main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Here is a scene from Rise of Skywalker of a Jedi saving someone from death.

She learned that from the jedi books luke had.

Also they can bring people back from the dead/near death, since Ben does that.

The future Jedi could be healers. If Rey teaches others.

Awushi Awere and rocknroll41 like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You have been asked to drop the argument. Heed the request. It will not be repeated.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    "Attachment" in the "possessive" sense of the definition is what George was communicating - and he has made this very clear. Also, Anakin shows clear evidence of both controlling and jealous behavior, which fall under your definition of possessive. Anakin is also obsessive about preventing the death of his wife - someone he clearly has possessive feelings toward. He's obsessively possessive. These things can (and do) co-exist.

4. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    More like Qui Gon imo where they don't stick to code practices that won't work in every situation i think Qui Gon was the real epitome of a Jedi who managed to connect to the force the proper way even during the last days of the old Republic.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, Qui-Gon wasn't dogmatic in his approach. He understood that you had to flow with things. And that is why he made the discovery of retaining his spirit in the force. He didn't necessarily break the code, but he'd bend it when needed.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I would like somehow down the line some sort story that explains a bit more the Mortis Trilogy and the Force Priestess. But, more important, I want to see new and dynamic jedi and stories that move the franchise as a whole forward. I think we need to cross check some things and hopefully the future writers and directors realize that the force is not a Marvel power construct and thus try not to either emulate or showcase powers that can be considered too extreme.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  7. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    If we see Rey’s Jedi Order I feel it ought to have some notable differences from old Order. Apart from anything else Rey was a scavenger who raised herself in the middle of a desert, she wasn’t raised by monks in a fancy temple on Coruscant.
    I feel as though that ought to be reflected somehow

rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Scavenger Jedi who survive solely on their own whit and whim would be cool.

9. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Another thought: if we get Jedi stories post TROS, how many, and how often are people expecting force ghosts to show up?

Also: If we do see force ghosts; I know many people would probably want to see characters we're familiar with (Luke, Obi-wan, Yoda, Anakin ect…) but I think it would be cool if we met Jedi who existed centuries, or even millennia prior to the movies. The Jedi Order is supposed to thousands of years old, so there must be countless generations preceding Rey.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would explode in my seat if we're expecting someone like Luke or Yoda but Oss Willum or Nomi Sunrider appeared instead.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Considering that Qui-Gon was the first Jedi to ever learn how to become a Force Ghost, I would say that this specific retcon does not look very probable.

On topic, they should just make "The Ninth Jedi" official canon, and create an entire new trilogy + multiple tv shows in that era, with those protagonists. That single Visions episode is so good, that it could totally be the base for a new era in the franchise in my opinion.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Come one, come all! Discuss all of that crazy Jedi stuff in this custom made thread!

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Agreed on the semantics game. It seemed like Filoni acknowledged it and has moved on from it with Ahsoka's first interaction with Din.

Likely the upcoming show will address this for good.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Hopefully.

He just did it to try and convince George to let her stay alive. Now that that's not a threat any longer, he might be easing off of it.

This entire thing is just because of Filoni's attachment to Ahsoka, and inability to let her go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Mostly Handless, EHT and Sarge like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how long Filoni will keep Ahsoka around for. Ezra he might have long term plans for. But what else is there for Ahsoka Tano. All her friends and family is dead or soon will be.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think what’s important is what does Yoda think of Ahsoka? For all intents and purposes yes she’s a Jedi but does Yoda see it that way? First does he even know she exists still? Second she was trained by Darth Vader, never completed her training and left the Order like her Master did (although under obviously different circumstances). It’s clear in the Siege of Mandalore arc that Mace Windu at least doesn’t view her as a Jedi anymore.

Either way though Yoda is not all knowing. He and Obi-Wan are the only two Jedi he knows for sure escaped. It’s been over twenty years since the purge when he makes that statement. So to him it was in all likelihood probably true but again he doesn’t know everything.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yoda's opinion isn't relevant to me. He and Mace were wrong about Ahsoka in Season 5. To be honest, I think Mace is a real jerk in TCW. But, regardless, the characters think what the writers want them to think. This is all motivated by Filoni wanting to have his cake and eat it too. I just go by my own judgement, because I don't trust the creatives motives.

Ghost, Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  18. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    @Pro Scoundrel
    @Bor Mullet

So a really great potential narrative subject for the future films would be the tensions and conflicts between differing Force groups.

I think it's only natural that Rey would receive some pushback from Jedi recruits when she tells them, Sorry, no attachment, no romance, no kids. And I'm not even sure I can see Rey buying into all that, with her obvious attraction to Ben and willingness to express it to him in TRoS.

Finn also has shown physical attraction to others (Rey, Poe, Jannah), so I can't really see him easily obeying asceticism to be an "official" Jedi. Finn, for instance, has already resisted the oppressive nihilism of the First Order; I doubt he would embrace it to become part of a religious order.

But however you feel about these issues, the point is that the debate between these views would create an interesting story.

I think my preferred approach would be for Rey and Finn to abandon the "tedious" tenets of the Jedi texts, as Rian Johnson framed them, and to perhaps come into conflict with some PT Jedi Order survivors with different beliefs.

Obviously, in my version the PT Jedi survivors would be the antagonists, if not outright villains, trying to create a destructively puritanical Jedi Order.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d be into it.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

I’d like that.

But you’d have to have a well-crafted story if they’re both lightsiders.

And if one is tainted with the dark side, it easily becomes Jedi vs Sith/Sith-similar version 74648221.

Whereas if both/all sides are light-side, they would want to negotiate and discuss peacefully (even if passionately) which might not make a great action movie. Thought could be good books.

There’s a way to tell an interesting movie/show where both/all Force faction sides are in the light, but like I said it would need to be well-crafted. (For example - There’s another war going on with some generic Imperial remnants or Space Orcs, for the action, but the real story and tension is in this conflict between good guys. Character drama, relationship drama, strained families and friends and perhaps lovers who see each other on opposite sides, etc. without them ever coming to physical blows. Just maybe the division causing messy coordination, making them weaker to outside attackers. And I’d hope in such a case that they’d learn to co-exist and coordinate without necessarily all adopting the same view and instead agreeing to disagree on some matters and allow for diversity of opinions/philosophies/practices/traditions).

Sarge likes this.
  21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think to use the idea of attachments to create conflict and tension sorta misses the point of why it exists. Because if you really got into why it exists vs why the no attachment can be gotten rid off... then attachments have very few positives compared to why the rule existed in the first place.

To have a group of jedi say hey we want attachments to exist means you have to come up with a way they can be safe from the sort of corruption that convinced Anakin to kill people because he was so emotionally disrupted by fear of losing his attachment that he stopped caring about everyone but that attachment. Because if you can't come up with a way to make it safe, then at some point attachment would corrupt at least of that number. And if you expand on that group then potentially you will add to that number as time went on.

Rey already grew not having any training for attachment so she probably would still feel attachment of sorts. But chances are to train to be a jedi she would have to train mentally to control those feelings. You can't really be controllable for your emotional attachments otherwise things can go wrong.

To create 2 sides of an argument you need to have a good argument to make. But if the argument is just that its unfair Jedi can’t have attachments, then that’s not really a positive to fight back against a negative. It’s more a fail soon to happen.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    At least for me, I wasn’t thinking necessarily it being attachments, but really anything (such as the ideas in my first post) that led to a split and different Force cultures/orders.