main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Discussion -There Be Spoilers Here

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I may be completely wrong here, because I don't follow these things too closely, but my impression was that Rogue One is the story of the theft of the Death Star plans and takes place before ANH?

2. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    *googles*

. . . oh dear.

Perhaps I have been overly paranoid in my need to be spoiler-free for future Star Wars films. Either that or my brain has been inhabiting an alternate timeline for quite a while now. Someone revoke my SW geek privileges NOW. [face_egged_like_you_wouldn't_believe]

jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Rogue One takes place before A New Hope. EpVIII is after TFA b

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    3.5, then?

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    For the present, yeah.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, so if I read or hear that the TFA actors are in "Episode VIII", that should be okay, but if the media says they are in the "next Star Wars film", that would be when a journalist could be in error?

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. I hate it when people use 'the next SW film'. It's rather confusing and bad journalism since we are now getting proper 'episodes' mixed with anthology films. Though, I think filming for Rogue One is complete (or close to it) so you should be able to get a full cast list from IMDB.

And, yeah, Rogue One takes place in the months leading up to ANH, so it's kinda more like a direct prequel :p So I'm calling it Episode 3.9 since we are also getting a Han Solo anthology movie (please no) in between ROTS and ANH at approximately the half way point (so that will be more like 3.5) AND there are rumours of Ewan McGregor returning for an Obi-Wan anthology post-Sith (oh, please let it happen. Take all my money now).

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't want a Han Solo movie, but Obi-Wan post-RotS? YES GIMME!

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm normally one of those people who are enthusiastic about anything Star Wars, but someone else than Harrison Ford playing Han is where I draw the line.

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    But how else do you cast a young Han Solo nowadays?

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree. It's one thing to recast Obi-Wan as a young guy since, in the OT, we only saw him older, BUT WE HAVE ALREADY HAD A YOUNG HAN SOLO! Plus Han Solo is SOOO linked to being played by Harrison Ford.

I do not like it.

Dantana Skywalker and Chyntuck like this.
  13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If they cast a young Han Solo well, I think it can be done. With X-Men: First Class, I didn't think anyone would be able to play those characters just as well as Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, but they found the perfect people and not only does it work, it works really well. Yes, Han is more iconic than Professor X and Magneto, at least with regards to movies, but it give me hope they can do it well.

I really just want the book Kenobi by JJM to be one of the Obi-wan Anthology movies.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Gamiel like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I just want Ewan McGregor back. He was my favourite part of the PT and he seems more than willing to work with Disney. They did have him back for TFA (he did a few lines during Rey's vision).

I think they may be trying to experiment with this whole Han Solo thing. If they can re-cast Han Solo, they could recast Luke and Leia and do movies in between ROTJ and TFA and I don't really want that.

brodiew and Dantana Skywalker like this.
  16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I completely agree on that, I thought that Michael Fassbender in particular was a perfect choice, but as Bri said the difference is that we've already seen young Han in the OT, so that complicates things. Don't get me wrong, I'll go and see the movie if and when it's made, but this is one of the few parameters that could give me misgivings about a SW film before I'm even sure it exists. I'd much rather they bring in a really, really good author to write a few novels about Han instead.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. Plus. Prof X and Magneto both existed on paper (long) before Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen portrayed them. And they were both in their early 60s when the first X-Men came out (much like Sir Alec in ANH).

However, with this new Han Solo movie, they are re-casting Han Solo to be approximately 20. Harrison Ford was only 34 when they made ANH (and he could have passed for a younger man). Then you have the fact that he basically made Han Solo (I'm not against recasting, but there is something iconic about Harrison Ford as Han Solo, especially now that we have Solo's death as done by Ford).

But, like Chyn, I'll go and see it (though perhaps not opening night). But my expectations are set low and I'm wary. And yeah, I would have much more preferred a Han Solo cartoon or book-set and let the big movie guys make a film with new characters (because, come on, you are going into the movie knowing Han will get out of whatever situation).

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My potential concern about a Han Solo anthology film is where or not I will care about the character at all. What would be more interesting to me, even through the lens of a younger Solo, is the greater GFFA. Imperials, Bounty Hunters, and bar scenes...Oh my!

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    True. I am going to be looking forward to seeing the GFFA as ruled by the Empire at its might and prime, from the POV of an average citizen (more or less).

And some great Wookiee action!

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    When is the DVD coming out? We're thinking of going (again) to see TFA in the cinema tonight, because it looks as if this is the last week, but it's so bloody cold that staying near the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate is seriously tempting too.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It's only been out a little over a month. Is it really leaving the theatre this soon? Avatar was in theatres six months.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The DVD/Blu-Ray comes out April 5th (I have it preordered :p )

And, yeah, this is the last week for TFA in my town. We have a smaller theatre so for a movie to stay over a month is a big deal.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Huh. Ours usually keeps the big ones two months, sometimes three.

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Is there definitely going to be an actual DVD? We didn't get a Blu-Ray player yet.

brodiew likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I can't imagine there won't be. Just the DVDs have definitely gotten harder to find (my mother had a heck of a time finding the Martian on just DVD), but they haven't gotten replaced.

But I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital copy pack (simply because it wasn't much more than just the Blu-Ray alone, then my family gets the DVD) so there should be just the DVDs.

EDIT: Also, don't take my April 5th date as in blood. I was looking around for just a DVD pre-order. I oddly couldn't find one (though it is rather early yet) but everywhere is saying that there has been no release date for the Blu-Ray/DVD. I could have sworn that I saw an official source say April 5th, and that was the date given for my pre-order, now I can't find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.