main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Friday the 13th Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Drac39, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Almost six years, the last movie was 2003's "Freddy vs. Jason".

2. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Click here to check out a cool youtube video someone posted that has all the "Friday the 13th" TV spots from 1980 until now, including the latest one with Jason seen sharpening his machete at the end.

3. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I'm kind of excited for the new movie. I loved the original 3 movies. I'm curious to see if this is good

4. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Just the first 3? What about fan favorite, (Part 4)"The Final Chapter"?

5. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Wal-Mart has the cool and comprehensive 2-disc "His Name was Jason" documentary for only $9.96. In it, you basically get a free ticket ($10.00 off admission coupon) to see the new "Friday the 13th". If you're going to see the new film, it's a great deal to get this documentary.

6. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I picked Friday the 13th Part 3D with the 3D glasses as well as the documentary. Gonna watch'em before Friday. Very excited to see Jason back where he belongs---Camp Crystal Lake!

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I am very tempted to buy Part 3 and see it the way it was meant to be seen. Is it worth the money? Does the 3-D even work?

As for the remake I'll probably see it this weekend but I'm not expecting much from it. It's kind of silly that this is the first Platinum Dunes horror flick not taking place in the respective decade of the original film

8. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I haven't had a chance to watch Part 3D yet, I'm just curious to see it the way it was intended to be seen.

9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    You know I'd like to get some sort of review of how well the 3-D works before I buy the DVD. It is something I would definatly be interested in seeing though.

10. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    I have it, and the 3-D effect is basically so-so. The stuff that's supposed to pop out of the screen doesn't exactly do so like the 80's movies I remember seeing in 3-D, like "Jaws 3-D" and "Treasure of the Four Crowns". But there is surprising depth to the foreground and background throughout, which is something I don't really remember about those other films. It was worth getting to me, but the 3-D effect is not exactly the same as it was originally in theaters. In theaters, it was polarized 3-D, this DVD is the old red and blue glasses anaglyphic 3-D. I don't know a whole lot about it, except stuff I've read at this link, which is the "Friday the 13th Part 3" IMDB page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on any of the forum threads. There's plenty discussing how well the 3-D DVD does or doesn't work. And how to make it work best.

I haven't watched the movie in its entirety this way, the red and blue glasses are really going to frustrate some, but it's worth having to me.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    That kind of stinks. I'll probably get it but I was excited to see the 3-D effects. I am not a huge fan of 3-D or Richard Brooker's Jason but when you watch the film some of the effects are meant to be seen in 3-D. The scene with the eye popping out would be awesome to see in a 3-D theatre

12. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

More proof Hollywood ran out of ideas a long time ago. They're doing this again? How tired.

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Well direct your criticsm at Hollywood and not at Jason lol

Ebert actually has some decent things to say about the new film.

He does offer some spoilers but if you know anything about Ebert he proactically blamed the Friday the 13th films for thr violence in America. Siskel and Ebert had shows begging Paramount to end the series. Perhaps he's become more of a violent dinosaur in his old age.

14. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Happy Friday the 13th, people.

Seeing it tonight.

15. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Saw it with a great sold-out crowd on Friday night, and it was a lot of fun. I was excited to see it, but my expectations were definately in check, as I had read a ton of negative reviews over at the IMDB. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the director or Michael Bay. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit. There's much that could have been done much better, the first five minutes are handled in a disappointing, lackluster fashion, but the rest of the extended pre-title sequence is pretty good. Derek Mears is a great Jason.

It's amazing how many people over at IMDB have a problem with Jason running, and don't remember or realize that Jason ran in Friday the 13th Parts 2, 3, and 4. I think the human running Jason of the earlier films is far scarier than the walking zombie that came after.

Analysts were predicting only 18 to 20 million for the weekend and it made that on its first night. It's looking to make over 40 million for the weekend.

16. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I give the movie 2 1/2 stars out of 5. I hope the unrated dvd will be better. I watched the My Name is Jason doc before i went which got me excited for the new friday with the comments that the actors/producers made. They were wrong it totaly lacked the luster form the old Friday movies. Nothing new really. Jason should not have an underground fortress to hide victims in nor turn floodlights on to reviel to everyone where he lives.

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    A guilty pleasure to be sure, but i have to admit i quite enjoyed the new "Friday".

Had some good laughs (intentional and otherwise), some hot bodies and a pretty intimidating killer.

If you're a fan of slashers, this one's pretty good. Yes, it has plot holes the size of Saginaw, but if you're going to this kinda movie for PLOT, well.....

Yeah.

I liked the running-Jason. It's scary as hell having a galoot that size coming at ya full on wielding a machete...

18. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Finally saw it and I was disapointed. I felt the writers didn't appreciate the mythology or Jason's character. I'll post my review ASAP. If anything this new remake got Jason back in the public eye

19. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I thought it was pretty good. I like running jason better than "Teleporting" jason.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Any more word-of-mouth?

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I have reviewed the remake as I bought it on DVD a few days ago. I was a little too harsh in my inital review. I actually think this is the best interpretation of Jason since his origin in Part 2 and maybe The Final Chapter. Mears is slick and very scary with the role and Jason is actually given a bit of a brain in the film. Mears' performance is by far the strongest in terms of general acting ability, which isn't saying much considering stuntman don't require acting skills.

My disapointment comes from the fact that Jason is hunting spoiled rich kids and Crystal Lake is a luxury beach property. The prolouge should have been extended into the entire film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.