main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I don't have a problem with it simply because it is realistic that conflicts get dragged out over the course of many many years. Just take the past century of wars in real life. We were fighting against Germany and its allies in WWI and then thirty years later we're fighting against Germany and its allies again. Germany just silently and slowly rebuilt itself over the years.

We fought a cold war with the Soviets for almost fifty years. Now we're fighting a war against terrorism that will likely never end.

Depends. I think it will (should) definitely take longer than what the EU depicted (where the Order was strong enough to go to war against an alien invasion after only about twenty years).

I personally have a feeling that Ep. X-XII will take place a couple hundred years after this trilogy where the Jedi Order is strong again (and I think it will take that long for it to realistically get going).

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah. Pretty sure they're NOT going the TOR Revan route ( he split into Dark!Revan and Light!Revan, with Light!Revan being the ghost, and Dark!Revan keeping a physical form).

But the idea of Snoke intentionally appearing AS an idealized unmasked purified essence of Dark!Vader is very intriguing to me. Adds to the manipulation.

Especially intriguing if Kylo Ren recognizes this is the case.

BobaMatt and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Smashed Helmet represents to Kylo Vader's failure - and Kylo's fear of his own failure.
    Snoke's visage represents Vader's (and Kylo's) unhindered potential.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm kind of disappointed there's an actual story there.

I was hoping Mas' story was, "I bought it from a Ugnaught on Bespin. He thought it was a fusion torch."

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    And that's exactly where I'm arguing your comparison of the Han/Ben scene in TFA to the Obi-Wan/Vader scene in ANH falls down as well - they are nothing but very superficially similar to one another. The former isn't even actually a fight. In fact, since the ANH fight doesn't take place on a bridge, the TFA scene may have even more in common with LotR.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's no way they could make Snoke into a new alias of an 80-year-old Anakin/Vader... right?

Now that I see the resemblance, even the same scars on the cheek (though it's more shadowy and sunken on Snoke), I just can't unsee it. There's no way it could even be Snoke possessing Anakin's dead body, since we saw Luke burn it along with the mask, right?

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So...I made a thing.

[​IMG]

I'm so ashamed.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They don't actually look THAT alike.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Although the TOR Revan route would explain a ghost seen in certain versions of ROTJ. ;)

Taalcon and Dawud786 like this.
  10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I still prefer old bushy brow Anakin to Haydenakin. Haydenakin has a creepy smile on his face and looks way out of place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Agreed. In addition to Haydenakin not making sense to me, couldn't they at least have had him look at the camera and give a warm, loving smile like Shaw did?

Then again, which Anakin we prefer isn't exactly on-topic.

Abadacus and Dawud786 like this.
  12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Yeah, he has that creepy leer on his face from AOTC. The only he always gave Padme.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    What if Snoke did it on purpose?

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    BTW, if they are still up in the air about Snoke's race, I'm calling Umbaren.

Snoke is Emperor Palpatine's child with Sly Moore.

Which...actually would work.

In any place but the movies because no one has any idea who Sly Moore is.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I thought Umbaran today, too!

Other possibilities: Echani, or Ubese. Or! If they wanted to make the coolest nod to the post-RotJ canon ever, Nagai.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Albeit, Nagai are Melnibone Elves.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Nope. That's it. Snoke is a Nagai. That's my headcanon.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you actually suggesting Vader's still alive?

Jesus, this and the "It's Obi-Wan's kid, the Rey girl!" theories are why the EU was shot.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He could still be a Muun, even. I think if Snoke is Plagueis it's more likely they've either given him a new species in the new continuity, or that's not his original body (or both). But I can still see a resemblance all the same - especially to the novel cover.

20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Something that I have not seen people discuss yet: Leia's dress at the end of the movie. Clearly, there's a war on, and she's still on a military base. Why isn't she in her General Organa duds? My guess: with the Senate gone, Leia is now either de factor or de jure Chancellor of the Republic. She may even have been about to catch a shuttle to the new capital (hopefully Coruscant).

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or they just had a funeral for Han, which is why everyone is dressed up in a nicer uniform (even Poe!). They probably don't have mourning attire, so that's the best they could do.

beccatoria and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think Leia actually has a place in the present government. I think she might actually be in the New Republic military, though, which would lend further credence the First Order is just drastically overreacting to real provocation.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    After all, depending on your canon, the Sith were founded by an Umbaran. Speaking of which, I'd love if Sly being a descendent of Ruin was canonized.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This. I was going to mention that Poe was wearing a dress uniform like the other Resistance officers, and Threepio even had his gold arm back. It was their proverbial Sunday best.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He what?! If it's that simple why does he have the red arm to begin with??

WMIRTUTSF and BobaMatt like this.