main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens - teaser trailer #2

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 16, 2015.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree that these felt weird (even though the visuals were neat). But in the context of the movie they might make perfect sense, so I'm trying to be optimistic about it :)

Dewback, jaqen and Skellybobs like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Wouldn't Vader's helmet just be charred from the funeral pyre?

3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I'm a bit at odds.

Really liked the new teaser. Agree with most comments about the ruined spaceships and the photography and digital coloring. Love that there's no sign of lens glare on every take. Still worry about the handheld "shaky" effects. I think it's plausible that Luke/Anakin's LS resurfaces if we assume there were scavengers on Bespin.

Some things that worry me:

- Is it just me or are there too many characters?, is the story going to be up-close and personal like the OT or detached like the PT.
    - Why are there still storm-troopers and tie-fighters after 30 years?
    - How do the Sith presumably come back. I know the whole Light/Dark balance of the Force has been diluted somewhat based on what happened in the EU and tv shows (E.g. Rebels) but still within the movie canon I hope it makes sense. I hope we are not left with a HUGE plot hole by having other Jedi surviving the Purge (other than OB1 and Yoda) or other Sith factions that were unknown.
    - After 17 years (the time between EpIII and EpIV) the design of all the fighters and imperial craft was completely different, yet in the 30 years since EpVI they look the same.

I was totally spoiled for Episode III and that really took away from my enjoyment of the film. I knew how cheesy and how poor certain things were going to be handled in EPIII, and then going to the theater and watching it was really bad. And I liked EPI and EPII.!

The visuals look really good. Now just hoping for a great story to go along with it. I have some reservations about the bad guy/guys, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Vader's helmet. Methinks this may have something to do with the guy with the mask and the red light sword.

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I disagree on the charred helmet. It looks cool/creepy as all get out.

I'm actually not rooting for Jedi Leia, far more interested in her developing in the military and/or political realm. Some Force moment, yes, but not full blown Jedi. But even if she is a Jedi what makes you assume it's recent?

I totally agree on the saber. I'm hoping it works in the context of the story, but the idea that Luke's lightsaber from TESB got caught is making a comeback is just absurdly far fetched. That's like little Anakin's japor snippet coming back as a plot point.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Not until Episode IX ;)

Darkslayer, TheYodaPagoda and jaqen like this.
  6. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It has a really good feel to it I think. I just hope they don't over-reach in terms of hitting all the Star Wars bases, rather than just telling a story.

Alienware likes this.
  8. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Vader's half-melted helmet looks badass.

The helmet and saber will all make sense in the context of the story.

I don't want to see Leia as a full-on Jedi but rather something like a Jedi elder of sorts, who's also a politician.

It looks to me like they'll going in a unique direction, which pleases me greatly.

So many stunning visuals in this preview - everything looks so ****ing cool. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the quick zooms. hopefully there won't be too many more of them in the final thing.

9. Death_Jar_Jar

Apr 30, 2014
    For some reason I didn't like when the new sith guy did a force push type of thing into the camera. Maybe it will seem less cheesy when seen in context.

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Zack Snyder/BvS is an attention whore. They did something similar with the first teaser.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm hoping for the latter, really.

12. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Here's my response to "The Bad"
    The lightsaber is reappearing for US after 30+ years, there's no reason for us to deduce it was recently recovered.
    What's stopping Leia from being a full-fledged Jedi right now?
    Seeing that Vader helmet melted like that (and seeing the skull beneath) was so visceral. There has GOT to be a reason we saw it.

I think that, as Dumbledore succinctly stated, "the japor snippet was only ever a japor snippet."

Dewback likes this.
  13. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    Why so certain it's Luke?

14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I guess there's no guarantee that it's Luke, but he's definitely the best bet. R2 is his droid, he's missing a hand...

The most interesting thing is that he appears to be in hiding. It's leaving me to assume that, for the time being, Luke doesn't have a full fledged Jedi Order in the making. Who knows if he even trained any Jedi yet? I'm going to assume that the birth of these new factions that bear resemblance to the Rebels and the Empire of old might have tipped the scale of galactic politics and forced Luke into hiding. Maybe there is a Republic, slowly building, out there as well...

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder if the remaining Imperial government put a mark on Luke for "Palpatine and Vader's murder" or something, and that's why he's in hiding.

If it is indeed him.

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Can't speak for anyone else but my issue isn't when the saber was recovered, it's that it was recovered at all.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, exactly.

And I don't want a lot of symbolism or weird philosophical stuff, and that's my concern about Vader's helmet.

I'm hoping the movie does a Dumbledore and it's just a helmet, and there's a good reason why it was recovered.

jaqen likes this.
  18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It's really strange having the saber and Vader's helmet around, but you know what, I'm all for giving anything a try. It is extremely interesting having those two strong remnants of of Anakin/Vader making their way into the new installment of the saga, and even more interesting is the conflicting values that the two items have have. The lightsaber is explicitly linked to Anakin and Luke, and thus has a light quality to it, while the helmet is dark and directly of Darth Vader. It's a pretty blatant contrast but, on a micro level, is extremely representative of the core conflict within the saga present in numerous characters (though most distinctly within Anakin/Vader): the conflict within oneself.

We're already seeing a bit of this realized with Finn as is seemingly defects from the Imperial remnant to join the forces of good.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I tend to agree, there's gotta be some sort of meaning to the two artifacts. I think both will be used by someone, the lightsaber probably by Leia as she discovers her force legacy, the mask for a nefarious purpose by the villains.

20. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    It's a good trailer. I'm not quite getting why people are crying over it (!) but it looks like they've really made this one for Fans Of A Certain Age who didn't like the prequels. As always, JJ's imagery leaves me flat. To be honest it looks like video game design to me. But it seems like it's going to be exciting and fun. I'd rather have had GL's E7 but I'll probably walk out of the first viewing loving it. Kylo Ren is growing on me - I think he might be an alien under that mask, the chin piece seems to be accommodating some kind of alien facial structure. Maybe he's an old EU Sith? Overall it seems like they're distancing themselves from the PT & TCW and focusing on referencing the OT while amping everything up to 21st century action movie standards. Very safe, very conservative but probably the smartest move in terms of making this a continuing, competitive franchise. I'll certainly be there opening night!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My father has it - Vader's helmet.
    I have it - Cloaked guy touching R2 with a robotic hand. Don't think it's too much to assume that's Luke.
    My sister has it - feminine hand reaching for Anakin's lightsaber - yup, you better believe I think that's Leia passing that family heirloom to her daughter.
    You have that power too. Since the trailer mainly focuses on Ridley and Boyega, I'm guessing that's a lock that Ridley is Han and Leia's force-sensitive daughter.

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  22. Death_Jar_Jar

Apr 30, 2014
    Really? I thought this mostly had a very classical look, especially the opening shot. I'll admit though that the quick zooms on the ships look very video game cutscene\amateur sci-fi channel show

23. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Death_Jar_Jar I didn't mean it looked like an actual video game but that the designs would not look out of place in a modern big budget video game. Kylo Ren actually looks like he could have stepped out of TOR. Ditto the troopers etc. GL's "eye" is definitely missing here, the nuances he brings to his visuals.

24. Death_Jar_Jar

Apr 30, 2014
    Have to agree with those two examples you gave. I don't mind the troopers that much since they at least tried something different, but yeah Kylo is disappointing so far when compared to the previous films' sith. I'd rather have a simple looking villain like Dooku than a generic cyborg one.

EternalHero likes this.
  25. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I loved the trailer. LOVED IT. And contrary to some people's predictions, my head didn't cave in at the sight of seeing Han with grey hair. I thought he looked great, and it wasn't jarring at all. I was just all "Omgomgomg, Han and Chewie. Together. In the Falcon." Too great.

Also, I'm not convinced Leia will be a Jedi in this film. I get the feeling she's being handed someone else's light saber. Maybe Luke's? I think that clip was used because it was the only thing that really went with the voice over, as far as Leia is concerned. But that's just my theory.

I LOVED the shot of Luke and Artoo. Besides Han, that might be my favorite part, although admittedly this trailer was chock full of beautiful/exciting shots.

I didn't know if it was possible, but I think I"m even more excited than I was after the November trailer dropped.