main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of Star Trek: Where would YOU boldly go??

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Well, fellow sci-fi lovers, it appears that the Star Trek franchise is on ice for the time being. After the disappointing box-office of Nemesis (not bad, even slightly underrated, but not great either) and the premature cancellation of Enterprise (which had quite a few good episodes, but suffered from the same, shall we say, inconsistency as Voyager), it's anybody's guess as to when this beloved pop-culture institution will rise again. (Being the optimist I am, I say when, not if!)

The question I now pose to my fellow fans is: How would you revive the franchise?
    What I would like to see from the next movie is a story that doesn't feel obligated to gather up the whole gang again and is therefore not obligated to shoehorn something in for everyone to do. (Of course, with the demise of Data, the TNG crew will never quite be the same again.) I think that the studio executives should allow the writers to tell a story using whatever characters from the Trek universe they like, whether it's Picard, Spock, Riker, Seven of Nine, or even Garak. That way, the storytelling would be far more organic and feel less forced.
    As for a television series, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Peter David's New Frontier series of novels turned into a show! Yeah, yeah, I know that's probably never ever going to happen. But I seriously think that David's work in Trek fiction would provide a good role model for TV writers, in terms of character development and as a study in how to sidestep all the usual cliches.

So...what do you think??:)

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A long hiatus would be good. It'll give time for the franchise to rebuild its popularity.

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I agree with the long hiatus idea. It's only been less than a year since Enterprise went off the air and that's already the longest time without any new Star Trek episode or movie since before The Next Generation premiered. The franchise needs time to heal, time for people to get fresh new ideas and time for the audience demand to be at a level that can make Star Trek successful again.

The only downside to the hiatus would be that we wouldn't be able to see certain actors play their roles again when the franchise returns.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It doesn't look good for the ST:XI movie

IGN article about ST:XI being stalled.

Personally they should've had the eleventh movie out no later than this past Christmas unless they were concrete with something completely new. 9/8 of this year will be ST's 40th Anniversary and it'll come and go with a dormant Trek-verse around right now.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The was the one time travel TNG episode where a former starship came from the past, the one where Tasha Yar returned, and the Picard era of command was a time of war. I think a series based on warfare might be interesting.

Star Trek: War

All apsects of war. Heroes, villains, those inbetween, victories and defeats, espionage, genocide, weaponry, deplomacy, leadership, coruption, war profit, aggression, cowardice, occupation, annihilation and more.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The last couple seasons of DS9 were basically like that, though the very best "war" episode of DS9 wasn't even during the war. The two-parter where Starfleet attempts a military coup on Earth ("Homefront" and "Paradise Lost") is awesome.

7. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    It would be interesting if they set a new series around Section 31 or in the Mirror Universe. I just don't want to see another straight starship/captain/alien-of-the-week series. And I don't think a movie would be a good way to start. They should start with a mini-series and then go to a series. If those are successful, move on to movieland.

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The Best Star Trek was definitely seasons 5-7 of DS9, the Dominion War. We definitely need some war action here, instead of the stereotypical science fiction exploration, planet-of-the-week style stuff.

9. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I always thought a series based around Section 31 would be interesting. Something that would showcase the more ruthless side of the Federation.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The storyline for the film would have been brilliant and I still hope they can pull it off, however the suggested title for the film does not fit in my opinion. It is too weak.

For other Film ideas, personally I think they should only go for one more film (at least for now). The film should somehow involve Sisko, Janeway and Picard (All at Admiral status) and go from there!

It is an interesting idea! Starting with a mini-series would certainly bring a new edge to the beginning of a series.

TV series ideas:
    I read somewhere that there are only three possible angles for a ST tv series; on a ship, from a space-station or based from a planet.
    The ship concept has been exausted IMO, doing another space-station series may seem too repetative and... based from a planet? Personally I think it would be a struggle to keep interest from this last angle.

However if they were to do another ship based series, I would like to seem them physically on the visited planets more often. (It works for Stargate!)

Also, what about an Alien Captain?

Having said all this, I would prefer to place the tv series AFTER the timeframe of TNG, DS9 and VGER.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd like to see one of three things:

-A new series set in the TOS era; despite my great dislike of TOS, Enterprise showed that modern FX and production values can make even the original Enterprise seem high tech and threatening. It'd be nice to have a more servicable show to watch of that era.
    -A Mirror Universe series; it was the highlight of Enterprise, and that title sequence really made you go "How come we didn't get THIS show?!"
    -One set post-Voyager, with Starfleet ships starting to utilize that bitching Batmobile-esque telescoping anti-Borg armor.

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    it needs to stop before they destroy the legacy.

Things I would consider would be :-

something TNG-esque where they are given a one way ticket to an alternative dimension - really getting back to the nature of boldy going.

or

some sort of post appocolytic society trying to rebuilt after a major war or some sort of subspace disaster - gives the chance for previous enemies to band together just to survive, while pirates etc are scavanging to keep their ships going.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Malkie, I like that second idea. It is sometimes called, in science fiction, The Long Night. A civilization falls apart for any number of reasons and it becomes a dark, chaotic time period of reconstruction, grabs for power, consolidation and what not.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's hard because Viacom is about to be split apart into two productions Paraborg would get the Film side and CBS would control the TV side (including half of the new CW). And right now part of what's stalling an new Trek film is that it's a bit up in the air who gets the rights to Trek and whether the otherside would ever see Trek again after the split. Plus there are some rumors that the execs are waiting for Berman's contract to run out before permanently deep sixing any hope of future Trek.

I think it'll be another 30 years before we see Trek again in live - action form again but if we did, I would like to see something along the lines of just jettison Enterprise continuty altogether (too few good episodes for me to consider it canon. They started to turn the corner in Season Four and then Viacom deep - sixed Trek for good), and go into the last years of the Romulan War (maybe starting with the Romulan fleet getting all the way to Earth before being pushed Back), and proceeding through the first struggling years of the Federation. Perhaps ending with a bunch of people from Starfleet's Core of Engineers standing around a model of their new 'prototype' starship: USS Enterprise NCC 1701. :)

That's it for me.

15. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    The movies I'd give a break.

If it were up to me I'd do a new TV show that takes place after TnG and the most recent movies where Riker is Captain and his crew is a combo of fresh new cast members and perhaps 1 or 2 people from TnG, Voyager or Ds9...and I'd throw in some guest appearances ofcourse of Picard & other top characters.

Ideally, that would be the ONLY Trek show on TV so as not to over do it...then I'd move it into movie territory if it were popular enough.

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    cameos annoy me - cheapens the episode - imo none of the episodes of TNG which involved a original cast member worked (ie with Scotty, or the ones with Spock)

17. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey, I liked the Scotty episode. Without him, that would have made one boring hour of television.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I liked the Scotty one. Never saw the Bones or McCoy ones though.

19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I enjoyed the Scotty one as well, the Spock was okay.

They're the same person :p

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The McCoy cameo was funny if brief, as he compared Data to a Vulcan.

21. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    no, it was cheese, and devalued their original performances

they're running an ST marathon on TV here this weekend, and we're currently on ST:VI
    I honestly forgot how reasonable the ST movies which most people consider weak actually are.

It's possibly Shatner's performances - he's a good dramatist, and grasped something that was absent from TNG etc

22. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I never knew people would consider VI as weak :)

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I thought it was generaly considered to be one of the worst of the movies. I liked it :D

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    weaker compared to II or First Contact.

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Movie number 5 I thought was considered the worst.

Anyway I would love to see a movie at least with Riker as Cap-i-tan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.