main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

62.0%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

5.0%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

11.0%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

28.0%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

41.0%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

15.0%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

45.0%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

24.0%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    #ReleaseJacenLekku

hey, worked for #ReleaseSnyderCut :cool:

DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I think Yoda had even thought to himself in one of the novels that once the wars had ended that he would petition the government to help the Jedi re-locate to a less developed world so that they could re-connect with their older style of living, so this would be a nice change

3. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    It would be cool to see the Jedi on a pilgrimage of sorts back to Tython to reconnect with the original principles of balance vs.light and dark. There is a lot of potential for the journey of discovery let alone what they find/do once they get there. As much as I would rather move forward with new characters it might make a good story line for Rey as a means of reconciling the internal conflict resulting from being a product of the dark side.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    CernStormrunner and DannyD like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
    There hasn't been talk on this for a while, but I'm wondering if anyone's opinions have changed, or anyone new wants to contribute?

5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm pessimistic about the evening a future for the Force/users post TROS.

Firstly, I don't think there's a will to explore it beyond the remaining fans.

Secondly, if it is explored, there seem to be Force powers creeping in which go way beyond the "original" limits of the Force. This may either result in ever-increasing super hero fights or fans wondering "why don't they just Force Skype or Force transport objects to overcome that problem"? The Ezra, Ahsoka and Rey stories all go from humble awakening to magnificent powers, I guess to represent "maturing" with power.

I like @Vader Bob's idea of Rey exploring the idea of balance of power rather than light v dark, post-TROS. She could face trials/temptations. Lots of moral dilemmas. But even the interest in this will be short-lived if she always overcomes...

In-universe, I'd like to see Force-users with small powers getting involved in personal stories not necessarily galaxy-spanning conflicts. Again, lots of moral dilemmas and not all of them need to be victories...

6. EHT

EHT Anthology Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... this is why I'm hesitant to get excited about any focus on or expansion of the Force in any future movies.

ami-padme, DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    To some degree it's due to the Jedi putting limits on the use of force for members of their order so we really never got to see it explored to the fullest. That's really the core of the Anakin story. I definitely have an interest in seeing the story move beyond Jedi and Sith as we know them to be. Fleshing out the history of how the Je'daii Order split into light and dark factions and how that skewed the concept of balance for future force users. Lots of opportunity for great stories involving the force still IMO.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen. The slippery slope that is the superheroization of force users could be really damaging to the integrity of the franchise. If Star Wars loses its grounding in reality, it loses its identity, IMO.

Tho Yor, Lee_, ami-padme and 2 others like this.
  9. Oissan

Oissan Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The original movie stated that "the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force". While you can argue what was really meant with that, there isn't really anything comparable to suggest that force-abilities were limited in scope. And not too long ago, some people were arguing against Luke's death on the basis that using the force should never cause your own death, which is basically an argument that the character should have been stronger than that, not that the power was over the top.

If you go with "why didn't character X do Y?" you can basically take down every single work of fiction, especially when it leans on fantasy or science fiction. There are always plenty of situations where the characters conveniently achieve something they shouldn't, or a villain doesn't do something he clearly is capable of for no other reason than that the story needs the heroes not to die at that point.
    I think something like Poe shooting down five TIEs in a few seconds, while also taking out a bunch of stormtroopers, is much more of an issue than any use of the force. Fantastical powers being fantastical is much easier to make sense of than a "regular" person doing something that doesn't fit to what had been shown before.

It's not like they haven't put limits in place. Luke's death is an obvious example. Just like Rey and Ben being a dyad allowing them things that otherwise aren't possible. Dyads aren't exactly a common occurance. And they still got their rear kicked by Palpatine anyway.

Which isn't to say that there couldn't be scenes that feel a bit over the top or lack a proper explanation as for why it isn't used more often. I'm not sure if I need to see the transfer of objects again, even if there was a limit put on it due to who could do it. But at the same time you also can't expect stories to never add anything new in terms of the force. Repeating the same thing again and again won't be enticing to anyone either. And there are only so many ways you can make the same fights work without adding new and powerful abilities. There is always the danger of everyone just trying to top what came right before - the old EU was a prime example for that - but that shouldn't somehow limit concepts of what could be possible. Limits aren't really something that existed at the start of the franchise, and Lucas wasn't exactly one who would just stick with what existed instead of pushing for something new.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval TV Screaming Service / FFS! star 9 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    The next logical step is to transfer people to other locations, rather than just lightsabers. The next Jedi character will bypass the need for space travel and ships can become obsolete. Rey will be the transportation hub of the Galaxy.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Little did Rey know that her powers would lead her to...wearing a conductor hat and pulling levers all day.

EHT likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 26, 2009
    The post-ST government will be called the Re-Republic.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They should be careful not to Marvel-ize the Jedi I would agree.

The ROTS novel paints it that there are common abilities for Jedi, but some have unique or increased abilities in certain areas; for example, Windu was especially good at seeing the future. I think that works well. The problem would come in if they made these traits excessively powerful.

DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.