main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future Of Maul In The Anthologies

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Wrenegade, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    So for years, I had always assumed "They are never going to put Maul in a post TPM live action role, it would be too confusing for General Audiences"

Apparently not.

This opens up all sorts of possibilities for future appearances for the character in future Live Action films. For one, I have to imagine that his Solo appearance will be followed up on, whether that be a Solo sequel, or maybe a spin off involving him, Q'ira, and Crimson Sun, I don't know. The other major possibility this opens up, for me, is a Live Action adaptation of the Seige of Mandalore storyline, which has yet to be officially told in any manner, even though we know the basics of what happens.

Shaak Ti and sizziano like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Siege of Mandalore: A Star Wars Story

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-solo-star-wars-reveal-20180525-story.html

SlashMan likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    How on earth was Kasdan writing for LFL and did not know about Maul’s survival?

dolphin likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he means before he started writing this. He probably never watched the CW series. I'm guessing someone must have filled him in. He probably went to "SW School" for a bit.

sizziano and Trikuza23 like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I don’t get how he was allowed to write TFA then if he hadn’t kept up with TCW. Even more confusing is how it didn’t get brought up in some brainstorming session.

I shouldn’t be knowing more about Star Wars than the writers is basically what I’m saying.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Red23 likes this.
  7. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Seeing Maul at the end of Solo has me excited for the future. It looks like Disney has actually put some thought into how they are going to tie the PT to the OT. We might actually see a Solo sequel with Maul, Fett, Solo and Obi-wan all in one film[face_praying]. We know now that a Fett film is in the works. It seems like an Obi-wan film has been unofficially confirmed. I bet this is all one project. The Solo trilogy will be much bigger than we all anticipated.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    sizziano and Jedi Daniel like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Because he's a professional writer, not a professional fan.

Er. most Star Wars fans know more Star Wars trivia than the scriptwriters. It's not their job to keep up with everything in canon. That's the Story Group's role. These scripts are collaborative. There's no reason to insist that each person involved knows everything.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Darth_Pevra, Darth Nave and Shaak Ti like this.
  9. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    If we don't have a maul story depicting his survival and most likely his training with Sidious in a live action movie, I would be surprised, confused and disappointed.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Prepare to be surprised, confused and disappointed then. You're not going to get a live action movie with a painted devil as a protagonist. Lucasfilm's not crazy.

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    George knew everything. Tolkien knew everything in his universe. Keven Feige has that role in the MCU. JK Rowling does that with Harry Potter. All 4 of these people are amazingly successful. To quote Maul, you need "one singular vision." Otherwise the universe is in danger of becoming an incoherent mess.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I actually don't want a singular vision. We got that with Peter Jackson and the LOTR AND Hobbit films, and as I don't really enjoy his style of film-making, that led to me having 6 Tolkien-inspired films that I don't watch anymore. Varying visions and styles are exactly what's keeping me hopeful about this series. If I don't like one vision or style, I can look forward to a different one the next time.

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Fair enough. I just disagree. Is there more risk/reward? Yes. But I think it's worth it because one person's vision is usually so much more unified and coherent in my view. For example, I liked all George's SW movies (singular vision), but only liked half of Disney's (group approach).

Again, just my opinion. It all comes down to preferences really.

By the way, great username lol

Count Yubnub and cwustudent like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough! And thanks.

But just imagine a world where Uwe Boll was the dictator of the Star Wars cinematic universe...

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Huge shocker. As someone who followed the Clone Wars, his cameo immediately made me excited, but also made me think that fans not familiar with the supplemental TV series would be scratching their heads. First of all, I could immediately recognize Ray Park's face beneath the makeup. Sam Witwer's voice was also unmistakable. I'm not at all surprised that Peter Serafinowicz was recast after publicly whining about being cheated in the Phantom Menace. Why even bother when Witwer does the job just as well and without being a diva.

I can totally see this factoring into the forthcoming Boba Fett movie. Actually gives me some hope that Daniel Logan will return as well.

cwustudent likes this.
  16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I feel like it's much more likely to factor into a potential film with our favorite Jedi master...

SlashMan likes this.
  17. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the naming of Sith Lords? I was always under the impression Darth Maul was given this name by Darth Sidious, just as Sidious renamed Anakin as Darth Vader, and I'm presuming it was Sidious who named Dooku as Darth Tyranus.
    After Tyranus became the apprentice of Sidious, I thought Darth Maul would have gone by his previous or birth name, but it seems Maul is his name. Some Sith Lords are Darth (New Name), while some Sith Lords are Darth (Birth Name).
    Do Sith Lords take on new identies when their true identity is meant to be a secret, and if there's no need for an alias, then do they just add Darth before their name?

18. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I have a couple ideas for where he could appear next:

- He is the main antagonist of the Boba Fett film, which picks up where Solo left off and sees Jabba put together a crew that involves Han, Chewie, Boba Fett, and several other bounty hunters (i.e., Cad Bane and Bossk hopefully) with the goal of undermining Crimson Dawn's operations and solidifying the Hutts' hold on the underworld (all told from Fett's perspective of course). In fact, a great way to show general audiences what a badass Boba Fett is would be to have him hold his own against Darth Maul in a fight.
    - He factors in to the Obi-Wan film somehow. I think having them fight again would be too cliche, so maybe they are forced to team up somehow and have to fight Inquisitors and/or Vader. Then have them be stranded on Malachor where Maul tries to convince Obi-Wan to use the superweapon there so they can exact revenge against their enemies. Kenobi, of course, has other priorities, so he gets the hell out of dodge and leaves Maul stranded there until the events of Twilight of the Apprentice.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I still think it's bizarre that Maul was in this. First of all the general audience doesn't know that he was brought back in that cartoon. Heck I don't even know which cartoon he was brought back in. Are they going to address his resurrection onscreen somehow or is LFL going to do a bunch of press where they tell the GA to, "just Google it people"? Ha! That would be nuts!

And then if they make Maul the big bad in another Star Wars movie or multiple movies how is the GA going to like it when the big bad presumably escapes and never appears in another movie again? And when the GA wonders what happened to the main bad guy from the last two plus movies then they're going to find out yet agin that they have to watch some random cartoon they've never heard of? What? That is terrible storytelling.

ETA: And then if the GA googled Maul or watched the cartoons then they're going to be like, "wait...so Obi-Wan Kenobi killed Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace then they made Solo where he appeared again...so I had to google that and I found out that he was brought back to life in a cartoon but I also just read that he was killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi AGAIN but Solo just set Maul up to be the big bad in another movie. So...he's going to appear in another Star Wars film as the character that the good guys have to stop but Google just told me he's killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi. So...when does any of this take place? Does the next movie that Maul is going to be in take place after Kenobi kills him a second time? I mean why not if he can come back after being sliced in half! Oh I see the next movie Maul is going to appear in will chronologically take place BEFORE he's killed a second time. Okay got it. So then I guess I know he'll escape in the couple of new movies he's going to be then. Also..why did they bring him back if they killed him off again by the same dude that killed him the first time nonetheless?"

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't really put it against him. They are busy people and Maul's survival would hardly effect TFA

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ok, here's a thought. Maul is the primary antagonist in the Kenobi spin off, and by the end of that film he'll be stranded in the Sith temple Malachor (where he'll show up in Rebels), which then ties into the Game of Thrones writers' series about the Old Republic Jedi/Sith.

But also yes, bringing Maul into live action when his fate has been resolved canonically (twice!) is a bit superfluous.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul is back to stay:

https://movieweb.com/solo-star-wars-story-why-darth-maul-cameo-ron-howard/

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Please bring back Ron Howard LFL!

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like Maul's inclusion because it actually goes full bore on the "Everything is canon" stance. Now, the animated series didn't really do anything about Criminal Underworld Overlord Maul aside from sort of setting up the notion that his career trajectory seemed like it could go in that direction.

Now the movies can use Maul in the Dark Times timeline as the Shadowy Criminal Overlord of All Crime in the Galaxy Who is a Criminal and Also Maul. They just can't kill him. And when they're done with him, dump him on Malachor. That's about it. (he probably loses his power base too because he's kind of a weirdo loner in Rebels) otherwise, go nuts.

Considering how much people love to use Maul, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually it's revealed he got dumped on Malachor about five minutes before Ezra found him. He just decided to play the Old Man bit just to screw with the kid.

25. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    R
    They were the first To show a hero's fall in a major film... Why not follow the antagonist
    As well?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.