main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I have an idea. If chat threads are part of the problem, why don't we try this. Lock all the chat threads, the open an official chat thread, which is modertated by a single moderator whose main purpose is to moderate that thread, which would ensure that no flaming or spamming occurs.
    What do you think?

There is no way a single moderator would be able to moderate a thread 24/7. Besides, it is ridiculous to get mods just a moderate a chat thread. Bear in mind that the moderators are volunteers, and there is no reason why we should be subjecting them to something like this.

If we cant clean up the JC then either we arent trying harder enough 1) try harder (most positive solution) or get rid of it . . . (not good)

Getting rid of the JCC, or the thread currently inside, is not an option that we even want to consider. Cleaning it up from now onwards would require a consensus among the posters there. Moderators and rules alone cannot ensure that it is done.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    This must be quite an extensive list if it takes a week to make. ;)

3. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Dan, actually I wasn't thinking of making a list of threads that we don't want pruned. I was thinking instead that if the admins want to manually prune threads, it would probably be from the back, threads that are 6 months old. In that case, I was thinking that users might want to "up" all their threads that have been sunk for quite a long time but which mean a lot to them. And of course, since a lot of them might only pop in once or twice a week, it would be good to give at least a week's notice.

4. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I was actually talking about the list of troublemakers that was being worked on. Sorry for the confusion.

5. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    What would be the point of manually pruning threads? ?[face_plain]

6. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Probably no point, but I think that it would be safer than simply allowing Snowboards to prune any thread that thinks it's going into the "meal machine". Actually I didn't mean "manually pruning", but rather setting an option to prune all threads, say, more than 5 months old as of present. Don't know if Snowboards has such an option right now, but it's better than taking chances with the software.

Dan: 'tis fine. Sorry.

7. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Valiowk, it wouldn't be 24/7. It would just ensure that the posts would eventually be read. It would be better than our current system of the chat threads not even being read at all. Heck I'd do it if it were for the better of the jcc.

8. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I think this is all crap. The senate was created because community is all garbage. What's wrong with having a spot for stupid spammy threads, if their not interfering with other stuff? To close or erase the JCC will just send the trash everywhere else. You think the lit forum is pissed now!?

As far as mod's being overworked...just appoint more! They are free, you know. And please, spare me any talk about what an arduous and daunting task it is in selecting them. There are plenty of law abiding posters( unlike myself) who would do a fine job.

I agree that most of the crap in community is just that..crap. But obviously people enjoy putting it there, so why not let them? It doesn't keep people from talking about sw in their respected forums, nor does it intrude on serious matters of the senate.But if people lose their spot for crap and spam, it will surely work it's way into those other areas. And people don't have to read the crap, anyway. I spend a majority of my time here in community, and I don't bother with prom threads and the like- but it doesn't bother me that it's there. Why should it?

Leave it alone!

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    What BobaFetish said.

10. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Actually I didn't mean "manually pruning", but rather setting an option to prune all threads, say, more than 5 months old as of present. Don't know if Snowboards has such an option right now, but it's better than taking chances with the software.

Snowboards already does have automatic pruning. If I remember correctly, pruning time is determined by the amount of time since the last post and the total number of responses.

I don't remember the specifics, but threads with almost no responses get pruned after a few months while longer threads last longer before pruning.

Fanfiction is the only forum where the pruning option is turned off.

11. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "There are plenty of law abiding posters( unlike myself) who would do a fine job."

This is so true. I can name a few off the top of my head that deserve to be (at least) mods.

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
  13. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    I realize I'm coming into this a bit late, but I find it ironic that the admins/mods are complaining about socks, when many of them have socks themselves, and willingly created socks with some degree of admin power last Halloween. [face_plain]

14. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    [image=http://www.preacherboy.net/images/lordban_button.jpg]

15. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Is there something the responsible members of the JCC can do to help? Besides remaining responsible members, that is.

16. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I just want to know why so many threads have suddenly been locked in this forum. It's a mess!

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Actually, as far as this forum goes, its the policy that has been implemented over the past couple of months. Basically, once a question has been answered, the thread gets locked. Just to try and keep threads from turning into chat threads. There was a whole long topic about it (started by myself actually) that fleshes it out pretty good.

About this new Communications policy....

18. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    If you guys need moderators to help, I'm up for it.

19. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Riding, that's the quickest way to not become a mod around here.

20. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    I think there needs to be some more room for rebuttle in that communications policy.

21. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Mentioning you'd be wiling to help isn't a big deal. Nagging incessently just makes us not want to promote you. We put off promoting DarthSapient for a long time for this very reason. However, he was very qualified so we decided to go ahead with it.

If you want to be a mod, the best way to do it is show that you know and can follow the rules, and are willing to help out in the forum by assisiting with info threads, alerting us to trouble spots, and things like that. :)

22. General

General Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2002
    Sounds yummy.

23. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    If you want to be a mod, you need to get out more.

24. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
  25. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    It's funny because it's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.