main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Talon Intel Squad.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Idiots Array, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I think TIS should disappear into the mists, never to be seen. Or will they...? Sort of like a cliffhanger, and then the new TIS should be a reunion of sorts. Anybody catching my drift?

2. stoneheart

stoneheart Jedi Master star 1

Nov 25, 1999
    You guys are right: if we are going to end with this chapter, we'd better know how it's gonna end. The last thing we need is to pull an Evangelion.

Personally, though, I'd rather continue with what we have now as compared to starting from scratch. We currently have a host of established characters, backstory, etc. Admittedly, some of the threads have gotten so entwined together, it's hard to keep straight, but that's part of the joys of groupfic. Adapt, and grow.

On the other hand, all we've managed to do so far is trash a perfectly good Dreadnaught and a shipyard. Anyone here think the NR higher-ups will let them keep going? Didn't think so.

Besides, even if we start over, it doesn't neccessarily mean we kill everyone off. Personally, I've got a side-story planned for after Stone gets out of Intel. The first sign of an established franchise: spin-offs! (Merchandising comes later. ;) )

So, either way, mes amies, I'm sticking around.

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Er...is TSL gonna finish that post...? :D

4. Albion

Albion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Dunno.

I say we get cut loose. Turn TIS into a merc team, that way instead of taking orders, we're taking jobs. Most of the groups is on their way there anyways... at least as far as I see, and especially since if we're 'cut loose' we can fight Carre without the benefit of Intel watching over our shoulders.

As for ending this... we should rescue Stone, then probably agree that the group should cut ties with the NRI and go solo against Carre. After all, she's caused hellish amounts of grief for most of the characters. Payback is a mother.

It doesn't seem like much, but it would be an important step. This is a group made up of crazies, near-criminals, and several malcontents, whose only leash is tenuous at best. Yes it means no more Dradnaughts and Space Battles and Rank to Pull... but that's a good thing. There's things about this that need to go. We've worked ourselves away from SSD and Star Destroyers... we could probably shimmy it down to something like a Medium Cargo ship, or something along those lines.

Okay, so I'm rambling... feel free to cut me off at any time.

5. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Trika: No. (i.e. "Free at last! Thank gosh almighty I'm free at last.") :\

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I'm all for revamping and starting over. It'll be fun to recreate the relationships and see how thing develop, what stays the same and what changes. :) It's so much like AU stuff that I can't help but bounce with anticipation.

As for finishing the current chapter... I didn't really have all that much of an idea of where it was going, let alone where it was. I'd feel just fine leaving it lay where it is, incomplete and dying a slow, painful death. But then, I'm cruel that way.

7. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I kinda like Albion's idea...

8. Darth Muis

Darth Muis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I still think we should start all over again. I do like Albion's idea though. :)

9. Mara Jade Emperor's Hand

Mara Jade Emperor's Hand Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    Not so sure I want to start over after coming this far. But that's just me.

Hear me and my point of view out. I am not a frequent poster. I am aware of this, and do not need it pointed out to me. But in ten days, I will have been with this story for two years. I've devoted more hours than I can count to all things TIS related, so I think I have a fair bit of perspective here. And I apologize in advance if I offend any one. It's not my intent to be rude, but I am through with politeness, it's time for me to be honest.

I know I haven't posted this chapter, but that's because of unfortunate real life circumstances, not out of any lack of interest in writing. Up until a week ago when I became caught up in Study Hell for next week's finals, I was checking the story every day and waiting for an opportunity to kick all the real life crap out of the way and write something.

Personally, I kinda liked where the story was going. I don't ask much of the plot except that it interest me and give me a chance to write interesting things for my characters, and it was doing that just fine. However, I understand completely that my views aren't held by everyone, and I'm not going to try to impose them on you.

If you all want to start over, I'll start over with you. Blank slate and all. (And probably a slightly more original name than "Mara Jade" for my Talon character.)

But if we start over, that's almost two years of character development down the drain for my characters, and two years of wonderful writing by all of you and those who are no longer among our ranks, and I'm not sure that letting all that go is something I can particularily look forward to.

When it comes to deciding whether or not we start over, I abstain from casting a vote one way or another. Just seriously ask yourselves if you're sure that's what you really want to do.

-mjeh

p.s. Oh, by the way, if you do decide to start over and all... no offense, but personally I really don't want to bother with wrapping up the current chapter. If we're going to start over, we should just do it without delay. Otherwise, we'll end up expending time and energy just trying to finish up the current thread and I'm sorry, but that strikes me as pretty much pointless. If we're going to kill it and start over, so be it, but don't drag it out any further if that's what we're doing. Let it die and be done with it, already.

10. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Ok, it looks like everyone who is active (and even a few old faces) have had a chance to post and express their ideas. So far the numbers break down like this:

(In the case that someone has voted twice I'm counting their latest post.)

Muis: Start over
    Trika: Albion's idea
    Lilith: Start over
    Albion: I'll assume he wants to go with his own idea, even though he has posted votes going both ways.
    Stone: Says he doesn't want to start over, so since he hasn't posted any other ideas I'll count him as "Albion's Idea".
    Mara: Start over (she told me so herself)

I'm not quite sure how to interperet Fluke's vote, so we'll leave it off for the moment until I can get him to clarify.

That means it would be tied right down the middle if it came to a vote.

Personally I'm leaning towards starting over and here's why: more flexibility. We can start wherever we want to. New characters? New time period? We start fresh, bringing with us only the things that work for us, and leaving behind the massive backstory that has actually kept several otherwise interested people from joining. Besides that (and no offense intended) we have to pick up the slack for retiring TSL's characters.

Here's my idea: we start over. Decide on which characters come over to the new story and which don't, and decide on a setting (past, future, which planet, etc.). I'll put Trika in charge of organizing everything concerning wrapping up the current chapter. Use whatever resources you need to, we're all available to help however we can. Everybody else start on ideas for the new thread. Post ideas here while I work on getting the new Nest up and running. Then we can make a clean transition to the new story.

What say you all?

India Alpha

11. Mara Jade Emperor's Hand

Nov 1, 1999
    Yes, I know, I just did a total 180. I ended up changing my mind after writing that big long post about two years of character development... thing is, I just realized that when I'm honest with myself, as much as I love the work we've done in the last two years it's just so much easier to start over. Thus the sudden change in the tune MJEH's singing... figured I owed an explanation.

I think that the plan sounds good, and I think it sounds very feasible. I'm for it if it's cool with you all.

-mjeh

12. Albion

Sep 18, 2000
    Okay... since it is a good idea, I just want to say that I know that several people have been needing something like this. Myself REALLY REALLY REALLY included.

I think what broke my back finally was when I wrote that loooooong post (23 pages on Microsoft Word. whew). I haven't been able to muster up much after that, and I think it showed.

When we do start over... I'd like to request to keep Ghost as an active character. Its fairly easy to alter his past for more extensive spec-force training, and keep several things like the minor schizophrenia quirk and the cybernetics.

But, I'd also like to keep the bond between him and Nashraak. For that part, I leave it with Lilith to see what she wants to do. I think that what happened there was something just too unique to lose easily.

If you decide not to keep Nash, Lil... I understand. Don't worry. No guilt or pressure.

(This is the longest post I've written in a while. Wow, it seems to be working, just like with MJ. Pretty Cool.)

If it looks like we're all going to rebuild from scratch... and I mean EVERYONE, then I do have a suggestion.

We build the group as a team, where every position is covered for the type of team we're building here. It's only fair so that we all know what each person will bring to the group.

I again refer you to Dennis Miller.

13. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Albion, I like that suggestion.

And MJEH, those two years won't be lost. Their still there in the 18 finished chapters. :)

14. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
  15. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I would have to agree with Mara when she said that if we are to start over, we should just leave the current chapter as is...it would be a lot of wasted work only to wind up one chapter...

I am all for starting over...don't get me wrong. I have been very lenient about such decisions in the past, because I love TIS, and again, any way we decide to go is wonderful for me, simply because I love writing with a group as talented and as fun as those who write with TIS.

If we are starting over, which I do believe we will in the end, I would also like to keep my character, as Albion has also stated his wishes. No "Kenobi," however, as Mara has also stated her dislike of unoriginality, as mine obviously reeks of it.

Shall we confirm starting over? I have someone who may be interested in writing for TIS is we decide to clear the slate.

What time frame should we occupy...? Suggestions on that...?

16. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    To answer Trika's question of time frame, I'd kinda like to work in the Rebellion Era, say around the time of Hoth. I like the whole 'it is a dark time for the Rebellion' part, when the Empire is at it's strongest. But I could go either way.

What does everyone else think?

17. Albion

Sep 18, 2000
    Well... everything goes downhill after Yavin, simply because the Rebellion is treated like a serious threat instead of being just a supposed mish-mash of bickering rebel cells.

Yeah, I like it!

Again, I'll wait for the general concensus of keeping or dropping characters.

18. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    If I have any say, I say "drop the characters." Start over, dudes.

19. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    How about we finish the current chapter, then start anew, only in the new TIS, we're Imperials? Please voice your opinions on this idea.

I think it would be awesome, since the Imperials are cooler than the Rebels.

20. Darth_Mentos

Darth_Mentos Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2000
    I can agree to start over. I also wouldn't mind keeping my character around as I would still like to develop him, although if we start over at the time of Hoth Tain would be still part of his smugglers group, so in that case I would start a new character.

My opinion would be to start in the future since Albion, Trika, and now myself have stated that we would like to keep our characters, I have an idea. Kinda like a TIS: The Next Generation. Stop the groaning and let me finish. It would be kinda ironic if the younger characters like Trika, Freyja, Telia and Tain were now the grizzled old veterans. I think it would be an interesting storyline. As Albion has said, quote Dennis Miller.

21. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Personaly, I'm very fond of the after-Yavin period. It's just so dark and everything. So having the new TIS take place in that time frame would be excellent.

But I have to say that I also like Mentos's idea. I'm not sure which one to choose...

22. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Truth being, I just like my character's qualities...so if we drop the characters completely, I'll probably be stubborn and just make up a new name for my old character... :p

But again, I would not mind if everyone wanted to drop every character...I would make up another character if that is the wish of the rest of TIS. It would suck, but I would do it. :D

I'm fond of the after-Yavin period as well...more of a threat than simply making up a threat like we have done for our story thus far...

23. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    Ok, we'll just ignore my idea, and not even comment on it.

And, Mentos, I'm a young character, too. Thanks for noticing.

24. Mara Jade Emperor's Hand

Nov 1, 1999
    My 2 decicreds on all the ideas presented so far:

1. Rebellion era = good. All the ideas sound good, but this is my personal fave.

2. The "future TIS" thing sounds cool and all, but I think that we'd run into many of the same problems we've been having already if we did that. Besides, even just a few years after our current time frame, the Imperial threat is waning.

3. Fluke: your idea for doing an Imperial squad is cool too... it's actually been attempted in various forms before. (And I think you can tell from my icon where I stand on the Imperial issue!) However, I don't want to do that with TIS because I like what we have as it is. Besides, making that big a change would be a huge undertaking and could end up getting a lot of people confused, bored, or turned off from the story.

4. I am strongly against dropping my characters unless you all absolutely insist. I'll change them as much as necessary to fit with the chosen time frame, but I am far too invested in them to just up and abandon them. They are the reason I write for TIS in the first place.

5. Let me stress it again. Please, if we're going to start over, which it looks like we're doing... let's just decide what we're doing and do it. Forget finishing the current chapter. Waste of time.

-mjeh

p.s. Fluke: notice that Mentos said "the younger characters like Trika, Frejya, Telia and Tain". By all means not a definitive list and nothing to get worked up about if your character wasn't mentioned. Mara's not exactly a grizzled veteran herself, either. ;)

25. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    I think we should finish the current chapter. Otherwise, what was the point of beginning it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.