations caring only for profit. Of course, it'd take some serious nerve to go down this route!

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    From the Opera scene

IAN MCDIARMID
    Did you know that those who embrace the Dark Side have a lot of powers that Jedi do not? For example, they can influence that midichlorian bullsh#@# to create life.
    HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
    Create life? Wait, are you implying that my supposed virgin birth was--
    IAN MCDIARMID
    And they can stop others from dying.
    HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
    Stop others? Like, if someone force chokes them and they start to die because of it hours later?
    IAN MCDIARMID
    Yup.
    HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
    That's distracting enough that I'll not bother following up on the other thing you said.

darthcaedus1138 and Zorrixor like this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    When Lucas allegedly wrote these treatments for Episodes 7, 8, and 9, Plagueis didn't exist though. I doubt he existed until like 2003 or 2004.

15. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is that from an earlier draft?

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hope so.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Weren't Episodes 7,8,9 originally written to feature the Death Star, the Emperor, and Luke's sister (not Leia) and then just condensed into RotJ because GL got bored.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    DigitalMessiah

From here :)

http://www.the-editing-room.com/revengeofthesith.html

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I knew where it was from -- the use of the actors' names instead of the characters is a giveaway.

I still hope it was in an earlier draft.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    No no, he had this all planned out since 1977. Just ask the man himself.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

We have ourselves the antagonist. [face_devil]

Less sarcastically, I agree that something like that would make the story more contemporary; it doesn't even necessarily require that much nerve, as you see corrupt corporations in superhero stories. It's whether it'd be exciting enough would be the major problem in my eyes more, as RePlanetHab being run by Lumiya isn't quite as exciting a premise as the Supreme Chancellor himself overthrowing his own government. It's what still has me half expecting something Mortis-like, and more metaphysical, which could feasibly again work for Plagueis the immortal -- as much as I adore the novel and it's one of my absolute favourites, I'm pretty resigned to the "film Plagueis" being his own character if they did choose to use him.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

No need to ask, it's all there in the notebook.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm willing to believe he wrote extremely short treatments for a sequel trilogy around 1983.

I sorta suspect the prequel trilogy isn't a good gauge of his planning, because I'm really willing to believe that Lucas planned all the political backstory and other background stuff ahead of time and just never actually really gave it much attention in the film once he decided to make it about Anakin.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not so certain Zorr, I could easily see the US right-wing jumping all over a SW story that has a corporation as its central villain, likely declaring it commie and anti-business and "liberal". Now I'd love it for Disney to actually take on those idiots, but I'm sceptical it'd happen.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just wait until Disney reveals that Luke Skywalker is gay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.