main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Amazing. The spin-off show Disney and Lucas Film put a lot of faith into to 'test the water' of live action Star Wars TV has been so darn good and well received its garnered 3, THREE spinoff series for Itself. What a time to be a Star Wars fan.

2. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    My biggest fear right now with all the upcoming tv shows is that following them is that some may feel like a chore to keep up with, especially if/when they start to crossover. I can honestly say that Andor, Lando, and Boba don't really interest me at all because I'm craving stories with new characters, especially coming off the Mandalorian season 2 which felt like nothing but cameos. I'm going to be very disappointed if Star Wars' future for the next 5-10 eyes are the same old characters we're use to.

But hopefully if the High Republic does well enough as expected we'll get more shows than just Acolyte.

ladygrey45 and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Since Lucasfilm has been so silent on Luke Skywalker, I wonder are they saving something for the Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian season two special on Christmas Day?

It would be a nice gift to go along with the gift that they've already given us.

A gift that keeps on giving, if you will.

RetropME likes this.
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i just hope they end it somehow.. sometime.. don't want it to last forever. Also im a traditionalist and for me it's a big screen thing... no matter how much i adore Mando it looses something through the tv/phone /laptop medium

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Star Wars will never end so long as it’s profitable. Shows will end, but the brand will probably survive another few decades at least

Outsourced and themoth like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I still wish we saw more expansion tv wise pre TPM.

I’m a bit worried the Acolyte is only going to be 50 or so years before TPM, not really getting that much benefit in setting the story in a different era.

With the popularity of baby Yo....I mean Grogu.....does anyone think we will eventually see actual baby yoda? High Republic Yoda is going to get the spotlight soon, but even he is only 200yrs younger then his TPM self, and still a Jedi Master. Maybe one day we will get a young apprentice Yoda, and a series about him and his master.

Early Republic could become a new era without resorting to Old Republic territory. When Yoda was a young apprentice, the Galactic Republic wasn’t even 200 years old. The Republic formed 1032BBY and Yoda was born 896BBY.

It would be interesting to see The Republic still “young” (and the consequences from it) not yet reaching its golden age of the High Republic. A period that though living memory of the Sith doesn’t exist in humans anymore, some long lived species, maybe some Jedi, still remember the horrors of the Fall of the Old Republic. There might still be lingering scars/damages from the last war, that have not yet healed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  7. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    there has to be an exhaustion point.. particularly on tv. have always thought it shouldn't go past a time when the original fans can't see the end of the story. Also id be uncomfortable if/when GL dies and it just carried on... it should end out of respect

8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Lucas had always envisaged Star Wars becoming a TV show. It was a progression he seriously believed in.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He always wanted to make a TV show based on the underworld. It just wasn’t feasible as the cost was to high. Cost doesn’t matter to Disney

10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    oh yes I've no worries about the TV medium tho i think something is lost on small screen.. just hope they've made their money in say ten years or by the fiftieth anniversary

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It will become more of a TV based series than film, and that content will double the Saga and Anthology content.

12. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    While I love the idea of more good Star Wars, I hope all these series are coming because they actually have stories to tell. This is the company that, you know, started the Sequel Trilogy with no plan leading to a result that had a very mixed response to say the least. I dont want churned out quantity over quality.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It will be to tell stories but also to get subcribers to disney plus, The Sequels were rushed becuase they wanted back their money fast, but i think they have learned, witch is why we are not getting more standalone movies.

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I feel like another 3-5 shows will be greenlit by next year. whether it ends up being

Crimson Dawn.
    Luke Skywalker.
    Mace Windu.
    Han Solo.
    Something else.

Who knows.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the Luke show is bound to happen in 2023-2024. Maybe a prequel show outside of Acolyte. Between TPM and ATOC, come on.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thing is every show ends up leading to another. so if Dave Filoni suddenly said hey i want to make an Ezra show... which has been rumoured, then Disney will judge on all his past projects and then probably greenlight an ezra show. i think a Mace Windu show would very much depend on the success of Obi Wan. and anything like Han Solo or Crimson Dawn will probably depend on Lando. and anything in the high republic will depend on that show.

This is why 3 Mandalorian Spin offs have been given the go-ahead, because the success of that show has given Disney the confidence to push ahead with said creative team.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Acolyte like Madnalorian will spin off shows if a success. Lando and Kenobi the same. I think they might want a crimson Dawn sho and Han Solo so we get two solo projects. ANd Kenobi migh be key to give shows to legacy characters.

18. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Since Lucasfilm has been quiet about Luke all week, it would be nice to get something in the Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian.

And funny, at an hour-long it'll be longer than any episode of the season.

Other than that, yep, hopefully the success of Obi-Wan Kenobi leads to a young Mace Windu series.

Das wäre ausgezeichnet. That would be excellent.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think for now Mace Windu is an idea that might soon became reality and that depends on Kenobi.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Isn’t Samuel L Jackson busy with the Secret Invasion show for Marvel on Disney + already?

I don’t think there will be a Mace Windu show.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Sure, but in this show he would have a small role whole a recasting for younger actor on his early life as a jedi.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Other than the ST, every major project LFL has put out has been a specific idea someone came up with and sought to follow through on. For the ST they were like, "okay we're doing Episode VII, **** knows what it'll be about but we're doing it", but like, Rogue One for example, was always "okay we're doing the story of how the Death Star plans were captured" and Mando was always "okay we're doing Lone Wolf and Cub in Star Wars". Perhaps the only upcoming one where the "what we're doing" that was a little iffy was Kenobi, but it seems they've nailed down what they're doing with that by now. All the other announced series seem to be stories their creators are passionate about and have defined visions for, so at the moment I don't think they're aiming for quantity over quality, but an even level of quantity and quality.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt we get any announcements during the Mandalorian documentary

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I would be interested in seeing how many people actually care for a Mace Windu show.

I think I would be invested in the Lando show even more than that, and that's saying a lot, considering I really don't need a show about Lando.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  25. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Right. And therein lies the trick. What would the show be about? That's what they would have to sell to the audience.

For some characters name alone is enough. Just say the name Luke Skywalker and that's enough. Sold. Done.

Say Mace Windu and it's, "Okay, what would it be about?"

I was never a huge Mace Windu fan, so when a rumored young Mace Mindu series appeared back in September it was like, "Okay, fine." Fine if it happens, fine if it doesn't. Then I thought about what I'd actually like to see in a Mace Windu show.

Like before, I'd like to see a Mace Windu show where we leaned that it was Mace Windu who saved Grogu from the Temple and that was his last heroic act. And then the actual show would be about a young Mace Windu going through the nine steps of the Jedi Trails. And the ninth and final step in the Jedi Trails is protection. And that completes the circle with him saving and protecting little Grogu.

I had thought you could easily spread that out over three seasons (three trials per season), but 10 to 12 episodes is perhaps the max you can get out of that. And that's fine, that's enough.

Or, naturally, they could do a Mace Windu show about something completely different. And there we're back to the trick.

So yep, like with everything, it's all in the execution.

Because I had thought, would I really care about a young Obi-Wan Kenobi series?

A young Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon series, yes, no question. A Obi-Wan and young Anakin series? At first maybe not. But yeah, they could probably do something in that 10 years that would be interesting. And re-cast Ewan McGregor and everything else. It wouldn't be my top pick, because I still can't really imagine what they could do that would be that interesting to me, the movies were enough. But again with the trick and what it would be about...

And of course me being a Jedi guy, first, foremost, and always, any character that's not a Jedi I'm looking for the Force connection as my hook. And if that's not there, then yeah... ruh-roh. :cool:

I'm trying to think what would my ideal Ahsoka series would be about. It certainly wouldn't be about some damn Thrawn, but... :cool:

No, it's Christmas time. Joyous and jolly. Ho ho ho.