main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    #ReleaseJacenLekku

hey, worked for #ReleaseSnyderCut :cool:

2. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I think Yoda had even thought to himself in one of the novels that once the wars had ended that he would petition the government to help the Jedi re-locate to a less developed world so that they could re-connect with their older style of living, so this would be a nice change

3. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    It would be cool to see the Jedi on a pilgrimage of sorts back to Tython to reconnect with the original principles of balance vs.light and dark. There is a lot of potential for the journey of discovery let alone what they find/do once they get there. As much as I would rather move forward with new characters it might make a good story line for Rey as a means of reconciling the internal conflict resulting from being a product of the dark side.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There hasn't been talk on this for a while, but I'm wondering if anyone's opinions have changed, or anyone new wants to contribute?

5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm pessimistic about the evening a future for the Force/users post TROS.

Firstly, I don't think there's a will to explore it beyond the remaining fans.

Secondly, if it is explored, there seem to be Force powers creeping in which go way beyond the "original" limits of the Force. This may either result in ever-increasing super hero fights or fans wondering "why don't they just Force Skype or Force transport objects to overcome that problem"? The Ezra, Ahsoka and Rey stories all go from humble awakening to magnificent powers, I guess to represent "maturing" with power.

I like @Vader Bob's idea of Rey exploring the idea of balance of power rather than light v dark, post-TROS. She could face trials/temptations. Lots of moral dilemmas. But even the interest in this will be short-lived if she always overcomes...

In-universe, I'd like to see Force-users with small powers getting involved in personal stories not necessarily galaxy-spanning conflicts. Again, lots of moral dilemmas and not all of them need to be victories...

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... this is why I'm hesitant to get excited about any focus on or expansion of the Force in any future movies.

7. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    To some degree it's due to the Jedi putting limits on the use of force for members of their order so we really never got to see it explored to the fullest. That's really the core of the Anakin story. I definitely have an interest in seeing the story move beyond Jedi and Sith as we know them to be. Fleshing out the history of how the Je'daii Order split into light and dark factions and how that skewed the concept of balance for future force users. Lots of opportunity for great stories involving the force still IMO.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen. The slippery slope that is the superheroization of force users could be really damaging to the integrity of the franchise. If Star Wars loses its grounding in reality, it loses its identity, IMO.

Shamear, Tho Yor, Lee_ and 3 others like this.
  9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The original movie stated that "the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force". While you can argue what was really meant with that, there isn't really anything comparable to suggest that force-abilities were limited in scope. And not too long ago, some people were arguing against Luke's death on the basis that using the force should never cause your own death, which is basically an argument that the character should have been stronger than that, not that the power was over the top.

If you go with "why didn't character X do Y?" you can basically take down every single work of fiction, especially when it leans on fantasy or science fiction. There are always plenty of situations where the characters conveniently achieve something they shouldn't, or a villain doesn't do something he clearly is capable of for no other reason than that the story needs the heroes not to die at that point.
    I think something like Poe shooting down five TIEs in a few seconds, while also taking out a bunch of stormtroopers, is much more of an issue than any use of the force. Fantastical powers being fantastical is much easier to make sense of than a "regular" person doing something that doesn't fit to what had been shown before.

It's not like they haven't put limits in place. Luke's death is an obvious example. Just like Rey and Ben being a dyad allowing them things that otherwise aren't possible. Dyads aren't exactly a common occurance. And they still got their rear kicked by Palpatine anyway.

Which isn't to say that there couldn't be scenes that feel a bit over the top or lack a proper explanation as for why it isn't used more often. I'm not sure if I need to see the transfer of objects again, even if there was a limit put on it due to who could do it. But at the same time you also can't expect stories to never add anything new in terms of the force. Repeating the same thing again and again won't be enticing to anyone either. And there are only so many ways you can make the same fights work without adding new and powerful abilities. There is always the danger of everyone just trying to top what came right before - the old EU was a prime example for that - but that shouldn't somehow limit concepts of what could be possible. Limits aren't really something that existed at the start of the franchise, and Lucas wasn't exactly one who would just stick with what existed instead of pushing for something new.

Awushi Awere and dolphin like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The next logical step is to transfer people to other locations, rather than just lightsabers. The next Jedi character will bypass the need for space travel and ships can become obsolete. Rey will be the transportation hub of the Galaxy.

Shamear, Tho Yor, ami-padme and 3 others like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Little did Rey know that her powers would lead her to...wearing a conductor hat and pulling levers all day.

EHT likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The post-ST government will be called the Re-Republic.

Shamear likes this.
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They should be careful not to Marvel-ize the Jedi I would agree.

The ROTS novel paints it that there are common abilities for Jedi, but some have unique or increased abilities in certain areas; for example, Windu was especially good at seeing the future. I think that works well. The problem would come in if they made these traits excessively powerful.

DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Agreed. Good post. If a vergence of the Force can create life imagine what a similar construct (dyad) could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Option 1B all day.

I prefer the Jedi to be as staid and aloof and set apart as they were pre-TPM. It gives them mystique. No need to change for change sake. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the Order at the time of TPM, in my opinion. Changing diapers and getting married is not the Jedi way. They are more akin to monks.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’d like to think Grogu was trained and lived peacefully, hidden away on a remote jungle/swamp type world somewhere and eventually came to train a small band of followers.

17. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think the natural progression is multiple temples with different ideologies. The group that allows marriage could be more like wandering clans/ nomadic/ tribal. The other group that doesn’t allow marriage could be centralized and working with the new republic. They are similar to PT Jedi but more militarized.

The struggle of ideological differences leads to a inner conflict on both sides. They could build a whole bunch of movies and series off this. Set it in the future with all new characters. No throwback characters. No Sith.

18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I want the new Jedi Order to look at the mistakes of their past and find a way to allow marriage & children. Also, I don't think it should be necessary for children to be taken from their families. These things should be the choice of each Jedi. ...I do think that the order should be centralized though, because like anything I think some sort of overall rules and governing should take place within the order. My original wish for the end of the sequel trilogy was to see Luke in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant at the end. We can't see that now, but I feel it would be great to see the old temple being used again after all this time.

19. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    The Jedi didn't ever just take children. I really wish I knew where this came from, but the choice is always given to the parents. The Clone Wars showed us that the Jedi approach the family and ask for consent first and the parents pretty much always said yes because of the huge honor associated with being a member of the Jedi Order. Qui-Gon gave Anakin the choice and he didn't sugar coat it either: "Even if you succeed, it's a hard life" The only group ever associated with actual kidnapping of Force Sensitives was the Sith. As far as marriage goes, I think allowing it is fine, but then you have to show how the 2 lifestyles conflict: How can a Jedi equally devote themselves to the Galaxy and a romantic partner? One is always going to have to take priority over the other, which does make for great drama, unless you have 2 Jedi decide to get hitched

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think one of the best things about the Jedi is that they can’t have families and must dedicate themselves 100% to the public good. Like the Guardians of Plato’s Republic. Such a standard might actually be super helpful when it comes to politicians here on Earth...

DannyD likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the future jedi can work like the air nomads from avatar they dedicates themself for the greater good and help on all matters that suit the better of the world, but they still had a wife and kid, but it didn't stop them from being air nomads. Like Ang from Avatar was a good man but flawed father and helped save the world. I think star wars can explore if that works for the jedi.

Ghost likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Agreed.

Like how well that worked for the Catholic Church?

And like how U.S. politicians without military service, or without children in the military, are more likely to start military interventions and wars?

Sarge likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK. I can also cherry pick hundreds of examples of political leaders serving their families nepotistically at the expense of the public good. There’s no ideal. Each approach to public service have their flaws.

But in the case of Buddhist warrior monks in space, I like the idea of non-attachment as a foundation of their galactic service. ;)

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't. I prefer the image of the idealized wandering European knights-errant, who were free to love and be loved the way most humans do. If that is taken away from people, it can lead to them losing touch with humanity, both their own and that of the ones around them.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Plus you can have healthy relationships with family, friends, romantic partners, etc. without going the unhealthy attachment route that puts you on the route to the dark side. And such as in the case of Luke and Anakin, and the impact of Rey/Leia on Luke and I’d argue the impact of Anakin on Obi-wan, even return people to the right path (and save the Galaxy).

Fredrik Vallestrand and Sarge like this.