main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The Jedi are the guardians of the Republic and avatars of the light so I definitely think we need to see Jedi. As for the threat they face, personally I'd like to see future movies exploring the Force Gods and beings like that. I'd like to see the Jedi coming up against true masters of the Force who view the Jedi and Sith alike as amateurs, maybe even heretics, undeserving of the power of the Force.

2. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    I like the breadcrumbs that Lucasfilm has left behind that could set up post-TROS stories about rebuilding the Jedi order:

1. Rey has her own lightsaber and the ancient Jedi texts (as well as the companionship of some trusted Jedi ghosts)
    2. Broomboy (and others like him?) are still out there
    3. Ezra Bridger’s story of what is next has yet to be told
    4. Ahsoka Tano is presumably still out there (at least until events occurring soon after ROTJ)
    5. Maz Kanata is an elder who knows of the force and likely has many connections throughout the GFFA helpful to Rey
    6. While this one needs to play out, the Child from the Mandalorian TV show would approximately be a “teenager” if still alive after the events of TROS
    7. Karr from the Force Collector book was left is in an interesting place, story-wise, as it relates to the events of the Sequel Trilogy

3. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I'd like to see the Order look more like Luke (at the end of RoTJ), i.e., attachments are embraced, there should be a central temple, and they should not be affiliated w/ the new government. They should be "protectors of the light"and when their purposes match, they should of course help the government.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Luke didn't have "attachments." He had friends that he was compassionate towards. There is nothing in Jedi doctrine stating that Jedi could not have compassion towards people, including people they know well.

However, the Jedi Order should absolutely continue to discourage Jedi from treating friends and family more favorably than others in need. That's fundamental to them fulfilling their duty.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke broke the no attachments rule when he got his robot arm.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm hoping for more unique Force orders and less Sith TBH.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Touché!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  8. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I disagree. "Friend," by definition (Merriam-Webster) is "one attached to another by affection or esteem."

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm not talking about "attachment" as defined by Merriam-Webster. I'm talking about "attachment" as defined by Buddhist philosophy, which is clearly the influence behind George's use of the term.

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I was just reading a Buddhist fable and what the Western world defines as "attachment" is far different than what the "Asian" sphere of the world defines them as such in many of their various religions and schools of thought.

From what I know of Lucas, he was definitely inspired by the former; keep in mind that he was very much influenced by the trends of the 60s and 70s (which included interest in East Asian philosophies), not that he didn't go against some of them, mind you.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Inspired by the latter, I think you meant to say.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    LFL seems to only think of the Jedi as a group that's either, 1) near extinct, 2) going to eventually be near extinct, 3) or just on the cusp of a comeback that we have yet to see.

What is the future of the force users? My guess is that it'll always be one of the three groups. It's hard to imagine the franchise bringing back the Jedi in a post-TROS set of movies and letting them exist indefinitely. I'm not saying no Jedi can ever die or that they can't suffer a big loss. I'm just saying that TPTB should keep them off the endangered species list. I'm so tired of the Jedi only getting these three story options.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think post TROS we will see the jedi grow slowly, in in a future movie or show they won't be in the thousands, but probaly around hundreds of jedi. I could see the jedi grow double in number with now trainning all force users all from low to high midiclorians count. those that don't become jedi can become new guardians of the whills.

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    On a side note if by some miracle LFL does bring back the Jedi post-TROS it'll be a reminder that Rey Palpatine almost effortlessly achieved something else that Luke Skywalker failed to do.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Luke helped her on that path .

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It was the least he could do after almost killing his nephew and giving up on everything and sitting around waiting to die while the galaxy burned.

17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'd be curious to see in the EU how Rey goes about discovering Force users for her academy. Also, whether she'll be able to find the lightsabers on Tattooine. She buried them pretty deep. ;-)

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They won't use lightsabers. they will use friendship

CernStormrunner likes this.
  19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think I'm in the minority but I really hope Rey doesn't start a Jedi academy.

Mostly Handless and DarthKreVass like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Even if she does I'm betting we don't see her do it in a movie.

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  21. staticdash22

staticdash22 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Personally, I’m not a fan of making the Jedi path more accommodating to people. I just feel like that removes the personal stakes and the sacrifice that one needs to give up in order to truly walk that path.
    Luke has said this many time in legends and through the old Jedi academy video games, “If the path of the Jedi was easy, there’d be thousands of us, but there aren’t”

I think welcoming just anyone and everyone is a bad idea. Some people, they need to be turned down because of the innate danger in their training. Or they have ulterior motives for wanting to become a Jedi. Everybody that comes to you that wants it, shouldn’t be one. It’s a path not a lot of people can walk.

You don’t have to agree with every way of life the Jedi have. That’s the beauty of being a particular force religion, there are unique qualities to each. Luke’s Jedi order, or Rey’s shouldn’t strive to be a perfect rendition because there are no perfect organizations, no perfect people. It’s more interesting when I can actually disagree on various aspects and that’s why the prequel trilogy made the Jedi so much more interesting to me. Their culture and their beliefs/practices, or traditions caused lots of debate. Good and bad.

Knowing that the path will be long and hard, and come with sacrifice, that will weed out the people who aren’t fit for it.

I understand where the whole marriages and love attachments thing came from as George was inspired by celibate Catholics and monks who’ve chosen the virgin lifestyle.
    Now I think Rey shouldn’t encourage or discourage it, let it be up to the individual.

Bring the order into line with modern day Christianity, etc. Maybe her goal is she feels like unlike the past, the Jedi way and ideals should be spread to all corners of the galaxy. We’d be starting at a future in line with the modern world. Many different faiths well known and practiced. Where the Jedi path is made up of force users and non force users like the church of the force.

They support the students who walk the path to become Jedi. They travel the galaxy to spread the ideals of the light side far and wide. Just like today with the Mormon beliefs and Christian church who go on mission trips.
    Just some ideas.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think we definitely need to see a more established Jedi Order again, but the question is, when? How would Rey's Jedi Order be different than an Old/High Republic Order? They might both be similar, for all we know, allowing marriage, etc -- maybe the High Republic Jedi did that, before banning it? We don't know yet, do we?

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    She won't. She is the Jedi now. The only reason she will start an Academy is to lure in potential Padawans so that she can suck their life force and live forever.

Mostly Handless and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think She along with other force senstives will start it together like a group of force senstives, kinda like the founders of hogwarts. Rey, Finn, Ahsoka, Jacen, Ezra, and teenage Yoda.

25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Lucas, via The Clone Wars, makes it pretty clear that the PT Jedi Order was deeply flawed. Colin Trevorrow was onto this with his screenplay: the new Jedi need to embrace their humanity, which means embracing both love and anger in their proper levels and context.

Jedi should be able to marry and love in order to be healthy. They should also be allowed to be angry when there's something worth being angry about. That's balance. Light and dark working together in a functional way. The most important value is being selfless instead of being selfish (Lucas).

I think we could possibly skip Rey's Jedi years by fastforwarding to the time after her leadership has reestablished a Jedi Order the style of which I described above. Baby Yoda could be the leader or one of the key Knights of this Order, having trained under Rey and inherited her values and wisdom.

And yes there should be a new Jedi Order, whether that's achieved via an "academy" or something more like a temple. The GFFA needs many Jedi, not just one or two. It's a big place afterall; one or two Jedi is massively insufficient.

cratylus likes this.