main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Because she knew Bond's weakness is always a beautiful woman?.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Kevin Conroy should have been cast as Snoke.

Discuss.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

(just the line at the timestamp)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Force Awakens has been bouncing around Canadian TV cable channels Showcase and YTV, I always end up catching the very beginning or the last 40 minutes, the bit in from Finn's crash to Maz's castle I don't catch a lot like the Han stuff I rarely see, unfortunately.

In fact, there's TFA on YTV reflected in a Christmas tree with Hux and Kylo, very festive!

[​IMG]

On HD broadcasts (that wasn't the HD channel) the image is cropped a bit so it's not in true 2.1 widescreen but instead 1.7 and by "zooming in" you see a few more details, although not the best way to watch it.

Also I just kinda like seeing where they place the ad breaks. Fun fact, the third act jumps to an ads break right when Kylo says "Find them." and after they blow up Starkiller Base. Although personally I think a great spot for an ad break is about a minute earlier when Han says "BEN!" but I didn't edit it for TV breaks, unfortunately. It's really close to it, though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Here is Linkara review of Force Awakens....comic

Part 1

Part 2

JediBatman likes this.
  7. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    So, this may have been brought up somewhere in the last 300 pages (if so, then certainly by @Senpezeco), but I'm not feeling up to the task of combing through 7000+ messages.

Anyway, while reading the classic Marvel Star Wars comic series for the first time, I happened across this gem of a tantrum by Baron Tagge in #26:
    [​IMG]
    ...and was immediately reminded of everyone's favorite instance of computercide:
    [​IMG]

I guess chances are pretty slim that Kasdan and Abrams were paying homage to Goodwin and Infantino with this scene in TFA, but a man can dream!

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Maybe if it was Jon Kasdan. ;)

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    LOL at "gem of a tantrum" [face_laugh] He has a lot of those "gems", and each tops the previous ones. At every turn he's throwing "gems" like he's Zorba the Hutt. Much of the House of Tagge's fabulous wealth is in "gems".

[​IMG]

I like how the lightsabers in the classic Marvel series often shattered things to bits instead of slashing through them.

10. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Ooh, that panel is even more amazing. Can’t wait to get to it! [face_peace]

Senpezeco likes this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Hahaha, I read those things a thousand times and totally remember the situation repeating itself a few times, but I never realized that compositions were so similar! Although he's gotten himself some funky new armor later on. You always gotta enjoy a good ol' Infantino layer-cake-tech background...

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    that is pretty interesting that Marvel in 78 interpreted the lightsabers as blunt instruments that smash as opposed to swords that slice cuz they slice through Walrus Man's arm real good in the cantina.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    No, they just smashed through it at a molecular level. One cell at a time.

TK-421 Is vader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The artists and writers of those early comics probably had few visual references to draw from. That's why they kept drawing Star Destroyers that only resembled movie Star Destroyers in their general shape, for one. Even the Falcon looks very weird in many panels. I doubt they had the means to rewatch the movies whenever they had difficulty in clearly remembering a scene or workings of a device or weapon. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    TK-421 Is vader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 and MrDarth0 like this.
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Rinzler says. “But I think that the new regime of Disney and Lucasfilm is not interested in serious non-fiction books. I was trying for years to do a book on the art of Indiana Jones, because there's about 50 tons of stuff in the archives still but they're not interested in looking into the past at all.”

Very sad if true :(

Serfer, Kylun, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It does sound likely. As much as I'm happy with the franchise currently, I've been having some serious nostalgia for the prequel era of spoilers aplenty. The official site was basically giving us daily updates on Episode III, but nowadays Lucasfilm just doesn't seem interested in giving out any behind-the-scenes information at all. That'll change by Celebration, sure, but I think it'd do a lot to reconnect the community with the production team a little more if the company was just a bit more open with information.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    maybe with a different director but Abrams is the whole thing is mystery box'd lockdown.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    So there is a channel I discovered recently (think it's called Nando v Movies) where the guy does a series called one small change. He has a pretty good sense for writing a good narrative and I like some of the suggestions he makes for the movies he critiques--also he's not one of those dissect-everything-and-call-everything-dumb types you find surfing in the wake of Plinkett's Star Wars reviews.

Anyway it got me thinking. I love The Force Awakens a lot. It's Star Wars, so I'm going to love it no matter what, but I think I came up with one small change that could really change the movie for the better. See, Lucasfilm has put in a ton of effort into building a meta-narrative for the franchise and for the fans. Rey is obviously supposed to represent the fans. She's an OT fangirl, knowing about the Jedi and the Empire and the Legends of the OT characters. But if she is supposed to be us,why would you rob your audience a chance to connect the character to them on a deeper level? Ladies, gentleman, and Quarren, I submit to you one small change that could strengthen both the narrative of TFA AND our connection to the character of Rey:

Rey doesn't know about anything that has happened to the greater galaxy since the events of ROTJ. That means she doesn't know what the First Order is, what the Resistance is, and whether there is a greater conflict at all.

Think about this. This gives the writers a chance to "catch us up" through Rey about certain events, giving stuff that is already in the films in very little bits a little bit more reinforcement. We could get some info on the State of the Galaxy, some more context to the First Order and the Resistance, etc. but this also gives the audience time to see themselves in Rey as a person who also grew up among legends and understand her more. I get the feeling that maybe the reason people don't like her is because they have a hard time connecting with her, but I also think having her KNOW so much already when the film starts really made it seem like she wasn't who she was pretending she was (hence the confusion leading up to TLJ on whether or not she was a former Jedi student or if she was someone of importance to the Skywalker lineage).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Conan the Barbarian (1982) felt more like a Star Wars movie than this thing did. GREAT review. Summed up my problems with the movie nicely.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Palpatine: [his dying words to Vader] My child, you have come to me, my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.

rpeugh likes this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What is a lightsaber compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength of your body, the hatred in your heart. I gave you this! Such a waste.

Havac , rpeugh and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of beskar and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it. We are just mandolorians, not gods, not giants, just mandolorians. And the secret of beskar has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Jusik, you must learn its discipline, for no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust. [points to his armour]

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Tie him to the Tree of Woe, crucify him!" is a line that can work in either Conan or Star Wars, frankly.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Han: [to Leia] I have never had so much as now. All my life I've been alone. Many times I faced my death with no one to know. I would look into the huses and the ships of others in the coldest dark and I would see figures holding each other in the night, but I always passed by. You and I, we have warmth. That's so hard to find in this world. Please, let someone else pass by in the night.

CT-867-5309 likes this.