main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm fairly sure it wasn't Disney's decision to stop TCW. My best guess, it was an issue with CN, as they're competing companies.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    And makes more

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, we know one thing, they have to do something. Its what they have to do that becomes the question. With the streaming service, it makes sense for Disney to go bigger. The big thing about the streaming service is that not everything is just going to be star wars. It will be their Disney movies, marvel stuff, star wars, all there animations and live action tv series and stuff like that. It will encompass everyone within the Disney family.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Which there is a lot of Disney stuff that I like as well. So that would convince me to subscribe to that service.

DJT likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In my opinion, chances that the next animated series will take place...

...before TPM: 50%, people seem to want it; it doesn't affect any other timeframe directly especially if it's 1000 years before TPM, also it doesn't have to be KOTOR related but it can reference those events I suppose (I know very little to almost nothing about KOTOR)
    ...between TPM & AOTC: 5%, while it would be neat to see more young Anakin & Obi-wan adventures, I think the new series will have new characters as a focus and not deal directly with the main saga. That's what the movies are for.
    ...between AOTC & ROTS: 0%, it's TCW series and already exists
    ...between ROTS & R1/ANH: 0%, it's Rebels series and already exists
    ...between ANH & ESB: 5%, a lot of that is being covered in the comics currently
    ...between ESB & ROTJ: 5%, with a year's worth of time, I don't see them putting a lot of production effort into this time period
    ...between ROTJ & TFA: 35%, some of the novels are covering this area, but there is still a lot of time that can still be covered, especially concerning Luke and Ben Solo, I guess it depends on what we get in TLJ. Maybe this would be a focus after Ep #9. Again, it could be during this time period and focus on only new characters.
    ...between TFA & TFJ: 0%, based on a production video from Rian Johnson, 8 picks up right where 7 leaves off. I look forward to what the crawl will say...
    ...after TLJ: 0%, they're not going to release anything before the movie comes out concerning this timeframe

In summary, I think the next animated series is most likely going to either be (a) before TPM or (b) between ROTJ & TFA.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Too early for an Old Republic series, even though I really want to see it.

7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I agree overall, though I think it's the other way round and a post-ROTJ series is more likely than a pre-TPM series.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I want to get as far away from the movies in the next show.

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The period between RoTJ and TFA is better left to a book series/on going comic series.

My interest for future TV (besides finishing clone wars) lies 1000+ years before TPM.

Unfortunately that period and even a post-RoTJ show will suffer if it maintains Rebels lvl of budget to use. Besides not getting to see another galactic scale war on screen because of the cost, you are very limited to showing various civilizations/cities throughout the galaxy. Whether its pre-TPM or post-RoTJ, Coruscant should appear again. But a rebels budget won't allow that, and it wouldn't allow other world building acts to take place either. You would be limited in seeing small parts of the GFFA.

It would be even worse if a future show is not allowed to go darker then Rebels presented and also sticks to just telling stories from the perspective of a small group.

Disney should increase the budget in the next TV project.

TetsuAero and kalzeth like this.
  10. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I think that the ultimate answer to this question probably dovetails with the big unknowns (for us as fans) about what Lucasfilm is planning to do after 2020. If the plan is to stick around in the classic era, then I'd imagine that the next show will do so, too. Between RoTJ-TFA would follow the same basic 'filling in the gaps' prequel approach as TCW and Rebels. Something could also come after the current film trilogy, which would be a bit refreshing.

But if Lucasfilm is planning to make a bigger shift in the next decade, then a show could be used to help set that up, something Old Republic or similar.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I just think they (LFL and Disney) should look at which episodes of TCW and Rebels were the most popular...the ones that either connected/referenced the movies or had elements of the EU/Legends. A SW show for the general public audience will need to do that...connect to the movies and other known sources (i.e. books, comics, games, etc.)...ya know, just like the Story Group said would happen. For those reasons, I don't think we'll be seeing a show (animation or live action) set in a time period too far removed from the "Saga" movies.

I also think LFL/Disney should adjust their target audience to pre-teens and early-teens (about 12-15) vice 7-10 years old (as it seems to be with Rebels).

While, as someone that grew up with the OT, I'd love to see a new show pick up just after RotJ (using voice actors for all of the main characters: Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, etc.), I think it's more likely that it'll be set during Ben Solo's adolescence and will have somewhat of a PT Anakin feel to it. By that I mean that Luke will be training him, Ben will be the "hero", but we'll see some hints of who he is to become. And since Poe was born just after RotJ, he'll be in the show too. We could even see Finn's origin story. Depending on what we learn of Rey and Snoke in TLJ, they could be in the show too. However, Rey would be an infant or toddler. And, I don't think we're going to be getting too much about Snoke's past in TLJ, so I think we'll only get a little bit about him from his interest in Ben (as Leia mentions in Bloodlines). That's my guess.

Of course, they could pull another Rebels and tell a story with all new characters and just have "known" characters enter the picture a little as the story goes on, but still have it set after RotJ.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I like it being new characters because it makes it more suspenseful.

13. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I think that before we tackle another animated series, Disney should consider tackling completing the clone war series. That way it gives time for the Han Solo Anthology movie and the sequel movies to come out and do good. That's just me.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I hope this next show we get isn't another CG series. Can we get a 2D or live action series, please?

redxavier and kalzeth like this.
  15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    For financial, marketing and ratings reasons, the next series surely has to be set between ROTJ and TFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Hasn't Filoni stated that the new Show they're planning, will not follow the "bridging" patterns of TCW and Rebels? That it will be something that stand on its own feet?

Maybe they follow the paths of 1313/Underworld and do it with animation instead of Life-Action.

17. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I haven't read anything about Filoni saying anything of the sort. From where did you hear/read that?

TetsuAero likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    On today's Star Wars Talk Tuesdays

John Campea brings up a question at the 23 minute mark about someone asking if the next Filoni series is going to take place in the Old Republic era. He doesn't say anything at all other than that he knows what the next series is going to be but can't say anything about it right now (which he has been saying for close to a year now). So on the surface you can't really make much of it but you do have to ask if Campea can't say anything about it why is he even bringing that question up. I don't believe he even comes close to answering all the questions people submit so why would he even bother with that particular question in the first place?

Of course I guess it is entirely possible he is just trying to show off that he knows stuff we don't but he also might be trying to say something without saying anything at all.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Here is an idea of what may be going on. There is a lot of talk that when Disney starts up their streaming service in a couple years they do plan on making a live action show (and presumably a Game of Thrones style series). Maybe that Game of Thrones style live action series is Filoni's next project.

Star Wars Rebels is just about over with. The streaming service is supposed to debut sometime in 2019 (probably towards the end around the time of Ep. IX). Given that they have been working on the new series for almost a year now that would give them plenty of time to have a full first season developed and ready for release for the streaming service's debut in a couple years.

Sorry. Got excited about the idea and made a double post.

20. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Good Question (not for another time)... i think it was a video with Filoni. Maybe from the last Celebration. I will looking for it.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The next cartoon show i am gonna guess will be set after episode 6 with lukes academy and will be expanded apon like they did with Clone wars.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know about another animation series, I mean yea I forsee a season three of the freemakers that's a given, but I also see with this new announcement everything leaning towards the subscription service. Great way to cash in the star wars phenomenon and the opening of its theme park? Wow talk about a money machine they are going to generate cash on demand..... Johnson has really left a mark if they like him a lot to do a trilogy of movies. That says something.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    We'll get another animated series. It's a potential gateway for new fans, plus there are some things they can only really do in animation (like OT characters between ROTJ & TFA). It's an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan!

Next month - The Last Jedi
    2018 - Solo and most likely a new animated series
    2019 - Episode IX and maybe live action series (is it confirmed to launch with the streaming service? If not then it may be 2020)
    2020 - Either next Story or RJ Trilogy I
    2021 - RJ Trilogy I or next Story

25. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    podjazd and ChrisLyne like this.