main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think everything fell apart with TROS. It never answered a lot of questions, not just from the ST but the entire saga.
    Who really was the Chosen One?
    Was Anakin a virgin birth, or something else?
    Just exactly what was going on in the Unknown Regions?
    Who disfigured Snoke?
    Did Ben Solo ever get laid?
    Ok....I'm going silly now....

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We know those awnser tough, Anakin was the chosen one, Anakin was space jesus, unknown regions watch these shows it's not important in the movie. He was disfigured clone. Yess acording to RJ he did with a student as a jedi. Also the whole prophecy of the force was never really awnsered in the PT either but it hinted at to be Anakin and even TROS hints at with Anakin mention Balance. You could take the prophecy of balance and that Rey wth Anakin's help she destroyed Palpatine.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I guess we'll have to wait for episodes X-XII. AREN'T YOU EXCITED

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    THe title is the pophecy of balance is lie.

5. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Admittedly, I’m not a huge fan of TROS, but I suppose one can interpret it as whoever came up with the prophecy couldn’t see beyond Anakin. So basically Anakin balanced the Force, and then things went out of balance again with the rise of the First Order. According to George Lucas’s logic, the Force is unbalanced when there is a great amount of suffering and oppression in the galaxy. So even if the villains in the ST were some brand new threat unrelated to dark side Force users, you’d basically have the same problem, as they’d be creating mass amounts of anguish and strife, unbalancing the Force.

If we interpret the prophecy as the Force has to be balanced forever after Anakin, then there couldn’t be a major threat to the galaxy ever again.

jaimestarr likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The Unbalance in the force is the sith and oly the sith. They corrupt the force into creating force sensetive clones, cheat death, and more. The sith brings the fore out of balance. The dark side of the force will always be there.

7. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Someone on another forum once likened the Sith and the Jedi to the Mystics and Skeksis in The Dark Crystal, as if they were one split into two, and needed to be reunited.
    Pre TROS I actually thought that was the direction they were headed in.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well they are not. Sith dosen't need to be reunited but destroyed. the Sith are like a sickness that spreads and won't stop until it affects the whole galaxy and maybe not even then. The Sith are an inbalance a plague on the galaxy. The Jedi works with how the force works and dom't try to influence it like the sith do. For there to be balance in the force, there has to be jedi or like minded light force users.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    maybe. I think it’s ambiguous. Since all beings are connected to the Force, I think you can argue that if the First Order conquered the galaxy, even without any Force users leading them, the Force would still be unbalanced.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    no if no sith are invlplved the force would still be in balance it's the sith that are the problem and we wound't have the first order and other enemy armies without the sith. Most wars are becuse of the sith. You can dark force user and froce would still be in balance, but the sith are more then that. The Sith are sometihng that should never be.

11. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Perhaps the Chosen One was meant to be an example of how to balance the positive and negative qualities of the mind for the galaxy at large.

In thinking about this for some time I have to wonder if Anakin and Rey were meant to be solitary spiritual guides for all the Beings of the galaxy who wound up getting caught up in factions, power struggles and politics ?

Imagine if Anakin were to have taken a path more akin to Ahkosha Tano, having the insight and inner fortitude to walk away from both sides and act more as a center point and stabilizing influence. to help restore peace and justice than joining one group or another.

For me, this would be the most effective means to bring balance to the Force. Not thru confrontation but in becoming a stable "enlightened " person who could speak to both Lightside and Darkside users to show them how to apply their unique skill set to any suffering Being who they came into contact with to help end that suffering.

Could this be the true Prophecy of the Chosen One that was misunderstood by Jedi and Sith alike ?

whostheBossk and christophero30 like this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Maybe Anakin needed to turn to the dark side to overthrow the emperor.

wobbits likes this.
  13. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Okay, this is completely off topic...
    But the title of this thread makes me think of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover.
    Sorry,

14. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    Ahsoka may have officially left the Jedi order, but she’s still basically a Jedi. I don’t really see how she represents something between light side and dark.

15. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    The prophecy wasn't misuderstood. Anakin brought the balance of the Force because:
    he had children
    children got one lightsaber each
    Rey used 2 lightsabers to defeat All the Sith
    Anakin's grandson brought Rey back to life
    Rey is the balance which means that Anakin fulfilled the prophecy

Without Anakin, there would be no Luke, Leia and Ben and Palaptine's granddaughter would have a very different destiny, probably as the Empress Palaptine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  16. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Who cares?

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    fans do and whiny fanboys. The prohecy is still intact. and and the ST dosen't change that.

jaimestarr likes this.
  18. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    'Always in motion is the future', also.

Taking a prophecy seriously into consideration -not to say acting upon it- means to be mindful of the future at the expense of the moment. Sounds like the unbalancing of the jedi-esque 'here and now', and maybe that prophecy was ill-intentioned.

The prophecy seems to be old. Palpatine had this guys in his office:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Four_Sages_of_Dwartii

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The novel Master & Apprentice contains the full text of the prophecy which does act like a bit of a retcon. It mentions that ultimate balance will being brought through the Chosen One, not necessarily by the Chosen One. It was obtained through Anakin, his children and their training of Rey.

Yeah, can be seen as a bit of a cop out, but does strengthen Yoda's belief that the prophecy could have been misread.

20. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Those two questions are more related than you care to know, young one.

This is why it's a terrible idea to have a prophecy about balancing a field of energy. Even if Palpatine had never returned and the force had truly been balanced, what difference would it have made? I highly doubt the people in the Hosnian system were thinking, "Oh, well at least it's not the Sith" as they were being atomized.

Although I do sort of understand the idea of the Sith being so out of sync with the force that they're like a plague, it still doesn't explain the force being unbalanced. To say that too much darkness can unbalance the force also means that too much goodness can unbalance it as well. So, technically, galactic peace would also unbalance the force, but that sounds nonsensical.

Unless one thinks that the force is naturally good, but that also makes no sense because the force is everything which includes the darkness.

^^^This guy gets it.

jaimestarr likes this.
  21. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    This is an issue that arises from Lucas's creation of the Prequel Trilogy.

When Lucas created a fleshed out back story for Darth Vader, he also added elements that reverse engineered Return of the Jedi's ending into more of of a decisive and declarative finale. With the addition of the Chose One Prophecy, Lucas made Anakin a galactic messiah figure that was responsible for a lot more than just saving his son.

In doing so, it is exactly as @Darth Megatronus said. Lucas made it somewhat problematic to create a major threat to the galaxy again without "undoing" this prequel era construct of "The Chosen One." He added a previously non existing layer to ROTJ's ending that made having any big post Episode 6 conflict/villain seemingly undermine the Prophecy, Anakin, and The Prequels.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Darth Megatronus likes this.
  22. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    The simple answer IMO is that the Prophecy was true, Anakin was the Chosen One, and he did bring balance to the force when he tossed The Emperor into the chasm. What happened next simply happened next, and doesn't negate the Prophecy. Some Jedi, at some point in the past, foresaw the future, and it was Anakin's defeat of Palpatine. They made a prophecy of this moment. It happened. Then life went on... Palpatine somehow returned and the galaxy became unbalanced again, which is inevitable. The prophecy never claimed it would defeat evil. It simply predicted a moment of balance. Many of us may have misread the Prophecy in the past, thinking it was some kind of end game. Turns out, it wasn't.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    lovethedarkside and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't know how exactly the prequels are to blame when you could just as easily interpret the Chosen One prophecy as superstition and folklore, something which could have just as well existed in the culture of the Jedi despite their ability of farsight. I always figured that the Chosen One prophecy was always meant to contrast with how much of a deconstruction of the Chosen One archetype Anakin is. Which is probably why Rey's arc is so unsatisfying considering that she's pretty much the blandest version of it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    wobbits likes this.
  24. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    That’s how I see it

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    As for the prophecy:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_songs
    This was, supposedly, 800 years before Christ. Quite a retcon. So the literary source for the prophecy would be Isaiah, and the same with the prophet, unnamed and therefore Lucas.

Apparently, there's this quote in a chapter, 'Jesus is my name', in hebrew Yeshua Shmi.

The 'I' and the 'we' in those 'servant songs' merge, so the prophecy says, and that's similar to 'I am all the jedi'. Corporate personality.

The 2nd draft of SW (1975) had a 'holy man called Skywalker', founder of the jedi, in it. He had 12 sons, like Jacob.

12 tribes of Israel. The chosen one being the chosen people, Skywalker being the messiah, the people being the jedi. 'If Skywalker returns the new jedi will rise...' That's maybe the 1st 'song of the servant', which would be placed after TROS in this analogy, in the link above. Also:
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...-sequel-trilogy.50053898/page-3#post-56764587

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020