main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Luke series?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My body is ready.
    Hopefully his cgi'ed body is ready.

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm getting "Pierce Brosnan is playing Thrawn" flashbacks

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Guardians of the New Republic should be the Ewoks and Gungans.

"I have spoken"

5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Even as a painting there’s something a little bit “off” about Luke’s stare.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Guardians of the New Republic sounds like an amazing film title.

Star Wars Episode I: Guardians of the New Republic

:D

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  8. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    That would be great, but unfortunately Andor, while being critically acclaimed, has the lowest viewership among all SW live-action shows. Of course, the numbers are still good, but if Iger is going to cut costs, highly sophisticated SW shows like Andor will be the first on the chopping block.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I find it funny that Iger said in HBO'S 'halcyon days' when they easily have the best television programming going on currently as well. Mandalorian is popcorn fun but it doesn't exactly have the acclaim that HBO's programming does.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    kalzeth likes this.
  10. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Do you really think they would be that narrow sighted to do away with highly sophisticated SW shows because they think the sophistication is the problem? Don't get me wrong, you may certainly be right, but Andor is only one show and that's a small sample size to judge by. Plus, Andor had certain "disadvantages" like no Jedi/Force and no big name recognizable characters, and the amorphous complaint of "not feeling like Star Wars." I think they can make hugely successful sophisticated SW shows if they do it with the right ingredients.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Fredrik Vallestrand and Sarge like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Acolyte will be that.

Cos Palpatine likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I bet $7 that the Acolyte will be campy AF

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Im thinking Acolyte will be a mix of Andor and Mandalorian. We will get camp and the serious dark stuff.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Campy Sith in SW? That would be unprecedented! o_O

15. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    I know that Disney are not stupid and Iger in particular is very good in what he does. But, ultimately, it is a corporation whose main goal is to make money and, if their analysis shows that shows like TBoBF have wider audience than shows like Andor and, due to budget reasons, they can make only one of them, they will not hesitate to cut the latter.

Of course, it is not that simple as high-brow series like Andor increase the franchise's standing with critics, which, in turn, may attract new types of audiences. But if the emphasis is to make Disney+ profitable by the end of 2024, they may turn to short-term solutions.

In any case, it will not affect Andor as its final season is already in production. And this last season will have more recognizable faces, which, as you indicated, combined with a good word of mouth, may improve the viewership.

Sarge, Cos Palpatine and 2Cleva like this.
  16. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I've thanked the Maker many times for this fact ;)

Lomer2012 likes this.
  17. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    I admit I am disappointed that recent comments and news make the possibility of alot of new announcements at Celebration much less like likely. Seems at the least we are in for a more subdued Celebration on the show front compared to the last couple. I think chances of a Boba Fett Seaon 2 and something like a Han series are down a bit now.

On the Iger front, I wonder how long he is to remain at Disney this time around. Or more specifically, what sort of bonuses kick in for his compensation at what point. If he has contractual incentives around increasing profit, then just cutting costs while being conservative about increasing revenue could work. Now could cheapening out on the shows hurt the franchise long-term? Well, sure, but if you increase profits, earn your contractual rewards and leave before fallout kicks in, may not matter to a CEO. So while, Disney's profits are the concerns of its shareholders, as a fan, sorry to hear these rumbling. Oh well; nothing to do but remain positive, hope for the best and pick out what I enjoy.

Lomer2012 likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Really its got nothing to do with quality. Its about viewership. Its about money. The quality could be terrible but if people are watching then that over rights everything. The idea here is to expand quality and get a bigger audience. But that doesnt always happen.

Its confirmed that Solo is what hurt the Star Wars movie brand because it flopped.

19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Iger clearly seems intent on increasing the quality of their content, which is absolutely something that needed to be done. I def approve of a less is more approach.

I don't think it means a show like Fett won't be made; it's just the creators know now that it has to be approached differently. Fett is interesting because despite it's obvious problems, it was still viewed a lot, but this was likely due to name recognition. So because of that recognition, I think we'll see another season at some point, but they will handle it with more time and care this time.

It's good for the creatives not to be worried about producing volume and instead producing quality.

Disney losing money is a good because it's going to result in even better shows.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    i have always said it, the Solo, despite being liked by some was a box office flop that just brought star wars movies down to the ground, and of course TROS was terrible. If that movie would come out now, I highly doubt it would even make Ant Man numbers. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting anything star wars because we really haven't gotten anything. The usual Bad Batch, and now some hippy dippy kiddie jedi adventure later this year and the Star Wars Visions 2. On the live action side Andor season 2 is still off, and there is no gurantee that we are going to either dig the Acolyte or Ashoka. The Mandalorian season 3 is more of the same as season 1 so far. Nothing new, same red lasers, same quest, same team and rahh rahh rahh.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Good Jon Favreau interview. Goes a lot into future of Star Wars.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/03/...g-for-a-new-generation-of-star-wars-fans.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The music in that interview stressed me out. Like, for real.

But I like how Favreau emphasized that they need to satisfy the fans from the different eras - originals, prequels, Clone Wars, and sequels.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    This new episode showed that.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Seeing Coruscant Opera house and all was pretty neat. I liked Coruscant in Andor as well, but seeing classic places from ROTS and TCW in live action was so cool. They also showed apartment areas like those seen in Andor and docks we saw previously in the Bad Batch and industrial section from AOTC. I like it how they all fit on the same planet. Coruscant is great place to see on screen, there is so much places to see after all and it makes it feel so real to see same places in different eras.

One of the greates mistakes was not to see Coruscant at all in sequels...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  25. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Having solely two seasons for Andor is probally a good thing because thats the one Star Wars show that would likely get cancelled before completting a five season run

cwustudent and Lomer2012 like this.