main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary The Forums Are Moving - UPDATE YOUR PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by CrazyMike, May 31, 2010.

1. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    So the time has come. IGN will no longer be able to support the boards, so we have to move the whole FanForce/Jedi Council forum system. If you haven't seen the announcement on top of the forum, here are some points you should be aware of:

2. In order to ensure you can still log into your account after the move, please make sure you have an active private email address in your profile. If you don't, you may be locked out of your account after the move!

3. The boards will still be on boards.theforce.net, but instead of being hosted by IGN, we will be hosted on a new server on TFN.

4. We are doing everything we can to make sure nothing is lost in the move. However, we can't guarantee anything. At the very least, we hope users, posts, forums, and private messages all transfer. But just in case, if there's any threads you want to save, DO SO NOW. One of the managers, DarthXan, created a thread backup program, which you can find HERE.

5. For more information read the FAQ

Also it should be noted that IGN has done the first test with the data export, so the move should occur as soon as the new forums are ready for it.

How to do this:

Look to see "logged in as: (your user name)" above. somewhere to the right of it is a link to "Options" - click on it. Then click on "Change your User Details" link

or just click here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/UserPages/ChangeUserDetails.aspx

and make sure you have an email address listed for private email address then click "Update Details" button.

6. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry for not providing any updates regarding the forum move folks. It has been almost 7 months since my last update and I still have not been given a firm date as of yet.

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I seem to think it will never happen. If IGN can't host the forum anymore you think they would give a drop dead date and the forum would have to move by then.

8. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Hello everyone, I first wanted to say thank you so much for keeping Fan Force Canada alive.
    You are the last active chapter. We are still waiting to see what is going to be happening to the IGN forums in the coming months. Rebelscum ( a sister website to TFN ) is going through the initial phase of the move so we will how everything goes. Their move will give us an idea of what and how we can expect our move to go. With that being said there have been some outages by IGN recently that have been cause for concern. This most recent outage wiped out the ability for new accounts to be created here on Fanforce as well as the ability to recover account passwords. I will let you know as more news becomes available.

Regards,

Mike

9. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Thanks for the update Mike

And we will keep the light on in Canada for others to finally come back around.

10. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    It looks like we are finally going to be moving. IGN has advised us that the move will take place in the next 4 weeks. I will let you know as I get more details.

11. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    And here's what you need to know:

All right, you've undoubtedly noticed that for the last two years, we have been discussing, on and off, the Move i.e. the migration from the boards hosted by IGN to a new website. Initially vbulletin, we're going with Xenforo. IGN have been snowed with their other million boards while doing the same, and as such various facilities have been stopped e.g. password recovery, and the access of new users.

Or you may not have noticed, and this is the first you've heard of it, at which point I'd recommend you read this thread here, in Communications.

The Gist

Here's what IGN is going to do: IGN is planning to export our forum data at some point in the coming weeks. We have not yet decided on an exact date.
    Here's the effect it will have: The JC is about to undergo a major upgrade. After the move, all the current glitches like new user registrations and email notifications will finally work again.
    Here's how you'll get to the temp board: Once the boards are officially shut down for the move, boards.theforce.net will automatically forward you to the temp board.
    Here's how the temp board will work: This will basically just be a place to hang out until the move has been completed. The temp board is going to be a brand new board - nothing from this board is going to be transferred to it, which means you will have to register a new temporary account in order to post. No threads or posts will be transferred either. After the move is completed, the temp board will be shut down.
    Here's how the conversion will work and how long we expect it to take: IGN will be exporting all the data from these forums and converting it into a database compatible with Xenforo. They will then mail us the data on a hard drive, which will then be imported into the new board set up on TFN's servers. We expect it to take somewhere between 1 to 3 weeks, depending on how long each step of the process takes to complete.
    Here's how the boards will go back up again: When the move has been completed and we've had the chance to verify the import process, boards.theforce.net will automatically switch over to the new board.
    Here's what you can expect when the new board opens: Your password will not be transferred, so in order to log in for the first time, you will need to have your password emailed to you via the email associated with your account.

Questions Asked Elsewhere

So just so I've got this right: when the new boards (not the temp boards) come up, a new password will be automatically sent to the account I specified while I was still on these boards?

The password will not be automatically sent. You will have to initiate the password recovery when you attempt to log in for the first time. (More in-depth details on how this process will work will be provided in the near future once we've had a chance to test out the process for ourselves.)

Just to emphasize:

You MUST have a working email address in your profile.

Your username will be transferred to the new boards, BUT your password will not be.

The ONLY way you can get a new password will be to have it emailed to you.

In short, if you have no email address in your profile YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO THE BOARDS (unless you have a new username)

Any other questions, PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

12. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    I still don't really believe it

13. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Lol I know what you mean Ryan but it is finally happening....

14. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Still no move. Go Figure!!!!! Maybe on April 1st. lol

15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    How do we update our email? If you could, mine is rbsoul2000@yahoo.com

thanks!

16. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Why am I being told to update my private email address? How do I update it?
    As stated in the global announcement in the forum header, all users must make sure they have an active private email address in their profile. If you don't, you may not be able to log into your account after the move.

I have been told there is a good chance that passwords will not transfer over to the new boards. If you do not have a working email under "private email address" in your profile, you will not be able to reset your password after the move.

How to update your private email address:

1. Log into your account and click on "Options" at the top of the page.
    2. Click on "Change Your User Details".
    3. Halfway down the page, you should see two email address fields. One is Public (this email is visible to all users who view your profile), the other is Private.
    4. Update the Private email field with a working email address you can use to receive your new password after the move. (You do not have to enter a Public email address.)

If you receive an error saying that the email address is already taken:

1. This is most likely due to one or more sock accounts you created that use the same email address. You have two choices - enter a new email address for your account, or log into the other account(s) and give each one a unique email address.
    2. Each account you edit will need its own email address. So if you don't feel like creating a bunch of new Hotmail or Yahoo accounts, just make sure your primary account has its own unique email address. As long as the sock accounts have an email address that works, you should be fine.
    3. Please keep in mind that there is currently no way to recover passwords for your accounts. If you can't remember the password for your sock, don't worry about updating it until after the move. You'll just have to enter a different email for your primary account.

Note: If you have a Gmail account and don't feel like creating a bunch of new email addresses, read on...

What if I don't have an extra email address for one of my accounts?
    For those of us with many socks and not-so-many email addresses, there's a trick you can use with adding dots to Gmail addresses to make them 'unique'.

That is, if you have (say) the email address:

someaddress@gmail.com

All mail sent to the following email addresses:

s.omeaddress8@gmail.com
    so.meaddress@gmail.com
    som.eaddress@gmail.com
    (etc, for any combination of '.'s)

...would also get sent to the same email address, someaddress@gmail.com, and the boards accept those as different (i.e. unused) email addresses even though they end up in the same mailbox.

(It doesn't appear to work with Yahoo or any other email providers - just Gmail - but Gmail accounts are free anyway.)