main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’d be happy with one live action series and one animated series per year. But I’m also one of those fossils who can enjoy the books as my primary source of Star Wars content.

It’s my one disappointment since all this stuff has been cranked out that most of publishing has been relegated to the High Republic, which isn’t wowing me.

2. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Going to be another great year of Live Action Star Wars. March 1st can’t come soon enough.

Mando S3
    Ahsoka
    Skeleton Crew

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I guess part of the question is how much is too much?

I mean GOT only had 1 show a year and it had a major impact/made lots of money.

Is having 3 live action shows a year better than 2 or 1? When do you reach 'over-saturation'

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If we're comparing franchises like that, I'll just bring up the MCU; they have seventeen movies and thirty-four TV shows a year, and people love that. I don't think a handful of SW shows will be a problem.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As long as the shows don't blur together, the more the merrier.

Nobody was going to confuse Andor with Book of Boba Fett or Obi Wan Kenobi with Bad Batch last year.

Similarly, I am quite ready for the spin offs that are finally coming alongside Doctor Who.

6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I might not be that up on marvel, but I don't think they put out 17 movies in a single year. And people are discussing a decline of marvel interest.

Wait what? Like torchwood, the Sarah jane chronicles or that K9 show?

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hopefully like Paul McGann getting a run as Eight.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They do. 17 + 34. I would never use hyperbole.
    As for a decline in interest... maybe, but people were saying that around The Age of Ultron too. Once they get to more well known characters again, like Fantastic 4 or X-Men, it'll be back in full swing.

Oh yes please!

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think the MCU is like Ivan Drago from Rocky, and as Phase 4’s mixed reception has shown...the Russian’s cut.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I have no idea what the above means.

Darth Chiznuk and Sarge like this.
  11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I find your lack of Stallone and/or Rocky knowledge disturbing.

But what I’m getting at is, the MCU isn’t at the height of critical darling it was enjoying during Phase 3. There has been a decline in the critical reception, and I think waving that off as people not liking lesser known characters is a bit dismissive. I think after 17 movies over, what, 10-11 years? People are probably tiring of the formula.

12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I haven't seen a Rocky movie in twenty+ years, nor do I plan to do so any time soon. :p

But I wasn't being dismissive, I was stating what I think is the case. Spider-Man: No Way Home is one of the most profitable MCU movies, and that's Phase 4 one.
    Mind you, I haven't kept up with the MCU in a long time, and I don't particularly care about it; I just think that the decline is overstated, as it has been before.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can confirm, it's overstated. Reception is mixed as ever, tending toward great here and there. It's just some loud people doing their thing.

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wakanda Forever and Angela Basset are nominated for Oscars, right? That's a pretty good critical reception.

TCF-1138 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Phase Four has been similar to Phase Two in terms of critical response. Not as glowing as Phase Three but overall pretty solid. The only really bad mark it got was Eternals (which I don’t quite understand as I think it’s a solid film.)

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    In addition to Eternals tanking with critics, you’ve also got Thor Love and Thunder which had everything going for it (sequel to a beloved film, by fan favourite director, huge name actor as the villain, Thor himself enjoying a boost in popularity coming off Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame) and yet, that movie didn’t really enjoy a positive reception either. It’s currently the lowest rated of the Thor films and made less than its predecessor. So it’s not just a case of audiences not connecting with new characters.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Black Widow 79%, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 91%, Eternals 47%, Spider-Man: No Way Home 93%, Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness 74%, Thor: Love and Thunder 63%, Black Panther 84%, WandaVision 91%, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier 84%, Loki 92%, What If…? 94%, Hawkeye 92%, Moon Knight 86%, Ms. Marvel 98%, She-Hulk 80%, Werewolf by Night 90%, The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special 93%.

So yeah like I said Phase Four has been pretty solid throughout especially the TV shows which have almost all been critical hits. Eternals and Thor are the only two below 70% approval so I’d say that’s pretty good. Can we move on from this idea that Phase Four has been a huge disappointment now?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Marvel is still ahead of DC and no matter what they come out with it will take light years before they can even scratch the surface of Marvel.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Personally, I thought Eternals and Thor were both better than several others on that list. Opinions, amirite?

theorenwulf likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    True. Marvel puts out 27 movies a year and 49 TV shows.

Overall, perhaps. Though DC still has the reigning champ of movies, the Dark Knight trilogy. Nothing Marvel has done comes even close to that level of quality. A totally different league.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The Dark Knight trilogy is great. The Batman is better. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  22. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    A few shows a yr is nothing compared to what the MCU does (and it's not a complaint, I'm a big fan). Having TBB, Mando, & Ahsoka this yr is pretty reasonable and that's what we know about.

23. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I think they should definitely try to distinguish the shows so that they stand out from each other. One of the problems with TBoBF for me was that it was essentially Season 2.5 of The Mandolorian. Even The Bad Batch and Obi-Wan Kenobi kind of adopt The Mandolorian's "wolf and cub" premise. I enjoyed most of those shows, but that format is getting a bit tiring.

I think that's one of the reasons people responded so positively to Andor. It felt fresh and it explored gritty side to the Rebellion that we rarely see from Star Wars. It's okay to have pulpy shows like Mando, but they should definitely aim to go beyond that from time to time. The Acolyte could potentially be good.

24. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree, whether you liked it or not (I did), TBOBF was very connected to Mando. Now, I do disagree on the other hand with you. I'd never get OWK and TBB mixed up but I get your point. I did think Andor was a good show and really liked its feel. I hope we get more seasons.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Star Wars live action has been phenomenal and definitely would like to see more but only if its worth it and good. Just coming out with a story and slap Star Wars on it will not work anymore. I heard that Lando may have been cancelled.

cwustudent likes this.